What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Do you need to be traited up for
B3, J3, j2, d2, trait lift. Or can you hit 4 after upper cut then land the lift.

Zurr Tusko

Twitter: ZurrTusko
B3, J3, j2, d2, trait lift. Or can you hit 4 after upper cut then land the lift.
You'd have to be traited prior to the combo imo. I can't test it out right now cause I'm at work, but it sounds like you'd reach the juggle limit before you can get Lantern's Might out after the D2 trait cancel

Bes110

Noob
B3 you need to be traited before if you want trait lift, but to be honest, if you hit a b3 you probably wont want to use it anyways. That is the starter of I think his highest damage combo. The others can lead into the b1 combo which utilizes trait.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Hello Lanterns. To start, I apologize for the long post. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me out, but I understand if you don't want to read it all.

I have been playing solely Green Lantern since I got this game. I have been steadily improving, and I can see myself performing better as time goes on. There are a few problem areas I have been having and I wanted to get your guys advice and help possibly.

It is my firm belief that if a character has a tool, then we should be taking advantage of it, but I cannot seem to incorporate all of these tools into my game. This is a problem, because I am stagnating. I am doing the SAME stuff in my matches now. Of course these things I am doing are becoming cleaner and more efficient, I want to add more, as well as perfect the character to become an elite kind of player.

To start, I can not pin down Green Lantern's 50/50 cross up set-ups. At the core, I suppose the problem is that I cannot CONTROL when they cross up and when they don't. I don't know if I can, but i feel like I should be able to. The string I am talking about are:

B13, 4, Walk Forward, F3. This is extremely inconsistent for me, and I feel like I should have this down more. Any tips, or is it just random?

B13, 4, 223, Dash Forward, N3 or F3. This is a case where you can corpse hop to get the cross up. Again...extremely inconsistent. Is there a way to guarantee one way or another?

B13, 4, 223, J3. I see Gross do this one a lot. I try to emulate it, but the cross up is far and few between. Any thoughts anyone?

For all of the above strings, my problem is not that I don't know what I want to do or how to utilize the tool, it is that I cannot execute it. How can I guarantee one way or another if I will get the cross up?

Second on my list is poking. We lack a six frame attack, so I find that I cannot blow up many gaps in strings. Do I just hold the pressure? Batman is a character that makes me think of this a lot. What am I to do? On top of this. Is it possible for us to poke into lanterns might? A d1 b1 sort of deal. This would function like Aquaman's trident rush, of course ours would not be nearly as safe. Is this an effective tool to even attempt to use?

Third for me is Lantern's special moves. I RARELY use lantern bomb and willpower wall. They just seem...useless. How can I better incorporate that into my gameplan?

Lastly for me is wakeups. Our only options are really willpower wall and Lantern's might. The wall seems to get stuffed every time, and Lantern's might is extremely punishable. What do you guys do when you are knocked down and getting pressured?

Thank you anyone for reading this and I loo forward to a response.
As for whether things cross up or not, two things: first of all, why does it matter? Practically, it changes nothing from a what do you do next standpoint as far as hit confirming goes. Whether it crosses or not, and whether it lands or gets blocked, you still can just commit to 223. If it's blocked do 2231 which is +1 on block and grants you either a d1, or whatever mind games and conditioning you've developed. Obviously 6f characters will trade or win, but that's where mind games come into play with mb f3/b3, backdash, neutral jump!or whatever if it lands.

Secondly, as for whether it crosses up or not, don't be afraid to just walk forward. There are other setups that guarantee crossups. Try the b134xxlm then f2 slight walk forward f3. Experiment and you'll find the exact point where that crosses or not. Also try the b134xxlm then d1 then slight step ji1 cross up. That's nice because if they delay wakeup you can follow the ji1 with either b13 or f3/nj3 or even just 223(1). There's a video of options off the d1 ji1 oki setup here somewhere.

OCL is very useful. Especially in matchups where the opponent is forced to get in and navigate GL's other zoning tools. It's such a good tool for predicting movement and making people afraid to dash,jump and even roll in. TBH, sometimes it's nice to just throw it out there at the different ranges to put it in their head and at times where you've recognized patterns like maybe they duck a battery blast at full screen and then have a tendency to jump forward. A mid screen OCL will catch them and send them back to where they started. It's a nice space control tool against non zoners.

