What's new

For Honor

Aramonde

Noob
So based on what I remember, your stamina is used from attacking, blocking, dodging and running/rolling. When your stamina bar is empty, the screen goes black and white until it refills.
Attacking only drains stamina. If your stamina runs out though you can't run or roll until it refills. Character specific abilities drain stamina like the Conqueror's special defensive mode that blocks all attacks by just pressing back.

looks like a next gen dynasty warriors
Only 4v4 mode looks like that. Have you watched any 1v1?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Totally forgot the closed alpha was basically only for the weekend. I would have played it a lot more had I realized that. But, here's my review.

For Honor is an action RPG fighting hack and slash game. It's similar to Dark Souls, a fighting game, a little bit of Dynasty Warriors, and probably a bunch of others games in which I haven't played.

The combat system is pretty interesting. You have two basic attacks, a light and heavy attack. As you would expect, the light attack does less damage but is quicker, and the heavy attack does more damage but is slower. You have a health bar and stamina bar. Now I didn't test things as much as I would want to, because as I said, I forgot the alpha ended today. So based on what I remember, your stamina is used from attacking, blocking, dodging and running/rolling. When your stamina bar is empty, the screen goes black and white until it refills. It refills fairly quickly if you just back off from the opponent.

There's 3 stances, left, right, and overhead. In all three stances, you can see both you and your opponents stances by a white visual indicator (you can also see them in the stance animation). When the opponent comes in for an attack, the white indicator turns red. To block an incoming attack, your stance simply has to match the enemies.

There's also a guard break. This is performed by pressing towards and X on XB1. After you successfully break their guard, you can throw them or perform a combo. Throwing is good in duels to throw them off ledges and get an instant victory. A throw also knocks them down and you can hit them on wake up but I think they can block on wake up, not sure.

There's a revenge mode that is built like a super meter. Not entirely sure what it does but I think it gives you more health and unlimited stamina. Again, not really sure at all honestly.

There's also an RPG aspect where you get loot after battles, and can purchase loot bags with in game currency. The loot is different sets of armor, weapons and weapon parts. All which affect the stats of your character.

I could say more but I'm at work. Overall, I'll probably be gettin this game when it comes out next year.
From what I read and seen, Revenge boosts atk, def and activation pushes everyone back. And I also saw that unlike SoulsBorne mechanics, there are dedicated combos you can do.

Are there Counter-Hit mechanics like in Souls?

Aramonde

Noob
From what I read and seen, Revenge boosts atk, def and activation pushes everyone back. And I also saw that unlike SoulsBorne mechanics, there are dedicated combos you can do.

Are there Counter-Hit mechanics like in Souls?
Revenge mode also gives unlimited stamina.

Everyone can parry and dodge for counter hits. Orochi's specialty is counter attacks.

Jason Pls

Certified free as fuck
Was the alpha really only out for the weekend? I saw this thread like 2 minutes ago and was so hype.... I've been trying to follow For Honor since it was announced, but it seems like not many people are paying attention.

Kinda bummed it it really was only for a couple days :(

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Revenge mode also gives unlimited stamina.

Everyone can parry and dodge for counter hits. Orochi's specialty is counter attacks.
By Counter-Hit I meant like stuffing the opponent's attack on start-up frames with your attack for extra damage and/or other benefits like in most Japanese Fighting Games and in SoulsBorne games.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
How is the gameplay depth limited. The fighting system seems really deep to me.
Seems fairly basic to me. You have 3 directions and you try to match your opponent's direction to defend, and a light and heavy attack to choose from.

I mean I know it's not an arcade fighter, but if we compare it to a game like MKX the depth isn't even close. Strikes me as one of those games that will start strong and then get boring after the first month because you feel like you're just doing the same thing all the time.

I don't think it'll be a bad game. Just average--if Ubisoft doesn't pull too much fuckery like they tend to.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Seems fairly basic to me. You have 3 directions and you try to match your opponent's direction to defend, and a light and heavy attack to choose from.

