What's new

Tech - Kung Lao Gaps in Tempest strings

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
What are the Kung Laos answers to back dashing after B321 or armouring through F23, other than EX-Spin?
B321 ex hat allows you to block any reversal except 6f ones before they come out, so both players spend a bar but Lao gets the punish.
Also, you dont have to do B321 hat, because B32 hat is a true blockstring and has no gap.
Backdashing the hat means Lao can just immediately run in because hes now basically been given a free orbit hat set up.

F23 isnt something I use, because better players never get hit by the low anyway, and F2 itself is a really good normal.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
B321 ex hat allows you to block any reversal except 6f ones before they come out, so both players spend a bar but Lao gets the punish.
Also, you dont have to do B321 hat, because B32 hat is a true blockstring and has no gap.
Backdashing the hat means Lao can just immediately run in because hes now basically been given a free orbit hat set up.

F23 isnt something I use, because better players never get hit by the low anyway, and F2 itself is a really good normal.
If you run in after they back dash b321 ex hat don't you get a full combo?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
If you run in after they back dash b321 ex hat don't you get a full combo?
Yeah I remember last time we played and you used Lao, you did that to punish my backdash a few times.
Yeah I'm seeing that you do, it's tight timing however at least against Sub Zero. Is it reactable though? Like, enough time to either run in if they backdash and catch them, or B321 without armorable gap if they dont?

DavS13

Noob
Yeah I'm seeing that you do, it's tight timing however at least against Sub Zero. Is it reactable though? Like, enough time to either run in if they backdash and catch them, or B321 without armorable gap if they dont?
Its just a read because If I decided to armor instead of backdash I would get a full combo punish. If I backdashed he read it he would run in 44

I GOT HANDS

Its just a read because If I decided to armor instead of backdash I would get a full combo punish. If I backdashed he read it he would run in 44
Yeah exactly. That makes this sort of thing very viable. I think this is a classic case of

No options:
When you have one or more options in any given situation.

No options whatsoever.
When you have one or more options in any given situation, but are not pleased with them.

However, it doesn't change how broken Tempest is like the OP seems to think, character still needs toning down without a doubt.

Tweedy

Noob
Every character I play gets nerfed. If you bitches nerf Lao I will switch to Shinnok.

Do not test me!

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Every character I play gets nerfed. If you bitches nerf Lao I will switch to Shinnok.

Do not test me!
homie, Lao's phantom hitbox jump 2 is not staying in this game.
True nerfs that aren't fixes will come to bone Shaper before tempest Lao, probably.
I don't think Shinnok will be able to jail so well for much longer.

protools27

Rebel without a scene
A guy wants to drop some info for the purpose of sharing with a community he enjoys being a part of, then gets eviscerated for it. Do better, us. We are all we have with respect to this game.
Usually I am for this attitude, but if he had spent just a little time looking through the forums he would have found that this is pretty common knowledge. I don't even play Lao and I knew this. Also he could have posed it as a question, rather then hey look Lao isn't as good as you guys think because of these gaps that everyone knows about already.

I GOT HANDS

homie, Lao's phantom hitbox jump 2 is not staying in this game.
True nerfs that aren't fixes will come to bone Shaper before tempest Lao, probably.
I don't think Shinnok will be able to jail so well for much longer.
Ideally, he would be balanced in ways that did not impact the other two MUCH less broken variations in a negative way. I'm ok with losing that J2 however I think the focus should be on bringing Tempest in line with the other two variations.

A guy wants to drop some info for the purpose of sharing with a community he enjoys being a part of, then gets eviscerated for it. Do better, us. We are all we have with respect to this game.
Well said, although he probably should have put it in general discussion if unsure.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Usually I am for this attitude, but if he had spent just a little time looking through the forums he would have found that this is pretty common knowledge. I don't even play Lao and I knew this. Also he could have posed it as a question, rather then hey look Lao isn't as good as you guys think because of these gaps that everyone knows about already.
You're right. Fuck him.

I GOT HANDS

Why do you see characters like lao as dumb when there are other characters with more simple game plans (BS shinnok)? I'm just curious.
Just because something is dumb, does not mean something else cannot be even more so. He didn't say it's the dumbest character in the game.