What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

Zurr Tusko

Twitter: ZurrTusko
Are we still talking cheetah? Because I've gotten blown up trying to d2 that sloot out of her pounce animation. Maybe I'm waiting to late? I'd have to see it in a video.
You might be waiting too long. D2 is a hell of a better option than lift IMO due to the wonky hitbox on Lift in this game.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
As far as I can tell lanterns might hitbox is based off the state your opponent is in. There is a difference when they're in hitstun, or juggled, or in control of their character. It's a bummer but we're all getting used to it I think. Just with they'd let us see the boxes in training mode so we can practice properly.

Bes110

Noob
So if you're at the right distance B1 stuffs cheetah's wake up where she goes into the air. I did it once while running a set. I've been meaning to lab it.

Also how does everyone feel about using his lift against her full screen pounce?
Like others have said. You can win against her pounce with a J1. This leads to a full combo every time. Once you connect with it once you will put fear into the cheetah player and they will be more hesitant which allows you to really get into your zoning.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Mmmm my body is ready to land that j1 on cheetah. Are y'all digging the new tourney shaders? Currently rocking the black and gold one.

Zurr Tusko

Twitter: ZurrTusko
New shaders are dope. Really liking the tournament one as it kinda reminds me of Dead Space with the proper helmet.

What are the best follow ups after a nj1? Just B13 xx trait stuff?

Also how do you get that little bar under your profile picture that has a character on it? I need that GL one.

Da Tac0

I just do your typical cliche off njs 1 or 2.

And I'm 99% a tag has to be given to you by a mod. That's how you see people with like an ermac one or a GL one.

New shaders are dope. Really liking the tournament one as it kinda reminds me of Dead Space with the proper helmet.

What are the best follow ups after a nj1? Just B13 xx trait stuff?

Also how do you get that little bar under your profile picture that has a character on it? I need that GL one.
You cant always combo off of the NJ1, it just conditions them to stop lunging so you can get your zone game going.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I thought it was just common logic that he needed a buff by now lol. Nobody is saying make him OP, broken etc but look at tourneys with him? What? One guy is known for using him? Come on...to buff someone like Flash and not GL is just a seriously missed opportunity. One of my biggest gripes with him is the start up frames on most of his moves being shit especially against other zoners in this game. Lantern bomb is a fun move but needs WAYY faster start up, can't say how many times I've been stuffed out on lame trades. Bowler I love the low but again another move that needs to be faster and his BF1 while a decent projectile could be better. I don't understand how they made DS's, Fates and FS's standard projectile super fast and GL's slow af when compared. Just never made sense to me. I know, he has the ex version of it but I shouldn't have to waste a bar of meter for a decent speed projectile or rely on my power charge and hold Forward to make it faster, do the other characters have to do that? No. So why should GL be any different? lol IDK I just always thought this was silly.

One thing he's better at than a lot of characters in this game are his combos execution being easier, but everything else I just feel he suffers at times compared to the rest of the roster. I still have hope, there'll be at least what 2 or 3 more patches down the line for balance, I'm SURE GL will be touched hopefully for the better in the future. Sidenote, his shaders do look sweet. I'll give NRS creds there, most of his shaders are nice.

I could go on but this is just my honest opinion as someone who uses GL since day one. He is fun and can compete but it's work, he needs to be better.

Last edited:
I just do your typical cliche off njs 1 or 2.

And I'm 99% a tag has to be given to you by a mod. That's how you see people with like an ermac one or a GL one.
Run your mouse just under your profile at the home screen and a mood chooser should pop up. Just click and pick!!

Da Tac0

So I was in the lab and I got b1 to cross up after a trait lift and I dashed in. It said cross up but I've only been able to ever do it the one time. Is it a hit and miss sort of thing or is it just not registering. I was playing against sups.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
So I was in the lab and I got b1 to cross up after a trait lift and I dashed in. It said cross up but I've only been able to ever do it the one time. Is it a hit and miss sort of thing or is it just not registering. I was playing against sups.
It's just weird like that, I doubt it was a legit cross up. I get those in the lab all the time

Da Tac0

It's just weird like that, I doubt it was a legit cross up. I get those in the lab all the time
Yeah I tried recreating it for 20 mins. My thing is if it registered there's a reason why and it should be able to be replicated. I didn't try switching stances and going over the different timing and distance while still standing over the character. I'm going to try again tonight or tomorrow.

Da Tac0

So what are the best ways to open someone who knows this match up? Just be patient and whiff punish? Zone more? Try cross up? Use B23 to end up plus 3 on block? Found myself getting worked today cause i wasn't opening people up....

I was rustled.

Bes110

Noob
So what are the best ways to open someone who knows this match up? Just be patient and whiff punish? Zone more? Try cross up? Use B23 to end up plus 3 on block? Found myself getting worked today cause i wasn't opening people up....

I was rustled.
Truth be told it really depends on what character the individual you are playing is using. Are there any characters in particular giving you fits?

Da Tac0

Truth be told it really depends on what character the individual you are playing is using. Are there any characters in particular giving you fits?
These are the top 5 I struggle against:

Harley
Batman
Superman
Robin
Dead shot

Not enough match up exp because I've only played em once or twice but they worry me:

Dr fate
Darkseid
Ivy
Redhood

Bes110

Noob
These are the top 5 I struggle against

Harley
Batman
Superman
Robin
Dead shot

Not enough match up exp because I've only played em once or twice but they worry me

Dr fate
Darkseid
Ivy
Redhood
Here are my general thoughts on these guys.