I mean I know it's not an arcade fighter, but if we compare it to a game like MKX the depth isn't even close. Strikes me as one of those games that will start strong and then get boring after the first month because you feel like you're just doing the same thing all the time.

I don't think it'll be a bad game. Just average--if Ubisoft doesn't pull too much fuckery like they tend to.
Don't mistake the few number of tools as shallow depth. Limited tools can also mean that the yomi levels develop quickly and you'll find yourself getting 10-0'd by an experienced player.

Aramonde

Noob
By Counter-Hit I meant like stuffing the opponent's attack on start-up frames with your attack for extra damage and/or other benefits like in most Japanese Fighting Games and in SoulsBorne games.
Yeah you can do that. Most of the time it will come from using a light attack to stuff their heavy.

There's also guard breaks, counter guard breaks, unblockables, parries, dodges and spacing. Imo this is a fighting game just presented differently.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Yeah you can do that. Most of the time it will come from using a light attack to stuff their heavy.
I know. But my question was were there any benefits? ie. allow for CH-specific combos, does more damage, drain their stamina, etc.

Anyway I already know the answer after looking it up and there aren't any. Would have been nice if they had it and moves with armor as well but that just may be bringing it too close to Soulsborne games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Anyone in the closed beta this time? It's much better than the Alpha. This game is gonna take over my life once it hits.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Just played the beta yesterday for the first time, gotta say the game is really fun. A lot to learn I feel, it'll take some getting used to imo before you get into the swing of things but despite that its great!

Temetias

"MKX kid"
Yup, this game has potential to even reach esports levels. The combat mechanics are complex but still simple enough to promote mindgames and reads. Also the gamemodes seem fun and Wellington designed. I just hope they're not going to take the easy way out and just try to milk money with p2w micro-transactions which would kill the potential for any competitive scene imo.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Holy crap what a learning curve. I played it yesterday and AI WAS BODYING ME. Like for real, I'm ass at this game right now but damn is it cool. Been playing Raider, I have a cool skull helmet. He's definitely a more defensive"wait for your opening" sort of character since his recovery on block isn't all that good so you can't be too relentless with your strikes (at least that's what I've noticed, maybe I'm just bad tho lol.)

This games sick I love it. I honestly would classify it a fighting game because it has all the fighting game mechanics except for like jump ins. But overall this game is amazing and has a huge skill gap

Last edited:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
So, I was in the closed alpha that was streamed by some like Maximilian and currently in the closed beta that is going on.

I played the closed alpha a lot. I have some concerns for the game, but it has my interest.

The main problems that I had with the combat:
- The movement is similar to Uncharted style, where the animation values fluid transitions instead of responsiveness. This makes the controls feel very loose and floaty. This is just how it will be but figured I should mention it.
- From what I can tell, every attack in the game is reactable. Guard breaks (throws) can be teched/escaped on reaction. Just ball parking, but I would say the fastest attacks are probably somewhere around 30 frames. Not to mention the on screen indicator makes reacting much easier of course. You can do feints to try to fake people out, but I am not sure how effective this will be in the long run.
- If you play a character with a counterattack from a deflect, it makes every attack punishable on block. This combined with the previous point, makes characters with deflects pretty OP IMO, and turns the game into a turtle fest for two good players. No one wants to attack because you are taking a risk, sitting back and turtling gives no risk and just lets you punish anything your opponent does. It also doesn't help that the counterattack characters seem to have the fastest attacks for interrupting pressure, if you so choose.

I only played the closed beta for a few hours last night, but I did notice some new stuff. Deflects now require you to dodge right at the moment of impact instead of doing it like a "parry". So it does have a stamina requirement, which I bet was done as an attempt to balance out the OP-ness of deflect characters. I am not sure how effective it will be overall, but it does raise the skill floor of the characters at least a little bit I'd think. Also it seems like they added armor to the later frames of some heavy attacks so you won't get interrupted as much by a poke on your 100 frame overhead, lol.

