What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
playing GL is still frustrating he gets zoned out almost as bad as the first game, his zoning isnt even better than it was in IGAU its just different.

without turbine or air rocket he doesnt do as well against black adam and without minigun he straight up loses to Bane now, he has no options in that matchup really you just have to outplay the Bane player. i really dont see why anyone who understands this character would say he's top 5 when he was nerfed from the last game. lanterns might doesnt go as high as it used to either btwe so if the character has a high jump arc it will whiff even if they are in range sometimes.

he needs a teleport and air rocket back lol

UnD34D

Noob
playing GL is still frustrating he gets zoned out almost as bad as the first game, his zoning isnt even better than it was in IGAU its just different.

without turbine or air rocket he doesnt do as well against black adam and without minigun he straight up loses to Bane now, he has no options in that matchup really you just have to outplay the Bane player. i really dont see why anyone who understands this character would say he's top 5 when he was nerfed from the last game. lanterns might doesnt go as high as it used to either btwe so if the character has a high jump arc it will whiff even if they are in range sometimes.

I agree with this sentiment completely. I was excited to main him until I realized he was nerfed from IGAU and basically subpar in every aspect of the game. I'm a terrible judge of tier, and the game is brand new, so there's tons of tech to be unearthed, but unless someone finds something, I'll probably be maining someone else (Supergirl, Black Adam, Superman)

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
That right there is BEAUTIFUL and good news. I'm in the lab right now and did a good 466 against Atrocitus(No gear). For the BnB into setup tho I can't picture it. Are we doing B1,3 + 4(Trait) + DB1 into the whiffed F2? or what?
Yea, that's the most reliable set up but it works after any traited LM. Whiff the F2 and just walk forward a bit over the body.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun

I wouldn't mind the diagonal air rocket coming back, that would really round out his space control right now. But I've been finding MB roll a fairly effective means of getting in on zoners, it's even better than turbine imo. It does suck that it takes away precious meter from GL though, as he is still pretty meter dependent.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?

There's gotta be a reason why some pro players are dubbing him potentially Top 5, etc. I guess we'll either have to wait and see or keep digging and find whatever tech/methods they're finding out. I personally miss Mini Gun more than anything and found that I do like Lantern's new blast special(forget name-BF+2). Different type of zoning than before but trying to adjust. The Lantern bombs are cool too but combo//set up wise I can't think of anything substantial yet

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
A teleport would have made things interesting. Still, I like GL in this game. His new exploding Lanterns are a nice addition.
i actually like the exploding lantern move and i use it a lot but it should be a little faster or shouldnt go away on hit

I wouldn't mind the diagonal air rocket coming back, that would really round out his space control right now. But I've been finding MB roll a fairly effective means of getting in on zoners, it's even better than turbine imo. It does suck that it takes away precious meter from GL though, as he is still pretty meter dependent.
his MB roll just doesnt seem that good or maybe im just not used to doing it because for me it hasnt worked out too well and yea making the extremely meter dependent character use meter to get in is rough.

There's gotta be a reason why some pro players are dubbing him potentially Top 5, etc. I guess we'll either have to wait and see or keep digging and find whatever tech/methods they're finding out. I personally miss Mini Gun more than anything and found that I do like Lantern's new blast special(forget name-BF+2). Different type of zoning than before but trying to adjust. The Lantern bombs are cool too but combo//set up wise I can't think of anything substantial yet
i really dont see why or how he could be top 5. he didnt get better than he was in IGAU, i wouldnt be surprised if Pig just said it to spite me. im not saying he's the worst in the game but he struggles for sure

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
i actually like the exploding lantern move and i use it a lot but it should be a little faster or shouldnt go away on hit

his MB roll just doesnt seem that good or maybe im just not used to doing it because for me it hasnt worked out too well and yea making the extremely meter dependent character use meter to get in is rough.

i really dont see why or how he could be top 5. he didnt get better than he was in IGAU, i wouldnt be surprised if Pig just said it to spite me. im not saying he's the worst in the game but he struggles for sure
Who are Pig and folks saying are Top 5?

The only thing I've really seen is that Canary, Deadshot, Grodd, and possibly Capt Cold are really solid.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Yeah I don't know. I definitely can't claim to be a top player but it is interesting. Him, that guy Gross who someone posted his tweet about new GL setups and a couple other folks are all claiming he's solid and I suppose sharing or hiding tech/methods that they're finding. I wanna see I really do. As you said I do wish the Lantern Bombs came out a sec quicker and stayed on hit but I do like em tho. The Bowling Ball seems wack to me but the Wall is a new wake up option at least

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Whats up guys. Quick question: what would you say is Green Lantern's gameplan in this game?

I feel like it kind of revolves around the use of b+1,3? It's fast, advancing, low, safe, and launches into good damage. I enjoyed him in the first one but the loss of a few of his key specials make him feel different in this game.

I was just curious as to what people think his general play style needs to be to be effective.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
So, b13, trait, lantern's might still works as a f3 cross over set up. Here's a meter less option from that set up:

B13, 4, DB1; Walk Forward; F3 (Cross Up), F2, DB2-B, DB1, 223, DB1

Damage on Superman 138.82 then 421.8
560.62 for no bars ain't half bad...

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
Whats up guys. Quick question: what would you say is Green Lantern's gameplan in this game?

I feel like it kind of revolves around the use of b+1,3? It's fast, advancing, low, safe, and launches into good damage. I enjoyed him in the first one but the loss of a few of his key specials make him feel different in this game.

I was just curious as to what people think his general play style needs to be to be effective.
I think he and Aquaman do the same thing: whiff punish and control mid screen.
They both have far reaching low normal starters with mid reaching overhead tools for mix ups. The big difference is that I think Lantern is a bit more offensive and Aquaman is more defensive.
Lantern has more zoning options but they're only good. Aquaman's Tentacle Strike is great from anywhere on screen. It seems like Lantern wants to keep you close in order to keep you guessing and use zoning as a means to bring you to him.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
GL is feels more zoney and set up viable in this game imo, loving it lol. Like others have said, loving the explosive lantern move, great for defense, zoning and his new fireball great improvement NRS! Sure, not the easiest to win with but it's fun none the less.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Why are character forums doing discords when they can just chat here. It kinda defeats the purpose of the forum and the discords are always much more unorganized
Yeah I mean I know I'm no King of this forum but I vote for keeping everything here. Discord is unnecessary imo