What's new

Tech Fighting against crouching chars with kung lao

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I did mean Cyrax. Sektor is fine, but a lot of people think that Cyrax exposes and capitalizes a good deal of Lao's toolset. I'm not a Cyrax player, but most of the Cyrax mains don't seem to have much fear of Lao these days.

I actually went back at one point to tally up how Lao's have been doing vs. Cyraxes in tourney at a high level.. And the results are sobering.

It's a dead even matchup, IMO.
A clash of the dirt, if ever there was one.
Lao can only do so much damage in one spell or two, as opposed to Cyrax with or without meter.
Whereas Cyrax can never hope to be as fast or difficult to predict as Kung Lao.

Balance...for the most part.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
It's a dead even matchup, IMO.
A clash of the dirt, if ever there was one.
Lao can only do so much damage in one spell or two, as opposed to Cyrax with or without meter.
Whereas Cyrax can never hope to be as fast or difficult to predict as Kung Lao.

Balance...for the most part.
Nah...Lao gets grounded in this matchup. Not to mention that Cyrax's footsies are way better. Bird Lao can only do so much in that matchup before he gets his dive kicks blocked and goodbye health.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
How about you guys put your heads together and find a way around his problem vs crouch.

All this means Kung Lao's counter poking is ass especially if you just spam d3 all day.

I would like to see all this KL combo maker people actually find out a way to make his counter poke better besides throwing out spin.

But that's the threat KL is supposed to hold...

At any time, you can be spun for 30% for pressing a single button, or block and allow him to continue rushing.

The roll,112,1121, early tele 3 all serve the same purpose, getting in, and having a constant rock/scissor/paper game straight after, which is Spin/block a poke/rush on block...

He is not a counter poke character, he never has been, spin is the threat.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
This is why old Kl was better cause before you could play the same mindgame as the spin but with the lowhat which was way safer.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Nah...Lao gets grounded in this matchup. Not to mention that Cyrax's footsies are way better. Bird Lao can only do so much in that matchup before he gets his dive kicks blocked and goodbye health.
If you're getting your divekicks blocked, you're not doing bird Lao. Its very difficult to ever get them blocked anyway, at least if you're doing it the way I mean.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
If you're getting your divekicks blocked, you're not doing bird Lao. Its very difficult to ever get them blocked anyway, at least if you're doing it the way I mean.
jKDK at pointblank range and stuff like that, correct? very hard to stop. reptile is probably one of the few who could stop you because of how fast his dash is, so he could dash with u and block ur dive kick....but then once he catches on u can mix it up with tele-3. Cybersub N Kratos could be a problem with their parry's....but u don't need to go bird on those 2 to win with lao anyways.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Amirite?
It makes me WANT them to be Top 3 just so we can have our top tier original recipe delicious.

I agree 100%. The nerf turned him into just as dominant a character, but on a relatively fair playing field.

I'm gonna go get drunk and go into the lab, but I swear to the gods, B33-Spin is hit confirmable.
I'm like 88% sure. But 88 is not 100.
No I don't think it is, if so its pretty hard to hit confirm.

coolwhip

Noob
I'd be shocked if people can consistently hit-confirm B33 in the heat of battle. You can say it's hit-confirmable, but doing it in training when you know the B3 is going to land is a different proposition. Hell, 21 often goes without hit-confirming in high level matches, and that string is actually 100% hit-confirmable.

coolwhip

Noob
As far as Cyrax goes, Bird Lao or not, I think he'll always have the advantage in this match-up, unfortunately.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
maybe, practice hitconfirming it?

do nothing but b33 in the lab with a partner for a day? o3o

and cyrax may have an advantage, but its no 7-3 thats for sure.

Every time there is a semi-controversial thread, the actual reactions to it are far worse. I actually agree with you that finding solutions for Lao's problems is totally different to making combo videos, and there's nothing wrong with just making cool combos for the sake of swag.

But "get fucked", because of this? Really? Good grief...
yes. What's wrong with saying, "hey guys let's put our heads together and figure this out" instead of throwing people under the bus, disregarding what they have contributed, and simultaneously making it seem as if it's their fault since they wasted time doing combos and not figure out how to deal with crouching characters. I think it was a dick thing to do and say.

coolwhip

Noob
yes. What's wrong with saying, "hey guys let's put our heads together and figure this out" instead of throwing people under the bus, disregarding what they have contributed, and simultaneously making it seem as if it's their fault since they wasted time doing combos and not figure out how to deal with crouching characters. I think it was a dick thing to do and say.
Absolutely, and I completely agreed with you in my initial reply. I just didn't think the offense merited the amount of venom in your reply, but yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Bird Lao really is dumb
If you haven't fought it.... you just don't know. I've played a baby bird lao and it was retarded.

Reptile vs Bird Lao is the noobiest match you'll ever watch.

Absolutely, and I completely agreed with you in my initial reply. I just didn't think the offense merited the amount of venom in your reply, but yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying at all.
man it really ticks me off when people belittle what someone else does, especially if has no affect on them whatsoever. It's such a condescending, eff you buddy.

Ive actually been using this ''bird lao'' a lot longer before anyone even mentioned it, I just didnt realise you could abuse it like that outside the cage and sonya matchup so I never abused it like foxy probably does. The idea came from reo who i saw use a naked jumpkick divekick over an opponent once long ago prepatch. and after a while usedforglue posted a video about it doing 2% chip and catching opponents jumping out of pressure for full combo.

Seven

|| Seven ||
I'm sick and tired of seeing all these combos that will never hit anyone in a real match.

How about you guys put your heads together and find a way around his problem vs crouch.

Crouching destroys all of his options besides spin, low hat, b3, f3, b1 and f4.

Now all of those options have downside:
spin is unsafe
low hat is a unsafe projectile that is only +2 on hit
b3 is a 11 frame short ranged unhit confirmable combo starter
f3 is only 0 on hit and -4 on block (stupid wtf why)
b1 is a mid hitting hit confirming combo starter but its slow as balls.
f4 is a slow low attack jumping 0 on block push back away.

All this means Kung Lao's counter poking is ass especially if you just spam d3 all day.

I would like to see all this KL combo maker people actually find out a way to make his counter poke better besides throwing out spin.

Yeah well I have to deal with a character that has NO armor and is unsafe with half the stuff he does. You've won 2 EVOs, so I think your character is good enough. Also I want to play you on XBL, I messaged you but you didn't respond!!!

Flagg

Noob
I agree with the statement that out of the top 5 characters, KL is the only one that is solid because of design, not BS OP crap. Imo he is a Top tier balanced character.

I still want to see what this Bird Lao business is all about. Is there footage cause im genuinely interested as to why this takes the character to a new level.