What's new

'Hopefully, if we’ve done our job right, we’ll have left our fans still wanting more' - and we're always ready to take their money!

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Yup, that's why am not buying it. I'll sit this one out and just wait until i can get it for like 5 dollars through 3rd party store. enough milking.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
80$ bucks is a lot for DLC for a game that has microtransactions. And it's not competitive with the price of most game's DLC. Even some other fighters.

I'm going to buy it because I want the Story DLC and I've really enjoyed the game but it's expensive. 40$ dollars got you 9 characters in Injustice 2 along with some free updates and you got almost everything DLC wise. You're potentially paying double that in exchange for skin packs and story mode, along with this big update with new stages and whatnot. Do MK11 characters just cost so much more to make? And these skins are ambiguous future releases, they don't even have a name for them yet. Is that 2 months? A year? How many skins? Talk about value

But I let NRS/WB get my money

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
It's expensive enough that for me personally I probably won't buy it, at least not at first, but I don't think it's that unreasonable of a price.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
After buying RE3 on launch, everything right now sounds normal in terms of exploiting passion for money.
LOL. Well-said. I feel the same way.

I tend to stay away from discussions about prices. The reality is that some people have more cash in their pockets than others while some people rarely play anything that is not Mortal Kombat so they save up in order to purchase all the content. The discussion is subjective in nature.

I guess in order to give people some perspective, I remember when Namco released the frame data add-on, a feature that NRS fighting games have had for free for the previous three games, for Tekken 7. The optional add-on costs five dollars, yet Harada and Murray received lots of criticism, which I thought was silly. Of course, there is a difference between five and forty dollars, especially now that 33 million people are unemployed in the U.S.

I do believe that these prices are too high, but animating the story mode costs a lot of money from what I hear and hence the high prices. Most players on this website are only interested in the characters anyway.

Also the extra story should be in the very least longer than the main one, which i highly doubt It will be the case.
I'm expecting between five to seven Chapters for this Story Mode. One for Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, Sindel, Sheeva, and Fujin, and possibly Liu Kang and Raiden. Seven Chapters would be a fair Expansion Set Story length, in my opinion. I'm basing this off of classic expansion sets for other games, and their Campaign length from games of old (i.e. Starcraft: Brood War, Half-Life: Opposing Force, etc.).

My point is, do people here not hold jobs? If you do, do you work for free?

It's the same shit from MKX KP2 all over again. No, buying the premium version does NOT entitle you to anything outside what the Premium edition promises, simple.
It's not about people working or the amount of disposable income they have, it's about the value of the content and product being sold. This is subjective, and the best thing people can do is vote with their wallet.

For Kombat Pack 2 from Mortal Kombat XL, the pricing structure was different. Here's a link showing it, and this would be in US dollars. As a Canadian, costs are usually increased by $10.00 to those shown in the link.

Interestingly, because I played the PC version and had to wait until October 2016 for it to release on my platform, Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment released it with a huge discount for the first few days of it's launch. I paid $11.31 Canadian, tax included, for Kombat Pack 2 and the Crimson Ermac Skin in October 2016.

You are absolutely correct though that by buying the Premium Edition of Mortal Kombat 11, one is not entitled to better pricing of future content.

You know what, I paid $30k for a new car while back, and not less than 6 months later there was a facelift with new standard features, new soundsystem and some other goodies... and cheaper than what i paid!

Clearly i'm an idiot because i didn't go back to the dealership jumping up and down that i should be getting those extra's added to my car for a nominal price, or just downright complaining that someone can get a newer, better car for less.

Had i known i may have waited, or i could look at the brighter side, i had a new car to enjoy for that 6months instead of my old clanker. Was it worth the difference in price... maybe.

It's the way business works.

You are absolutely correct though that by buying the Premium Edition of Mortal Kombat 11, one is not entitled to better pricing of future content.
And that's just the point. Premium Edition had some extra goodies added. That is why you pay the higher price, not because you're special and deserve some sort of discount on future content you and wanted to pay for that special edition. If that was the case it would be on the box.. "Premium Edition includes $10 discount code for future DLC!"

Do these people also complain when banana's drop in price as well?

If people want to complain about the price, go ahead. Even better don't buy it so WB sees the low sales figures at that price. But don't go on as though it's something that should be given to you or discounted for you just because you decided to pay a premium price at launch. Every decision is yours and no one elses.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK. It's certainly not out of norm or even as obnoxious as some things. I dropped almost a $100 for GBFV, and in the end I got a normalish sized roster, and them trying to get me to buy 2 more stages in a game that needed more stages. I bought DOA6 on launch day, for them to turn it into F2P one week later. I knew that was on the schedule at some point, but nobody thought that was happening after one week.

This probably represents a lot of people's work over the last year, and a not insignificant cost spent on acting. Without knowing how long that is compared to the base story line, it's hard to know exactly how to score that, but if there isn't another major release that ups the bar again due in about a year, then this also could be factoring in as a way to move away from their every two years trend without drastically altering their incoming revenue.

Lots of the content is free, but in a world where nothing is free the cost gets moved to the people willing to actually spend money. That probably seems unfair depending on what side of the fence you are on, but it's probably in everyone's best interest to draw more players online again; even if it is for just a couple of weeks. If you put it all into the sold package, and the thing cost half, wouldn't you still have angry people for one reason or another?

I certainly don't find it odd that early adopters pay more, and we also most certainly play more. I bought 3 versions of the base game (I think all at full price) and two copies of the Kombat Pack (both at 50%). In total I've probably clocked 800 hours on the game in one year and I'm not special in that. It's wonderful the idea that eventually you can play forever on your investment, but compared to cost of some entertainment per hour it's hard for me to not feel like I've gotten a pretty good return on my investment so far. The last time I went to the theater it was almost $60 for two people for something that lasted less than 3 hours. And if I wanted to buy that movie later, I can expect to spend $20 for the off chance I might watch it again; which rarely happens.