Also, it's a pretty good option after b13 up close on block. It's not perfect and the best players who truly know the matchup can blow you up for it, but you can play games by staggering b1 with b13, and sometimes doing b13xxOCL close, and then very rarely by doing b13xxmb bf3. Be careful going with b12, I still use it, but a lot of people don't use it all. Just by showing these different tendencies, most people will be afraid to backdash the b13 or do much else but block.

Also, I don't know if you know about using OCL in combos where trait is already active but they are more damaging (with trait already active: b13xxdb2bxxdb1 into whatever). GL also has corner combos utilizing db2 in juggles keep in mind.

So there's some uses for OCL for you, and it's definitely important to use it as GL.

On wakeup, mix in short and long delayed wake ups and course tech roll. It will just make it harder for them to take advantage of their oki games and sometimes you'll just be able to whiff punish them if they commit to something. Also, when cornered I will also sometimes wakeup mb f3, mb interactable, mb b3, and even mb roll to give different looks depending on what they've been doing. Obviously all those options have their obvious drawbacks, but they also have utility at times.

As for wakeup bf3 wall, it's not really that bad. Yes some characters can jump over it, but it definitely catches people too. If they bait and punish it that's annoying but then you can always mb it for the knockdown and pushback if they're greedy with the punish or at least stay safe and get some breathing room for a b1 or jump in.

Or you know.....you can block lol. GL being below average on wakeup is karma for being so good on knock down haha.

Cashual

Hello Lanterns. To start, I apologize for the long post. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me out, but I understand if you don't want to read it all.

I have been playing solely Green Lantern since I got this game. I have been steadily improving, and I can see myself performing better as time goes on. There are a few problem areas I have been having and I wanted to get your guys advice and help possibly.

It is my firm belief that if a character has a tool, then we should be taking advantage of it, but I cannot seem to incorporate all of these tools into my game. This is a problem, because I am stagnating. I am doing the SAME stuff in my matches now. Of course these things I am doing are becoming cleaner and more efficient, I want to add more, as well as perfect the character to become an elite kind of player.

To start, I can not pin down Green Lantern's 50/50 cross up set-ups. At the core, I suppose the problem is that I cannot CONTROL when they cross up and when they don't. I don't know if I can, but i feel like I should be able to. The string I am talking about are:

B13, 4, Walk Forward, F3. This is extremely inconsistent for me, and I feel like I should have this down more. Any tips, or is it just random?

B13, 4, 223, Dash Forward, N3 or F3. This is a case where you can corpse hop to get the cross up. Again...extremely inconsistent. Is there a way to guarantee one way or another?

B13, 4, 223, J3. I see Gross do this one a lot. I try to emulate it, but the cross up is far and few between. Any thoughts anyone?

For all of the above strings, my problem is not that I don't know what I want to do or how to utilize the tool, it is that I cannot execute it. How can I guarantee one way or another if I will get the cross up?

Second on my list is poking. We lack a six frame attack, so I find that I cannot blow up many gaps in strings. Do I just hold the pressure? Batman is a character that makes me think of this a lot. What am I to do? On top of this. Is it possible for us to poke into lanterns might? A d1 b1 sort of deal. This would function like Aquaman's trident rush, of course ours would not be nearly as safe. Is this an effective tool to even attempt to use?

Third for me is Lantern's special moves. I RARELY use lantern bomb and willpower wall. They just seem...useless. How can I better incorporate that into my gameplan?

Lastly for me is wakeups. Our only options are really willpower wall and Lantern's might. The wall seems to get stuffed every time, and Lantern's might is extremely punishable. What do you guys do when you are knocked down and getting pressured?

Also I forgot but, I strongly recommend against d1xxdb1. Db1 on block is total death. To me it's just not at all worth it in terms of risk vs reward. Even with a mb db1 it just doesn't net much damage raw like that, so if it's blocked and punished (and if it's blocked it WILL be punished even by scrubs), you will almost definitely be eating a lot more damage than you will hand out if it lands.

