What's new

Game of Thrones (TV) talk (SPOILERS)

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I'm about to watch the latest episode right now. I skipped all the messages and I will be back with opinions a little later :p

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I knew from the beginning Oberyn was dead. He let his emotions get to him and it seemed obvious that his pride would be his downfall. I liked him too though :(

I will say how it happened was pretty shocking, that should totally be a new fatality in the new MK.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I was absolutely crushed by the end of that episode. I fell in love with that character through the entire season, and I would have mained the hell out of him in a fighter. The red wedding made me sick to my stomach....but this was somehow even worse!!!! I don't even know how that's possible.

All seriousness, I find GRR Martin's storytelling both depressing and oddly fascinating in its dissection of fantasy tropes. Tonight reminds me of several moments in previous episodes. In season 1 Jorah Mormont is having a debate with a dothraki who believes that speed beats strength, and in a subsquent episode reveals that all the speed and cutting power of the dothraki weapons against platemail are simply futile. At the end of the season, a trully great and marvelous swordsman is defeated by an extremely mediocre one who possess the advantage of size, armor, and weapons strength. In a later episode the hound more or less breaks this down in a conversation with Arya. Tonights episode is yet another add on to the pile.

TLDR: sometimes all your knowledge, execution, fundamentals, and sheer raw determination can't overcome a bad matchup.

EDIT:

I never actually thought she was all that....until tonight. Goddamn those were some nice funbags.

Except that he beat the mountain? Then let his ego beat himself essentially...also throughout the books there are lots of "quick, unarmorded fighters " that take down "slower, armored" guys...so wth you talking about

Zoidberg747

Except that he beat the mountain? Then let his ego beat himself essentially...also throughout the books there are lots of "quick, unarmorded fighters " that take down "slower, armored" guys...so wth you talking about
Yeah, if anything it showed that even all the tools and strength in the world doesnt beat good strategy.

Haven't read the books, just a trend I noticed in the series. Also, his ego was what got the better of him, but it still basically boiled down to what Bronn said in an earlier episode. Something to the effect of: "Maybe i can dance around, tire him out....but I make one mistake....and I'm done." He had it...but he didn't seal the deal and got wakeup supered for his troubles.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Maaaaaaaaaan Oberyn dying really annoyed me. He had Gregor beay and let his quest for perfect vengeance get the better of him, But its more of the fact that he was one of the more interesting characters on the show. I was looking forward to the role he was going to play for future plots but never mind.

All personal feelings aside, shout outs to GoT for the MK style end to the fight.

I have to admit I didn't see it coming until mid-fight when Oberyn started screaming for Mountain to confess his crimes. Then I immediately knew he would lose because of his anger. But even then, even if I knew it was coming I was still shocked. And I'm still feeling pretty bad about his death (especially the way he died).

It sucks because I really liked that character. He was a good actor and had this lovable douche personality lol. I LOVED his last scenes where he talked to Varys and Thyrion. "I will be your champion." RIP Oberyn :(

I personally would love to see Thyrion kill Mountain. I honestly think he could do it. Mountain is super strong but he's also slow as hell. Thyrion could just avoid every attack, and if he gets caught by Mountain he could throw dirt or spit blood in his eyes and finish him off. Then they will make a song about the Imp who killed the Mountain and play it in every tavern in every town. Otherwise I might rage quit Game of Thrones forever.

Last edited:

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I have to admit I didn't see it coming until mid-fight when Oberyn started screaming for Mountain to confess his crimes. Then I immediately knew he would lose because of his anger. But even then, even if I knew it was coming I was still shocked. And I'm still feeling pretty bad about his death (especially the way he died).

It sucks because I really liked that character. He was a good actor and had this lovable douche personality lol. I LOVED his last scenes where he talked to Varys and Thyrion. "I will be your champion." RIP Oberyn :(

I personally would love to see Thyrion kill Mountain. I honestly think he could do it. Mountain is super strong but he's also slow as hell. Thyrion could just avoid every attack, and if he gets caught by Mountain he could throw dirt or spit blood in his eyes and finish him off. Then they will make a song about the Imp who killed the Mountain and play it in every tavern in every town. Otherwise I might rage quit Game of Thrones forever.
The Mountain is already dead though...

Sami

Noob
Tyrion is also exceptionally slow - having very short legs will do that. All the Mountain would need to do is sweep with his sword down low and Tyrion would be done. Oberyn had the right style to beat the Mountain as he was quicker and smarter, just pride got in the way of finishing the job properly.

Oh well, it's done. Next up:

Something to remember is that the visual effects budget has barely been touched this series - 1-2 brief shots of the dragons and that's it. I get the feeling it's all being saved up for this episode...

The Mountain is already dead though...
You saw him roll over after being stabbed. You didn't see him "die". I'm not saying he's alive or dead, just that you don't know 100% from this episode.

edit: Also, anyone still in shock should be cheered up by this: http://www.mtv.com/news/1836686/the-mountain-and-the-viper-bathing-suit-game-of-thrones/

Last edited:

Jaku2011

Filled with determination

Ummm Tyrion is probably way slower than the Mountain

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
sansa and little finger are gonna get rid of dat little shit in the vale , on his ''hunting trip'' . then proceed to fuck the lanisters and boltons up ,, dis gon be gud

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
the ending to the last show has me so sick im done with it
GTFO. Don't stop now lol

Oberyn was awesome, but the reprucussions his death are going to reach far greater limits than if he had defeated Gregor.

The Mountain confessed in front of all the nobles including the martels that he raped, murdered, and killed the Princess of Dorne, and her children.

Tywin sent them to the mountain...and the Martels are their main source of coin right now. If that alliance falls apart...the Lions are in some serious shit.

Little Finger and Sansa intrigue me. I was so fucking happy to see her walk down those steps in that badass dress. FINALLY Sansa is going to to show some courage, and she is a lot more intelligent than she lets on...I doubt Little Finger is going to allow the murder of Caitlin Stark go without punishment...and if the Vale takes the north, he owns both the Vale and has the "key" to the north on his side.

I have no idea what's going to happen with Tyrion...I can't see him dying but then again I never thought Ned was going to get his head cut off in the first season either. I think Jaime is going to play a part here, and Shae is definitely going to as well...there are reprucussions to actions...and I can really see her getting her shit pushed in some how.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
The actor for Ser Gregor is fucking huge, I could definitely see him doing that to someone I've seen a lot of gory Shit in my days but that Shit was brutal and I'm still traumatized :(

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
The actor for Ser Gregor is fucking huge, I could definitely see him doing that to someone I've seen a lot of gory Shit in my days but that Shit was brutal and I'm still traumatized :(
Not sure if anyone cares, but Gregor is actually a 'worlds strongest man' contender from Iceland. Random short documentary if anyone is interested.

Zoidberg747

Its not actually possible for most people to crush a skull with their bare hands, but the actor who plays gregor is a strongman competitor and actually might have the strength to pull it off.