What's new

General/Other - Ferra/Torr Ferra & Torr General Discussion Thread

Best novel title for Ferra & Torr?

• The Little Munchkin and her Faithful Servant.

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • The Savage Cutie and her Obedient Brute.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • The Vicious Dwarf and her Huggy Buddy.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • The Small Woman and her Adrift Protector.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • The Pygmy Lady and the Hopeless Soul.

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Cutie and the Beast

Votes: 72 58.5%

• Total voters

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I've been calling Ferra/Torr "Itchy and Scratchy."

Seems to work. Also this character and a half is a terrifying monster and it looks like almost everyone is sleeping on them.

Glass half empty much? :v

Ft vic. Has reliable %34 and good range and projectiles. Opponent still has to deal with a 50/50 after max range tosses. I agree that he's not Cassie or kitana.

Lackey is beastly I'm learning. zone issues but godamn he got rush.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
42+4 got nerfed :( It used to go full screen now it only goes about 2/5 of the screen... #RIPBestTrollString #BuffFerraTorr #NotAllowedToLive

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Talking about vicious.

Ferra/Torr is slow, has okay combo damage, bad armor moves, bad footsies range, bad punishments, an okay throw and bad projectiles.

I call their projectiles bad because all it takes is for someone to block a single one so they can run to your face and pressure you while Ferra is not back.

They only have armor or invincibility with Ex moves but building meter is hard. b,f+3 and throw are the only moves they have for armor and none is doing over 20%.

If you do the throw after a move that's not blocked, you're likely getting launched. And there's no confirming it, so just hope that your opponents blocked the move preceding the throw.

They also have no oki since you can just roll after throw.
Know who else was slow, had bad combo damage, no armored moves, bad punishes, an ok throw and no projectiles?
Cooldown Bane. Yet I can tell you that most people made it through just fine. Reason being is that like Bane's d.1, Torr's d.1 is a huge reach, fast, high-advantage move. Its not as bad as it seems

MK Led

Umbasa
42+4 got nerfed :( It used to go full screen now it only goes about 2/5 of the screen... #RIPBestTrollString #BuffFerraTorr #NotAllowedToLive
My favourite thing was getting a quitality just as ferra hit the opponent from that string from halfway across the screen haha. Makes me want it to be a brutality.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
I was testing this yesterday. You can do it on reaction everytime from 3/4 the screen. Lackey is damned good, i just need more practice as i drop his f2 starter all the time.

I dont like that his enders from the combo thread all send the opponent full screen. Seems dumb since i pose 0 threat from there. Whatre u lackeys using as enders?
It really is irrelevant how much distance you put between yourself and your opponent. Just about all of Lackey's combos carry the opponent half the screen with options of which side to put them on, which means you will be putting them in the corner more often than not.

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
Talking about vicious.

Ferra/Torr is slow, has okay combo damage, bad armor moves, bad footsies range, bad punishments, an okay throw and bad projectiles.

I call their projectiles bad because all it takes is for someone to block a single one so they can run to your face and pressure you while Ferra is not back.

They only have armor or invincibility with Ex moves but building meter is hard. b,f+3 and throw are the only moves they have for armor and none is doing over 20%.

If you do the throw after a move that's not blocked, you're likely getting launched. And there's no confirming it, so just hope that your opponents blocked the move preceding the throw.

They also have no oki since you can just roll after throw.
No oki huh? 2, F4 check. 2, B4 check. 7 frame hard knockdowns! to be followed with a mix-up (B2-F2 starters), a command throw, a poke etc.
If you cancel 1 or Jip, 1 to the command throw, it will connect on hit and on block. I've posted a video about this to the Little Kutter Thread.
B, F3 is fairly safe and knocks them down close to you. Has an overhead, anti air strike. :ex is a good armored move to cover distance and wake up too, since it throws opponent down. You can also MB the move to enhance it if you need the extra damage to finish an opponent off.
Projectiles are versatile and can nullify most enemy projectiles. Recovery of the projectiles is there to balance them. If they come at you before Ferra is back, you have F2, B121, 5 frame poke and mentioned 7 frame hard knockdowns.
F2 isn't a bad punisher.
Meter building ain't hard, they get X-ray quite fast. Little Kutter, Tuck 'n' Charge & Boss Toss all day.
Ferra/Torr has many quick attacks and godlike pokes. Until Ferra recovers, Torr gets Lackey D1, a 5 frame move with great reach. Ferra jab 9 frame D1 is only -1 on block, is +19 on hit, has great reach and anti-air potential. D3 is 6 frames, recovers very fast and is +14 on hit. D4 has great reach and great frame adv. on hit but pushes opp. back.
As you can see, many cons you mentioned are untrue upon closer inspection. There's no reason to pan a character/variation so rashly. Ferra/Torr Vicious has what it takes to be competitive and I think we 're still scratching the surface about them..