That's the kind of tactic that might work once in a set so I guess on a hard read or if they relentlessly counterpoke or use a slower mid a lot after blocking d1 go for it just to make them respect it. Like if that lands it might allow you to steal a turn in the future, but man, you're looking at a full combo punish and a knockdown or maybe hard knockdown and you already know that GL isn't great on wakeup.

Cashual

Also I forgot but, I strongly recommend against d1xxdb1. Db1 on block is total death. To me it's just not at all worth it in terms of risk vs reward. Even with a mb db1 it just doesn't net much damage raw like that, so if it's blocked and punished (and if it's blocked it WILL be punished even by scrubs), you will almost definitely be eating a lot more damage than you will hand out if it lands.

That's the kind of tactic that might work once in a set so I guess on a hard read or if they relentlessly counterpoke or use a slower mid a lot after blocking d1 go for it just to make them respect it. Like if that lands it might allow you to steal a turn in the future, but man, you're looking at a full combo punish and a knockdown or maybe hard knockdown and you already know that GL isn't great on wakeup.

Bes110

Noob
As for whether things cross up or not, two things: first of all, why does it matter? Practically, it changes nothing from a what do you do next standpoint as far as hit confirming goes. Whether it crosses or not, and whether it lands or gets blocked, you still can just commit to 223. If it's blocked do 2231 which is +1 on block and grants you either a d1, or whatever mind games and conditioning you've developed. Obviously 6f characters will trade or win, but that's where mind games come into play with mb f3/b3, backdash, neutral jump!or whatever if it lands.

Secondly, as for whether it crosses up or not, don't be afraid to just walk forward. There are other setups that guarantee crossups. Try the b134xxlm then f2 slight walk forward f3. Experiment and you'll find the exact point where that crosses or not. Also try the b134xxlm then d1 then slight step ji1 cross up. That's nice because if they delay wakeup you can follow the ji1 with either b13 or f3/nj3 or even just 223(1). There's a video of options off the d1 ji1 oki setup here somewhere.

OCL is very useful. Especially in matchups where the opponent is forced to get in and navigate GL's other zoning tools. It's such a good tool for predicting movement and making people afraid to dash,jump and even roll in. TBH, sometimes it's nice to just throw it out there at the different ranges to put it in their head and at times where you've recognized patterns like maybe they duck a battery blast at full screen and then have a tendency to jump forward. A mid screen OCL will catch them and send them back to where they started. It's a nice space control tool against non zoners.

Also, it's a pretty good option after b13 up close on block. It's not perfect and the best players who truly know the matchup can blow you up for it, but you can play games by staggering b1 with b13, and sometimes doing b13xxOCL close, and then very rarely by doing b13xxmb bf3. Be careful going with b12, I still use it, but a lot of people don't use it all. Just by showing these different tendencies, most people will be afraid to backdash the b13 or do much else but block.

Also, I don't know if you know about using OCL in combos where trait is already active but they are more damaging (with trait already active: b13xxdb2bxxdb1 into whatever). GL also has corner combos utilizing db2 in juggles keep in mind.

So there's some uses for OCL for you, and it's definitely important to use it as GL.

On wakeup, mix in short and long delayed wake ups and course tech roll. It will just make it harder for them to take advantage of their oki games and sometimes you'll just be able to whiff punish them if they commit to something. Also, when cornered I will also sometimes wakeup mb f3, mb interactable, mb b3, and even mb roll to give different looks depending on what they've been doing. Obviously all those options have their obvious drawbacks, but they also have utility at times.

As for wakeup bf3 wall, it's not really that bad. Yes some characters can jump over it, but it definitely catches people too. If they bait and punish it that's annoying but then you can always mb it for the knockdown and pushback if they're greedy with the punish or at least stay safe and get some breathing room for a b1 or jump in.

Or you know.....you can block lol. GL being below average on wakeup is karma for being so good on knock down haha.
I appreciate the thorough response! I wanted to address one point you made. In your first paragraph you mention why I care if it crosses up or not. I apologize for not being clearer! The issue is not what I do after it hits or not, it is that I feel I am incapable of controlling whether it will cross or not. That is to say, I feel like I am guessing if it will cross up or not just as much as my opponent. I would like more control over the technique so I can enforce it the way I want to, but no matter how much I practice I cannot get it consistently.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I appreciate the thorough response! I wanted to address one point you made. In your first paragraph you mention why I care if it crosses up or not. I apologize for not being clearer! The issue is not what I do after it hits or not, it is that I feel I am incapable of controlling whether it will cross or not. That is to say, I feel like I am guessing if it will cross up or not just as much as my opponent. I would like more control over the technique so I can enforce it the way I want to, but no matter how much I practice I cannot get it consistently.
In my opinion, then you've officially found the sweet spot in your crossup ambiguity. You're right in the middle of crossing up and not. If you can't tell, your opponent can't either.

