What's new

Strategy - Hollywood Hollywood Doesn't Even Need Nutpunches to Be Top Tier

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Before I get crucified by my own Cassie brethren, no I'm not saying take it away, but it's an added bonus in my opinion. You can play her in a way that doesn't require them to be used often. Lets take a look at all of the options she has.

B12(4)
B12>EX Guns
B12>Nothing
B212D1+2>EX Guns
B212D1+2>Flipkick
F33
F34
DF1>EX Flipkick

Now, lets talk about the risk/reward. B12(4) can be armored through. However, if you don't throw it out frivolously, or your opponent doesn't know how to fight Cassie, you can mix it in from time to time to keep them on their toes. B12>EX Guns can be armored out of, but it does great chip for those round ending situations. B12>nothing can only be reversed by Cassie and Reptile. At this point, the opponent has to make a decision as to start their offense, or to continue blocking. That's when you make the decision to either back off, or continue pressuring. Reptile's Slipperly Slide startup says 6, but it must be slightly faster than that, since I can't block low after B12. B212D1+2 is uninterruptible. If you space it right, you can get away with a regular Flipkick. If you do EX Guns afterwards, it's good guaranteed chip. F33 can only be reversed by Kung Lao's Spin, Reptile's Slippery Slide, and Cassie's Flipkick. If it connects, that's 14%. F34 can only be reversed by Reptile's slide. If it connects, that's 18%. Sometimes, whether it's due to lack of MU knowledge or simply forgetting, people will only be looking for F34 and forget to block low, which often leads to them getting hit by the second part of F33. DF1>EX Flipkick can only be caught by Reptile's slide. If it connects, you end the combo with a regular Nutpunch and get your guaranteed D3 followup to continue pressure.

In conclusion, the vast majority of the cast basically has to sit and block her offense. You can cause people to make really bad decisions without constant use of the Nutpunches. If you knock them down, don't be scared of wakeups. Just run up and block. If you block, punish accordingly. It'll make them think twice about doing it again. Once you've got them conditioned to stop waking up, just keep piling on the pressure to make them panic and continue making bad decisions. These pressure options in conjunction with Gross' safejump setups amplify Cassie's meter management game. You now only NEED to use meter on breakers, EX Guns, and EX Flipkicks to keep yourself safe when necessary. Feel free to add anything I missed, or elaborate on any of the options discussed above.

@Pan1cMode
@Scott The Scot
@Treadmill
@Jer
@gross
@The Magician
@Youphemism
@Syknis
@RiBBz22
@Espio
@SonicFox5000

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Pretty sure reversal specials don't require being 1 frame faster to punish. Something at -6 can be punished by a 6 frame reversal. Cassie can punish Ermacs D3 (at -6) with a reversal flip. So if there's any 8 frame reversals then that'll punish, and any 7 frame normals should punish.

Cassies pressure practically ends if she does B12>nothing, she's -6. The opponent can stuff everything she does except EX DB2, EX BD3, and EX BF4 which are all (except EX flip which is only unsafe against reptile) unsafe but hey-ho I'm not complaining, it's still an option and a part of her game. So it's a guessing game for the opponent of whether she'll do an EX move or not, most likely Flip.

The opponent should never get hit by F33 ever if they block the overhead. That's just lack of MU knowledge.

I agree with you saying that meter should only be used to be safe or EX guns. I also think nutpunch with plus frame tech should be used all the time. Even if you don't get it +15 at least for the guarenteed 50/50, your opponent has to try to armour or jump out if it's only around +10 and you can catch them trying that with 212 and if you think they'll respect you then you can go for a 50/50; if they guess correctly and you do 212, you're neutral and can continue pressure (or hitconfirm into flip), if they guess correctly on you doing a 50/50 and guess the 50/50 then you can make it safe with EX flip.

Nut punch is still very important. And so is IAGuns.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
In terms of variation-specific tools, f34 has always been the main move I miss when I'm using Cassie and not her Hollywood variation. f34 for life. :D
Yeah, hit that 5 times with virtually no risk and you pretty much win. I figured, what's the point of going for BnBs? Lol.

