What's new

#GrumpyBat: The Joker General Discussion Thread

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
I'm not giving up on him yet...I'm going to stick with him..

If I can play bo all the way through mkx then I guess I can do joker as he continues to drop down the list for the next year or so...

Been telling cats that joker still struggles since day ONE of injustice 2..now with the new patches to characters that were already semi decent (with the exception of wonder w and cold) getting full buffs and fucking safe strings? ...hello...darkness...my...old...

why do you have the ability to delay MB bf2 but it doesn't hit at all when you do? just seems kinda weird

Last edited:
I'm starting to look into jokers counter zoning/zoning potential. I used to think joker was rushdown but based off his move set, being around mid screen gives that air canister a purpose. Maybe that's why all his moves push you back? Not sure but I'm finding more success staying at distance.

What are jokers strengths and weakness?
Why should I pick him up over other characters?
What is your game plan when playing joker?

mostly just try to keep teeth out as much as possible jump 3s(alot) abuse d2 crowbar and pray that eventually you get to the corner and get a decent knockdown to start ur BS. unless the MU requires me to play differently which then i mostly just zone/counterzone.

BanTheTesters

I'm starting to look into jokers counter zoning/zoning potential. I used to think joker was rushdown but based off his move set, being around mid screen gives that air canister a purpose. Maybe that's why all his moves push you back? Not sure but I'm finding more success staying at distance.
mmm I def think it depends on the match up but the majority of the cast has a few ways to either combat his "zoning" or get around it. Definitely depends on the player. But I can count just a few times/match ups where it works super well.

I dig where your heads at though!

mmm I def think it depends on the match up but the majority of the cast has a few ways to either combat his "zoning" or get around it. Definitely depends on the player. But I can count just a few times/match ups where it works super well.

I dig where your heads at though!
Yeah the more i explore this option the more viable i find him. Im looking at him a different way bc there is no way he can really be rushdown. Since people seem to think he is fine and he was designed this way on purpose(maybe?), he might be intended to play a little different so i could be missing something. So im going through all his shit and finding ways to use it. Now i actually use over head gas can on knockdown lol.

But yeah this approach does not work on uber zoners.(Deadshot,Fate, etc.). In those matchups you gotta get close . no way around it.

Yeah the more i explore this option the more viable i find him. Im looking at him a different way bc there is no way he can really be rushdown. Since people seem to think he is fine and he was designed this way on purpose(maybe?), he might be intended to play a little different so i could be missing something. So im going through all his shit and finding ways to use it. Now i actually use over head gas can on knockdown lol.

But yeah this approach does not work on uber zoners.(Deadshot,Fate, etc.). In those matchups you gotta get close . no way around it.
I'm curious how you're using the oh canister. I've only ever used it to chip people out. Also like you, I've been testing out his zoning (mainly yolo gunshot trades) and it seems to be REALLY hard for a lot of people to get around. Especially when you mix in throwing teeth out, the gunshot dash cancels and mb gunshot to mess up your opponents rhythm. Like I've out zoned many a superman, batman, aqualad and even a few fates.

I'm curious how you're using the oh canister. I've only ever used it to chip people out. Also like you, I've been testing out his zoning (mainly yolo gunshot trades) and it seems to be REALLY hard for a lot of people to get around. Especially when you mix in throwing teeth out, the gunshot dash cancels and mb gunshot to mess up your opponents rhythm. Like I've out zoned many a superman, batman, aqualad and even a few fates.
I only use it at a safe distance. but only if im keeping the opponent out and am able to. If i hit them with a gunshot from catching them in the air and get a knockdown i throw it immediately. I have caught many people jumping/air dashing with this.

The only other time im using it is if they are sitting at midscreen trying to get in and not zone.

BanTheTesters

Yeah the more i explore this option the more viable i find him.

I mean his "zoning" is decent in certain match ups but got still going to eat a lot of damage if you try it and slip up agains the majority of the cast...I mean a or of folks have ways around his stuff..and there are a lot of character that do what he could do better..it's rough in the joker streets.

Maybe if someone isn't super familiar with the match up it'll work but most of the time you'll eat almost depending on who you try it on...

Nice way to look at the character though!

I mean his "zoning" is decent in certain match ups but got still going to eat a lot of damage if you try it and slip up agains the majority of the cast...I mean a or of folks have ways around his stuff..and there are a lot of character that do what he could do better..it's rough in the joker streets.

