What's new

Strategy - Hollywood Hollywood Doesn't Even Need Nutpunches to Be Top Tier

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
In MKX armored launchers are generally punishable, the few exceptions should be normalized. EX flip and EX rekka are just unfair
I was more or less stating Welcome to MKX, where all of the good characters have extremely good bullshit. Either play them and win, or don't and complain about it.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
EX Rekka isnt an armored launcher.
Id honestly rather her launch me for a full combo than have to keep standing and eat probably only 5% less damage in chip. At least if Im being hit I get to gain some meter, when she keeps you standing she just gets more meter and the opponent gets jack shit. Tanyas chip damage is fucking retarded for how safe she is and how much meter she builds

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Id honestly rather her launch me for a full combo than have to keep standing and eat probably only 5% less damage in chip. At least if Im being hit I get to gain some meter, when she keeps you standing she just gets more meter and the opponent gets jack shit. Tanyas chip damage is fucking retarded for how safe she is and how much meter she builds
I dont necessarily disagree, but I just wanted to point out that she technically doesnt have a 1 bar armored launcher.

My bad, my bad. I was referring to her armored combo starter, DF2 ex. I used the wrong move name...the correct one is probably EX Tonfa swipe?
If I understand correctly you are referring to EX tonfa and then MBing the last hit to launch, Correct? Because if so, it should be noted that Tanya isnt likely to spend 2 bars for that unless it will kill. It is much more effective to do two hits of EX Rekka, get the guaranteed b1 2+4 chip, and then continue pressure. It simply isnt worth it to do the combo because you just spent two bars for not great damage when you could get practically the same amount in chip for one bar(if you play your cards right).

Tanya's only armored launcher is EX drill kick, and thats super unsafe on block and on whiff.

Krabman

Noob
I just don't understand how you can create a character with so many tools that has the best of pretty much everything and think its ok

She's fine as she is. If you know the matchup her game is fair. Plenty other characters can 50/50 you to death and have good normals. Perhaps instead of trying to press a button in any scenario, some players should think about how they play and learn the matchup. Seriously, enough with this bs...

shura30

Shura
B12(4)
B12>EX Guns
chip damage, there's on top of my mind at least 2 characters that can chip twice that amount

B12>Nothing
if your opponent knows the matchup will backdash everytime

B212D1+2>EX Guns
chip, see above

B212D1+2>Flipkick
then what?

-8 on block and so punishable by other decent tier character
if you block the overhead there's nothing preventing you low block

nothing to say here

DF1>EX Flipkick
back to 3/4 screen good luck against GMsub or quanchi or shinnok going back in

obviously not downplaying her
but in my (little) experience cassie catches a lot players not willing to learn how to counter her

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
chip damage, there's on top of my mind at least 2 characters that can chip twice that amount
but in my (little) experience cassie catches a lot players not willing to learn how to counter her
What do you mean exactly? Hollywood's not top tier or what?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

if your opponent knows the matchup will backdash everytime

chip, see above

then what?

-8 on block and so punishable by other decent tier character
if you block the overhead there's nothing preventing you low block

nothing to say here

back to 3/4 screen good luck against GMsub or quanchi or shinnok going back in

obviously not downplaying her
Cassie also has an option to blow up every option you complained about. Obviously theres ways to get out of her pressure and stuff, but she also has a way of blowing up every backdash or armor attempt by just cancelling any string into flipkick/Exflipkick.

shura30

Shura
What do you mean exactly? Hollywood's not top tier or what?
you didn't quote the part where I was talking about downplaying
she's definitely top tier but other characters surely don't lack options against her

Cassie also has an option to blow up every option you complained about. Obviously theres ways to get out of her pressure and stuff, but she also has a way of blowing up every backdash or armor attempt by just cancelling any string into flipkick/Exflipkick.
sure, I'll be glad to let you catch my non ex flipkick on block there's posts in this thread saying it's hard to punish and should be more than -20
exflip is an option for sure but it's more of an icing rather than a tool, especially vs characters that can zone

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
ure, I'll be glad to let you catch my non ex flipkick on block there's posts in this thread saying it's hard to punish
exflip is an option for sure but it's more of an icing rather than a tool, especially vs characters that can zone
Flipkick is a pretty easy punish tbh. It's still an option if all someone is doing is backdashing though.

GQJ

Noob
Cassies pressure practically ends if she does B12>nothing, she's -6. The opponent can stuff everything she does except EX DB2, EX BD3, and EX BF4 which are all (except EX flip which is only unsafe against reptile) unsafe but hey-ho I'm not complaining, it's still an option and a part of her game. So it's a guessing game for the opponent of whether she'll do an EX move or not, most likely Flip.
I am interested in understanding this a little better, since I do not have tournament experience or much experience at all. Is stuffing the follow up to B12 done because a player can confirm that the Cassie player will not continue with the 4? B/C I can understand why if the opponent anticipated B12 it would be easy to stuff. This is also assuming that the opponent does not armor.

When I was in practice mode, and set an AI Cassie to do B124 or B12,1 (I couldn't get s2 to reach), I was getting hit by the s1 IF I tried Cassie's s1 myself (I could poke with d3 though). I am new, so I know my reactions aren't great, but B12 has a recovery of 21, which seems pretty hard to react to (this is based on a reaction "game" that I saw posted on tym, where my reaction time was over 26 frames on average).

I am trying to understand the significance between this and a string that is even safer on block (-3, -1)

Thanks.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I am interested in understanding this a little better, since I do not have tournament experience or much experience at all. Is stuffing the follow up to B12 done because a player can confirm that the Cassie player will not continue with the 4? B/C I can understand why if the opponent anticipated B12 it would be easy to stuff. This is also assuming that the opponent does not armor.

When I was in practice mode, and set an AI Cassie to do B124 or B12,1 (I couldn't get s2 to reach), I was getting hit by the s1 IF I tried Cassie's s1 myself (I could poke with d3 though). I am new, so I know my reactions aren't great, but B12 has a recovery of 21, which seems pretty hard to react to (this is based on a reaction "game" that I saw posted on tym, where my reaction time was over 26 frames on average).

I am trying to understand the significance between this and a string that is even safer on block (-3, -1)

Thanks.
You can only be frame perfect on read I believe. I don't play against other Cassies so I don't get to practice this. Guess what Cassie will do and respond however you see fit.

Reactions: GQJ