What's new

How can Mk12 be better than Mk11?

Obviously this is years from happening, but I thought since so many are dissatisfied with core aspects of MK11 that this question could serve as a useful framework for brainstorming ways to improve MK. So, when we're given a whole new game with a brand new design, what would you hope to see?

My Mk12 wishlist:
Do away with the variation system entirely
Deepen every moveset in the game to make this the most "dimensional" roster yet; every character should feel like a "complete" character, and more so than in any MK to date.
Avoid repeating mkx mixfest meta or mk11 strike/throw meta and please god no Injustice zoning meta; make something new!
Make the game just a little bit faster
Zoning capabilities not handed out like candy to every member of the cast
No S tier. No Sonyas/Cetrions that have the best tools/traits from every archetype.
The roster is more representative of archetypes in general; characters should feel more distinct.

Last edited:
no variation system
more ninjas
no wb meddling
no paulo
no fatal blow (in their current state at least)
no krushing blow throws
no krushing blow d2s
no 50/50 throws
no characters that excel at everything
wifi filters
no mocap
no recovery frames after letting go of block

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
1) no variations at all needed. No custom variations (because 95% ov moves and animations will be ussless, you have 1-2 best builds and 95% of players will play with that), better make more characters, than custom and simple variations

2) No Jackui Hao

3) No Hsu Briggs

4) different online-servers for wi-fi subhumans

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Stop paying homage and making it a priority to overpower relatively new characters and BRAND new characters over legacy characters.
I consider legacy characters MK3 and previous.

Like I said months ago at this rate we're gonna have a top 5 tier consisting of jax and kitanas grandkids in MK13 and prob no Cage no Sonya or a weak and a slew of under powered bunk legacy characters

Stop paying homage and making it a priority to overpower relatively new characters and BRAND new characters over legacy characters.
I consider legacy characters MK3 and previous.

Like I said months ago at this rate we're gonna have a top 5 tier consisting of jax and kitanas grandkids in MK13 and prob no Cage no Sonya or a weak and a slew of under powered bunk legacy characters
Jax, Sonya and Jhonny need to retire. I was so sure that they wouldn't be around in 11, i couldn't believe they made it again

Jax, Sonya and Jhonny need to retire. I was so sure that they wouldn't be around in 11, i couldn't believe they made it again
Hm yeah I wouldn't mind if some of the legacy characters took a backseat in the next one. Maybe we could get tons of new entrants and/or reintroduce some of the 3d characters? Then NRS wouldn't have to write in an excuse for the legacy characters to be fighting each other for a millionth time

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Game is close to perfect the way it is...but

1. FB/KB need toned down. We don't need extreme come back mechanics.

2. No more variations. The meta still boils down to 1, maybe 2 variations per characters. Just give us complete characters. I'm also sick of learning all these vatiations. It's boring.

3. No more 50/50 throws, or throws that lead to oki midscreen. Strike/throw is probably the biggest issue in the game.

4. Please do better with hitboxes, NRS...please.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Avoid repeating mkx mixfest meta or mk11 strike/throw meta and please god no Injustice zoning meta; make something new!

I'm just curious what this would be. What does offense look like in a game without 50/50's, without strike/throw, and without zoning? Those are all pretty fundamental aspects of fighting games, take those away and I'm not sure what you're left with.

Does anyone actually count and compare the amount of moves individual variations have as opposed to the "complete characters" we had prior to variations.

In the vast majority of cases we have more or the same amount of moves. Imma be ticked if I get less content next game because a bunch of players who didn't fact check their complaints.

Better animation.
Nah MK and stiff animations is a sailed vessel. Too iconic now lol

I'm just curious what this would be. What does offense look like in a game without 50/50's, without strike/throw, and without zoning? Those are all pretty fundamental aspects of fighting games, take those away and I'm not sure what you're left with.
Not saying those elements wouldn't be alive and strong, just that whatever the meta is it shouldn't be exactly the same as an existing MK game. For example Mk12 could have more 50/50s than Mk11, with less throwing, but still not be a copy of mkx's gameplay. It's really about what tools and strategies work the best and are therefore most used by the community; NRS could put in a whole new mechanic, like imagine if every character has a universal way of getting a dizzy, and it evolves in the community that going for a dizzy is better than going for anything else, then maybe you could say it's a "dizzy meta". Ultimately it's on the competitive community to decide what the dominant approach will be.

