What's new

Grodd is broke. The relationship between Stampede Cancel and 22.

BassCase

Noob
I started using the d-pad and the analog stick to perform his cancels like someone mentioned before. It's still very difficult, but it seems to help me a little bit. I went from 1,1,2, SC, d2 hitting maybe 1out of 10 times to 3 out of 10 on average. I can also get his strings into SC on block maybe 3-4 out of 10. I can't continue pressuring afterward yet , but it's a start.

By the way, I still firmly believe the execution level for this tech is unrealistically high.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Ok, so I'm just enjoying my time with the game and playing lots of different characters. Right now it's Bane, Swamp Donkey, Atrocitus and Black Adam. I just started playing with Grodd because he's a cool ass character.

So, I came here to learn Grodd because after a little in practice, I did not understand what the character is designed for. No pressure, no safe strings, gaps, etc. So I came to you guys. First thing I see is this thread, and after investigating all I can say is I'm sorry people. You guys have it rough. Swamp Thing also has some STUPID tight links, that don't even work on a lot of the cast, gaps for fucking days, and other shit that really makes him not fun to play outside of super casual.

What he does not have is NECESSARY shit with a massively high level of execution with zero pay off. So I think I'll come see you guys again after some changes, if they come. I went back to practice after reading the OP and tried punishing those gaps with Bane, and GOOD GOD can he make Grodd pay.

Anyway, you Grodd mains are awesome, I wish you great buff luck in the future.

P.S. I really like Injustice 2, a lot. But I have a huge problem with the disparity between characters. Within my 4, Bane is very good with some really (really, really) hard matches, Swamp Thing sucks, and with Atrocitus and Adam I feel like I can just do whatever the hell I want most of the time. There's making your characters feel and play unique and then there's "what the hell are you thinking?"

Ok, so I'm just enjoying my time with the game and playing lots of different characters. Right now it's Bane, Swamp Donkey, Atrocitus and Black Adam. I just started playing with Grodd because he's a cool ass character.

So, I came here to learn Grodd because after a little in practice, I did not understand what the character is designed for. No pressure, no safe strings, gaps, etc. So I came to you guys. First thing I see is this thread, and after investigating all I can say is I'm sorry people. You guys have it rough. Swamp Thing also has some STUPID tight links, that don't even work on a lot of the cast, gaps for fucking days, and other shit that really makes him not fun to play outside of super casual.

What he does not have is NECESSARY shit with a massively high level of execution with zero pay off. So I think I'll come see you guys again after some changes, if they come. I went back to practice after reading the OP and tried punishing those gaps with Bane, and GOOD GOD can he make Grodd pay.

Anyway, you Grodd mains are awesome, I wish you great buff luck in the future.

P.S. I really like Injustice 2, a lot. But I have a huge problem with the disparity between characters. Within my 4, Bane is very good with some really (really, really) hard matches, Swamp Thing sucks, and with Atrocitus and Adam I feel like I can just do whatever the hell I want most of the time. There's making your characters feel and play unique and then there's "what the hell are you thinking?"
Yep when you take the time to actually lab the character which im sure a majority of ppl on this site have not. You are just stumped on wtf is supposed to be going on. I dont want crazy buffs lol just fix this nonsense.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I actually have to disagree on this point. I really think most people, (players AND spectators alike), are way more engrossed in stuff outside execution barriers. The mindgames. Reads. Reactions. Baits. Combos. Resets. Mixups. Comebacks. Etc. All that special stuff that has little to do with execution.

Plus I don't get what an "execution player" even is. I get that some people enjoy execution barriers, but there can't be too many players who purposely seek out the hardest links/inputs in the game and base their character selection on that and that ALONE. Certainly not enough players to justify "giving them their own character" as someone earlier in this thread suggested.

No idea how hard these cancels actually are or whether they're intended to be the foundation of Grodd's playstyle, but I wanted to comment on that, since the importance of high execution tends to be a common FGC debate.
I disagree with this. It's cool to have one or two characters like Viper from SFIV or a.Pat from SCV. It makes it more hype knowing how hard the stuff they are doing is. A lot of people go for characters with hard execution because part of the fun for them is grinding out tech skill and being able to pull off really cool stuff. Some people like a challenge and there isn't anything wrong with that.

All that being said Grodd doesn't fit this mold. He has a lot of hard execution with no reward. He's just a straight up bad character, execution or not. I'd personally rather them buff his other tools so players that master the cancels will actually be able to use them and do well. Like others have said having gaps in the strings that the cancels are involved in is just stupid.