Pretty sure reversal specials don't require being 1 frame faster to punish. Something at -6 can be punished by a 6 frame reversal. Cassie can punish Ermacs D3 (at -6) with a reversal flip. So if there's any 8 frame reversals then that'll punish, and any 7 frame normals should punish.
Good to know, thanks.

Cassies pressure practically ends if she does B12>nothing, she's -6. The opponent can stuff everything she does except EX DB2, EX BD3, and EX BF4 which are all (except EX flip which is only unsafe against reptile) unsafe but hey-ho I'm not complaining, it's still an option and a part of her game. So it's a guessing game for the opponent of whether she'll do an EX move or not, most likely Flip.

That's why you wait and see how the opponent reacts. If they press a button, you can block. If they use an armored move above 6 frames in expectation of B12(4) or B12>EX Guns and you block it, you can punish. If they do nothing out of fear and continue blocking, then just pressure them again. It's all a mind game.

Scott The Scot

That's why you wait and see how the opponent reacts. If they press a button, you can block. If they use an armor move above 6 frames in expectation of B12(4) and you block, you can punish. If they do nothing out of fear and continue blocking, then just pressure them again. It's all a mind game.
I didn't disagree, I was just adding to it lol. Keep in mind if they suspect that you're just going to wait, they get to start their pressure or just reversal throw you lol.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't the same logic for the most part apply to a lot of characters, especially one with a restanding special?M

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I didn't disagree, I was just adding to it lol. Keep in mind if they suspect that you're just going to wait, they get to start their pressure or just reversal throw you lol.
Oh ok, I thought you were like "THIS'LL NEVER WORK!!11!!" Yep, it varies from person to person. I just have to get a feel of how people deal with certain situations.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
yeah,yeah,interesting thread,but you posted it early,you should do that after she wins a major!

Scott The Scot

yeah,yeah,interesting thread,but you posted it early,you should do that after she wins a major!
She's going to start winning majors later in the games life, once the game is down to no surprises and nothing but MU knowledge. Cassie will be #1 on everyones tier list. People just need to play her correctly I think.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Well since I didn't get a notification I'm going to assume you posted your tags in an edit so I'll tag the people who (as far as I can tell) haven't seen the thread yet so they get a notification this time :p @Pan1cMode @Treadmill @Jer @gross @The Magician @Syknis @RiBBz22 @SonicFox5000

Secondly yes B12 and B212D1+2 mixups are effective but they're in every variation... Looking at Hollywood's tools (nutpunch, instant air guns, 21U4 and F34) even when you take away nutpunch it still has instant air guns which means she still has the best full screen/space control/zoning/anti-zoning game of her three variations, the most (at least corner) damage with 21U4 combos and F34 which is (lbsh) safe and EIGHTEEN percent on hit which is huge for a 3 hit string (right?).

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Well since I didn't get a notification I'm going to assume you posted your tags in an edit so I'll tag the people who (as far as I can tell) haven't seen the thread yet so they get a notificaiton this time :p @Pan1cMode @Treadmill @Jer @gross @The Magician @Syknis @RiBBz22 @SonicFox5000

Secondly yes B12 and B212D1+2 mixups are effective but they're in every variation... Looking at Hollywood's tools (nutpunch, instant air guns, 21U4 and F34) even when you take away nutpunch it still has instant air guns which means she still has the best full screen/space control/zoning/anti-zoning game of her three variations, the most (at least corner) damage with 21U4 combos and F34 which is (lbsh) safe and EIGHTEEN percent on hit which is huge for a 3 hit string (right?).
But bro, shouldn't you be using Cybernetic all the time? What are you even doing in other character forums?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
But bro, shouldn't you be using Cybernetic all the time? What are you even doing in other character forums?
SHHHHHHHHHHHH please don't tell on me Mr Phosferrax my mum will kill me! Jk but we decided to let it go in PMs so quit bringing it back up ya maniac