Zurr Tusko

In my opinion, then you've officially found the sweet spot in your crossup ambiguity. You're right in the middle of crossing up and not. If you can't tell, your opponent can't either.
I'm not really sure that's a good thing. The more control you have over what you do and your offense the better you are at dictating not only pace, but what you can do out of the F3.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'm not really sure that's a good thing. The more control you have over what you do and your offense the better you are at dictating not only pace, but what you can do out of the F3.
I was speaking more about j3's than f3s. J3's go right into 223, can end with lift to switch positions if you didn't hit the side you wanted. But you're definitely right about f3s, as you'll have to know which way to jump to follow up with the j3 into 223.

Cashual

Absolutely! This is exactly what I am missing!
I hear what you're saying for sure, but in practice I don't think this hurts you too much as the follow up string lacks a directional input, so regardless you're pressing the same buttons. Same with batman ji2, regardless of whether it crossups or not (which in neutral it's hard to say because the opponent may be walking forward or backwards making it near impossible to know which side it'll hit), you still are hitting 112 (I believe it is) and going from there.

Like I said before, after hitting b134xxdb1 if you f2 and walk forward to the point at which you've gone as far as you can, you will definitely cross up. If you take it into practice mode, you will definitely get the feeling of the threshold of the cross up or not on f3. I suspect there's also a timing aspect with where they're at in their standup animation, but others told me I'm wrong.

So experiment and I think you'll figure it out! Happy hunting

Zurr Tusko

I mean, there are command normals you can be doing, but I'm not sure how much damage they do vs. the regular BnBs. Like F3, B23 xx lift, etc.. vs F3, 223 xx lift

Cashual

I mean, there are command normals you can be doing, but I'm not sure how much damage they do vs. the regular BnBs. Like F3, B23 xx lift, etc.. vs F3, 223 xx lift
Yeah you could, but in this case I always go 223 or sometimes 123 because in cases where the cross up is ambiguous to even me why would I risk blowing it for basically no meaningful increase in damage (if there is an increase at all)? Also, f3 causes such a bounce that I think there's plenty of time to visually confirm where it hit and proceed from there. And the added advantage of 223 after the f3 is that even if they manage to block the f3 crossup or not, the plus frames guarantee 223 and if blocked you can finish 2231 for the +1.

But it is definitely possible to grind out practice mode and discover the point at which f3 or ji3 crosses or not, it's just a matter of repetition and experimentation. And if you can get that down, you're free to use the command normal strings you're referring to.

However I'm a scrub and like the simplicity of just using the other strings

Bes110

Noob
Boys I got it...! I have been in the lab the last few hours and the control is there. In fact, there are visual cues for some of them.

Bes110

Noob
I would like to preface this message with the fact that I am feeling very salty right now.

Does anyone have strategies/tips for Deadshot? I have played in four tournaments since the game came out and have taken one of my two losses against this character in ALL of them. Truthfully, I am sick of losing to this character so disgustingly consistently. My record in competitive play against him is 0-4, with three 0-3 matches.

What do you guys do?! I can't zone back at all because all the tools take too many frames to come out. If I even want to trade I have to burn a meter on beam. Meter burn roll is almost as useless because I get clipped almost every time by a bullet.

Even after the patch I'm still getting b1 staggered and I am helpless.

It is just so incessantly frustrating to feel like I am improving so much in general only to get buzzsawed by this character EVERY time.

I know most people will say to pick up a secondary but I just can't...everyone else just feels so wrong...

Can you guys offer ANY tips or techniques, or am I left to turtle my way in, losing half a bar in the process and getting knocked back because of some stupid string that I can't seem to block?

I apologize if this post is too 'rant' like, but I am seriously in desperate need of some help.