Maybe if someone isn't super familiar with the match up it'll work but most of the time you'll eat almost depending on who you try it on...

Nice way to look at the character though!
Yeah you have to mix it up depending on the match up. He still can't get around the fact that he has trouble opening people up. In IGAU we used the OTG and Cross-ups in neutral. His J2 was nerfed a good bit and the OTG is no longer there. He still needs help. Didn't realize how much his acid flower helped. You cant get anybody off of you if they get to you on the floor. The parry works but its only a high/mid. you dont want be full screen but you want to be in BF2 or D2 range. once you get the life lead its better to be at distance and use gunshot. Unless your against a pure zoner.

DeftMonk

Noob
One of you guys should consider making a combo thread for this forum since there isn't one.
it would have about 3 combos in it. Optimal bnb easier bnb and optimal anti air. Everything else is just conversions trying to be as optimal as possible based on how high they are/distance etc.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
it would have about 3 combos in it. Optimal bnb easier bnb and optimal anti air. Everything else is just conversions trying to be as optimal as possible based on how high they are/distance etc.
Regardless, these forums need one. It makes things extremely difficult if anyone is even remotely curious about learning Joker.

Regardless, these forums need one. It makes things extremely difficult if anyone is even remotely curious about learning Joker.
People are really salty about how joker is currently. Im still hoping to discover some new things with him but he needs help. And don't worry...once they play with joker once....they will understand why people dont play with him lol.

BanTheTesters

At the rate at which ppl were/are dropping the character and the game having been out a bit im sure ppl would find that they could just pick a character that does what joker SHOULD do better but I digress...
Plus im always excited for new/more ppl to come into the joker fold!

People are really salty about how joker is currently. Im still hoping to discover some new things with him but he needs help. And don't worry...once they play with joker once....they will understand why people dont play with him lol.
TRUE....but no issue in having one if you guys want one. Nothing wrong with introducing new players to how butt cheeks he is....er welcoming them to the wide world of the Joker Community! lolz

EDIT: i totally saw you mentioning acid flower in a above post and i think it would be an amazing idea to bring it back AND give it a meter burn variation a la Devora's standing bug spray mkx move.

Last edited:
Don't know where i should post this but i have an easy way to get 2 HA's mid combo safely(i believe).

J2->32->RLG(MB)~B3~D2->far teeth~32->trait~D2->trait.

I believe the canceling the D2 into trait gives you enough time to block or continue pressure. Also the D2 puts your opponent at a safe distance.

Have a question for you guys. I picked up and started messing around with Joker in practice mode a bit and D2 into Far Teeth followed by 32 is just rarely connecting for me. In fact I usually don't feel like I'm recovering in time to even D1 not understanding what I'm not doing right (though obviously it's something) and wanted to know if you guys had any tips for getting it more consistently.

Have a question for you guys. I picked up and started messing around with Joker in practice mode a bit and D2 into Far Teeth followed by 32 is just rarely connecting for me. In fact I usually don't feel like I'm recovering in time to even D1 not understanding what I'm not doing right (though obviously it's something) and wanted to know if you guys had any tips for getting it more consistently.
If you are doing the D2 after a B3 then you gotta make sure you do the B3 as soon as possible after a RLG EX. Also make sure you aren't holding B3 and only press it. You can practice hitting B3 right after the recovery frames of the RLG. If you time it riat the earliest you can move, then you will notice your opponent will be higher after they bounce off the wall. The earlier you hit the B3 the higher the opponent will get which gives you more time to land a 32 after D2 into teeth.

If you are doing the D2 after a B3 then you gotta make sure you do the B3 as soon as possible after a RLG EX. Also make sure you aren't holding B3 and only press it. You can practice hitting B3 right after the recovery frames of the RLG. If you time it riat the earliest you can move, then you will notice your opponent will be higher after they bounce off the wall. The earlier you hit the B3 the higher the opponent will get which gives you more time to land a 32 after D2 into teeth.
Oh man thank you so much. I hadn't really paid this character too much attention when I fight one online that's good I usually get destroyed but I know that it's more so my lack of knowledge about the guy. Why is everyone so unhappy with him? On paper he seems like he'd be pretty good. . .