What's new

Final Kombat Discussion Thread! - The $200,000 Mortal Kombat Pro Kompetition Finale 6/14-6/16

At the Mortal Kombat 1 Final Kombat World Championship 19 Invited players from the Pro Kompetition Global Leaderboard and one final kontender from the Last Chance Qualifier will compete in Toronto, Canada for their share of $200,000 and the title of MK1 first ever world champion." From the Final Kombat Startgg Page

Here are the Final Kombatants and group stages

NOTE: Illuminati has been replaced with Mikelou for Mexico in Group D due to travel issues

Top 2 of each group advance to the Top 8

WHERE

Day 1 Last Chance Qualifiers - Sheldon & Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre: 341 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M5B 1S1 (8th Floor)

Day 2 & 3 - Group Stage and Final Bracket - Toronto Metropolitan University: 43 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M5G 2A7

TRAVELING THERE?

From the airport YYZ. UP Express Station to Union Station downtown will save on one hellova rideshare

DAILY SCHEDULE

June 14 - LCQ
10AM: Venue Opens
12PM: Pools Block 1
2PM: Pools Block 2
4PM: Top 24
7PM: Top 8
10PM: Venue Closes

June 15 - Group Stage
10AM: Venue Opens
11AM: Group 1
1:30 PM: Group 2
4 PM: Group 3
6:30 PM: Group 4
10 PM: Venue Closes

June 16 - Finals
11AM: Venue Opens
12PM: Top 8 Begins
7PM: Venue Closes

WATCH IT LIVE

twitch.tv/NetherRealm
Youtube.com/MortalKombat
Facebook.com/MortalKombat
TikTok.com/@MortalKombat

PRIZE BREAKDOWN

1st $70,000
2nd $36,000
3rd $24,000
4th $16,000
5th (each) $10,000
7th (each) $5,000
9th (each) $3,000
13th (each) $2,000
17th (each) $1,000

Who do you think will win LCQ? Who do you think will win it all!? Drop thoughts below

Comments

For those traveling to the event, I'm born and raised in the Greater Toronto Area and can recommend some eats and drinks:

The Wheat Sheaf is one of, if not the, oldest tavern in Toronto. It's a street car trip from the tournament venue, but a good place.

If you want to sample some excellent poutine, go to a Smoke's Poutinerie. They're a heart attack in a box and oh so good. The bacon poutine was always my favourite.

If you want a casual Canadian sit down restaurant, Swiss Chalet is a great place. Their chicken and ribs are quite good.

For pizza, there are many independent places you can find and try, but for a chain, I recommend Pizza Nova.

For alcohol, I'm a big fan of anything by Sleeman's (except their honey brown). Their cream ale and original draft are excellent. You can also try a beer brewed right by the lake in Toronto itself, Steam Whistle. An excellent pilsner.

If you like rye, Crown Royal is great. Mixes nice with ginger ale, coke, and surprisingly root beer.

Update: Forgot to list gourmet burger joints. I'm a huge fan of South Street Burgers. Another one, much greasier, is Burger's Priest. Both places make excellent burgers.

For fast food burgers, Harvey's or A&W (it's different then American A&W).

Update 2: I forgot steaks! If you want to eat a great steak, go to The Keg. There's several downtown, and they're absolutely excellent. They're fully loaded baked potato is also great. I've also heard Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is fantastic, but they're much pricier and I have not eaten there myself.

Last edited:
For those traveling to the event, I'm born and raised in the Greater Toronto Area and can recommend some eats and drinks:

The Wheat Sheaf is one of, if not the, oldest tavern in Toronto. It's a street car trip from the tournament venue, but a good place.

If you want to sample some excellent poutine, go to a Smoke's Poutinerie. They're a heart attack in a box and oh so good. The bacon poutine was always my favourite.

If you want a casual Canadian sit down restaurant, Swiss Chalet is a great place. Their chicken and ribs are quite good.

For pizza, there are many independent places you can find and try, but for a chain, I recommend Pizza Nova.

For alcohol, I'm a big fan of anything by Sleeman's (except their honey brown). Their cream ale and original draft are excellent. You can also try a beer brewed right by the lake in Toronto itself, Steam Whistle. An excellent pilsner.

If you like rye, Crown Royal is great. Mixes nice with ginger ale, coke, and surprisingly root beer.

Update: Forgot to list gourmet burger joints. I'm a huge fan of South Street Burgers. Another one, much greasier, is Burger's Priest. Both places make excellent burgers.

For fast food burgers, Harvey's or A&W (it's different then American A&W).
This was the information I was really looking for, thank you sir!

So it seems like Cucuy, Gambler, Pulse would be the favorties to win, but there are a lot of players who could cause damage or upset people.

Sooneo, Grr, Honeybee, Hayatei, MARI, Wannianlaoer22 (the Chinese Scorpion), Euphoring, Curbo etc. all worth a watch.

Should be fun.

Is there going to be a set up for casuals? It’s only 30$ for the three day pass and I live here so I may go.

To out of towners if you like Indian/pakistani food Toronto is insanely good for eats

Oh, didn’t realize this was a thread for the LCQ and Final Kombat.

Anyway, it seems each group is doing a round robin, and either the top 2 or top 3 in each group will make it to Sunday. Really annoyed at the lack of information honestly.

So far the matches have great, albeit a bit one sided. It seems as though SonicFox and Tekken Master are in a different league in their group so far.

Anyway, it seems each group is doing a round robin, and either the top 2 or top 3 in each group will make it to Sunday. Really annoyed at the lack of information honestly.
Some of the posts over the months have gone over a little bit of it, but for the most part they just placed all the info on the Start GG FAQ for Final Kombat. Full rules for Day 2 are:
Day 2 - Group Stage The Group Stage consists of four separate groups of five players per group. Seeding is based on the Global Points Leaderboard regardless of qualifying method. The Group Stage will be “Round Robin” brackets, meaning that each Player will play one match against each other Player in their group. All matches in the Group Stage are Best-of-Five (First To Three). Score is counted as total matches won, meaning that if a player wins three and loses one of their four total matches they will have a score of 3. Tiebreakers in the group stage will be determined by Game differential, Round differential, and Player differential, meaning that the Player who has the best game record, best round record, or has taken games or rounds from a higher placing player will break the tie. In the event of a perfect tie the tiebreaker will be decided by the match results between the tied players.... The two (2) highest placing players in each group will advance to the Final Bracket.

Some of the posts over the months have gone over a little bit of it, but for the most part they just placed all the info on the Start GG FAQ for Final Kombat. Full rules for Day 2 are:
Nice, thanks for this. So 2 from each group advance. For some reason I thought there was 5 groups, regardless, I just wasn’t thinking lol. Top 2 makes sense considering they qualify for top 8 tomorrow lmao… I r smart

Pretty crazy movement, spacing and reads in that Kombat/Ninja match. Outside of Cyrax, when people say the game is just string into kameo into string, I wonder who they’re playing against.

The difference with players like these (and Nicholas) is clearly movement, reactions, timing, and understanding of the fundamentals, and that’s why they’re consistently coming out on top.

If you're not strong on staggers, the high/mid/microduck strike/throw meta, when to armor, whiff punishing, dashblock movement, pokes etc. you won't get anywhere against good players by autopiloting kameos. And these are legacy fundamentals that have been building up since MK9.

This is also what I dislike about Cyrax helicopter. Horizontal copter's lack of counterplay reduces the meta to it's most boring form, and that was pretty evident in the Scorpionprocs vs. VGY match. Adjusting Kameo attacks like that allows MK1's true meta to shine through.