Edit: I just realize this was an older post so sorry if this has already been discussed earlier.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
To all the people complaining about the stampede cancels:

Are you doing the input shortcut or are you just mashing out the entire thing back to back?

I disagree with this. It's cool to have one or two characters like Viper from SFIV or a.Pat from SCV. It makes it more hype knowing how hard the stuff they are doing is. A lot of people go for characters with hard execution because part of the fun for them is grinding out tech skill and being able to pull off really cool stuff. Some people like a challenge and there isn't anything wrong with that.

All that being said Grodd doesn't fit this mold. He has a lot of hard execution with no reward. He's just a straight up bad character, execution or not. I'd personally rather them buff his other tools so players that master the cancels will actually be able to use them and do well. Like others have said having gaps in the strings that the cancels are involved in is just stupid.

Edit: I just realize this was an older post so sorry if this has already been discussed earlier.
No problem. I definitely agree it's cool to have those kinds of characters, but I'm also certain that the players who do seek out those characters are in the minority. On top of the fact that it's really only the players who play that character that can truly appreciate the difficulty of their tech skill. No one else would get it, unless they hear the commentators on stream get excited about how hard it is. (A.Pat in SCV might be an exception since SC has the white flash to show when a just frame is hit).

I don't think there's anything wrong with a challenge either. My point was just that, as far as what gets people the most hype, I'd argue it has more to do with other aspects of a match aside from execution.

Do you think Grodd is one of those characters that, if not carefully buffed, will shoot up the tier list?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
No problem. I definitely agree it's cool to have those kinds of characters, but I'm also certain that the players who do seek out those characters are in the minority. On top of the fact that it's really only the players who play that character that can truly appreciate the difficulty of their tech skill. No one else would get it, unless they hear the commentators on stream get excited about how hard it is. (A.Pat in SCV might be an exception since SC has the white flash to show when a just frame is hit).

I don't think there's anything wrong with a challenge either. My point was just that, as far as what gets people the most hype, I'd argue it has more to do with other aspects of a match aside from execution.

Do you think Grodd is one of those characters that, if not carefully buffed, will shoot up the tier list?
No because like I said his cancels are worthless in the grand scheme of things since all the strings that involve the cancels are interruptable, not to mention his other weaknesses. He needs buffs, I just don't think they should make the cancels easier necessarily.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The command is bf3 bb. What do you mean by "the input shortcut"?
Do bf3f. I'm not sure if that's the correct notation but it's something like that. You get the move to come out and cancel it with only two forward inputs for the entire sequence, but you have to time it against whatever string you're doing it from.

DeftMonk

Noob
No because like I said his cancels are worthless in the grand scheme of things since all the strings that involve the cancels are interruptable, not to mention his other weaknesses. He needs buffs, I just don't think they should make the cancels easier necessarily.
I dunno honestly when I play grodd I get a shitload of my damage off throws and if I could stampede cancel d1 I feel it would help me.

Cancels are not the problem , I thought they were super hard but honestly getting really fucking easy to do after alot of practice. He needs buffs just think NRS should be careful what they change on him lol with his damage it could get ugly.

Skedar70

Noob
Do bf3f. I'm not sure if that's the correct notation but it's something like that. You get the move to come out and cancel it with only two forward inputs for the entire sequence, but you have to time it against whatever string you're doing it from.
It doesn't work for me I always have to input the whole ff or bb after bf3. One f and the cancel doesn't come out.

BassCase

Noob
I have to input the entire string. For example : 112 bf3 and then mash forward or back. Sometimes the cancels come out crispy and sometimes they don't come out at all.

So I'm still about 50% on the cancels. I agree they're getting easier though.
(Not S tier character easy) ;)

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I'm sure the reason stampede cancels are so difficult is because they're unintentional, the only reason I say this is because B2 leap combos were clearly unintentional due to the fact that you could infinitely loop them in the beta/pre-release version. Just my 2 cents.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Are the cancels easier after the patch?
They seriously get easier once you just commit to doing them in real matches...but you'll still fuck up.

I feel like I can do 112~SC pretty well but I still only hit 22~SC like 50% of the time and that's the one Grodd needs to be hit 100% of the time.

The point stands. His best string is a complete risk to use and requires the SC, yet it's ridiculously hard to be consistent with and the pay off is dumb.

Yo NRS, can we make 223 safe and maybe make it impossible to D1 and MBB3 punish the gap? Fucking plz?