What's new

Question F4 into Ice clone

ryublaze

Noob
I tried the B1,2 and B1,D4 thing before. I'm a little iffy about it cuz I think the opponent can react to the 2 after B1 cuz it takes 24 frames of execution and you're giving your opponent more holes to armor out (between B1 and D4, and between D4 and your followup 2,1).

B1 XX D4/3 is a viable strategy even if it's slightly negative because of how slow the 2 in B12 comes out. You have to be on point though with your poke.

Dark_Rob

Noob
do me a favour and discuss b1 xx d4 after 212 and in general.
I see the mixup with B1 and then either cancel with 2(overhead) or D4(low) But its another one where I ask why? What if b1 hit but I had already decided to do D4? I lost my combo. Its like people who do 2,1 instead of 2,1,2 then they get all stupified when the 1 hits and they just D4 or D4>slide. Whereas if they had done 2,1,2 from the start its very easy to hit confirm into ice blast and get your damage. This is the danger with trying to play Subzero as a mixup character. Your just as likely to mixup yourself up as well as your opponent.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I see the mixup with B1 and then either cancel with 2(overhead) or D4(low) But its another one where I ask why? What if b1 hit but I had already decided to do D4? I lost my combo. Its like people who do 2,1 instead of 2,1,2 then they get all stupified when the 1 hits and they just D4 or D4>slide. Whereas if they had done 2,1,2 from the start its very easy to hit confirm into ice blast and get your damage. This is the danger with trying to play Subzero as a mixup character. Your just as likely to mixup yourself up as well as your opponent.
even if you mash d4 you can still press 2 on a hit confirm and just continue along with your combo, you can also bait someone to interrupt your d4 but with a greater reward than an overall b12 blockstring

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
if d4 is blocked you got the brady machinegun pressure or the denzel style d4 clone, you get 2% chip compared to 5% of the 212/214 and 16/18% of a bar compared to 26% of 212 clone/214 clone.

The difference is Smoke gets a huge payoff for making you block low. Plus B2,3>smoke bomb is hit confirmable and even on block its pretty safe. And on hit it can lead to 80% combos. Sub on the hand has a slow ass overhead thats totally unsafe and isnt hit confirmable so even after all this "conditioning" your opponent still might block it.
Im not saying I dont use D4 to do exactly this either. I think we all do. But after a hit b1,2,1 when we already have stupid advantage and a free meter building block string/throw mixup? It just doesnt seem like the time or place to do it to me.
pretty sure b23 is not hitconfirmable, except for in the corner

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
if d4 is blocked you got the brady machinegun pressure or the denzel style d4 clone, you get 2% chip compared to 5% of the 212/214 and 16/18% of a bar compared to 26% of 212 clone/214 clone.
And yet, after a B121 it's NOT acceptable to end up with THE SAME THING AS THIS in terms of what you can do and the chip/meter you get?

lol

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And yet, after a B121 it's NOT acceptable to end up with THE SAME THING AS THIS in terms of what you can do and the chip/meter you get?

lol
oh, you mean other than the fact that b1 is full combo hit confirmable, its a legit mixup straight off the bat and it can bait punishable moves, doesnt lead to a very unsafe mixup and even on a bad mixup isnt punishable by combo of choice?

yep, totally the same thing :coffee:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
oh, you mean other than the fact that b1 is full combo hit confirmable, its a legit mixup straight off the bat and it can bait punishable moves, doesnt lead to a very unsafe mixup and even on a bad mixup isnt punishable by combo of choice?

yep, totally the same thing :coffee:
You can't hit confirm one hit man.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
F4 is a longer duration... yet you can't hit confirm it. So how it B1 hit confirmable?

Good thing I use B1... just gotta learn to hitconfirm it, if that's true.
because theres a small window where you can input the freeze, with b1 you could be mashing d4 but still press 2 to hit confirm for full combo, try it in practice mode, do b1 and mash d4, you'll still get the 2 out.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
because theres a small window where you can input the freeze, with b1 you could be mashing d4 but still press 2 to hit confirm for full combo, try it in practice mode, do b1 and mash d4, you'll still get the 2 out.
Good stuff man. :)

Here I was just doing B1 and going straight to D4 or doing B12 instead. lol

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Good stuff man. :)

Here I was just doing B1 and going straight to D4 or doing B12 instead. lol
only problem is that there are so many damn outcomes that i think its not that worth it.

jump clone/22
interrupt clone/block
poke block

overall its not worth it vs chars who can interrupt b12 and its still iffy on those who cant, only reason this will work is because of online, just wanna see if something else can be done with it.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Guys remember one thing, and I said it before, even if some of these things do have the potential to lead to something, when you try to play Subzero as a mixup character very often you just end up mixing up yourself and getting alot less damage because of it. Hes just not that type of character. In almost every situation youd be better off going for max damage/standard BnBs/best meter building option.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Guys remember one thing, and I said it before, even if some of these things do have the potential to lead to something, when you try to play Subzero as a mixup character very often you just end up mixing up yourself and getting alot less damage because of it. Hes just not that type of character. In almost every situation youd be better off going for max damage/standard BnBs/best meter building option.
Sometimes we try to re-invent the wheel.

He can mixup on good reads... and setups. He can't just throw them out there and hope for the best... like certain characters.