What's new

Hip Hop Heads Thread

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I'm edgy as hell, and come from a background in metal so this is my type of Hip-Hop as of recent
BUT I love Vince Staples, Kendrick, Run The Jewels, Odd Future, just to name a few
Also I know he's a "Lil" so he is often placed in that category but Lil Peep (RIP) made some pretty good vibe music.
Just checked some out, love the boop vids! It’s kinda trappy more than hip hop imo (nom) but cool vibe! Will check some more out

Hiyomoto

Noob
Forget all that conscious stuff.
“Came with the gang but I'm leaving with your hoe
Damn
Go to Vegas smoke KDs and tote Romos
Club with a stick and I won't take a photo
Take a trip to Cali and go to SoHo
If they searchin' at my show bet I won't go“
:mad:

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Aesop Rock.
Prof is fun,
Eminem (sorry boys, he's good. He used ot be better, but its whatevs)
Busdriver
Can Ox
El-P
Watsky
Jarv
RA the Rugged Man
Talib Kwali
Mos Def

etc.

A lot of the hiphop I see is pretty pathetic actually. The 'fad' is the fast rap stuff, but most of its done terribly. The flow kinda sounds cool, until you realize every "fast" rapper sounds almost exactly the same and the nature of the delivery is such that it actually excludes a lot of what you can say. If you compare verses between rapper with that style, you'll see what I mean.

For an interesting example of fast done well, check out Jarv, Mac Lethal, etc. Its the staccato delivery done correctly, and not obnoxious repetition and over-used dumb shit.

I try not to be a snob when it comes to hiphop, and I can enjoy fun music (see Prof) but when an artist makes most of his music about how good at rap he is, and that's the basis for MOST of his public/heavy rotation stuff, he needs to actually BE good, and thats kinda few and far between.

I owned a recording studio when I was younger. Almost 20yrs ago now actually (ugh) and we were primarily a hiphop studio, and all my own stuff and what i worked on personally was all hiphop. Three albums (I'll give anyone here a thumbs up if youve heard anything by Soul Sleep), a 6 month self-funded tour, headline and opening act for the Hiphop festival in Cinci a million years ago, along with similar at the Nashville New Music Conference... The end result is I consider myself mediocre and a rapper has to be AT LEAST better than me to be worth listening to, because shit knows I am not worth listening to, and I can blow most of this shit out of the water. Or could, a long time ago. God only knows how bad my breath control has gotten.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Rittz is a beast, one of the best fast rappers, his best album is Next To Nothing. I've tried to get into Logic, not a very a big fan.
Rittz is cool as hell. I see him in wal-mart and shit, lol. He just casually shops like he has a 9-5. I met him at wal-mart and really wish I got a pic, an autograph or something. But it just felt weird to hassle him for anything since he was simply grocery shopping, lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I grew up listening to Eminem, it was really the only rap I listened to as a kid. I am a huge fan but I really don’t like a lot of his new stuff. His flow is just weird now to me, like, he raps now like someone who is parody rapping as Eminem. It’s just different, I still regard him as one of the best though.

C-Sword

Noob
Rittz is cool as hell. I see him in wal-mart and shit, lol. He just casually shops like he has a 9-5. I met him at wal-mart and really wish I got a pic, an autograph or something. But it just felt weird to hassle him for anything since he was simply grocery shopping, lol.
Check out this cat Wildcard if you like fast rapping and sick wordplay

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Aesop Rock.
Prof is fun,
Eminem (sorry boys, he's good. He used ot be better, but its whatevs)
Busdriver
Can Ox
El-P
Watsky
Jarv
RA the Rugged Man
Talib Kwali
Mos Def

etc.

A lot of the hiphop I see is pretty pathetic actually. The 'fad' is the fast rap stuff, but most of its done terribly. The flow kinda sounds cool, until you realize every "fast" rapper sounds almost exactly the same and the nature of the delivery is such that it actually excludes a lot of what you can say. If you compare verses between rapper with that style, you'll see what I mean.

For an interesting example of fast done well, check out Jarv, Mac Lethal, etc. Its the staccato delivery done correctly, and not obnoxious repetition and over-used dumb shit.

I try not to be a snob when it comes to hiphop, and I can enjoy fun music (see Prof) but when an artist makes most of his music about how good at rap he is, and that's the basis for MOST of his public/heavy rotation stuff, he needs to actually BE good, and thats kinda few and far between.

I owned a recording studio when I was younger. Almost 20yrs ago now actually (ugh) and we were primarily a hiphop studio, and all my own stuff and what i worked on personally was all hiphop. Three albums (I'll give anyone here a thumbs up if youve heard anything by Soul Sleep), a 6 month self-funded tour, headline and opening act for the Hiphop festival in Cinci a million years ago, along with similar at the Nashville New Music Conference... The end result is I consider myself mediocre and a rapper has to be AT LEAST better than me to be worth listening to, because shit knows I am not worth listening to, and I can blow most of this shit out of the water. Or could, a long time ago. God only knows how bad my breath control has gotten.
Snap on a few of those (see above). Aesop has ruined most other hip hop for me. Thought skelethon couldn’t be bettered... fuck you impossible kid.

Edit, plus yeah... I ‘member eminimemem (drunk) back then too...

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I’ve been pretty active in this thread, despite not starting it. In case it seems weird... I thought to myself earier today whilst listening to Aesop, “I really need to find some new hip hop I like this much” then came on TYM and found this serendipitous thread.

Needless to say... I started drinking, and listening to the back catalogue of everything anyone suggested. With that in mind, any Aesop fans have any suggestions for Aesop-esque artists? Obviously not identical, but if you REALLY like Aesop, do you REALLY like anything else?

