What's new

Fighting EX Layer gameplay showcases

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
My main goal in buying the game was to support this little game that could.

It is pretty raw content wise, which I hope can be fleshed out a little. The single player experience is really nonexistent. The inability to see stages in training is something easy that should be fixed. I'm someone that often never plays a human in a game unless I'm super into it. Even then it takes weeks before I'm comfortable doing so. I haven't seen anything but training checkers all night.

I really love the character illustrations, so much so that it's mildly disappointing to see the 3d versions, even though they aren't bad. Definitely could use more characters, but then we knew that going in.

I think the UI is simple but well presented, vs KOF14 which wasn't much fun to look at.

Game plays familiar enough for anyone that has done time with their 2D fighters.

For anyone that sees this (like right now) it's being streamed by Max ATM https://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I think it's pretty clear there isn't any value in the standard version. Not the kind of value that justifies a 50% price increase. A better plan would probably be to buy the light version with the color pack.

I mean I got the standard version, but I'm also a fg glutton. I just find it hard to recommend that path.

I ended up taking a rando vacation day, so I may help some people rank up by being cannon fodder today.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
I think it's pretty clear there isn't any value in the standard version. Not the kind of value that justifies a 50% price increase. A better plan would probably be to buy the light version with the color pack.

I mean I got the standard version, but I'm also a fg glutton. I just find it hard to recommend that path.

I ended up taking a rando vacation day, so I may help some people rank up by being cannon fodder today.
thanks i think i will go the light route

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
This Hades thing feels way more powerful than anything else. Getting armor forever is not OK. There are things that get through, but not enough. Why not one round?

Literally the only reason I've won anything. Turned it off.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I know a lot of people are kinda iffy when it comes to youtubers, but I am just glad this game is getting some good exposure! It helps it a lot!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
(Vid reference) It was worth mentioning the game actually works without day one weirdness.

I'm clearly the worst playing, and don't really follow the flow of the game. I may not stick to it very long, but free wins for everyone this weekend.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
ok so apparently the standard version has 10 extra decks in it. are those decks dlc or can I still unlock them in the light version

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I have trouble getting matches but I really enjoy the game, it's a little tricky to learn but I'm having fun

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I did ok finding people yesterday @3 bars. I don't think I ran into any repeats.

It did give me a few 2bars when set at 3 and I had to wait a couple of min here or there, but nothing crazy.

I didn't change the region settings.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm not great at figuring out how games play, so can people weigh in on plan of action/meta stuff?

Right now it feels like:
- Try and poke with lights into med. Hit confirm into special, then pay for super(s) if it makes sense.
- Hard normals are technically safe, but functionally risky due to how slow they are.
- Some specials have punish windows that are so small that they probably are safe online.
- Game is fast. Young gamer reactions would come in handy.
- Know thy Gougi
- Know thy opponent's Gougi
- Cross ups are a thing.
- Anti airing is weak, so bunny if you want and die when playing other games after developing the habit?
- If they have Hades, don't knock them down and don't end in supers. Aim for pure chain combos and stray hits in neutral. (to delay activation)

I know game plans shift across characters and I'm currently looking at things trough a Blair lens. I'm not really good or smart about games, so I always appreciate hearing how other people think about how a game works and should be approached.

Side note. One thing I wanted to mention I like about the game is how lightweight the games is. It's not mind blowing graphics wise, but the footprint is small (2gb-ish download i think), and the load times are great. A lot of fighters on console take forever to load between matches and we play a lot of matches. We probably spend more idle time on load screens than any other genre, and that's loss of both game time and life in general.

That's not the case here. Everything is very snappy in that regard, and even though it's not AAA looking, it's still very attractive at times. I think it's a really nice quality of life aspect to the game, and I something I wish we could bring to other fighters.

ArmedCalf

Jumps seem, like, embarassingly low risk

Let me rephrase, there's no AA buttons.

And with my second edit, i happily admit I have become a rabbit. And am loving it.

Last edited:

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Jumps seem, like, embarassingly low risk

Let me rephrase, there's no AA buttons.

And with my second edit, i happily admit I have become a rabbit. And am loving it.
Anti-air buttons seem mostly super short range and against MK/HK jumps they're too risky, seems you need a DP to anti-air consistently or to go for air to airs.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I've never been punished for jumping
It's pretty easy though. Jump + High Kick usually does the trick. When I'm playing on Blair, her Lightning Knee is pretty good too, depending on how close they are. The standing AA moves can be tricky though. Maybe they will make a balance patch at some point.

ArmedCalf

So I'm having an absolute ball with this game. It's weird and it's wonky but MAN it's a ton of fun. I bought the full version which I definitely would go back and change if I could, but I'm loving it. The combo system actually seems suuuuper super simple. It seems like a game of punishes, stray hits, confirms and decision making. I'm a fan. I wanna hit the top 100 in ranked.