What's new

FR IGAU Staff Blow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolwhip

Noob
It was never always like that. Hell, when I entered my first actual couple of SF4 locals, I didn't know shit about who I was playing. This brackets being posted for everyone to see is a new thing, actually.
OK, but just because something didn't used to be the way it is now, doesn't mean it's wrong. Shock said "you don't have the right to know who you're playing," and I still don't see why not? It's not like you're gaining an unfair advantage, since your opponents also know they're playing you. That way, players get to prepare for each other and the result would be (in theory) higher level of play. Just like most forms of competition/sports/etc... I really don't see what's wrong with that.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
As far as seeding goes, I think its stupid. Offline scenes should not be in the same pool for sure, but everything else should be up in the air. What makes good players good is their ability to win no matter who is placed in front of them. If you're scared of who you have to play, then you don't have much confidence to begin with. However, if seeding is a deal breaker for certain players then we need to establish a strong system for doing so.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
What else am I supposed to think if nobody says anything? This isn't the arcade where people can stay shy and sneak a quarter up on the screen (if somebody does this at my next major, I'm punching you lol), you have to say you want to play.

Even my 7 year old tells me she wants a turn if I am hogging the Xbox. Jesus... how hard is this for you guys? lol
If you aren't an introvert you really don't understand. I'll leave it at that.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Problem 1 -
Our original room was changed to a smaller one because FR was under the impression that anime was goimg to blow up.

Solution: We requested an alternative to staff and once Larry was involved we were switched to the capcom room.

Problem 2 -
Internet. The easiest way to explain this as usual there was a chance to have house internet, which WAS available in the tiny room. I have a verizon 4G jetpack now but did not attempt to add data to it until I was positive I needed it. One might ask why I hadn't added data to it before the tournament. If we had wired interent I would likely throw away $90 since I have little use for the jetpack outside of streaming in locations that don't have wired intent. At the time I realized this was necessary, I discovered that I cannot activate the device as advertised and Pig of the Hut assisted me.

Solution: After that he used his own jetpack again to help us out, however the connection was extremely slow and unstable on my stream rig. Pig was about to use his lap top to assist with the stream in combination with my equipment but after some ip conflict resolution (I believe), I managed to get a minimum connection quality which is what resulted in the steam everyone saw for MK.

Problem 3 - the xbox hot fix debacle. This was an issue that continued throughout the night and needed to be addressed multiple times. Because of this, we only had 2 or 3 systems at the start of a 126 player tournament. At one point the stream station was turned off and the issue was caused here, in addition my capture card freaked out and wouldn't accept HDMI.

Solution: Ask for the quickest way to verify all system hotfixes, isolate the real reason it was happening because players were giving multiple reasons as to why and whether or not you could fix it without signing on. We patched the wireless systems by cell phone access point, and waited for a temporary wired connection to patch all non wireless systems. This takes time. The problem was fixed over time and matches were run. The wired connection was shared from the capcom stream so we could not use it for anything but patching.

As for downtime due to stream issues, I imperatively insisted that pools continued to be run while I fixed the stream. I appreciate Devil May Spy taking command of the stream because had he not, many of the problems would have been left unresolved a players would be playing non hot fixed systems all night for example. There also comes a point where the stream must become secondary and the tournament needs to go on. DMS also wanted to run pools because he was official staff, not a random volunteer (ie FlipKev who also supplied more 4G for Injustice) but you can't stack the stream and run pools properly at the same time, I think he learned that. Whether he runs pools or the stream, he is helping out. At one point I insisted that later pools begin when I knew a previous pool was nearly done and setups were not being used properly. People don't look at the fact we were nearly 3 hours behind at one point and still got done just before midnight.

Problem 4 - the merging of the brackets. We were told this was done for one of two reasons. Either we didn't hit the 128 player cap for a 16 pool tournament, or due to the issue with the non hotfixed systems, they were condensed to speed up the tournament. I don't see how that would help.

Solution: I talked to Larry about the merging but that didn't happen until after many matches were run. Brackets were reseeded because the method of merging caused immediate conflicts, and this again, takes time. Brackets were run as seeding was completed. We eventually discovered that the merging was unauthorized by the room lead or Larry. Again, we had the official printed pools given to us by a trusted TO with merging instructions so we had no way to know this.

Understand that I do everything I can to help you guys, even when I'm just there to stream the event or supply equipment. ANYONE ragging on Frantastic or Darth Arma needs to get a grip. Those guys are there for you and work with what they are given while trying to improvise as much as possible. They get pulled away from duties for other staff related things and are allotted breaks. Usually it's during the pools they play in.

