What's new

How do you guys feel about how specials are enhanced in MK11?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I'm a bit mixed on it personally. I can live with it even though I don't quite get the point of it. We have always just pressed a single button to meter burn specials but with MK11 it looks like every special has a different way to be enhanced as Ketchup & Mustard stated in one of their recent videos.

I am sure that most of us will get the hang of it in no time after practicing our characters and it will become second nature just as our strings/bnbs do but I still don't know what the point of the change is other than just to have an extra thing for us to have to memorize. Maybe one day the devs will explain why they decided to make this change?

Anyway what are your thoughts? Like? Dislike? Don't care?

Maybe that could make it a toggle option or something. You can have the new inputs or switch back to R2 if you prefer in the options menu. Everybody wins.
Yeah that would be the most favoured option, because I believe the new inputs are easier on pad, while the R2 is easier for controllers.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think if I was asked I would say the meter burn thing we have been doing from MK9 and the n across 3 other games and and nearly a generation of player, is fine. I see no reasoning behind suddenly making unique button extenders to all these moves. I feel that the old way not only works, it worked extremely well.

I would love someone to come in this thread and explain to me why unique button codes on tons of different moves does foe the game. Besides making it harder to play and make learning multiple characters more difficult.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I'm torn. I'm a stick player so depending on the button the move is executed with, meter burning with the block button can get awkward. At the same time, I'm used to it. I hope they give you a choice between old style and new style like the other poster described. The new way could be easier on a stick which is good for me.

Last edited:

CG Nino

Noob
My only guess is they had unintended issues with having the mb for every move with the fact that you need to hold the button to trigger the Krush blows in the mode most people will be using, you have to hold the input on some of those specials so maybe that was causing issues.

Also I believe it may be a way to artificially make people learn their chars more and not be able to hop chars as easily / counter pick as easily.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Boon has said that it was due to the gameplay designers wanting it to feel more natural to what the moves were & that he didn't like it. .so after the response its more than likely to change back.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
It's one of the few gameplay changes that I don't care for. It feels so arbitrary. Obviously I'll learn and adapt if they keep it this way but it's just going to make picking up new characters more annoying. It doesn't add mechanical depth or alter the execution barrier in any meaningful way, it just seems to be change for the sake of change. Overall I don't think it's that big of a deal but it still doesn't make much sense.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
I'm not a fan of it in its current state - as it is it none of the commands are any more complex than hitting R2 and they'll embed themselves into your muscle memory just as quickly. It's just insanely pointless.

if they expand on it and add multiple commands for different effects - maybe say, a move has 2 options, amplify it for more damage w/ u2, or amplify it to give a hard knockdown or something with d3, that would make more sense imo. That seems like a huge stretch and also dumb but idk, it's literally the only thing i could think of that would justify using commands instead of R2.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
It seems like such a useless change. Right trigger meter burn was perfectly. You shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken at all imo.

I'm fine with literally every change they've made, and that's the only one that irked me because nobody asked for that lol.

They got rid of run because people asked them to.

They got rid of 50/50s because people asked them to.

I didn't see anyone ask them to change any kind of inputs like that.

Honestly, if they made the walk speeds a bit quicker or made dashes a little faster then I feel like more or less everyone would be happy.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I am not a fan either. They could've just made you tap the same button a second time to amplify the special. Giving every move a different comand is just adding fake difficulty.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I don't really care for the change. I mean I'll adapt if it's necessary, but not something I'm in favor of.
I know Sub-Zero's amp slide is 1+3. Which he basically does a throw followup .... So .... That one would be easier to do. I think that so long as the command number is the same to amplify with it wouldn't be so bad. Like df1 freeze ball... Amp by pressing 1 again. Like DB2 for blade spark and 2 again to amp.. Idk though. Doing stuff like db3 for teleport and then u2 to amp it is way counterintuitive

I mean maybe it's a flow that makes sense when you're actually playing it, but even the pros dislike it.... Well I know REO is in favor of the change.

I just hope they have a toggle for R2 or the new system like they have for pad directionals vs stick directionals

It doesn't bother me at all but i think the X Ray/Fatal Blow should have gotten that treatment instead/as well. You get it for free in this game and they do insane damage yet you only have to press two buttons? seems way too generous to me especially considering that if doesn't land....well it's ok! Here is a new attempt for free....I just don't get their reasoning there

Kal

<3
I find it stupid and pointless. There was nothing wrong with the old way, and this new way doesn't add depth or anything. It's just an annoyance, completely unnecessary. Why "fix" what's not broken?

if they expand on it and add multiple commands for different effects - maybe say, a move has 2 options, amplify it for more damage w/ u2, or amplify it to give a hard knockdown or something with d3, that would make more sense imo. That seems like a huge stretch and also dumb but idk, it's literally the only thing i could think of that would justify using commands instead of R2.
You bring up a great point/idea. This would make complete sense if moves had more options, and that's actually rather smart. That would be the only good reason to do that.

i really hope that mk11 will be an execution heavy game.
it would be amazing!

besides, i like to play games first in order to tell how X feels like.

Having seen some of the commands I don't hate it quite as much as I expected, but it does feel off. The biggest issue being with mashable ex moves, as that just leads to casuals fucking them up all the time while pros know exactly how many button presses to trigger and enhance and get used to it. Not really desired gameplay.