What's new

For you MK9 vets

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
@Dink
I had no idea vimeo existed. It's nice to create sth and have full freedom on whatever music you wish to use.

@Eddy
It's like you're in my head. I really hope MK11 keeps the engine moving forward but at least hold the great MK9 features, footsies, plus change that horrendous mkx animations.

For those who came into this thread and are looking for some MK9 action, here is a video that I created some time ago...

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
MKX is the best MK game to date overall, but MK9 indeed has a huge place in the importance of the series, as that was the MK game with which NRS have revived the series after Midway got shut down. MK9 was also the first fighting game I've played on a high level, before MKX was released. MK9 was the first game in the genre that also showed that this genre is and should be on a lot more then just the fighting alone, and it was the measuring stick for the genre. Of course MKX is now in this place, but you can't forget what MK9 brought at the time to both the Mortal Kombat series and fighting game genre as a whole.

Indeed one of the best MK game and one of the best fighting games of all time.

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I miss the atmosphere of that game. It had a charm and feel that was reminiscent of the original trilogy (Stages, characters, music, colors, etc.)

MKX didn't have the seem feel. Some of the stages were cool (The Pit, Kove, Dead Forest, Crossroads) but the rest were bleh, im not even sure the game had music, and the new protagonists were bleh too lol

Idk, I miss the MK with good music, diverse and unique stages, purple skies, moaning trees, shadow priests floating in the backgrounds, acid pits, cathedrals, and a more eastern influence etc.

Lol just realized this post is kind of off topic and ranty, my bad.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I miss the atmosphere of that game. It had a charm and feel that was reminiscent of the original trilogy (Stages, characters, music, colors, etc.)

MKX didn't have the seem feel. Some of the stages were cool (The Pit, Kove, Dead Forest, Crossroads) but the rest were bleh, im not even sure the game had music, and the new protagonists were bleh too lol

Idk, I miss the MK with good music, diverse and unique stages, purple skies, moaning trees, shadow priests floating in the backgrounds, acid pits, cathedrals, and a more eastern influence etc.

I've been sitting here trying put my feelings into words and you pretty much did it for me with your post. I didn't get the sense of nostalgia from MKX like I did with MK9. I feel like MKX took itself too seriously. I don't really care to see legacy characters sporting grey hair/having full grown offspring/talking about retirement, etc. It is still MK and I still enjoy it, but if they keep going in that direction they're either gonna have to remove legacy characters completely, or at least give them canes/walkers to hit each other with.

I also totally agree with you on the music and stages. Miss babalities as well hehe. I guess overall I feel like they're introducing too much new stuff, and not bringing back enough of the old. The roster is a good example. I'm all for introducing new characters, but not at the expense of so many legacy characters.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11

100% man.....like that's what everyone recognises about Mortal Kombat!?
In MKX people will recognise the characters.....but that's about it.
No babalities, friendships, animalities, "TOASTY", no iconic stages apart from The Pit (which was the best MKX stage anyways), there was no usual skimpy female clothing with super unproportioned bodies, super bland music, hardly any classic favourite characters (Noob, Rain, Sindel, Jade, Kabal, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung), like they didn't even have ANY of the robots until the 2nd DLC.

Fun game but it wasn't the classic MK that fans love

Blade4693

VIVIVI
MKX is the best MK game to date overall, but MK9 indeed has a huge place in the importance of the series, as that was the MK game with which NRS have revived the series after Midway got shut down. MK9 was also the first fighting game I've played on a high level, before MKX was released. MK9 was the first game in the genre that also showed that this genre is and should be on a lot more then just the fighting alone, and it was the measuring stick for the genre. Of course MKX is now in this place, but you can't forget what MK9 brought at the time to both the Mortal Kombat series and fighting game genre as a whole.

Indeed one of the best MK game and one of the best fighting games of all time.
It also more or less invented the current way story modes are done in fighting games. SFV and MVCI are both attempting to mimic what MK9 did back then, Ono even recently admitted this.
I've been sitting here trying put my feelings into words and you pretty much did it for me with your post. I didn't get the sense of nostalgia from MKX like I did with MK9. I feel like MKX took itself too seriously. I don't really care to see legacy characters sporting grey hair/having full grown offspring/talking about retirement, etc. It is still MK and I still enjoy it, but if they keep going in that direction they're either gonna have to remove legacy characters completely, or at least give them canes/walkers to hit each other with.

I also totally agree with you on the music and stages. Miss babalities as well hehe. I guess overall I feel like they're introducing too much new stuff, and not bringing back enough of the old. The roster is a good example. I'm all for introducing new characters, but not at the expense of so many legacy characters.
Yeah it just has a different feel to it. Like you said it is still MK, but it is definitely missing a feel that originally caused to me fall in love with the series as a kid. I think my biggest gripe is the visuals. Many of the characters look great (some bland) but I felt like most of the stages are bland and forgettable.