The PL incident is something I wish hadn't happened. That matter has been resolved privately.

I might have missed some stuff but the end result was a

FUCKING.HYPE.TOURNAMENT

and more people THANKED me then shit on me at the end of it so go shit in your hats. I'd love to see anyone deal with the avalanche this weekend presented and have the majority of people go home happy.

So for anyone who thinks they know what's going on, think again.
So the pool merging was unauthorized by larry yet carried out

So who was this individual that did something not authorized when in fact leaving it alone would have been perfectly fine

Pig Of The Hut

Pools should not be posted before events. Prereg should not overshadow at the door reg, as the timeframe for at the door should end hours before tournament start time. When all players are finalized, then and only then should pools be created. This is how things were done for years.

Dumping at the door legal registration players who might be top players into a death pool punishes the other players in that pool who preregged and steals a seed from a top player. If you dont make the cut off, you can't play.

You don't have a right to know exactly who you are playing in a pool days beforehand just so you may train for them and it's always subject to change, but when you are given a an earliest possible timeframe to be there and play (ie pool 4 starts at 2pm...or maybe 3), that is something you can have to stick with. Save that for a first to ten or money match.

This is a tournament, be better than everyone. Seeding, regionalizing and team separation are all a courtesy to the players which make more want to attend, or less not want to. Pools could be random all the time.
Evo can do it why can't all?

MLG does it why can't all?

No volunteers should be allowed to run pools or brackets . If you help out in any fashion u shouldn't be allowed to play because this opens up pandoras box of rigging and KN thinking this guy and that guy should be top seeded when he shouldn't be.

There's Zero point in pre registering if what u say is true for the future. Pre registration should be used as a marketing tool to encourage attendance and pools 1+2 should be all non pre registered players . Doesn't punish anyone else but those who registered at door either way two top players emerge from the 2 pools

Pig Of The Hut

You made 99% of your post responding to criticism like an adult and then end in third grade insults? You made the same mistake as Frantastic, @LEGI0N47 specifically said he didn't know what else was going on and you say "anyone who thinks they know what's going on" well what does that have to do with anything if @LEGI0N47 said he didn't know?

I'll just be honest, every time I've ever seen you respond to criticism it is like you think the person slapped you in the face. Read all posts you've made responding to criticism from tournaments and then go and read Vandy's after KIT. He talked about mistakes and what to do to improve them. You told people to shit in their hats. Don't be so sensitive and take it as an attack on you personally. Respond with your side, if something wasn't your fault tell them. But don't act like they're being an asshole for having complaints and airing them.

One last thing specifically to your response you just said "Again, we had the official printed pools given to us by a trusted TO with merging instructions so we had no way to know this." Why not just say who said to do this? @AK Pig Of The Hut was complaining about this secretive, don't say everything publicly mentality in this thread. The merging of the pools is something no one in this thread has defended yet no one that knows what happened will actually say who did that. Why?
I asked this question 10000000 times loudly and quietly and never got an answer just an absolute blank stare

haketh

Noob
From what I understand, he had his right two buttons on his stick programmed for up/forward and up/back so that he could do "tiger knee" motions more efficiently... the premiere C.Viper Marvel player, Marlin Pie, saw how he was playing C.Viper and contacted people there to tell them that how he is doing them is physically impossible and they investigated to find this out.
1. It wasn't a macro, it's a binding

2. He's had the stick for a year+ and got permission beforehand from multiple TOs

3. That shit is not physically do by hand, all Viper players worth a damn can do it by hand

That whole situation was top Player privilege at it's fucking worse, screwing over a player who earned his spot.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
just ask for donations. id gladly spend a couple bucks to have a good stream no matter what. if you Need 90 bucks next time for a "maybe"-Situation, im sure a simple thread on tym will solve the Problem. you guys do the stream and thats awesome, even though there are almost always major Problems. if we as community can help stopping the Problems we will gladly do. or at least i will but im 100% sure im by far not the only one.
There was no maybe. It was going to be streamed no matter what. I would have went to verizon and set it up if pig flipkev were not there. This issue with the device was fixable.

This ticket is closed.

