What's new

Game Companies Milking Series

Should companies milk game series?

• Total voters

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Assassin's Creed would be more interesting if it focused on Erudito hackers and less running on rooftops. ( I stopped after Brotherhood )

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
It looks awesome but...I'm not gonna be expecting much
So...don't buy it.

The only voice you have here (or anywhere in the marketplace) is with your wallet. By buying it, you're telling the company "I agree with whatever caused this product to end up in my hands - here's my money".

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Normally, games that are being milked are the ones I lose interest in rather quickly b/c it's just the same thing over and over...

I thought AC 1 was AMAZING and then 2 & 3 happened and I never finished either of those.

I'd much prefer waiting if it means a better quality game and not just recycled trash.

They aren't really milking final fantasy except for the 13 series. Almost every final fantasy has a new storyline so it's definitely fine. There is a lack of good japanese rpg's nowadays, especially if you're not totally into that anime stuff.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
So...don't buy it.

The only voice you have here (or anywhere in the marketplace) is with your wallet. By buying it, you're telling the company "I agree with whatever caused this product to end up in my hands - here's my money".
Read the op. I'm trying to tell people that the only way to stop this is to stop buying milked game series until the devs understand that they need to put quality over quantity

E

Eldriken

Getting milked = yearly release.
Final Fantasy =/= yearly release.

Sure, its quality has declined over the years, but it's certainly not being milked.

Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc. all fall under that category.

Vagrant

Noob
Very excited for new AC titles.

I'm a big fan of the way they develop this story and have been following it since the original.

Could give a shit less about the people complaining about it, quality has always been up there to justify the pricetag imo.

Rogue is last gen exclusive btw. Which is why the close release to unity doesn't surprise me.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Funny how I think most of these "milked" games are complete shit. I liked the first two Assassin's, never could stand CoD.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Bethesda is doing it correctly, releasing a elder scrolls game every 2-4 years is smart and skyrim is still one of the best games of this decade. As for assassins creed , I never even finished 3 (thanks for spoilers of Desmond dying @Skellington ) because it was boring, Only haytham made the game fun and to me the series has gotten stale with the same missions in every single one and not that great voice acting for certain characters. Madden to me is the biggest milked series out of any game ever made, I own every CoD and at least call of duty trys to entertain you with cool maps and zombies and what not, but madden doesn't even fuckin try at all. madden 25 is a joke, terrible defense op offense, the defense=joker the offense=mmh. you cannot fucking stop a human being most of the time on offense, you can call the most spot on play ever, and the ai will fucking stand there like retards and not make a play on the ball. no real franchise mode in 25 either, why can't I play as a team in franchise anymore, they took out the one thing that made madden good like wth are they thinking at EA. madden is the biggest milked franchise ever. they make shit games year after year and I fall for the trap and end up buying it.
Madden isn't milked, it just NEEDS to come out every year.

Madden 25 is VERY well done and has helped me love Madden again.

They've made Franchise mode far more realistic by letting you be a player,coach or owner and idk why you're struggling to stop teams but in All-Madden I've been able to hold Peyton to only 14 points bit then I've also gotten torched for 35 in the same year....no game will ever be perfect, there will always be kinks to work around.

Flagg

Noob
You guys would love it if MK 9 had yearly releases with new characters, new stages, balance patches, etcetera.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
You guys would love it if MK 9 had yearly releases with new characters, new stages, balance patches, etcetera.
Maaaaan, that wouldve kept that game going strong for so long. From release UNTIL MKX was announced. If its one thing i wish NRS would do its "milk" those updates/patches/bug fixes. Put the game out there, give it about a year, and then patch/fix/etc. Rinse and repeat. Sure, you'd probably have to re-buy the game over per major update, but ill take a $15-$20 yearly pricetag if i know my game is being looked over and managed accordingly. Though from what Boon claimed, they just dont have enough time to invest into a single game for very long. For whatever reason, thats a downer, but it is what it is.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
You know they also milked the hell out of shows too? Like Pokemon and Yu go oh. Most shows with hella product revenue

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The problem is, they load these new games or new versions of the game with gimmicks and flashy features without putting actual quality and good content into the game. This happened after Halo 2, with Halo 3 and beyond; after CoD4, with MW2 and beyond, etc. They realize they can sell a shitload just based on the name of the title alone, so there's very little reason for them to dedicate their time to actually making it a quality game that can last years. "Sequels" these days, unless it's a fighting game, ware out within months because after all the gimmicks are played out, you're left with a shitty game.