100% man.....like that's what everyone recognises about Mortal Kombat!?
In MKX people will recognise the characters.....but that's about it.
No babalities, friendships, animalities, "TOASTY", no iconic stages apart from The Pit (which was the best MKX stage anyways), there was no usual skimpy female clothing with super unproportioned bodies, super bland music, hardly any classic favourite characters (Noob, Rain, Sindel, Jade, Kabal, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung), like they didn't even have ANY of the robots until the 2nd DLC.

Fun game but it wasn't the classic MK that fans love
Pretty much. Maybe they want to take it in a more serious direction but I always though the 80s B movie Big Trouble In Little China/Bloodsport vibes were a big part of what made MK MK lol

Roy Arkon

It also more or less invented the current way story modes are done in fighting games. SFV and MVCI are both attempting to mimic what MK9 did back then, Ono even recently admitted this.
Actually that route of story modes started with MK Vs. DC, as that was the first episodic story mode that Ed Boon and his team has done for an MK game. The only difference is that MK9 was more straight forward while MK Vs. DC was splited into 2 views: The view of the MK Universe and the one of the DC Universe. The MK9 story mode however is indeed the more memorable one for obvious reasons (not to say that MK Vs. DC story was not good at all), so it does make sense that companies would try to mimic MK9's story way of story mode. Although with that being said, IJ1, MKX and IJ2 also used the same formula but with unique additions to each of them, so going too straight forward now is not necessarily easy for a fighting game story to be successful now.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Kano wasn't even in the game lol.

MK9 was fun, but the balance was indeed terrible, the top cast over dominated the lower ones it was hella hilarious.
My feel like maybe it was because they were starting, but i do enjoy and hope they bring back some mechanics that were in that game, like the blockstring Jail system, it might not even need to be from all strings, but if a character could have 2 strings that would jail a character into standing or crouching it would make things interesting.

The plus frames mechanic on stances too, moves would have different frame data on standing or crouching opponents on hit, specially the pokes like d1, d3 and d4, it helped for diverse strategies while approaching

I also Enjoyed the poking game more, while d1 where the fastest moves in the game, they were hella unsafe if blocked, and the right characters could punish them, so it was more a tool to reverse pressure rather than starting one. Sadly not everyone had a 9f mid to punish it like Kabal and Johnny Cage.

I know NRS made pokes low profiling now and safe either way, i really don't like this, now they're a spamable fest which was way worse than in MK9, i remember you would want to poke with d3 more in MK9 even to get a crouching hit where your hit advantage would usually be bigger netting you a reverse pressure.

So for a Future MK, i expect them to work on a more mature way of something in between, it would make the pressure and approach game more diverse rather than trying to poke your way out of everything for example.

D1 can remind the fastest normals in the game and be plus enough on hit to reverse pressure but there is no way they should low profile highs and be uber safe minus enough to collide with someone trying to reverse pressure on read with a string that usually starts with a high.

D3 can remind a low profiling tool, but it should be more like mk9, uber safe on block at least one frame less on recovery block than the fastest startup normal in the game, and on counter hit they should be a bit more plus than regular hit

I would say the same for D4s.

There was a tech guide for Skarlet in MK9 i did back then that the video started by explaining how the poking mechanic worked, it was really diverse.

Today these pokes are so uber plus on hit that it just a matter of getting hit by one of them to get screwed, i liked it more when on crouch or standing depending if you're hitting them d4 for more plus frames on standing but slower, and d3 more plus frames on crouching but quicker.
I mean, if you can't poke out against a character like Johnny Cage, what are you supposed to do? Honestly I think pokes being significantly negative was one of the game's biggest flaws, as it allowed characters with considerable pressure to dominate the risk/reward against other members of the cast.

In fact I think pokes now are actually what help balance these games and make more characters viable. It means that everyone has at least one tool you have to respect in pressure. Which means, as we saw at CEO, even if your character's pressure is bananas like Batman, you still can't be careless against someone like Scarecrow somewhat up close due to his d1 and d1~special.

I think this actually helped our games a lot given how offense-heavy NRS' games tend to be.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Game was busted but still waaaay better than injustice 1 or 2. These games are total hype vacuums

Hope they go back to mk9 mechanics, the return of footsies.

Mkx run button just made things too quick and injustice is boring with horrible neutral/footsies and mindless zoning.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Game was busted but still waaaay better than injustice 1 or 2.

Hope they go back to mk9 mechanics, the return of footsies.

Mkx run button just made things too quick and injustice is boring with horrible neutral/footsies and mindless zoning.
Saying Injustice 2 isn't footsies-based is absolutely silly. This is repeating a talking point made by people who don't know the game.

What matches in any important Top 8 were won by zoning? Who is winning events with Dr. Fate, Deadshot, Green Arrow or even getting close? Who is like "Bro, if you want to do well in INJ2, you need to pick up a zoner"?

Scarecrow literally can't zone, and just won a major. Haha

'Bring footsies back' is mainly something scrubs are saying who are bad at footsies/neutral game to begin with.

