What's new

General/Other - Ferra/Torr Ferra & Torr General Discussion Thread

Best novel title for Ferra & Torr?

• The Little Munchkin and her Faithful Servant.

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Savage Cutie and her Obedient Brute.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • The Vicious Dwarf and her Huggy Buddy.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • The Small Woman and her Adrift Protector.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • The Pygmy Lady and the Hopeless Soul.

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Cutie and the Beast

Votes: 72 58.5%

• Total voters

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Yea, but if you aren't png cancelling you're not really doing it right imo. Every touch in ruthless should go for damage or a 3 stack png set up into pressure or baiting
I'm not doing it everytime and it's working just fine. B12 stagger is super good in ruthless as well especially in the corner. B12 pngc is a mixup you can use but you should definitely mix it up more than that. If you do b12,b121 so many people let themself hit by that that you can easily hitconfirm into Full combo. So many options are possible due top the Crazy range of b12

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
I'm not doing it everytime and it's working just fine. B12 stagger is super good in ruthless as well especially in the corner. B12 pngc is a mixup you can use but you should definitely mix it up more than that. If you do b12,b121 so many people let themself hit by that that you can easily hitconfirm into Full combo. So many options are possible due top the Crazy range of b12
Hey man if your system works I in no way want to change it. B12 staggers in the corner of course I'm doing those, usually doing crazy mix ups with ferra like b1xxlow. On block I'm using the staggers like a madman, but on hit, any situation with a guaranteed 50/50 is also one that can be cancelled and extended with PnG, so you're leaving damage on the table, or giving your opponent an opportunity to block your mix up.

Blewdew

Hey man if your system works I in no way want to change it. B12 staggers in the corner of course I'm doing those, usually doing crazy mix ups with ferra like b1xxlow. On block I'm using the staggers like a madman, but on hit, any situation with a guaranteed 50/50 is also one that can be cancelled and extended with PnG, so you're leaving damage on the table, or giving your opponent an opportunity to block your mix up.
Yeah I'm not talking about on hit though I'm Quite good at hit confirming lol. HOWEVER if they gonna let themself get hit by b121 and you have Access to ferra shit's gonna be crazy. B121 has enough hit Advantage to garantuee b2 or run,f2 but now you have million mixup ways. You can do the oh or low, you can do f2,ex oh toss,f2xxpngc,f2,f2 ex low toss,jip with 50/50 followup, run up and do raw cmd grab after your hit advantage which is sinister garantueed damage if you're on point. Yeah you can get really creative with it (it works when you follow with b121 After blocked oh toss, ferra is quick enough for these mixups)

Depends on the match-up.
Ruthless is the more all-rounder of them, but LAckey and Vicious pick up where Ruthless falls short.
Ok so ruthless would probably be the stronger of the three by a little then? Also is his pain and gain worth it? I mean I've always been wary of those self inflicting blows to get more damage, yea you get more damage but you kill yourself too.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Ok so ruthless would probably be the stronger of the three by a little then?
I would say a little more than just a little. Ruthless is beast.

Also is his pain and gain worth it? I mean I've always been wary of those self inflicting blows to get more damage, yea you get more damage but you kill yourself too.
Depends. In the neutral it's probably not smart unless you read that the opponent is going to do something you can eat with armor and then punish, so it's good for mind games. If you don't land anything before the P&G runs out then you mostly just punched yourself in the face for 5%, or if they hit you after your armor runs out then they could full combo you.

But the reward if it works is much higher than 5%.

The situation you should always P&G is during punishes. Begin your punish with whatever normal or string and then cancel into P&G, Run Cancel that, and F2 for a full combo.

Basically:

• Vicious for counter-zoning
  • Lackey for rushdown/counter-pressure
  • Ruthless for insane damage & mind games

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Yeah used to think Lackey edged it out over ruthless but I now agree that Ruthless is the #1 variation.

Blewdew

I would say a little more than just a little. Ruthless is beast.