Lots of people drop $60 a game at launch to only play it for a few days to a couple of weeks and then move on. I'm personally not OK doing that regularly, so unless it's a fighter where I'm likely to spend hundreds of hours, I just wait because things always devalue over time. If it's important to me then I can choose what time and cost makes the most sense in a given situation. I'm personally still looking forward to playing Sekiro once it hit's $25.

I guess I just don't feel early adoption is an entitlement factor for something we've already gotten so much play out of. It's nice when you get stuff for free, but this represents a new investment on their part, and content is the only thing they have to sell. My question would boil down to if the content is worth it all it's own. I think there is room there to feel it's not. I'm not totally sure what I'll do. The Friendships and stages are free and represent the content I'm the most interested in emotionally, but then I also like the look of the characters. I'm not sure they are worth that much on their own, but then being able to lab against them as someone that plays a lot is hard to put value on. Not having Shao Kahn to lab against has been annoying after a beat down.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Funniest thing is that I've seen people here who talk shit about the game ALL THE TIME, complaining about the price.

Why are those people complaining? Since they hate they game, do they intend to buy the DLC? That's asinine!
Yes there are some folks on here who are obnoxious and spew nothing but nonsense, but I think a lot of folks are just disappointed with how this game has been done so far. Disappointed that it sounds like this is going to be the last MK for a while. Although they're unhappy with the game, they have no interest in playing anything else because anything else is not Mortal Kombat. Some (not all) of the people who are most vocal about their unhappiness with the game are the most loyal to the franchise. And yeah, they will buy the DLC because it's MK. And I think they have a right to be a little miffed about needing to pay $140 in all to access all the content.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Yes there are some folks on here who are obnoxious and spew nothing but nonsense, but I think a lot of folks are just disappointed with how this game has been done so far. Disappointed that it sounds like this is going to be the last MK for a while. Although they're unhappy with the game, they have no interest in playing anything else because anything else is not Mortal Kombat. Some (not all) of the people who are most vocal about their unhappiness with the game are the most loyal to the franchise. And yeah, they will buy the DLC because it's MK. And I think they have a right to be a little miffed about needing to pay $140 in all to access all the content.
They only need $140 if they want it day one. If it's too much, they can wait a couple of months for a deal - WB games are almost immediately on Sale.

For me, I never have an issue with people expressing their frustration over a product that doesn't meet their expectations, it's the way people often do it that leaves much to be desired.

There's a difference between constructively criticizing, and just flat out whining and complaining for the sake of whining and complaining. On the internet overall, people seem to oft do the latter.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
For me, I never have an issue with people expressing their frustration over a product that doesn't meet their expectations, it's the way people often do it that leaves much to be desired.

There's a difference between constructively criticizing, and just flat out whining and complaining for the sake of whining and complaining. On the internet overall, people seem to oft do the latter.
You should check out gamefaqs. There are like, fifteen different threads of shitting the DLC and the price.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I adore the members who think that people who complain hate the game or are invalid in some way.

I love MK, pretty much have since 3 years old when Id get my ass bopped by my older cousin in MK2 on SNES. I even like this game, but can see clearly flaws. The most glaring one in todays time is dev-consumer connection and communication and the most controversial being that there are intrinsic flaws that makes a great base game feel dry and boring- i.e, Meter regen, breakaways, Fatal Blows, character depth and archetype identity, and hitbox issues. This is my opinion. I still prefer it to 90% of other fighters(Pretty much all of them but DBFZ), so am I supposed to quit playing so you lot can somehow validate yourself for liking the game more?

This price is ridiculous, regardless of what edition you have or haven't bought. I hope the characters are sold separately so I can drop 18-20 bucks and still whoop ass on everyone who is glad to boot lick a company that doesnt care about its player base.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
MK has always been my favorite franchise, one of the few games I grew up with. I always thought, "they provided me years of happiness, and fun. I don't mind supporting them." I never bought any WB games product day 1 EXCEPT for MK. But as of late I've been getting burned as a fan personally. I don't like the direction this studio has been going, and the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet. I won't be buying this dlc even if discounted, and Idk if I'll be buying any future products from them. Sucks, but that's all you can do. Vote with your wallet

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I adore the members who think that people who complain hate the game or are invalid in some way.

I love MK, pretty much have since 3 years old when Id get my ass bopped by my older cousin in MK2 on SNES. I even like this game, but can see clearly flaws. The most glaring one in todays time is dev-consumer connection and communication and the most controversial being that there are intrinsic flaws that makes a great base game feel dry and boring- i.e, Meter regen, breakaways, Fatal Blows, character depth and archetype identity, and hitbox issues. This is my opinion. I still prefer it to 90% of other fighters(Pretty much all of them but DBFZ), so am I supposed to quit playing so you lot can somehow validate yourself for liking the game more?

This price is ridiculous, regardless of what edition you have or haven't bought. I hope the characters are sold separately so I can drop 18-20 bucks and still whoop ass on everyone who is glad to boot lick a company that doesnt care about its player base.
Joke's on you - I don't play online.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
The struggle alone pleases us, not the victory.

Blaise Pascal
I’m lost, you said you don’t play online, so no struggle either, right?
Also, how ya gonna knock peoples complaints on the games when you don’t play against other humans? Ya know, the place where game balance matters?
I’m not trying to really even single you out, but I know the shoe fit.