What's new

Freddy Krueger is Officially Hat Tier

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
His damage is ......pretty stupid lets face it, BUT - my main thing is if he can get this kind of damage with 1 meter he should be somewhat limited in his mix-up to balance that. Does he have a lot of strings with lows and mids that lead to his BnBs?

TrickyNick

Weather Man
His damage is ......pretty stupid lets face it, BUT - my main thing is if he can get this kind of damage with 1 meter he should be somewhat limited in his mix-up to balance that. Does he have a lot of strings with lows and mids that lead to his BnBs?
Yes he has a low that goes into EX Hell spike continued for a 50% combo as well as a overhead..

He is looking really good at the moment with current knowledge..only thing ive noticed he has no good anti-airs

Edit: he can combo off a air to air punch for about 30 or so but nothing to really do once hes getting jumped on. Has been my experience this far.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
His main strings hit high, but can hit crouching opponents. He has moves similar to scorpion for his low and his overhead. His hoverhead however can be made safe by his teleport. The low is similar to scorpion, you do b3 and start a combo, then you juggle and go from there. If you want to waste meter you can off any of these low or overhead starters and get pretty decent damage.

His main damage comes from his normal strings though. If you can get your opponent in the corner the low and overhead pokes become really deadly, over 50% with one meter starting with either one easily.

Justice

Noob
That's what Sonya is missing! Someone get this girl a Fez! STAT!

Freddy is looking mighty beastly so far I gotta admit. I will download him someday just cuz it's Freddy, but I doubt I'll use him regularly.

For the guys complaining about his damage, remember most scrubs won't get this kind of damage because it'll be all "OMG! Freddy! Teh koolz!" Most scrubs won't get anything higher than a chain kombo off because they just want to play and aren't into practicing like the professionals here.

And in a week when they get bored and go back to their CoD Ancient Warfare 56, we may not even see them at all. :grave:

His damage is very similar to sektor (but with corner damage too) sektor is balanced due to his lack of defense (no armored moves other than his x ray) as for freddy... Idk he has to have a weakness somewhere. If not? God help us all

hardwire

Noob
His damage is very similar to sektor (but with corner damage too) sektor is balanced due to his lack of defense (no armored moves other than his x ray) as for freddy... Idk he has to have a weakness somewhere. If not? God help us all
i dont know he is already being called the kung lau killer :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
TyrantRevolver said:
No reason to panic. Rain can do 54% combos with one bar too yet he is most likely a mid tier character.

What are the set ups for the combos? Does Freddy have strings that can be hit confirmed into these damaging combos? Do his strings build a lot of meter? What are his wake up attacks? Are they any good? How are the enhanced armor special move like? Can he zone? Can he overcome being zoned? These are just some of the questions you guys can try to answer in the lab.

There is more to "hat tier" than combos. In fact, Kung Lao being the best character in this game has nothing to do with combos. X-Ray combos aside, his combos are average.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Why does his ground blade stun for further damage..? Just seems wrong..

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Why does his ground blade stun for further damage..? Just seems wrong..
My initial thought when I ended a combo with it was its a reset which seems fair to spend meter to reset the character. But no just more damage lol

Maybe thats how they could potentially patch him?

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
No reason to panic. Rain can do 54% combos with one bar too yet he is most likely a mid tier character.

What are the set ups for the combos? Does Freddy have strings that can be hit confirmed into these damaging combos? Do his strings build a lot of meter? What are his wake up attacks? Are they any good? How are the enhanced armor special move like? Can he zone? Can he overcome being zoned? These are just some of the questions you guys can try to answer in the lab.

There is more to "hat tier" than combos. In fact, Kung Lao being the best character in this game has nothing to do with combos. X-Ray combos aside, his combos are average.
I agree, and truth be told Rain even with his damage is......no slob character. It takes a lot of skill to play him effectively since his overhead can be easily fuzzy guarded, blocked on reaction. Maybe freddy will be similar in that if his normals are slow he will be easily read and punished. Does he have a lot of negative edge like Rain for those already in that lab? (Its probably obvious that I haven't gotten to actually mess around with him yet.)

Also too expand, having a lot of lows and mid hitting strings does make a big difference. Or rather having low and mid hitting strings that are quick and safe or give advantage on block. Whether this will truly allow him to hang with the likes of Kung Lao remains to be seen. And as far I'm concerned the spin and dive kick are what make Kung Lao so ridiculous. The spin is literally the answer to damn near everything in this game.....I highly doubt kreuger will have something anywhere near that level.

The spin on wakeup is like.....Jesus doing a shoryuken at the ressurection. Its that good.

TyrantRave

タイラント・レイブ
I agree, and truth be told Rain even with his damage is......no slob character. It takes a lot of skill to play him effectively since his overhead can be easily fuzzy guarded, blocked on reaction. Maybe freddy will be similar in that if his normals are slow he will be easily read and punished. Does he have a lot of negative edge like Rain for those already in that lab? (Its probably obvious that I haven't gotten to actually mess around with him yet.)
Yea, his negative edge is similar to the other dlcs from what I can tell.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
TyrantRevolver said:
I peeked in another thread......at least someone seems to think he's a good zoner as well. We'll see.
We will, indeed.

I'll test all of his moves extensively with another human being and play some matches off-line. By the end of the night, I should have a good idea how good he really is and I'll share everything with the community. Certainly, combos alone won't make him top tier.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Haven't taken him into a match (Likely never will), but he looks pretty strong. Zoning is really, really good.

F+42.. can be hit confirmed into db1 into juggles. also, bf2 is fast and has almost no cool down. from full screen let the bf2 begin ha!!

i say let it play out, the issue with mk9 isnt balance its bugs and move functionality. forget balance, let them fix all the bugs, glitches, and functionality.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
The problem with comparing Freddy to Cyrax is that Cyrax has an EXTREMELY high learning curve. If you can actually do the 70% reset.. you probably deserve it.

Freddy on the other hand seems very easy to learn (considering there are 61% damage combos within the first 2 hours of release) and has very high output. He is built for the casual player.

However, what happens when you take the easiest/most damaging character and hand it to a professional player like REO or PL? They become fucking god-like. That is what everyone should fear when it comes to Freddy. Not the casual player online that picks him, but the professional player that mains him and makes you look silly at the tournament.

shura30

Shura
If you can actually do the 70% reset.. you probably deserve it.
nope,
cyrax reset is bs and should go

freddy's high damage output should have never landed on mk9

i was never a supporter of "no comp pack" but next time i'll turn on my x360 i'll hit delete from hd

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
So hang on a minute. This is the impression I have of him so far. He has lows and overheads that lead to big damage, especially in the corner, armour on one of his ex moves, a really strong zoning game and an uppercut with a hitbox that looks almost similar to Sub-Zero's second 2.... Isn't he also able to cancel that military stance thing he has into low and high options. I haven't any time with him yet, I've just seen him on stream and read what you guys have said about him...