Last edited:

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I need some clarification. So if I do Pain/Gain, is it like Bane where I get armor on my specials until the buff is gone? Or is it I get armor only for the first few seconds after I use Pain/Gain. Is the armor only on my specials, or all attacks, or just on even if I move/jump? Finally, does he have an extra bonus at level 3 where he breaks armor with certain moves (command throw?).

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
when you use pain n' gain you are given armor for a short window after using it. unfortunately it doesn't persist after that so you won't be armored during attacks or specials. It basically lasts through your recovery frames but you get 2-3 hits depending on what level it is pumped up to.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
when you use pain n' gain you are given armor for a short window after using it. unfortunately it doesn't persist after that so you won't be armored during attacks or specials. It basically lasts through your recovery frames but you get 2-3 hits depending on what level it is pumped up to.
Thanks. Can't say I'm anything other than disappointed...

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
So wouldn't Ferra constantly be getting poked by Torr's head spikes in their alt costume? Must be painful.

KevinCow

Noob
Is there anything that can be done against fast rushdown characters? This has always been a weakness of mine in fighting games, but it seems especially bad with Ferra/Torr. I got destroyed at a tournament on Saturday because of this. I could get a few pokes in here and there, but all of their good combo starters have too much startup and just left me open for a full combo from my opponent, who was playing Kitana. It was all I could do block and pray.

NHDR

Noob
Would any of Ferra/Torr's variations be considered safe rushdown? Is his AA game dependable? He looks easy to pick up, I just want to know if he's a safe/safe-ish character.

Zaccel

Noob
Not exactly an earth-shaking discovery, but Pain & Gain seems to build twice as much meter as Kano or Kotal's steroids. Might be the two-step process going on during the stab; I can only guess. This would be badass if Ruthless had a cancellable hard knockdown string, but alas. Soft knockdowns may work--I've only tested against Sub-Zero, but juggling into 4xxP&G seems to work. The armour eats a reversal slide and enables a punish. Not sure how useful that is if they just roll away, though. 'Roided Bowl Girl or Ferra Toss is perhaps cute, but spending 5% on that feels iffy.

Pandamoniumz

Don't Listen, Save Money
Not exactly an earth-shaking discovery, but Pain & Gain seems to build twice as much meter as Kano or Kotal's steroids. Might be the two-step process going on during the stab; I can only guess. This would be badass if Ruthless had a cancellable hard knockdown string, but alas. Soft knockdowns may work--I've only tested against Sub-Zero, but juggling into 4xxP&G seems to work. The armour eats a reversal slide and enables a punish. Not sure how useful that is if they just roll away, though. 'Roided Bowl Girl or Ferra Toss is perhaps cute, but spending 5% on that feels iffy.
Yea i've been mostly labbing Ruthless to find stuff. I usually end in b121~P&G as it seems like it recovers faster than 4~P&G. Also I've been ending most combos with 2f4 or b1212. Its not worth the slight loss in damage to have to waste P&G time working your way back in. Still, recovery on it far too long and there are basically no "safe" ways to get the buff off, and buffs always seem to come at the cost of Oki. I think they should add one or two things to get this variant to play like I imagined it would.

1) A string (something like b12 2+4) that incorporates P&G into the string and leaves them relatively close. Doesn't even have to be hard KD. Animation could be like torr grabbing them, ferra stabbing torr, and torr delivering an angered super hard splat punch. Make it not deal much damage on its own, and still cost F/T 5% life.

2) Let ex CMD grab also build a stack of P&G. Give F/T a reason to use meter, and end in something that will leave the opponent full screen. There is still a tradeoff there for a character that really can have a rough time getting in.

I want to devote my time to this variation, as roided out Torr doing 50% up with bnb combos is awesome to me. I also like the damage vs buff tradeoffs you theoretically should have to make, and the life cost you take for choosing to buff potential damage. It just doesn't play how I'm sure everyone envisioned it would. At this time, its just flat out worse by the other two variations by a pretty significant margin.

Can anyone give me some basic gameplay tips on how to learn Lackey Torr? I'm talking basic pokes/traps/footsies as well as simple BnB's. I've been messing around in the lab and here's what I came up with so far...

d+1
d+4
4, bf+2
b+1, 2, 1 (hitconfirm to final or tick throw on block)
b+2 strings seem good but I have no idea how to set up that super-slow overhead.
What is the point of bf+3...? Am I missing something that makes this move somehow useful?
How can I work f+2 into combos/pokes? Seems like it's good after a bf+2?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Discovery (or should I say "publication"?) of new properties of PnG makes that variation look much more interesting. I wonder if it will eventually replace Vicious as to-go non-Lackey variation.