Batman: This matchup is hard. I would say that the matchup is clearly in Batman's favor. You can't zone him out because he can get in with bats, and once he is in, we don't have the type of wakeup that can contend with his pressure. Nor do we have a six frame attack to poke him out of his strings. Our walk speed helps in this one. The Batman players love the cross up fj3. If you can read this, you can actually walk in the opposite direction of the cross up and Batman will whiff. This allows for a full combo punish. The mb b3 is helpful as well. You have to be careful with that though...because Batman has a few quick hitting strings that will knock you out of it. When you get a knock down, attack. Batman doesn't have the greatest wake ups, and with our up close tools we can give him some trouble. You have to be willing to spend some bar in this one and make some reads. That is the nature of a matchup that isn't in our favor.

Harley: Harley isn't quite as bad. Harley has a jumping attack that contend with Lantern, which makes air to airs sort of scary. Her guns are quick enough to give us problems in the zoning war as well. In my experience, Harley is really about knowing what she does rather than what we can do. The Harley player is eventually going to go for the temper tantrum attack, which if blocked allows you time to get your stuff going. You have to sort of play with her in the mid range game. Good movement is key, as you can bait out a bad jump, or a bad attack, and go in with your b1.

Superman: This is another tough one because we sort of have to hold the f23 pressure. You can really frustrate a Superman player by stuffing their zoning. Remember you have a horizontal projectile. This means stuffing jumping lasers. The mb beam for us is effective, as it gets a knockdown and really turns the zoning in our favor. Baiting out wake ups is key here. You have to be able to punish the rising grab. With Superman you really just need to play fundamentally sound. Almost forgot! Superman players love crossing up after air dash. You can interrupt this with a fj1 and get a full combo!

Robin: Gotta zone this guy out. A lot of Robin players like to try to do that flip through the air move that I don't know the name of. They usually wont try it until they are in range to hit. Once you recognize this, stagger your zoning a little bit, so that when they eventually try this, you can mb b3 and get a full combo punish. You really have to know how to block Robin's strings and wait for your opportunity to attack when the battle is close. Careful of the string that has a second attack that is low. The footsies are not as much in our favor here because Robin has such long reach with his sword. If you can get a mb wall in, you will push him back full screen.

Deadshot: PATIENCE! I know it is hard, and in fact this is my least favorite matchup, (close with Batman). After Deadshot's b1 got the nerf we can win the up close battle much easier. Take advantage when you get in with our new found patch help. When you get a knock down Deadshot players love trying their knee wakeup, because they want to be back full screen. You should easily be able to predict this and punish with either a nj, bj, or a mb b3. Careful on the timing of the b3 though, the meter burn knee hits twice.

Fate: We can actually outzone him. When they activate trait, let them eat mb beam. They get antsy because they don't want to waste their trait, so you can get a few good shots in. When up close, always assume they are waking up with their push back ankh. This can be punished with a mb b3, or you can get close, crouch block, and get them with b1. Careful with his teleport move where he falls from the ceiling. You can full punish if you catch it. Just learn the movements for it.

Darkeid: You can fight the zoning battle, but this one is a bit tougher. My tactic is to approch approach approach. You can react to omega beams. If they jump, keep approaching. If they use omega beams react, and if they teleport Green Lanterns walk speed is enough to get out of the way. You can full combo punish with a b1 off of air teleport.

Ivy: Ivy and Green Lantern are pretty comprable with zoning, mainly because we can trade with her. She ha really weak wake ups, so beat her down when you get the chance. Get up close and personal. Careful of her string that hits low. It is advancing and doesn't look low unless you know. When her trait is out, you can challenge, but it is sometimes better to eat the chip if you have a lead. Watch for her f3, which goes across like half the screen. Ivy players like to distract you and then throw that out there.

Redhood: We can punish his air guns if we space well and punish with b1 combo. His wakeups are tough because they throw off a lot of our game. They are both either advancing and retreating and both do multi hits. Zoning is pretty even. This matchup reminds me of Harley, in the respect that you need to know what the opponent will try to do with their character so you can be ready to act when you can. Delay wakeup and roll wakeup are effective in countering his mine set-up game.

Hope this helped a little bit! I am not the greatest player, but have been practicing for a few months now so take what you will from it!

Last edited:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Its also important to note in the Red Hood MU, a reversal Lanterns Might will punish the Overhead option of his trait attacks for a full combo. I find it to be a more reliable punish than b1, especially when in the corner and the spacing can be weird.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Its also important to note in the Red Hood MU, a reversal Lanterns Might will punish the Overhead option of his trait attacks for a full combo. I find it to be a more reliable punish than b1, especially when in the corner and the spacing can be weird.
It punishes all the non-MB follow ups, not just the overhead option. You can also beat Red Hoods attempts to stagger his trait and end it early by mashing d1 after the second hit - your d1 only comes out if he attempts a stagger (and actually punishes if you're really on point, given that he's -8), due to injustice blockstun buffer mechanics.

You can also beat his invincible wake up (the back roll special) with a meaty b1 or a j3 - his invincibility runs out before your active frames do. His front lunge has no invincibility so will lose to b1, but may dodge your j3 depending on spacing/timing (e.g. if you went for a x-up or not). So on knockdown just b1 if you're confident he will wake up but you're just not sure which one he will go with.

Also, GL definitely does not need buffs. He is completely viable already. Even pre-patch the only truely bad (worse than 4-6) matchup was Deadshot, and that's a bit better now. He also does not need faster projectiles, the game already has plenty of strong zoners and GL is not meant to be a pure zoner.

Last edited: