What's new

Question F4 into Ice clone

coolwhip

Noob
This is why ice puddle works... everyone trying to be the same old cookie cutter subs, people know what to expect. Gotta mix it up if you want to be successful.

Not saying F4 clone is a good thing to do, but it's not like it's going to kill you.
But doing something different for the sake of doing something different isn't really the answer, especially when there isn't any benefit that could come out of it. If the best thing someone can say about F4 clone is that "it's not going to kill you" then you shouldn't really use it. The real question is, how does F4 clone help, and is it better than other alternatives? Can it be useful in some match-ups? I think the answer is no.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Theres lots of reasons why not. But its cool, to each his own.
Maybe so and it's good to know those reasons, but if you are SOOO worried about not doing this or that b/c you MAY be blown up... you might as well not even play. There's 45346 scenarios of what can blow you up where.

Sometimes, you gotta say, fuck it and just throw shit out there.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
But doing something different for the sake of doing something different isn't really the answer, especially when there isn't any benefit that could come out of it. If the best thing someone can say about F4 clone is that "it's not going to kill you" then you shouldn't really use it. The real question is, how does F4 clone help, and is it better than other alternatives? Can it be useful in some match-ups? I think the answer is no.
IDK, maybe he likes to do naked F4 b/c no one ever attacks right after b/c they're waiting for ice blast or slide to blow them up? Then they notice he does naked F4... and he throws F4 clone. BLOWN UP. (I don't do this, just a random example I thought of)

Don't rule anything out b/c other people say it's shit. Try it out and see what happens. If something works for you, then kudos.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Maybe so and it's good to know those reasons, but if you are SOOO worried about not doing this or that b/c you MAY be blown up... you might as well not even play. There's 45346 scenarios of what can blow you up where.

Sometimes, you gotta say, fuck it and just throw shit out there.
Normally I agree with that statement. Im just wondering what your gaining from any of this. Youve already got your advantage after landing B1,2,1. Why do you need to throw out a D4 that MIGHT hit just on a gamble to get back the same situation your already in? The gamble just doesnt make sense to me when youve ALREADY got that advantage from B1,2,1.
F4 ice clone is the same to me. If your going to gamble then make the gamble worth it. F4>Ice blast. Like I said I would smack myself if I F4>Ice clone only to see F4 hit him. Id kick myself for not having ice blasted.

NKZero

Noob
I go for the Qwark28 mix-up after B121 on hit. I do B1 and either D4 or link the 2 and if B12 is blocked it's 0 and I can cancel into clone. If B12 hits I get to repeat the loop. Or if I B1 (pause) then D4 and it hits I have big frame advantage and if blocked it's 0. B1 is sorely under-used in the neutral game. It hits mid doesn't it?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Normally I agree with that statement. Im just wondering what your gaining from any of this. Youve already got your advantage after landing B1,2,1. Why do you need to throw out a D4 that MIGHT hit just on a gamble to get back the same situation your already in? The gamble just doesnt make sense to me when youve ALREADY got that advantage from B1,2,1.
F4 ice clone is the same to me. If your going to gamble then make the gamble worth it. F4>Ice blast. Like I said I would smack myself if I F4>Ice clone only to see F4 hit him. Id kick myself for not having ice blasted.
You know how everyone knows not to block low vs Smoke... (I'm not sure if this example will apply to anyone but me... but anywho) yet when they start throwing 356 low pokes, my brain says... hey dummy block low, don't let them have that advantage... then I'm blown up by B2 or 3D12.

It's the same kind of thing... They know not to block low after B121 but maybe you D4ing makes them randomly block low and you blow them up with F4 freeze?

IDK I like doing random junk so people don't get a read on me as much.

coolwhip

Noob
IDK, maybe he likes to do naked F4 b/c no one ever attacks right after b/c they're waiting for ice blast or slide to blow them up? Then they notice he does naked F4... and he throws F4 clone. BLOWN UP. (I don't do this, just a random example I thought of)

Don't rule anything out b/c other people say it's shit. Try it out and see what happens. If something works for you, then kudos.
F+4 is -13 on block. It's a huge risk to throw a naked F+4 without cancelling it. If you're going to take that risk, even if you're trying to set up a subsequent F4 ice clone, might as well do F4 ice blast.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I go for the Qwark28 mix-up after B121 on hit. I do B1 and either D4 or link the 2 and if B12 is blocked it's 0 and I can cancel into clone. If B12 hits I get to repeat the loop. Or if I B1 (pause) then D4 and it hits I have big frame advantage and if blocked it's 0. B1 is sorely under-used in the neutral game. It hits mid doesn't it?
I like B1 as well.

except you keep giving out 5% chip and 26% of a bar every damn time you wanna condition your opponent, d4 after b121 is stupid because noone with over 75 IQ would ever purposefully waste all that advantage, its pretty damn obvious what youre trying to do and "eventually" isnt good enough when the risk/reward for the mixup is total shit and you end up wasting guaranteed damage and meter that might as well be your hp.

my 0.02$
How are you giving anything away? If they refuse to block low, why the hell not D4? 212 is still guaranteed for the most part and then you just added 3% damage to it. That shit adds up, and the strategy could be nothing more then that. Stacking damage. You're not at all saying "HEY I HAVE F4".

Which is all, of course, based on opponent reads, meter/HP ratio and character, but I didn't mention anything about that. Would I waste the advantage on say Kabal or Raiden? Fuck no. Would I go for it on a character with shitty pokes, slow normals and lack of armor? Hell yeah.

Dark_Rob

Noob
You know how everyone knows not to block low vs Smoke... (I'm not sure if this example will apply to anyone but me... but anywho) yet when they start throwing 356 low pokes, my brain says... hey dummy block low, don't let them have that advantage... then I'm blown up by B2 or 3D12.

It's the same kind of thing... They know not to block low after B121 but maybe you D4ing makes them randomly block low and you blow them up with F4 freeze?

IDK I like doing random junk so people don't get a read on me as much.
The difference is Smoke gets a huge payoff for making you block low. Plus B2,3>smoke bomb is hit confirmable and even on block its pretty safe. And on hit it can lead to 80% combos. Sub on the hand has a slow ass overhead thats totally unsafe and isnt hit confirmable so even after all this "conditioning" your opponent still might block it.
Im not saying I dont use D4 to do exactly this either. I think we all do. But after a hit b1,2,1 when we already have stupid advantage and a free meter building block string/throw mixup? It just doesnt seem like the time or place to do it to me.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
How are you giving anything away? If they refuse to block low, why the hell not D4? 212 is still guaranteed for the most part and then you just added 3% damage to it. That shit adds up, and the strategy could be nothing more then that. Stacking damage. You're not at all saying "HEY I HAVE F4".

Which is all, of course, based on opponent reads, meter/HP ratio and character, but I didn't mention anything about that. Would I waste the advantage on say Kabal or Raiden? Fuck no. Would I go for it on a character with shitty pokes, slow normals and lack of armor? Hell yeah.
please read dark robs post...

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The difference is Smoke gets a huge payoff for making you block low. Plus B2,3>smoke bomb is hit confirmable and even on block its pretty safe. And on hit it can lead to 80% combos. Sub on the hand has a slow ass overhead thats totally unsafe and isnt hit confirmable so even after all this "conditioning" your opponent still might block it.
Im not saying I dont use D4 to do exactly this either. I think we all do. But after a hit b1,2,1 when we already have stupid advantage and a free meter building block string/throw mixup? It just doesnt seem like the time or place to do it to me.
TL DR

Sub doesnt pull off the threat required or can afford to give away free damage when he so rarely gets it.

I don't know, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think a lot of people underestimate the fear in crossing up or counterpoking Sub-Zero.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah, I know it makes sense to just take the blockstring, so I get what you're saying... I just don't see why it's a huge no no. lol

I do stupid junk like... (in the corner)

B121 B1 D4 212 freeze NJP ice puddle JIP B121 212 clone. (This is something that I actually landed the other day... still lost b/c I was on chip damage health... it's also why I did it... but being random can work, is the point).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
that was the mixup of the might salvificblood, everyone was bitching when we were saying its viable.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Yeah, I know it makes sense to just take the blockstring, so I get what you're saying... I just don't see why it's a huge no no. lol

I do stupid junk like... (in the corner)

B121 B1 D4 212 freeze NJP ice puddle JIP B121 212 clone. (This is something that I actually landed the other day... still lost b/c I was on chip damage health... it's also why I did it... but being random can work, is the point).
Im not saying its a huge no no. If you hit it, great. Im just talking strategy and telling you all the stuff Tom brady has crammed into my head and why it all makes sense to me.

NKZero

Noob
that was the mixup of the might salvificblood, everyone was bitching when we were saying its viable.
Oh right, it is very viable. It actually gives him a decent "pressure" option. Besides I start to go for more B1's now after D4 hits because I get a free mix-up every time.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Im not saying its a huge no no. If you hit it, great. Im just talking strategy and telling you all the stuff Tom brady has crammed into my head and why it all makes sense to me.
Sadly, we can't all be Tom Brady when it comes to playing Sub Zero. :(

Just b/c I think something is viable and don't agree with you Rob, doesn't mean I don't value your input on the Sub Zero strategy. So, don't take it the wrong way. :)

ryublaze

Noob
I got a good chuckle out of some of these posts and all the needless swearing lol.

My personal opinion but I almost never do F4 clone and if I do it's usually if I don't want to take the risk of F4 ice ball. I don't think there's anything wrong with F4 clone but you get more from a blockstring or throw. I'll D4 sometimes after B1,2,1 if they don't have meter and the opponent is scared to block low because he's low on health.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Sadly, we can't all be Tom Brady when it comes to playing Sub Zero. :(

Just b/c I think something is viable and don't agree with you Rob, doesn't mean I don't value your input on the Sub Zero strategy. So, don't take it the wrong way. :)
Im not taking it the wrong way. No worries. Debate is good.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Brady is probably coming to my house soon to get ready for NEC. Maybe we will do a Bradycast on all this stuff.