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Actually that route of story modes started with MK Vs. DC, as that was the first episodic story mode that Ed Boon and his team has done for an MK game. The only difference is that MK9 was more straight forward while MK Vs. DC was splited into 2 views: The view of the MK Universe and the one of the DC Universe. The MK9 story mode however is indeed the more memorable one for obvious reasons (not to say that MK Vs. DC story was not good at all), so it does make sense that companies would try to mimic MK9's story way of story mode. Although with that being said, IJ1, MKX and IJ2 also used the same formula but with unique additions to each of them, so going too straight forward now is not necessarily easy for a fighting game story to be successful now.
Ah this is correct. I forget about that game sometimes lol

Roy Arkon

I've been sitting here trying put my feelings into words and you pretty much did it for me with your post. I didn't get the sense of nostalgia from MKX like I did with MK9. I feel like MKX took itself too seriously..
Of course you won't feel any sense of nostalgia from MKX like in MK9, because MKX wasn't about nostalgia, MK9 was. MKX was about bringing the next generation of MK characters and crossing it with the classic cast of characters. Not every game is gonna be that close the classic ones of MK1-MKT, and it's not a bad thing by any means. As for the classic characters, they can always bring them back, and I really don't think they would have an issue fighting with each other. I was kinda shocked to see Sonya still looking good enough to fight and let alone to actually fight. Not to mention that their are other classic characters that weren't in MKX that can also come back like Rain, Noob Saibot, and also the reverent characters like Nightwolf and Kabal (if Jax can come back from the dead, so them as well). The Stages were also awesome looking with some awesome music, and the Brutalities and secret Brutalities have managed to bring the old feeling of secrets in MK games like in the classic ones, so the the old stuff was still there in a big time. I myself found out more info about the Brutalities only recently, like how there is a special version of Predator's Hunter Brutality that is specific against Alien.

MKX was the right combination of both old and new.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
My perfect game would be mk11 having:
Mk9 core fighting engine but add
1 bar block breakers
Faster walk speeds
Backdashes but make them weaker

Implement mkx variation system

Implement injustice gear system but cosmetic only

Wigy

There it is...
Saying Injustice 2 isn't footsies-based is absolutely silly. This is repeating a talking point made by people who don't know the game.

What matches in any important Top 8 were won by zoning? Who is winning events with Dr. Fate, Deadshot, Green Arrow or even getting close? Who is like "Bro, if you want to do well in INJ2, you need to pick up a zoner"?

Scarecrow literally can't zone, and just won a major. Haha

'Bring footsies back' is mainly something scrubs are saying who are bad at footsies/neutral game to begin with.
I watch high level matches, this isnt based on just my play.

Shits just boring to watch and its a total bill its anywhere near as footsie oriented at mk9, even with its broken-ness.

Then you have characters with strong neutral which is totally reliant on a retarded tool like batmans j2, catwomans j2 etc. The movement is slow, the

Basically you claw your way in against zoning that you basically just gotta hold then abuse whatever stupid janky moves you have once your in, into just horrible stupid ass oki.

Pokes have no range, jump ins are busted, zoning is so much easier than rush down, movement is slow, maps are huge, oki is horrendous.

So many people feel this way, but i mean people are always guna play it cause its the newest game.

Nobody ever talks about injustice hype matches, people still talk about tyrant and cd jr.

I mean we can agree to disagree. But for a new game theres been absolutely 0 hype on this site compared to mkx mk9 and even injustice 1

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
Def one of my favorite fighting games. Those salty about the game probably just weren't good at it. This game had more depth than any new nrs game. I could play it all day.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I watch high level matches, this isnt based on just my play.

Shits just boring to watch and its a total bill its anywhere near as footsie oriented at mk9, even with its broken-ness.

Then you have characters with strong neutral which is totally reliant on a (soap bar in my mouth) tool like batmans j2, catwomans j2 etc. The movement is slow, the

Basically you claw your way in against zoning that you basically just gotta hold then abuse whatever stupid janky moves you have once your in, into just horrible stupid ass oki.

Pokes have no range, jump ins are busted, zoning is so much easier than rush down, movement is slow, maps are huge, oki is horrendous.

So many people feel this way, but i mean people are always guna play it cause its the newest game.

Nobody ever talks about injustice hype matches, people still talk about tyrant and cd jr.

I mean we can agree to disagree. But for a new game theres been absolutely 0 hype on this site compared to mkx mk9 and even injustice 1
You're saying you're basing this on high level play, so I ask again: where are these Top 8's where people are being dominated by zoning over and over? Give me specific examples. None of this blanket rumor-mongering about the game.

What is wrong with the range on pokes? Some of these d1's reach into near footsie range. You are literally just making things up to support your fabricated narrative about the game.

'Oki is horrendous' -- have no idea what this means. The oki in this game is actually very balanced -- probably the most balanced it's ever been.

And no one is talking about Whiteboi winning CEO or Sonic beating King with Joker? Right. This is pretty delusional, lol

Last edited: