What's new

Final Kombat Discussion Thread! - The $200,000 Mortal Kombat Pro Kompetition Finale 6/14-6/16

At the Mortal Kombat 1 Final Kombat World Championship 19 Invited players from the Pro Kompetition Global Leaderboard and one final kontender from the Last Chance Qualifier will compete in Toronto, Canada for their share of $200,000 and the title of MK1 first ever world champion." From the Final Kombat Startgg Page

Here are the Final Kombatants and group stages

NOTE: Illuminati has been replaced with Mikelou for Mexico in Group D due to travel issues

Top 2 of each group advance to the Top 8

WHERE

Day 1 Last Chance Qualifiers - Sheldon & Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre: 341 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M5B 1S1 (8th Floor)

Day 2 & 3 - Group Stage and Final Bracket - Toronto Metropolitan University: 43 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M5G 2A7

TRAVELING THERE?

From the airport YYZ. UP Express Station to Union Station downtown will save on one hellova rideshare

DAILY SCHEDULE

June 14 - LCQ
10AM: Venue Opens
12PM: Pools Block 1
2PM: Pools Block 2
4PM: Top 24
7PM: Top 8
10PM: Venue Closes

June 15 - Group Stage
10AM: Venue Opens
11AM: Group 1
1:30 PM: Group 2
4 PM: Group 3
6:30 PM: Group 4
10 PM: Venue Closes

June 16 - Finals
11AM: Venue Opens
12PM: Top 8 Begins
7PM: Venue Closes

WATCH IT LIVE

twitch.tv/NetherRealm
Youtube.com/MortalKombat
Facebook.com/MortalKombat
TikTok.com/@MortalKombat

PRIZE BREAKDOWN

1st $70,000
2nd $36,000
3rd $24,000
4th $16,000
5th (each) $10,000
7th (each) $5,000
9th (each) $3,000
13th (each) $2,000
17th (each) $1,000

Who do you think will win LCQ? Who do you think will win it all!? Drop thoughts below

Comments

Seeing the 32903289th Johnny vs Peacemaker match today: yes. let's nerf cyrax
:rolleyes:
I am catching up on a couple of matches. Thus far, I have counted three Cyrax appearances. The people who predicted that Cyrax was going to take over the top 8 were evidently wrong.

Also, I am baffled how anyone can watch these matches and arrive to the conclusion that this game does not revolve around string/special move to kameo attacks. Knives to torpedo/anti-gravity is literally the reason why Peacemaker is arguably the best character in the game.

Certain individuals on this website continue being delusional.

Nerfs aren't mutually exclusive, both things should happen
Sure, I'd be honestly surprised if cyrax wasn't re-nerfed this coming Tuesday or next -- but this tournament isn't a good example of why. Outside of some group A matches yesterday Cyrax hardly had any presence, and when he did he was getting flawless blocked pretty consistently, showing that (at least a high level) there is counterplay available. That last appearance with Raiden/Cyrax vs Rain I think I only saw Scorpionprocs*** Nicolas mess up flawless blocking him a single time.

*** Wow, the twins mixed hard

Sure, I'd be honestly surprised if cyrax wasn't re-nerfed this coming Tuesday or next -- but this tournament isn't a good example of why. Outside of some group A matches yesterday Cyrax hardly had any presence, and when he did he was getting flawless blocked pretty consistently, showing that (at least a high level) there is counterplay available. That last appearance with Raiden/Cyrax vs Rain I think I only saw Scorpionprocs*** Nicolas mess up flawless blocking him a single time.

*** Wow, the twins mixed hard
I agree with that - though that is likely just symptomatic of how absolutely busted khameleon is. Cyrax was unnerfed and we're still seeing everyone just running kham, but that doesn't mean he isn't the next problem again around the corner. Both kameos and PM/Johnny should be touched, but really hope they continue adding to base character roster kits as well.

Reactions: nxn
Damn, heartbreaking way to lose from NinjaKilla. Wonder if SF is gonna go Cage mirror or use Sindel?

Does anyone know how many majors Sonic has won now?

It's hard to simultaneously applaud someone's consistent and undeniable talent, and be absolutely bored to effing tears going on Year Ten of watching the same people win the same elaborate guessing game.

I don't disparage Sonic for being the best NRS player ever; I disparage NRS for not making more interesting games.

Does anyone know how many majors Sonic has won now?

It's hard to simultaneously applaud someone's consistent and undeniable talent, and be absolutely bored to effing tears going on Year Ten of watching the same people win the same elaborate guessing game.

I don't disparage Sonic for being the best NRS player ever; I disparage NRS for not making more interesting games.
How can you watch Sonic win MULTIPLE rounds with absolutely ridiculous whiff punishes and call it "an elaborate guessing game." Yeah yeah you're not disparaging Sonic but its pretty clear the game is way more than that.

Ninja vs Nicolas in top 4 was an amazing set. Also that Quan player was cool, mostly coz he played... well somebody else than Cage or PeaceMaker.

Other than that it was imo pretty bland - Cage, PeaceMaker, Cage, PeaceMaker, Cage, PeaceMaker, Cage, PeaceMaker, Cage, Cage. Like seriously, that's pretty sad even from only a viewer perspective.

Also only 10k viewers for the top of the top MK tournament was sad to see.

As a viewer character variety doesn’t bother me much. These are professional players playing for a championship and a ton of money, economically speaking there’s always going to be a minority of characters showcased in top 8.
I’m more interested in the high execution level with the characters, not the characters themselves.

How can you watch Sonic win MULTIPLE rounds with absolutely ridiculous whiff punishes and call it "an elaborate guessing game." Yeah yeah you're not disparaging Sonic but its pretty clear the game is way more than that.
Anyone who could watch the Top 4 and not see that the spacing, reads, whiff punishes and neutral were crazy might just not be a competitive fighting game fan.

Like Sonic baiting the poke, walking back just out of range with perfect spacing and punishing Ninja for the win.

I honestly don’t even see the point in being critical. Because it’s literally the same criticisms I’ve had. And it’s not like voicing my critiques does anything anyway.

Congrats to all the participants, commentators, and everyone else who was apart of the Final Kombat weekend. It looked like a lot of fun and y’all did an absolutely amazing job putting on a show for all of us!

I'm kinda dissapointed at Ninja's play, with all those whiffed pokes and doing pokes galore in general. And the drop at the end against Nicolas sealed it for me.

It's also interesting to see people say that archetypes don't exist when so many of the matches involved a pure rushdown character than cannot zone vs. the game's strongest zoner.

As a viewer character variety doesn’t bother me much. These are professional players playing for a championship and a ton of money, economically speaking there’s always going to be a minority of characters showcased in top 8.
I’m more interested in the high execution level with the characters, not the characters themselves.
Congrats you're an outlier. It bothers me, and it bothers me more that "oh yeah this is normal" is a common reaction here. Not it is not. There have been plenty of fighting games (and other genres) with top level play that has variety.

SF6 at evo, in a meta people have very valid complaints about, had Ken, Blanka, Guile, Cammy, Chun, and JP. And there were probably 3 or 4 other characters who could've made the cut from top 16.

Strive, a game with even more complaining from it's player base, had Happy Chaos, Nago, I-No, Sol, Ky, Zato, and Ram.

I will never get this "nah it's fine, i like it" nonsense. Damn near every other competitive fighter that has any following has better representation at the top levels than most NRS games, and they sure as hell don't try to justify it as "fine". It's not like it's some impossible task to balance either. It's ass to watch everyone play the same damn character, and it's even worse because it's not like this is fucking MvC where the system is deep enough you at least still get some player expression in how they execute.

Last edited:
Congrats you're an outlier. It bothers me, and it bothers me more that "oh yeah this is normal" is a common reaction here. Not it is not. There have been plenty of fighting games (and other genres) with top level play that has variety.

SF6 at evo, in a meat people have very valid complaints about, had Ken, Blanka, Guile, Cammy, Chun, and JP. And there were probably 3 or 4 other characters who could've made the cut from top 16.

Strive, a game with even more complaining from it's player base, had Happy Chaos, Nago, I-No, Sol, Ky, Zato, and Ram.

I will never get this "nah it's fine, i like it" nonsense. Damn near every other competitive fighter that has any following has better representation at the top levels than most NRS games, and they sure as hell don't try to justify it as "fine". It's not like it's some impossible task to balance either. It's ass to watch everyone play the same damn character, and it's even worse because it's not like this is fucking MvC where the system is deep enough you at least still get some player expression in how they execute.
It’s normal for top tiers to see a lot of play in top 8’s, but it doesn’t matter if it’s normal or not. Having low character variety hurts the game both viewership wise and just plain competitive interest wise. No one can deny that seeing a bunch of Johnny Cage’s and Peacemakers made these finals worse. A big reason for that is because these characters are incredibly boring to watch (and play against). Yeah, there’s obviously a bunch of high level things happening, but there’s also a lot of fuck neutral tools that are safe via Kameos (and armor). It’s not a coincidence that arguably the 2 best characters in the game both have fuck neutral tools that are unreactable and both can be made safe. The risk/reward is just way too off balanced, to the point to where there’s almost no risk in fact. And that’s not fun to watch on any level by any level of viewer. Also, don’t let anyone here or elsewhere fool you, a lot of top players also feel the same way.

Final Kombat had, in top 8, Sindel, General Shao, Johnny Cage, Peacemaker, Rain, Kitana, Shang Tsung, and Raiden. Seems pretty similar to Street Fighter. The game is also not even 1 year old yet, variety takes time.

Final Kombat had, in top 8, Sindel, General Shao, Johnny Cage, Peacemaker, Rain, Kitana, Shang Tsung, and Raiden. Seems pretty similar to Street Fighter. The game is also not even 1 year old yet, variety takes time.
This is slanted as hell. Literally every single top 8 player played johnny or peacemaker except 1. The top8's i'm listing have 3 players between them that switched characters in top 8.

You can’t just look at what characters were picked. For instance NinjaKilla used Liu Kang in the losers final for 1 match but his main in the top 8 was clearly Peacemaker. Scorpionprocs really only used Rain because it was against his twin brother.
The characters most used in the top 8 by each player were:
  1. SonicFox: Johnny Cage
  2. Nicolas: Johnny Cage
  3. NinjaKilla: Peacemaker
  4. FaysalKombat: Kitana & Peacemaker
  5. Scorpionprocs: Baraka
  6. TheMightyUnjust: Peacemaker
  7. Xombat: Johnny Cage
  8. VideoGamezYo: Shang & Shao
So out of the top 8, 6 of those 8 primarily used either Johnny or Peacemaker.

This is clearly an issue. Everyone who isn’t just blindly and relentlessly trying to defend the game regardless of what happens can see that. It’s a shame because people who do that actively stand in the way of progress. People need to stop acting like it’s fine when it very clearly isn’t. Not singling you out @Marlow, you’re generally fairly level headed with your takes. And I completely understand the need to defend the game especially when there’s so many critiques and a lot of the same ones. But at some point we have to be honest with ourselves and the community and lookout for what’s best for both going forward.