What's new

Fighting EX Layer gameplay showcases

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Looks like a mix of a 2D Tekken, DOA and KOF to me kind of. Is this like an indie game? Looks cool.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Is this like an indie game?
Kinda, yeah.
Arika made the original Street Fighter EX series and later an original title called Fighting Layer.
This game, Fighting EX Layer, is Arika taking their original characters from those games (so far only the SFEX though) and making a fighting game from it. However, since they had little to no budget, they have made this game from their own personal funds. Hence why it is only on PS4 and digital only. The more they sell though, the more stuff they will put out for the game. Kinda like how Killer Instinct did it.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Garuda appears to attack with a large crystal penis?

So, the game looks better than it did in the little beta we got a while back and I'm glad to see that. From the vids posted here the gameplay looks very sfiv-ish to me. Short and concise combos, with ex moves creating additional juggle opportunities and so on. Maybe a small KoF vibe too, but not much of one.

I won't be playing it myself, I came to FGs late, and have no experience with any of the old ARIKA stuff, so no nostalgia to make the game more appealing than the ton of other choices out there right now. I didn't realize they were funding out of pocket though, so I will buy a copy when I get paid again just to support the devs. I also look forward to catching some tournaments in the future and see how the game evolves.

EntropicByDesign

What are the little boxes at the bottom that occasionally light up? I saw some that said METER UP like three times, and some I didn't understand, etc. I'm guessing they are buffs of some kind you activate by meeting certain criteria in s match?

Do you choose them yourself, individually, or are they always the same or picked in groups, or?

And I mean, that's an awful specific place to make a large, phallic-like crystal appear from, just sayin'. I feel like he's trying to send a message.. exactly what message I'm not sure. But it's a message.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
What are the little boxes at the bottom that occasionally light up? I saw some that said METER UP like three times, and some I didn't understand, etc. I'm guessing they are buffs of some kind you activate by meeting certain criteria in s match?

Do you choose them yourself, individually, or are they always the same or picked in groups, or?
Those are the new gameplay elements, called the Gougi. You choose a deck alongside your character which has 5 different Gougi in it which gives your character different boosts when you have done what is required to activate them. For example, the Shinobi deck has one where you have to not be hit for 10 seconds (I think) to activate a Gougi which makes you invisible when dashing forward. Some makes your character do more damage, some makes your Meter slowly replenish, some makes you steal HP just by being near the opponent, some gives you Guard Armour, stuff like that.

EntropicByDesign

Those are the new gameplay elements, called the Gougi. You choose a deck alongside your character which has 5 different Gougi in it which gives your character different boosts when you have done what is required to activate them. For example, the Shinobi deck has one where you have to not be hit for 10 seconds (I think) to activate a Gougi which makes you invisible when dashing forward. Some makes your character do more damage, some makes your Meter slowly replenish, some makes you steal HP just by being near the opponent, some gives you Guard Armour, stuff like that.

That is actually extremely cool and something I'd love to see FGs do more of. The ability to customize a character is such a powerful way to build depth and empower different styles of play. I'm big on character ownership, and I like that mechanic a lot.

Very cool - and thank you for answering my questions.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
This game is out??? How much is it ?Question mark?
There are 2 versions. Light and Standard. From what I understand, Light is 40$ and Standard is 60$.
With Light you get all characters sans Hokuto and you only get 5 Gougi decks (the ones in the Beta). With Standard version you get all characters AND Hokuto and 15 Gougi decks!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
There are 2 versions. Light and Standard. From what I understand, Light is 40$ and Standard is 60$.
With Light you get all characters sans Hokuto and you only get 5 Gougi decks (the ones in the Beta). With Standard version you get all characters AND Hokuto and 15 Gougi decks!

Hmmmm...*thinks*...not sure if ill cop this game, but good to see it finally released.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Kinda, yeah.
Arika made the original Street Fighter EX series and later an original title called Fighting Layer.
This game, Fighting EX Layer, is Arika taking their original characters from those games (so far only the SFEX though) and making a fighting game from it. However, since they had little to no budget, they have made this game from their own personal funds. Hence why it is only on PS4 and digital only. The more they sell though, the more stuff they will put out for the game. Kinda like how Killer Instinct did it.
Oh I see thanks. That's good to know.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter

This is me getting my ass kicked in Fighting EX Layer for a couple of hours! :D
Sorry about the first small part of the video, I was trying to setup twitch then.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
also i heard that there wasnt a arcade mode so i was worried about that. as long as there is a practice mode im good. i remember them being the first to introduce trials so hopefully those are back as well

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm annoyed I couldn't buy this a midnight or even this morning to have it downloading while at work. The rolling release thing is obnoxious. UTC releases would be nice but never happen.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
hey im thinking about getting this game but i dont know which version to get? any suggestions?
I explained the versions in an above post:

also i heard that there wasnt a arcade mode so i was worried about that. as long as there is a practice mode im good. i remember them being the first to introduce trials so hopefully those are back as well
Yeah, considering that the game developers (Arika) have invested their own funds into making this thing, it is very bare-bones for now. There's Online VS which includes a Ranked and Casual, Offline VS, Training and Expert Mode, which is FEXL's version of "Trials" from SFV.

Hopefully the more funds Arika will get (depending on how good the sales are), the game will expand with more modes, characters and features.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
I explained the versions in an above post:

maybe i wasnt clear when i ask for your suggestion on which one to get. i read the explanation on the price and what you get but i was asking is the standard version worth it? as far as the modes thanks for explaining whats offered .

Yeah, considering that the game developers (Arika) have invested their own funds into making this thing, it is very bare-bones for now. There's Online VS which includes a Ranked and Casual, Offline VS, Training and Expert Mode, which is FEXL's version of "Trials" from SFV.

Hopefully the more funds Arika will get (depending on how good the sales are), the game will expand with more modes, characters and features.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Ah, whether or not if it is worth it is up to you. I don't play Hokuto and the Gougi deck I use is one of the 5 you get from the Light pack, however, I wish to support Arika and this game in hopes of it expanding in the future. To me it is an investment... let's see if it pays off though.

However, you can look into what the Gougi decks are here:

The first 5 are in the Light version while you get all 15 in the Standard version.