All that said, it still seems like it could be fun. My personal favorite char is the Raider, even though I think he is very gimmicky and not solid at all, he has the coolest moves. Bull rushing people off cliffs is hilarious. Also his Light+Heavy attack is unblockable, and can be done from a chain so he is a real scrub killer. But it seems like you can pretty easily interrupt it or get out of the way of it with dodge since its so slow. His unblockable is amazing however when you have the number advantage on the enemy. If they are locked on someone else, you can go HAM with unblockables and they will really have a tough time dealing with it unless they have a chance to just run away.

My main concern overall is it will be an extreme turtle game at high levels, with counter attack chars being kings.

CrazyFingers

So, I was in the closed alpha that was streamed by some like Maximilian and currently in the closed beta that is going on.

I played the closed alpha a lot. I have some concerns for the game, but it has my interest.

- The movement is similar to Uncharted style, where the animation values fluid transitions instead of responsiveness. This makes the controls feel very loose and floaty. This is just how it will be but figured I should mention it.
- From what I can tell, every attack in the game is reactable. Guard breaks (throws) can be teched/escaped on reaction. Just ball parking, but I would say the fastest attacks are probably somewhere around 30 frames. Not to mention the on screen indicator makes reacting much easier of course. You can do feints to try to fake people out, but I am not sure how effective this will be in the long run.
- If you play a character with a counterattack from a deflect, it makes every attack punishable on block. This combined with the previous point, makes characters with deflects pretty OP IMO, and turns the game into a turtle fest for two good players. No one wants to attack because you are taking a risk, sitting back and turtling gives no risk and just lets you punish anything your opponent does. It also doesn't help that the counterattack characters seem to have the fastest attacks for interrupting pressure, if you so choose.

I only played the closed beta for a few hours last night, but I did notice some new stuff. Deflects now require you to dodge right at the moment of impact instead of doing it like a "parry". So it does have a stamina requirement, which I bet was done as an attempt to balance out the OP-ness of deflect characters. I am not sure how effective it will be overall, but it does raise the skill floor of the characters at least a little bit I'd think. Also it seems like they added armor to the later frames of some heavy attacks so you won't get interrupted as much by a poke on your 100 frame overhead, lol.

All that said, it still seems like it could be fun. My personal favorite char is the Raider, even though I think he is very gimmicky and not solid at all, he has the coolest moves. Bull rushing people off cliffs is hilarious. Also his Light+Heavy attack is unblockable, and can be done from a chain so he is a real scrub killer. But it seems like you can pretty easily interrupt it or get out of the way of it with dodge since its so slow.
I'd also like to point out Raider can wear a SKULL HELMET which makes him way cooler than the other vikings tbh

CrazyFingers

But it seems as though in another game i have picked the gimmick character lmao. I think i'm okay with that.

All that said, it still seems like it could be fun. My personal favorite char is the Raider, even though I think he is very gimmicky and not solid at all, he has the coolest moves. Bull rushing people off cliffs is hilarious. Also his Light+Heavy attack is unblockable, and can be done from a chain so he is a real scrub killer. But it seems like you can pretty easily interrupt it or get out of the way of it with dodge since its so slow. His unblockable is amazing however when you have the number advantage on the enemy. If they are locked on someone else, you can go HAM with unblockables and they will really have a tough time dealing with it unless they have a chance to just run away.

My main concern overall is it will be an extreme turtle game at high levels, with counter attack chars being kings.
Most of the moves are intentionally made to be reactable that's the point of the cancels. In order to stop a string/pressure you have to parry the attack and by doing so you have to heavy attack it. When you cancel the attack they react and try to parry it and then you punish/pary into pressure/punish/throw their slow move. I don't know all the characters but certain ones' moves are almost impossible to react to and parry the move at the same time and other characters have almost instant zone attacks.
I think it might be the character you are using that makes them benefit more from turtling. I use the warden and I feel I can consistently mix up my opponent on offense