Last edited:

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Get rid of variations. If you're gonna have the throws be tech'd by a certain button, have it be like Tekken, and distinguish which direction they'll throw you with their arm. I would love for only 3 breakers to come back per match but I was debating if maybe add a counter breaker too like the recent KI, or dropping a combo early to bait them into it. More unique and varied playstyles, like I was thinking give Noob different types of portals, and let his shadows go through them that changes their properties on its attacks, like an upward portal above Noob, lets his rising shadow teleports near the opponent for an overhead. Oh and get rid of character specific chapters in story mode, whoever needs to win, let us play as them, OR (in an ideal world), have any match we lose actually have an impact on the story. I'd love KB and FB if they were just toned down a bit

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Um, well, I think the only way we can make MK12 better is by bringing back Mileena. :)

And Skarlet, with this design because her skins in this game are perfection and people who disagree can choke. And bring back the same voice actress because I'll accept nothing else.

And I guess there could be some gameplay things they change idk whatever. Mileena and Skarlet are the two most important things.

Does anyone actually count and compare the amount of moves individual variations have as opposed to the "complete characters" we had prior to variations.

In the vast majority of cases we have more or the same amount of moves. Imma be ticked if I get less content next game because a bunch of players who didn't fact check their complaints.
I see what you're saying. Idk, maybe the issue of "completeness" isn't solved by removing variations, but I just feel like if NRS made just one move-set per character then we would get more quality there. In Mkx I didn't have this problem, so maybe the answer is to just do variations better next time.

I actually think NRS did a pretty good job with most of the things on your list already. I think as long as they continue to do what they've done with MKX, Injustice 2, and MK11, then MK12 will be just fine.
Yeah I think they did an outstanding job with this game, and will continue to do so with their other games. This thread is mainly intended to probe what others are dissatisfied with, not to address my personal list.

But when it does come to my grievances it really boils down to two things: balance and depth. The first is cut and dry but as to depth idk. I'm just getting bored with this game lately. It feels "shallow". My intuition is they should create larger, more holistic move sets for every character.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Sometimes I wonder if things like character diversity and character balance end up working in opposition of each other. Making 25+ characters that are all diverse, and distinctly represent all the different archetypes, while also having a high degree of balance, seems like a pretty tough combo. One of the things I like best about NRS is their ability to be creative and include different moves, but I think that's also lead to some characters that end up being weaker. I think it's a fine tradeoff, but that's personal opinion.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yeah I think they did an outstanding job with this game, and will continue to do so with their other games. This thread is mainly intended to probe what others are dissatisfied with, not to address my personal list.

But when it does come to my grievances it really boils down to two things: balance and depth. The first is cut and dry but as to depth idk. I'm just getting bored with this game lately. It feels "shallow". My intuition is they should create larger, more holistic move sets for every character.

My grievance is that it feels like at times they're really going out of their way to keep things conservative, especially when it comes to special moves that are more set up oriented. I'd love to seem them embrace some of their creativity more, and not be afraid to open things up and give some characters some stronger moves, or keep some of the special moves more powerful.

For example, Raiden could actually get some interesting setups with his lightening rod, but the way the move works currently the rod is on the screen for such a short time, and his projectiles are so slow, that he gets very little out of it. I'd love to see them embrace more moves like that, and not be as worried about things being OP.

Wigy

There it is...
Functional hurtboxes.
No machine gun low pokes
More updates. Your game is not balanced on release don't wait 4 months to patch it with anything close to meaningful.
Extra content which is not grinding for shit, pvp tag mode, or mad modifiers, test your luck etc.
More fluid movement system to allow for better combo game. This game feels a lot boring and less fun to play as there's no as much diversity in combo path routes and conversions.