You should read this

http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/hardware-button-bind-ruling-for-ufgt10/

it should probably also be front paged tbh
Glad you posted this. Seems like people were confused as to the difference between a keybind and a macro and this article states them nice and clearly. And from what I read it didn't sound like the guy with the extra key bindings had done anything wrong. But shortcuts with execution has been a hot topic with TYM for a long time. When hitbox's were first introduced there was heavy debate on whether or not they should be banned.

When it comes to keybinds I think the bind ruling by ufgt10 is perfect, I can't think of a more fair way to approach the subject outside of forcing everyone to use the same exact input device which would be a shame since the small amount of sponsorship attention that gets thrown towards the FGC is usually centralized around input devices like game pads and fight sticks.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Why not? It's part of tournament preparation.
The list of players is what you prepare for. Pools are there for no reason other than organization. Have you ever plaued in a 128 player bracket? I have. Be prepared for anything.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Glad you posted this. Seems like people were confused as to the difference between a keybind and a macro and this article states them nice and clearly. And from what I read it didn't sound like the guy with the extra key bindings had done anything wrong. But shortcuts with execution has been a hot topic with TYM for a long time. When hitbox's were first introduced there was heavy debate on whether or not they should be banned.

When it comes to keybinds I think the bind ruling by ufgt10 is perfect, I can't think of a more fair way to approach the subject outside of forcing everyone to use the same exact input device which would be a shame since the small amount of sponsorship attention that gets thrown towards the FGC is usually centralized around input devices like game pads and fight sticks.
agreed

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
A grip you say. Like the one that Arma had on a casual station for 3 hours. That's his break? So meanwhile every station gets mobbed except for the stream station for around 4+hours. I really felt like the players were being taken care of. Remember when I said that there are things "I just don't know." A staff member being pulled for another duty is something I can understand. But the others left behind did nothing but run 1 station. I apoligize if this seems harsh but I don't feel wrong saying something about what I witnessed and what transpired because of it.
You massively exaggerate and ignore or weren't aware that I pushed the pools along every time I could.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
@Shock can you address the question of who specifically decided to merge the pools? If you can't name a specific person then just give some address to that point and why you can't name them. Nothing will change for tournaments going forward if any criticism is met with either no response or hostility.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You made 99% of your post responding to criticism like an adult and then end in third grade insults? You made the same mistake as Frantastic, @LEGI0N47 specifically said he didn't know what else was going on and you say "anyone who thinks they know what's going on" well what does that have to do with anything if @LEGI0N47 said he didn't know?

I'll just be honest, every time I've ever seen you respond to criticism it is like you think the person slapped you in the face. Read all posts you've made responding to criticism from tournaments and then go and read Vandy's after KIT. He talked about mistakes and what to do to improve them. You told people to shit in their hats. Don't be so sensitive and take it as an attack on you personally. Respond with your side, if something wasn't your fault tell them. But don't act like they're being an asshole for having complaints and airing them.

One last thing specifically to your response you just said "Again, we had the official printed pools given to us by a trusted TO with merging instructions so we had no way to know this." Why not just say who said to do this? @AK Pig Of The Hut was complaining about this secretive, don't say everything publicly mentality in this thread. The merging of the pools is something no one in this thread has defended yet no one that knows what happened will actually say who did that. Why?
I'm SO sorry. I'll be sure to make sure unforeseeable issues with realtime solutions never happen again. If I can be 99% intelligent, my "insults" are to drive the point home. It is a slap in the face.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Shock can you address the question of who specifically decided to merge the pools? If you can't name a specific person then just give some address to that point and why you can't name them. Nothing will change for tournaments going forward if any criticism is met with either no response or hostility.
The TO was spoken to and the situation was resolved. I will not drop a name of someone on TYM so you can all form a mOb around him for making an Honest mistake.

Next.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
So the pool merging was unauthorized by larry yet carried out

So who was this individual that did something not authorized when in fact leaving it alone would have been perfectly fine
It was impossible to know larry wasnt involved due to the circumstances. The TO in charge hands the people running the brackets orders. What are they to think? No mob mentality here.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I'm SO sorry. I'll be sure to make sure unforeseeable issues with realtime solutions never happen again. If I can be 99% intelligent, my "insults" are to drive the point home. It is a slap in the face.
You're not driving your point home, you're being childish. You're a grown man, don't tell me you can't handle it without childish insults. Please do as I said before and read Vandy's posts after KIT. He said what he would work on for the future, he didn't make sarcastic comments about fixing things. That is what we should strive for not petty insults. No one is saying you can't have shit happen, we all know it can and does. That doesn't mean that if someone is unhappy they are just assholes that should keep it to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.