What's new

For you MK9 vets

just because mk9 is an older game now, it doesnt mean newer nrs games are better.
look, street fighter third strike is by far the better fighting game as sf5.
that is not just my opinion.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I mean, if you can't poke out against a character like Johnny Cage, what are you supposed to do? Honestly I think pokes being significantly negative was one of the game's biggest flaws, as it allowed characters with considerable pressure to dominate the risk/reward against other members of the cast.

In fact I think pokes now are actually what help balance these games and make more characters viable. It means that everyone has at least one tool you have to respect in pressure. Which means, as we saw at CEO, even if your character's pressure is bananas like Batman, you still can't be careless against someone like Scarecrow somewhat up close due to his d1 and d1~special.

I think this actually helped our games a lot given how offense-heavy NRS' games tend to be.
The only reason poking was that weak against those characters in MK9 it was because characters with a 9f mid where a rare gem but they were a thing, so it was punishable by those for sure, if one thing that game should never have is characters punishing d1, that was definitely bad, if i recall correctly characters who could do it besides Johnny and Kabal, i remember Skarlet since her f4 was 13 frames, but that was a just frame block punishing and took lots of skill, liu kang i guess he had a 10f low or something, but yeah.

I don't want them to be combo punishable either, they just shouldn't low profile the fastest highs that's all, and in many cases even on MKX, you could d1 twice against some characters mids after they block the first one, hat was hella dumb.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
It's pretty awful. I've tried it a few times. PS Now offline feels like bad online with the delay. And MK9 had bad netcode anyway.

Put those together and try online multiplayer and it will give you a brain tumor.
MK9's netcode alone drove me nuts. Didn't realize there would be a lot of added latency from the PS Now service. Guess it makes sense, it's streaming. Thanks for the heads up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The only reason poking was that weak against those characters in MK9 it was because characters with a 9f mid where a rare gem but they were a thing, so it was punishable by those for sure, if one thing that game should never have is characters punishing d1, that was definitely bad, if i recall correctly characters who could do it besides Johnny and Kabal, i remember Skarlet since her f4 was 13 frames, but that was a just frame block punishing and took lots of skill, liu kang i guess he had a 10f low or something, but yeah.

I don't want them to be combo punishable either, they just shouldn't low profile the fastest highs that's all, and in many cases even on MKX, you could d1 twice against some characters mids after they block the first one, hat was hella dumb.
Yeah, it's not so much the punishing (not a lot of players were honest-to-god punishing them anyway) -- but I don't think your poke should be so negative on block that you have to sit there and hold a 14-frame move afterward, lol. I feel like things are in a good place where it's generally your turn afterward, but you're not completely handicapped against a pressure character by having a poke blocked.

Wigy

There it is...
You're saying you're basing this on high level play, so I ask again: where are these Top 8's where people are being dominated by zoning over and over? Give me specific examples. None of this blanket rumor-mongering about the game.

What is wrong with the range on pokes? Some of these d1's reach into near footsie range. You are literally just making things up to support your fabricated narrative about the game.

'Oki is horrendous' -- have no idea what this means. The oki in this game is actually very balanced -- probably the most balanced it's ever been.

And no one is talking about Whiteboi winning CEO or Sonic beating King with Joker? Right. This is borderline delusional, lol
Im not saying its overpowered im saying its easier than getting in and starting your own game, unless you're catwoman or something. Also its sooo boring to watch and play.

Theres guna be some blowups here or there but its nowhere near mk9 or even mkx. I go on this site a few times a day and its just been so dull since inj2 release; just tier lists and buff/nerf requests, thats about it.

Theres been polls on this site about which is the best game and injustice 1 came last in dead last.

I honestly dont think this game will last.

Mk9 had a long list of problems but the core mechanics were just so much better.

We can Agree to disagree but look at the evo numbers, mkx had like 1100 the first year and around 700-800 the second.

Injustice 2 has 800 in its first year

Thats a huge ass drop

Last edited:

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
sorry, i meant offline games. :)
you can play it online too, but its not today standard
Yeah that's gonna be hard. Hehe don't have a PS3. Have a 360 laying around somewhere but to hell with that awful d-pad. Apparently the Now service adds a lot of latency on its own. Guess I could use my cronus max or something on the 360.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah, it's not so much the punishing (not a lot of players were honest-to-god punishing them anyway) -- but I don't think your poke should be so negative on block that you have to sit there and hold a 14-frame move afterward, lol. I feel like things are in a good place where it's generally your turn afterward, but you're not completely handicapped against a pressure character by having a poke blocked.
14 is indeed too long, that is why i said before "i expect a mix between old and new" they don't need to be super safe low profiling or super unsafe non low profiling.

And the advantage before had much depth too, on crouch d3 being more plus than standing, and d4 being more plus on standing than crouching, it expanded the frame advantage beyond just poke into pressure or mixup.

Truth is, we have maybe 2 more years ahead of us, when the time comes, we will definitely bring those up, i think we should save it for later and right now we should just enjoy I2.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im not saying its overpowered im saying its easier than getting in and starting your own game, unless you're catwoman or something. Also its sooo boring to watch and play.

Theres guna be some blowups here or there but its nowhere near mk9 or even mkx. I go on this site a few times a day and its just been so dull since inj2 release; just tier lists and buff/nerf requests, thats about it.

Theres been polls on this site about which is the best game and injustice 1 came last in dead last.

I honestly dont think this game will last.

Mk9 had a long list of problems but the core mechanics were just so much better.

We can Agree to disagree but look at the evo numbers, mkx had like 1100 the first year and around 700-800 the second.

Injustice 2 has 800 in its first year

Thats a huge ass drop
The first sentence makes me think you forgot Kabal or Kenshi. They were better zoners than those in INJ 2 by a long shot. Also it is much harder to zone in this game than MK9 because one correct read with MB roll gets you in, whereas in MK9 you actually had to crouch walk in.

The site is dull because people don't like the site and stick to twitter and discord. It has nothing to do with IJ2.

The EVO numbers have more to do with EVO as a whole being on the decline than INJ itself.

People said MK9, MKX, and Injustice 1 were bad and would never last too. Never happened. Inj 2 is just as if not more footsie based then MK9 was. Whether it was better is an entirely different argument.

Wigy

There it is...
The first sentence makes me think you forgot Kabal or Kenshi. They were better zoners than those in INJ 2 by a long shot. Also it is much harder to zone in this game than MK9 because one correct read with MB roll gets you in, whereas in MK9 you actually had to crouch walk in.

The site is dull because people don't like the site and stick to twitter and discord. It has nothing to do with IJ2.

The EVO numbers have more to do with EVO as a whole being on the decline than INJ itself.

People said MK9, MKX, and Injustice 1 were bad and would never last too. Never happened. Inj 2 is just as if not more footsie based then MK9 was. Whether it was better is an entirely different argument.
The kenshi kabal thing was more a balance issue than a mechanics one.

Everything else i guess we can agree to disagree.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I hope you can dash-cancel in MK11. It was one of the most defining aspects of MK9, and one of my favourites.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I hope you can dash-cancel in MK11. It was one of the most defining aspects of MK9, and one of my favourites.
The 3d MK's and MK9 had this movement and it's a big reason they're so comfortable to play for me.

I have a pessimistic feeling that since they're "ugly", they wont come back. I don't quite see how you pretty them up for people that watch video games yet keep that functional aspect we like....

...Unless you turn it into a run button, which fucking sucks.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
The kenshi kabal thing was more a balance issue than a mechanics one
That's where these conversations seem to turn when people talk about liking MK9. It's not like we want MK11 to have identical move-lists and frame data to MK9.

It's more the idea of starting the MK9-type core fundamentals. Then applying MKX-caliber polish and the developers' continued experience towards balance.

That game (hopefully MK11) is more appealing than MKX.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
That's where these conversations seem to turn when people talk about liking MK9. It's not like we want MK11 to have identical move-lists and frame data to MK9.

It's more the idea of starting the MK9-type core fundamentals. Then applying MKX-caliber polish and the developers' continued experience towards balance.

That game (hopefully MK11) is more appealing than MKX.
To be fair the same could be applied to injustice. Most zoners in the game aren't that much of an issue, it's just the top tiers.

I agree with using MK9 as more of a bassline than MKX but that isn't going to happen. They always reinvent the wheel when it comes to MK. Who knows what the next one will be like.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
I also miss the fun factor and charm of MK9 vs the grim and gritty drab color palette and tone of MKX but anyone who wants to return to "you can literally see her pubic bone" female character designs needs professional help lmao
I personally love the aesthetic of MKX. If we had a game with the aesthetic of MKX and the mechanics of MK9, that would be amazing to me. I like the dark and grittiness. :)

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I personally love the aesthetic of MKX. If we had a game with the aesthetic of MKX and the mechanics of MK9, that would be amazing to me. I like the dark and grittiness. :)
I just like some color, man. Injustice 2 is also very dark but at least there are brighter shaders.