It's actually mainly the peoples fault. They pre-order sequels just because the one before was good. Makes sense, but it pretty much allows this shit to happen. And if the game sucks or gets boring... oh well, a new version of it will come out next year.

SkaGoogle

Tailgates & Tan-lines !
Madden isn't milked, it just NEEDS to come out every year.

Madden 25 is VERY well done and has helped me love Madden again.

They've made Franchise mode far more realistic by letting you be a player,coach or owner and idk why you're struggling to stop teams but in All-Madden I've been able to hold Peyton to only 14 points bit then I've also gotten torched for 35 in the same year....no game will ever be perfect, there will always be kinks to work around.
don't know about you but I've bought madden almost every year except 13, go back and play old maddens, franchise mode was what it was, I got to control a team and play through a season with them, they have now limited that to you can only play as 1 Player, 1 Coach, or 1 Owner.

why can't I play as a team anymore? why? why take out the only thing that redeems madden from being completely garbage, no more online franchise mode either which was mainly why I played, that shit is all gone, and I think I didn't clarify enough, you holding peyton manning to 14 points is exactly the problem, on all madden I won a game last week 122-14. all madden is a fucking joke, ai is to predictable, they can't cover any play you call at the line, I litterally with the vikings ran the same play over and over just swapping sides with adrian peterson and was able to score on all madden, I shouldn't have to adjust my sliders to make the game playable, the damn offense shouldn't be so op. As for the comment I made, I said that it is near impossible to stop a HUMAN opponent who knows what he's doing.

I've called perfect spot on plays online only for the ai to stand there and just allow catches, I'm talking about receivers in the low 80s making catches in cover 3 or in quater formation, like wtf is this shit?

I know this is a long rant but I dont care i'm going to completely dismember this game, the infinity engine so called 2.0 is still not good, guys still fall through the ground and trip for no reason at all, hey cptxecution just run a pass play on all madden and watch there will be a guy open on almost every single play no matter the coverage. all this plus lack of modes/removal of franchise/ terrible physics/ op offense running backs who are only in the 80s and still break every tackle/ receivers always open/ defense non exsistent, the list goes on and on, they milk this franchise because they are the only nfl football game which means they can make it bad and milk you for your money because they know if you want to play a football game you have to buy theirs.

TL;DR : Offense= Martian man hunter
Defense= Cyborg
it's a 10-0 matchup.

I stopped caring about AC after 3 because Desmond dies. I don't even know wtf they're doing with the story and I seriously don't care.

Man it really sucks that AC was made by Ubisoft, if only it were another company maybe like Bethesda they'd know how to love their series aside from the money it makes.
Dude,spoiler tag that shit.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Bethesda is doing it correctly, releasing a elder scrolls game every 2-4 years is smart and skyrim is still one of the best games of this decade. As for assassins creed , I never even finished 3 (thanks for spoilers of Desmond dying @Skellington ) because it was boring, Only haytham made the game fun and to me the series has gotten stale with the same missions in every single one and not that great voice acting for certain characters. Madden to me is the biggest milked series out of any game ever made, I own every CoD and at least call of duty trys to entertain you with cool maps and zombies and what not, but madden doesn't even fuckin try at all. madden 25 is a joke, terrible defense op offense, the defense=joker the offense=mmh. you cannot fucking stop a human being most of the time on offense, you can call the most spot on play ever, and the ai will fucking stand there like retards and not make a play on the ball. no real franchise mode in 25 either, why can't I play as a team in franchise anymore, they took out the one thing that made madden good like wth are they thinking at EA. madden is the biggest milked franchise ever. they make shit games year after year and I fall for the trap and end up buying it.
You gotta user that shit with the MLB and user pick everything. Most craptards online try to throw right at your ass since you are user. Get a good linebacker if you play anything other that Madden Ultimate Team. Keuchley or Willis get it done well in regular mode, and as for MUT, Ray Lewis is stupid.

On topic, sports games (other then WWE) get the free pass simply because they need that new roster. You can't really argue the fact of releasing a new sports title every year, however, you can argue that they don't offer anything new as far as gameplay every year. The graphics are updated very well, but some things seem to be forgotten or ignored when it comes to the actual gameplay. For instance, in Madden, they made man defense easier to beat unless you have a ridiculous lock down cornerback. 2 man under used to be untouchable, now, you can tear it up with an out route or running back out of the backfield for FREE. It's almost worthy of calling it a glitch it's so bad. To combat that, they are adding a "defensive hot route" to guard the first down marker and stop that garbage. It will probably open up another BS play or route that crushes almost everything. It reminds me of Cyrax: fix something then someone finds something else to burn you with. I have played football some in college and Madden is nothing but a rock/paper/scissors attempt at true football gameplay anyway. This is why I don't feel like you can put it part of this group as far as copy/paste. It will suck anyway.

As far as other titles are concerned, I have completely stopped buying and playing COD. Complete and utter crap. You want to talk about a company that literally right clicks, hits new document, and pushes Ctrl+v, let's talk about the COD franchise. Nobody cares. The height of this franchise IMO (and of many others that are simply concerned about story and balance/competitive issues online) was Modern Warfare. Not #2, the first one that most simply called COD 4. Shooters should have few options on a competitive level as far as loadouts and weapon viability, similar to Halo (which I blow at for the record). BR is the go to loadout and snipers are dangerous to an extent. COD 4 offered that with the MP5. It wasn't until YEARS down the road that AR's became viable. Rushing down with an SMG was just too powerful and fast for an AR to keep up. Even pubs were dominated by MP5's and P90's. COD decides to sompletely switch up this gameplay to make it more realistic. Bad decision in itself because Battlefield is the only way to go for realism. By that time, all the children are getting hold of the game and it's downhill from there. Give me zombies, that is all. Plus there is still no need to buy another COD for zombies because you can get all that and some more with custom zombies for the PC.

All titles are starting to go with the copy/paste method because most gamers want a reskinned update of their favorite online game. Nobody cares about the single player or offline experience in anything that they play. Even one of the most rarely seen games in history has turned into crap in my opinion. Gran Turismo used to be the most impossible game on earth to complete 100%. Months had to be poured into this thing not only to get your skill up to complete certain challenges such as driving the Red Bull Fan Cars, but also to simply complete all of the garbage side races and challenges. I now own the best of the best cars in that game from one week of playing. The push for digital download forced me to get a digital copy of the game, now, I'm stuck with a game that has no online (competitive at least) that I have already beaten and none of my friends play because they like to take 40 MPH turns at 120 MPH and complain that the car won't drift.

It's just the society that we live in now. Everyone has to be a Renaissance man and even that definition in itself has been lost. Yeah, they do everything, but not well....they just happen to do everything. This falls into gaming. Anybody remember how cool you were to know all the secrets in Mario when none of your friends did? I'll laugh in your face now if you tell me that you know something in an adventure, action, sports, or shooter that nobody else knows. Fighters seem to be the only exception because so few play to know everything about them. They just wanna hit a few buttons and win. Wanna know how most people play fighters? Watch the 40 year old virgin and check out those two guys hitting buttons on the N64 MK they are playing. They hit so many damn buttons that they have to switch how they hold the controller because their hands are tired. I know it's a movie, but that has some truth.

Most people on this site are in the minority because they want to conquer a game, have quality while playing the game and expect better to come or shut the series down. Never gonna happen again. These companies will not throw easy dollars out the window for the minority while every comatose idiot in the country buys the crap that they put out that took two weeks to make. Only way to stop this is to stop buying the game. I stopped buying COD, but has it stopped being made? Hell to the no!

Hopefully, all the nice releases that are on the way for next gen (in particular the PS4) will rewrite the definition for what a good game is. The Order and Bloodborne look amazing, and you don't even have to mention No Man's Sky....game looks absurd. And screw Activision until they prove me wrong and hopefully they do with Destiny. Even Far Cry 4 is putting emphasis on the 2 player "offline" experience by offering you the game for essentially 30 bucks. Unfortunately this is for PS4 only, however, if you purchase it, you can let a friend have it for free. Any step that is even attempting in the smallest to get away from this always online, fake competitive fuckfest is good for me. Maybe it's because I grew up in a different time but ages 13-18 are killing the scene right now because they are always connected. Why should they expect anything different from the games that they play?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Read the op. I'm trying to tell people that the only way to stop this is to stop buying milked game series until the devs understand that they need to put quality over quantity
It looks awesome but...I'm not gonna be expecting much
This implies that you're going to buy it. When you can interpret something multiple ways, in the absence of inflection you need to be specific.