What's new

Tech - Kung Lao Gaps in Tempest strings

ujustgotpwndX2

Quan "Glass Cannon" Chi
After hitting the lab a little bit to work on my kung lao match up i discovered a few gaps in kung laos pressure that make Tempest not that strong. Idk if this is being discovered for the first time or if this already has a thread so forgive me if it does.

FIRST GAP

after a b321 you can back dash assuming the Lao player does a hat spin (db1), this is pretty strong considering that b231 into hat is one of kung laos main pressure strings as well as being a strong combo starter. This doesn't totally end his pressure though, If the lao uses EX spin (df1) then he will catch you leading to a combo. Now assuming he doesn't EX spin then you are free to apply your own pressure.

SECOND GAP

The second gap is in kung laos main "low" starter in f23, If you see the forward 2 you are free to back dash before the second hit comes through, or if you don't feel confident that you can react to this in time then you can wait until the second hit comes out and back dash the incoming hat spin (db1), although this may be slightly harder since their is more block stun when you low block, making this situation possibly harder to get out of. Like before though the lao player can use an EX Spin (df1) to catch you for a combo when you attempt to back dash creating more mind games. as well as being able to spin he is also able to use f21 if he thinks you will back dash the 2nd hit of the string.

THIRD GAP

This gap is probably more known but i will mention it anyway. In between the 44 string a player can back dash. these leads to the lao player being at disadvantage, and like the previous situations lao can EX spin after the first 4 to catch the opposing player. Note: this isn't a common string thrown out in neutral so this isn't as useful.

Conclusion

Lao has some gaps in some of his important strings that lead to the opposing player being able to start their own offense or even punish in some situations, this makes tempests pressure weaker than it was before and gives others more info to help win in the match ups. Along with this some of the only strings where you have to block the hat spin (db1) include 112124 into hat spin and b2 into hat spin. Overall Lao is still a good character but has some flaws that can be abused.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Tempest doesn't ever use 44 as starter. You try to punish this with armour you will open yourself up to full combo. Maybe you can block one if he misses the Hatspin into 44 link, but that's just punishing a dropped combo.

I don't think the other ones are as bad as people are saying they are, and they are important things to know playing against Tempest. That being said, they aren't as good as you are saying either. Certainly doesn't change how ridiculous Tempest is as the moment.

Last edited:

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Let's do the math,the gaps you mentioned above are nothing compared to his strong tool,the char has a safe combo started special without using a bar,that's a fact,so.......he is as good as we think!!!

Zedzs

Shaolin
These "gaps" are not feasible for 3 reasons:
1. Reacting to these strings is rare in a real game situation.
2. Backdashing in these situations is high risk.
3. Lao players pray upon these risks and always has answers to these "gaps"

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Kung lao players are begging you to take those risks. Good to know if you need to but you can't rely on these gaps to get you out. They are just too risky.
These "gaps" are not feasible for 3 reasons:
1. Reacting to these strings is rare in a real game situation.
2. Backdashing in these situations is high risk.
3. Lao players pray upon these risks and always has answers to these "gaps"
What are the Kung Laos answers to back dashing after B321 or armouring through F23, other than EX-Spin?