Edit: I have video footage of all of these matches if anyone would be willing to help me review tape.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I would like to preface this message with the fact that I am feeling very salty right now.

Does anyone have strategies/tips for Deadshot? I have played in four tournaments since the game came out and have taken one of my two losses against this character in ALL of them. Truthfully, I am sick of losing to this character so disgustingly consistently. My record in competitive play against him is 0-4, with three 0-3 matches.

What do you guys do?! I can't zone back at all because all the tools take too many frames to come out. If I even want to trade I have to burn a meter on beam. Meter burn roll is almost as useless because I get clipped almost every time by a bullet.

Even after the patch I'm still getting b1 staggered and I am helpless.

It is just so incessantly frustrating to feel like I am improving so much in general only to get buzzsawed by this character EVERY time.

I know most people will say to pick up a secondary but I just can't...everyone else just feels so wrong...

Can you guys offer ANY tips or techniques, or am I left to turtle my way in, losing half a bar in the process and getting knocked back because of some stupid string that I can't seem to block?

I apologize if this post is too 'rant' like, but I am seriously in desperate need of some help.

Edit: I have video footage of all of these matches if anyone would be willing to help me review tape.
Your b1 out ranges and is almost twice as fast as his b1, so counter hit him on read. Don't forget to abuse crossup setups to deal with his wakeup.

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
@Bes110 hey did you figure out a way to get the nj3 to crossup/not crossup without giving it away? I cant get it to crossup when doing the f2 after knockdown but i can get it to crossup when i want after a dash in...ive got the f3 down just not the nj3

Minus

Sucks at fighting games
Do you guys hitconfirm b13 into OCL on block or b13 trait into mb wall on block? I don't want to keep spending a bar for easier hit confirms. If you guys got tips for hitconfirming b13~OCL or b13~4~lift, I'll appreciate it.

Bes110

Noob
@Bes110 hey did you figure out a way to get the nj3 to crossup/not crossup without giving it away? I cant get it to crossup when doing the f2 after knockdown but i can get it to crossup when i want after a dash in...ive got the f3 down just not the nj3
In my experience nj3 crossup ONLY works when corpse hopping. I suppose I could be wrong, but that is just my experience. So I suppose my answer is, if you want the nj3 cross then you gotta be right up on em like you are when dashing in. Otherwise, fj3 seems like the better option.

Bes110

Noob
Do you guys hitconfirm b13 into OCL on block or b13 trait into mb wall on block? I don't want to keep spending a bar for easier hit confirms. If you guys got tips for hitconfirming b13~OCL or b13~4~lift, I'll appreciate it.
I always do trait into wall. However, I have been noticing lately that you can get more out of this by mixing things up.

For example, if a player notices that I am always doing wall after trait, they will start trying to punish. At this point, maybe I hold back after trait for a half second into lanterns might. Of course this is risky, but if you read that your opponent will try to punish after then you can catch them.

I would say your best option is to map out ALL of the possible scenarios and mix them up, it should make the opponent more tepid when counterattacking as they are getting multiple looks.

Heck, nothing is stopping you from going trait into wall into a mb close lantern. For me right now though, trying to incorporate them all, but reliant on wall.

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
@Bes110 ok cool yea if after the trait slam u dash up it will always crossup cause your so far into them but i was thinking maybe after f2 u can jump over 3 and it will mess them up even more

Cashual

In most cases I don't bother with close OCL at all because it's actually punishable (you can get away with it at times no doubt), nor with mb wall. I just feel like I need bar for real damage, clash, mb b3/f3, rolls and escapes and definitely mb bf1 so I don't spend the bar just to be safe and/or do a lil bit of damage and get space if they are overly eager to punish regular wall.

I do b13 on block, and once in a while mix in other stuff simply to give new looks, but mostly stick to just the b13. I also think hitconfirming trait lift is pretty easy as hitconfirms go.

If you know this, sorry, but just in case you don't, a great way to practice hit confirming b13 into 4xxdb1 is to go to practice and set the dummy to block mode random combo. You can just over and over again drill stopping at b13 on block and mixing in mb wall and OCL rarely and confirming into trait lift on hit. I spent an hour here and an hour there working that hit confirm and honestly I am pretty good at it now (suck at lots in this game, just not that one thing lol).

That's my advice!