Depends. In the neutral it's probably not smart unless you read that the opponent is going to do something you can eat with armor and then punish, so it's good for mind games. If you don't land anything before the P&G runs out then you mostly just punched yourself in the face for 5%, or if they hit you after your armor runs out then they could full combo you.

But the reward if it works is much higher than 5%.

The situation you should always P&G is during punishes. Begin your punish with whatever normal or string and then cancel into P&G, Run Cancel that, and F2 for a full combo.

Basically:

• Vicious for counter-zoning
  • Lackey for rushdown/counter-pressure
  • Ruthless for insane damage & mind games
Just want to add that ruthless has top tier pressure as well

Blewdew

This may be the dumbest/ most irrelevant question ever asked on TYM, but how did you put the variation title under your profile picture?
Not a dumb question though it Took some time until I realized how it works as well :p

Blewdew

That makes me feel better lol.
Do you play any Lackey? He is my main w/ Reptile. I didn't enjoy Ruthless
I play all of ft's variations but mainly ruthless. While I think it's their best Variation I can see why people like lackey more than ruthless though .imo lackey is more fun to play but I do better with ruthless overall.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I play all of ft's variations but mainly ruthless. While I think it's their best Variation I can see why people like lackey more than ruthless though .imo lackey is more fun to play but I do better with ruthless overall.
Yeah, I like the rush down/overwhelming high damage guys like Lackey/Reptile. Ruthless is high risk high reward. It's so annoying when pain n' gain wears off without use

Blewdew

Yeah, I like the rush down/overwhelming high damage guys like Lackey/Reptile. Ruthless is high risk high reward. It's so annoying when pain n' gain wears off without use
ruthless is probably one of the safest characters in the game so I don't see the risk factor (FT in general is super safe). b121pngc has the lowest block advantage from your pressure tools with 0 frames which is really good since your 6 frame d1 or 7 frame d3 beats everything after it if your opponent doesn't react frame perfect (or armor obviously). f2pngc and s4pngc are +10 at least, b12pngc is +2 so it's an incredibly good pressure tool.

and if you're talking about having low health because of the 5% you loose because of png it comes down to your life bar management and that's where you have to play smart. I usually png after cmd grab to stuff wakeups in the corner and midscreen to get some damage for the tosses. you also have to realize that you can make every b121 hitconfirm or s4 punish into a ~50% combo even without being buffed by png before.

that's why I always say that ruthless is not an easy or braindead variation. they're not like dvorah or lui kang who can run cancel for days and get + frames without having any downside. png is probably one of the best specials in the whole game IF used correctly.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Add also b.12xxOH toss is +10 and jails into his other tools, and b.121xx(oh toss) is a trap that you can mix your enemies up with.

Such safety :D

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
ruthless is probably one of the safest characters in the game so I don't see the risk factor (FT in general is super safe). b121pngc has the lowest block advantage from your pressure tools with 0 frames which is really good since your 6 frame d1 or 7 frame d3 beats everything after it if your opponent doesn't react frame perfect (or armor obviously). f2pngc and s4pngc are +10 at least, b12pngc is +2 so it's an incredibly good pressure tool.

and if you're talking about having low health because of the 5% you loose because of png it comes down to your life bar management and that's where you have to play smart. I usually png after cmd grab to stuff wakeups in the corner and midscreen to get some damage for the tosses. you also have to realize that you can make every b121 hitconfirm or s4 punish into a ~50% combo even without being buffed by png before.

that's why I always say that ruthless is not an easy or braindead variation. they're not like dvorah or lui kang who can run cancel for days and get + frames without having any downside. png is probably one of the best specials in the whole game IF used correctly.
It's not brain dead at all. I was talkING about the risk of using PnG not during a combo, and that's where you have to do it at the right time. 5% could be life or death

Blewdew

It's not brain dead at all. I was talkING about the risk of using PnG not during a combo, and that's where you have to do it at the right time. 5% could be life or death
You can hitconfirm into ex tosses and get about 40% without png :p