What's new

Tech - Kung Lao Gaps in Tempest strings

gam224

The world's least hype player
Just because something is dumb, does not mean something else cannot be even more so. He didn't say it's the dumbest character in the game.
I realize that but i never saw lao as dumb myself. I find that lao doesn't have like a super easy game plan in fact i find him to be kind of a technical character. His main mix ups are throw mix ups and in general it's hard to maintain mixups after those, granted he also has good frame traps and such but i really respect a good lao. i respect laos more than cassies and EBs personally.

Zedzs

Shaolin
B321 ex hat allows you to block any reversal except 6f ones before they come out, so both players spend a bar but Lao gets the punish.
Also, you dont have to do B321 hat, because B32 hat is a true blockstring and has no gap.
Backdashing the hat means Lao can just immediately run in because hes now basically been given a free orbit hat set up.

F23 isnt something I use, because better players never get hit by the low anyway, and F2 itself is a really good normal.
I legit just mentioned the B23 Orbiting Hat option.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I legit just mentioned the B23 Orbiting Hat option.
And it's legit the worst example there, because it isn't in any way shape or form capitalizing on the backdash or turning it into a high risk scenario for your opponent. In fact it is just sacrificing a hit to avoid giving your opponent an option.

It's the other stuff that I was interested in looking at discussing. The options are well enough so that backdash is very viable.

Wow some people here are absolute assholes
Welcome to TYM.

They can discourage this sort of thing by all means IMO but putting pics up of a noose and the shia lebough "just do it", is just wow. Absolute assholishness / basement dweller behaviour, talk about overreacting.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I misread the title Why Tremor isn't as good as you think and came in to eat some popcorn. Not today.
On topic, tempest is ok. Pick up hat trick already.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So... First off, I didn't know about these gaps, so thank you OP. Not that I'll ever use them b/c I never remember to backdash anything lol

Secondly,

If this is indeed correct and useful information (which from reading the non troll posts in this thread I've gathered that it is)... why are you guys shitting all over him? Even if it helps one person learn more about the game, it was a success. And I applaud the OP for actually going into training mode and trying to learn how to beat a character.

I GOT HANDS

I realize that but i never saw lao as dumb myself. I find that lao doesn't have like a super easy game plan in fact i find him to be kind of a technical character. His main mix ups are throw mix ups and in general it's hard to maintain mixups after those, granted he also has good frame traps and such but i really respect a good lao. i respect laos more than cassies and EBs personally.
He probably just meant dumb as in balance wise, dumb implementation of a character by NRS. He needs to be toned down a little. Not necessarily dumb to play though.

Robotic

Gentleman.
After reading OP post, I already started to feel bad for him. I knew what was going to come after.
It's a shame how many lurkers read the forums and might have good info/tech to post and are subsequently discouraged from doing so because they are afraid of getting mollywhopped by the rest of us. We hinder our own growth. We don't calmly correct, we whoop dat ass. It is what it is, I guess.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Outside of a guaranteed punish, why would a Lao ever use 44?

I'm not a pro or anything, but I do main Lao and watch all of the great Lao users.
For big damage after an orbiting hat? Even the best players will eventually miss that 2 frame link, so it's good to know how to punish that mistake.

If this is indeed correct and useful information (which from reading the non troll posts in this thread I've gathered that it is)... why are you guys shitting all over him?
Because of the title. You don't get to claim tempest is not as good as people think and be thanked for it. If the title was something like "Stuff about tempest you maybe didn't know" then everyone would appreciate.

Zedzs

Shaolin
And it's legit the worst example there, because it isn't in any way shape or form capitalizing on the backdash or turning it into a high risk scenario for your opponent. In fact it is just sacrificing a hit to avoid giving your opponent an option.

It's the other stuff that I was interested in looking at discussing. The options are well enough so that backdash is very viable.

Um, actually no. My situation is the most viable. The best way to avoid being punished is to eliminate the option to punish. You're clueless.

I GOT HANDS

Um, actually no. My situation is the most viable. The best way to avoid being punished is to eliminate the option to punish. You're clueless.
For starters you fucked up your quoting while letting that supreme intelligence show, but I fixed it for you.

Regardless, I think you are getting mad because you are having trouble comprehending this. Look at what I quoted. These were your words as well.

Backdashing in these situations is high risk[...]Lao players pray upon these risks.
Kung lao players are begging you to take those risks. Good to know if you need to but you can't rely on these gaps to get you out. They are just too risky.

So exactly how does skipping the last hit of B321 to avoid the gap entirely constitute as "preying upon risks", or making it all risky for your opponent? Answer: it doesn't at all, it just means your opponent can't get out, at the cost of damage from your end. I didn't once say it wasn't a viable option for removing the gap, you are that absorbed in your own stupidity that you are incapable of recognizing that I never asked how Kung Lao can make it consistent and remove the gaps, I wanted to discuss what the options are that make backdashing in that gap so risky that it is completely unviable. If your answer is costing YOURSELF damage just to avoid the "high risk backdash" in the first place, that completely contradicts the statement that you are "preying on the backdash that you are begging for people to use". Use your brain here it's not that hard.

Last edited:

Zedzs

Shaolin
You forgot to quote the big
For starters you fucked up your quoting while letting that supreme intelligence show, but I fixed it for you.

Regardless, I think you are getting mad because you are having trouble comprehending this. Look at what I quoted. These were your words as well.

So exactly how does skipping the last hit of B321 to avoid the gap entirely constitute as "preying upon risks", or making it all risky for your opponent? Answer: it doesn't at all, it just means your opponent can't get out at the cost of damage from your end. I didn't once say it wasn't a viable option for removing the gap, you are that absorbed in your own stupidity that you are incapable of recognizing that I never asked how Kung Lao can make it consistent and remove the gaps, I wanted to discuss what the options are that make backdashing in that gap so risky that it is completely unviable. If your answer is costing YOURSELF damage just to avoid the "high risk backdash" in the first place, that completely contradicts the statement that you are "preying on the backdash that you are begging for people to use". Use your brain here it's not that hard.
You forgot to quote the bit where I talked about having answers for these risks. I provided you with an answer lel.

I GOT HANDS

You forgot to quote the big

You forgot to quote the bit where I talked about having answers for these risks. I provided you with an answer lel.
I didn't say you didn't, I just said that your answer of using B32xxHat Spin instead was the legit the worst answer there after you started talking about how you were the first to say it. Because it's not even answering the question.

Revisionist history doesn't work when everything you are trying to rewrite is just two scrolls upwards. I'm going to stop engaging with you now, 11 posts in and you are already this retarded, poor first impressions.