Hard question to ask, kinda like asking “what’s similar to Tool?” Pretty much nothing... but what else might I like?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I’ve been pretty active in this thread, despite not starting it. In case it seems weird... I thought to myself earier today whilst listening to Aesop, “I really need to find some new hip hop I like this much” then came on TYM and found this serendipitous thread.

Needless to say... I started drinking, and listening to the back catalogue of everything anyone suggested. With that in mind, any Aesop fans have any suggestions for Aesop-esque artists? Obviously not identical, but if you REALLY like Aesop, do you REALLY like anything else?

Hard question to ask, kinda like asking “what’s similar to Tool?” Pretty much nothing... but what else might I like?
Pre or post Labor days as that was his last good one imho. I def got some good recommendations for stuff you would like though.

D

Deleted member 58466

Do the Higher Brothers belong here? Regardless, they go pretty hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
As a Detroit resident I can safely say that Eminem is not the best Detroit rapper any more. In his prime he was god tier but he’s been stale af forever and Danny Brown has surpassed him by leaps and bounds in the current meta.

Also in terms of overall hip-hop and not just rap, nothing Em ever did can hold a candle to Dilla’s magnum opus (Donuts).

Just my two cents though, everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.

Geoduck

Halfasser
Some of my favorites last year
Smino - Maraca

Smino - Father Son Holy Smoke

GoldLink - ROUGHSOUL

ILLA J - Sam Cook

Topaz Jones - Tropicana

If you enjoyed these, I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU to check the channel Colors. LOTS OF underrated international talent on there. It has a little something for everyone.

Last edited:

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Damn I think I´m freaking old.......still listening to 2PAC, Kurupt, Dr. Dre, Rakim, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Dead Prez, Too $hort and so on......

I don´t know why but I could listen to those old stuff any day on repeat and enjoy it. The new stuff is cool and all but after listening to it for the 10th time I just don´t feel it anymore and skip the tracks.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Hip-hop has been collectively more garbage than gold since it became more about viewers and fandom than sales and capability.

I really don't think you can compare it before the social media age to after.
Two completely different jungles.

I have half decent taste. I was born and raised in the Bronx. Music is a HUGE part of my life.
And the SHIT - I'm not even going to pretend to justify it, the SHIT - that passes itself off as respectable hip-hop nowadays, and gets over because it gets views and subscriptions so the pundits who discuss it have no choice but to put it over because it's what's popular - isn't worth the time of day it takes to listen to it.
I have absolutely no concept of how I'm supposed to take these fucking jokers seriously.
But I don't blame them, I blame the people who promote them and allowed their niche to be shallowed and diluted.

Damn I think I´m freaking old.......still listening to 2PAC, Kurupt, Dr. Dre, Rakim, Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Dead Prez, Too $hort and so on......

I don´t know why but I could listen to those old stuff any day on repeat and enjoy it. The new stuff is cool and all but after listening to it for the 10th time I just don´t feel it anymore and skip the tracks.
All of this also.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Hip-hop has been collectively more garbage than gold since it became more about viewers and fandom than sales and capability.

I really don't think you can compare it before the social media age to after.
Two completely different jungles.

I have half decent taste. I was born and raised in the Bronx. Music is a HUGE part of my life.
And the SHIT - I'm not even going to pretend to justify it, the SHIT - that passes itself off as respectable hip-hop nowadays, and gets over because it gets views and subscriptions so the pundits who discuss it have no choice but to put it over because it's what's popular - isn't worth the time of day it takes to listen to it.
I have absolutely no concept of how I'm supposed to take these fucking jokers seriously.
But I don't blame them, I blame the people who promote them and allowed their niche to be shallowed and diluted.

All of this also.

This, pretty much.

Commercialization completely corrupted the genre, IMO. The thing that made hip-hop great back in the day was how raw and original it was. There's no real innovation in the genre or desire to evolve the medium. Instead, they all suck their own cocks with an autotuner as a reward for discovering what an 808 is 30 years after the rest of electronic music.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
.... I don't know what to do with this comment.
As soon as EL-P started getting his grubby ginger fingers into his shit it was all over for me. This just my personal of course.

I mean I’m kinda with dude. I feel like I time-travelled back to the early 2000’s seeing people talk about Eyedea and Aesop Rock and Can Ox in a fuckin new hip-hop thread lol.
I mean like if you could totally give us a time frame from which we can talk about hip hop in a hip hop thread that would be great :DOGE

Last edited:

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I mean I’m kinda with dude. I feel like I time-travelled back to the early 2000’s seeing people talk about Eyedea and Aesop Rock and Can Ox in a fuckin new hip-hop thread lol.
Tbh I read ‘new’ as new to the listener, not the world. Totally my bias I guess, as release date means literally fuck all to me...

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Pre or post Labor days as that was his last good one imho. I def got some good recommendations for stuff you would like though.
I like pretty much all his stuff, loving impossible kid rn, but I can sense once the honeymoon is over, I’ll crawl back to Skelethon.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I like pretty much all his stuff, loving impossible kid rn, but I can sense once the honeymoon is over, I’ll crawl back to Skelethon.
I will give impossible kid a honest listen today and get back with you. I guess I wrote off everything he did after he was with def jux and never payed much attention to him after that. I started listening to a lot of Canadian hip hop which was making music more in tune with the shit I liked at the time. Canada has some incredibly dope hip hop and I could recommend plenty of shit new and old from the various crews if your interested in something new.

Last edited: