What's new

For Honor

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
So who are the really solid 1v1 characters right now? I reinstalled the game, but not sure if I intend to actually play it or not.

Really liked Nobu and Oro and Warden.. Aramusha and the Shinobi look dope for the new characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
So who are the really solid 1v1 characters right now? I reinstalled the game, but not sure if I intend to actually play it or not.

Really liked Nobu and Oro and Warden.. Aramusha and the Shinobi look dope for the new characters.
If you're fast with your fingers and are a fighting game guy, Gladiator is probably the best character to go with. Let me explain...

There are stand and bang characters. The best stand and bang character is probably Centurion. His sidestep is awful and he has no sidestepping moves, but he can literally one touch an out of stamina opponent.

There are juke and jive characters. The best juke and jive character is Shaman. She is all about getting whiffs like all the assassins, but she is the only one that has range, mixups, damage, plus unblockables. Add in that its easy to land bleed, and she pretty much gets free damage and health back after landing it, and you have the best assassin.

Gladiator is the only character with a great sidestep and sidestepping moves to go along with the ability to stand and bang as well due to his unblockables, good damage, and insane mixups. He's hard to use because his attacks are linear, but his feints are so nasty that as long as you have fast fingers and have practiced his mixups, not many opponents will have anything for you.

Here's some news on dedicated servers...

EntropicByDesign

I usually lean towards Assassin characters, so maybe Shaman, but she seems to be then undisputed strongest character in the game right now based on about 10 different sources I've doing ranging from tier lists to videos by pros and discord opinions and general talk from the competitive community. Speaking from 1-2v standpoint. I have no idea how she stacks up outside that and don't care... But the gist of it is she's so damn good there is almost no way she isn't going to be nerfed... And a lot of the nerfs I've seen have killed characters, though not all.. so it makes me nervous. I don't like playing broken characters as a rule. Though PK is still really good from what I hear.

I'll look at Gladiator some though and check him out. Appreciate the info @GAV

Reactions: GAV

GAV

@EntropicByDesign
Shaman's defense is best when revolving around your opponent with side dashes and that leaves you prone to a 2nd opponent. You can manage, but its certainly not ideal in a 1v2. Shaman is great at 1v1 though.

GAV

Just to add, Centurion is the best stand and bang character because his heavies can be quick, slow, or any speed in between - making parrying them difficult and risky. Also, like Shaman, he can soft feint them into GBs. Plus, his unblockable kick chains into lights which chain into GBs. Landing a kick guarantees a light which guarantees a GB which can only be counter guard broken - and can't be avoided or countered by the opponent on the receiving end, making it completely safe after landing the kick. The kick and light are the only true combo, but the GB is safe.

EntropicByDesign

Meh , the game is still the same beautiful disaster it always was. If devs that have some understanding of how to balance their own game ever take over, I'll be back,but based on all the info I could dig up, all the other BS aside, the balance is still wigged the fuck out and I have zero faith in the direction they want to go when balancing.. so I see no future for myself in FH - but I do GENUINELY hope to see the game someday really flourish. It has so much potential.

GAV

Meh , the game is still the same beautiful disaster it always was. If devs that have some understanding of how to balance their own game ever take over, I'll be back,but based on all the info I could dig up, all the other BS aside, the balance is still wigged the fuck out and I have zero faith in the direction they want to go when balancing.. so I see no future for myself in FH - but I do GENUINELY hope to see the game someday really flourish. It has so much potential.
Since I pretty much play Dominion, I see it as balanced. Its a scrum, so individual ingenuity, team synergy, and quick adjustments take precedence over one on one tactics. The mode focuses on aspects non existant in other fighters. To me, its a fresh new take - but if I wasn't looking for such things, I might have trouble repositioning my focus as well.

GAV

@EntropicByDesign

When I solo Dominion, its usually me being the best player in the game running around doing work. When I team up with other players, I often end up being one of the weaker members if my team. These guys play alot of duels and brawls, so their one on one tactics are on point. It falls to me to keep them out of unavoidable damage situations. If I try to play point, it doesn't work. Not only are they better at it than me, but then we have everyone doing their own thing. My role is to be aware of what is going on around the map and to do what is necessary to keep everyone in their wheelhouse. The game changes for me as my opponents and teammates change. Some games are unwinnable; others are unlosable (I know its not a word), so my role remains to make as much of a difference as possible.

Playing 95 percent Dominion, there are games where we run 2v2s, games where we focus on one area at a time (3 and 4 man gank squads), and games where everyone is doing their own thing, so I need to be where the other team has numbers. There are also games where my teammates are surviving skirmishers, so I need to hold a choke point to keep the score in our favor. There are even games where my teammates stay put, so I need to be a skimishing survivor. Mixups are still important, but you really have to pick your spots with them. Showing off your moves is only the focus in very short bursts. My strength is reactions, map awareness, and adjustments. My skills evolved that way because Dom is the mode I play. I can lose every exchange to a single opponent and still have a greater positive impact on the game for my team than he has for his.

I'm not trying to sell the game. I'm just trying to show you how I see it since I never left.

Last edited:

GAV

The dedicated servers rolled out in the form of an open beta test and I have to say, it is very difficult to go back to the game without them in it. Night and day is the only way I can think to describe it.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
The dedicated servers rolled out in the form of an open beta test and I have to say, it is very difficult to go back to the game without them in it. Night and day is the only way I can think to describe it.
There was a test for dedicated servers for the game?

Edit - why did I only read the most recent comment

Cursa

the 'exploits' in this game were literally the only reason to get hit by certain characters. this game is just a party game now has no place in 1v1s.
Some were legit exploits, unlock tech and flickers are (were? Idk haven't played the game in ages) dumb and should not be in the game. If it is impossible to open people up without them, then they should have been given other tools, or the game state should have been changed to allow for their current tools to work.

Some were legit exploits, unlock tech and flickers are (were? Idk haven't played the game in ages) dumb and should not be in the game. If it is impossible to open people up without them, then they should have been given other tools, or the game state should have been changed to allow for their current tools to work.
it is impossible for some characters so those 'exploits' were the only reason to even play the game. once they took them out the characters were screwed and because the devs are too incompetent to realize theres no real way to open anyone up they never gave the characters any options. the game is literally only playable with a select group of characters that are wayyyyy better than the others because they are actually usuable and can actually inflict damage on the opponent. 1v1 is absolutely dead in this game and the devs killed it tbh.

Cursa

it is impossible for some characters so those 'exploits' were the only reason to even play the game. once they took them out the characters were screwed and because the devs are too incompetent to realize theres no real way to open anyone up they never gave the characters any options. the game is literally only playable with a select group of characters that are wayyyyy better than the others because they are actually usuable and can actually inflict damage on the opponent. 1v1 is absolutely dead in this game and the devs killed it tbh.
Yeah, I'm saying those characters need to be given new options with the exploits removed. Unlock tech and flickers were not intended designs. I'm not saying that "Yeah this game is now fair and balanced". I get that some characters were only good because of flickers and other tech, but if it got removed they need something new.

Yeah, I'm saying those characters need to be given new options with the exploits removed. Unlock tech and flickers were not intended designs. I'm not saying that "Yeah this game is now fair and balanced". I get that some characters were only good because of flickers and other tech, but if it got removed they need something new.
lol try telling the devs that and for that matter the community that. both are legit aids tbh i jumped off that ship once i realized that nobushi would never be made viable and they just kept coming out with more and more dlc characters while having literally unplayable characters still left.

devs always thought that the win numbers meant shit and the community was legit aids with most pretending that consoles were significantly different and shit wasnt reactable and then the people on pc pretending some stuff was reactable when some things were literally impossible to react to.

Last edited:

Cursa

lol try telling the devs that and for that matter the community that. both are legit aids tbh i jumped off that ship once i realized that nobushi would never be made viable and they just kept coming out with more and more dlc characters while having literally unplayable characters still left.
Oh yeah I'm not trying to justify the debs actions. The game is fucked for the opposite reason it was before it sounds. It feels more like the game design itself makes it far to difficult to open people up, but then characters who are able to consistently open people up are broken? Idk.

I liked counter guard break back in the beta. It was challenging but not impossible, and was a good option to open people up with if you staggered it correctly. Feinting heavies, punishing parry attempts, and good footsies feel like what this game should revolve more around. When I last played it it was just a cluster of unblockable 50/50s and unreactable flickers.