What's new

Guide F+4 Reset Combos

So are there any competition-viable combos that you guys see for this? So far, I haven't really even been able to land the damned thing, and none of the combos I see being discussed seem terribly practical.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
No. It has to be set up in the corner, you have to have meter, and the opponent can't have meter to break your combo. So, there are oppertunities to use it but it is few and far between. So, in my opinion, NO!!!!!

Altsa

Im starting to think this is actually viable. So far I´ve been doing a "basic" 82% 2 bar reset combo from the middle of the training level to the corner and I´ve got 85%(and rising) succes rating doing it. Hell, I also managed to do it 9 times in a row(most likely going to beat this record later today lol).

In the form of jip. 3d12 32 4 f+4 ENsmokebomb 32 3d12 jk.airthrow ENsmokebomb damage as 36%+36%+10%

To time the reset right, you have to hit the opponent AS SOON AS possible with the 2nd hit of the f+4, while NOT actually causing the bomb to hit the opponent while he is still in the air(if this happens the combo deals 39%)

So after the 2nd hit of the f+4 hits, first there is the timing window is where the bomb hits them mid-air, followed by the "reset timing". After that there are 2 or more timing windows for the 10% unblockable bomb and for the blockable bomb. There might be more timing windows for the same outcome but I dont have anyone to test them with as of now. Apparently the "reset timing" can be done later as the reset does work midscreen but I haven´t been able to test the consistency that either.

With a little practise you can tell after the f+4 hits whether or not the reset will happen with 100% accuracy. Note that I always allow the 1st hit of f+4 to wiff.

On demand, I can make a video of this but it will be in webcam-quality.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
KT - why are you saying smoke build meter slowly he doesnt. his meter gain isnt slow at all. just uses EVERY single move he has

hardwire

Noob
KT - why are you saying smoke build meter slowly he doesnt. his meter gain isnt slow at all. just uses EVERY single move he has
saying he builds slower then others

ya its not going to take you 3 hours to build an xray but it is going to take you longer then say kung wow

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I'm gonna go ahead and say f+4 reset is 100% do-able in a "real" match and a viable tactic.

I was online just now (I know) and was able to do it with relative consistency in the lag shit storm of the internet.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
I'm gonna go ahead and say f+4 reset is 100% do-able in a "real" match and a viable tactic.

I was online just now (I know) and was able to do it with relative consistency in the lag shit storm of the internet.
100% agree! Ive been able to get it quite often when playing against my friends. At worst if you miss the reset, you can still dish out 10% of damage with the OTG. I know sometimes it can get blocked if you input the f+4 incorrectly, but its a worthy gamble imo.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Cyrax's resets were pretty much his BnB combos for alot of his playstyle, he can really just bring you into a reset as soon as he sees it viable, but with Smoke it really is just a lottery, where the situation arises with yourself with enough meter to perform the combo and resets, because it is a double if not triple reset to get insane damage like 60/70% and up, and to see your opposition with no meter for breaker, because they will gain more while you perform the combo, and also to be in the correct positioning for it to happen, because it is very hard to get this reset down from anywhere on the screen. The lottery part comes in where you perform the F+4 Smoke Bomb, the execution and timing is strict and random, so that you might get a reset one time, and another time you could just use a meter for a 10% damage. You cannot also say that this makes smoke overpowered, because with the other tools that he has, although his full potential is still being discovered, he really has to be played in his own way and not just as a character that breaks you apart with a 100% combo at every opening, because this opening will be few and far between.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
and why exactly would a 100% damage reset not need to be patched?
I was trolling.

But serious talk I'm afraid if they patch this they might go into an unnecessary overhaul of the entire character i.e ( kung Lao, Ermac, Cyrax, Cage)
Hopefully they will patch this correctly.
Plus its a gamble to do in the first place and the 100%'s is with three bars

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
well tbh i dont think that smoke bombs are supposed to combo and reset the counter the way that they currently do in these combo's so they would probably fix that, as it is a broken mechanic that is being exploited, much like the DHC glitches in MVC3 though we are just going to have to make the best of it while we can and if they patch it out then find something else broken to focus on! :p

You don't mean take them out of normal combos I hope. Getting rid of this reset is one thing but elmiminating the ability to combo into smoke coulds would be a bit too much imo. My only concern with eliminating the reset is that we might lose the 10% OTG option after combos as well.

You don't mean take them out of normal combos I hope. Getting rid of this reset is one thing but elmiminating the ability to combo into smoke coulds would be a bit too much imo. My only concern with eliminating the reset is that we might lose the 10% OTG option after combos as well.
nah that should stay in

Altsa

I also fear the possible loss of the 10% bomb option after airthrow. If they remove the reset, the best way I see is to remove f+4 completely or tweak it instead of touching the bomb.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Smoke doesn't even need this to be successful and now that he has this I have had some really unfair fights. I am absolutly destroying Sectors right now. Whenever I have meter and am in the corner I can land this a decent amount of the time even online. So I am changing my opinion on the fact that it is viable in a fight, because it is. Smoke is becoming too much for some characters. A good Johnny Cage still gives me hell though.

WOOT! Just pulled off my first unblockable reset on a guy online! He let me finish the fatality but he quit after that.

I think I've found the most consistent setup for this. It can work up to 2/3 of the stage away from the corner, although it is much easier the further the opponent is from the wall when the f4 hits. The combo is:

3d12, 3d12, 3d12, b2 xx smoke bomb, f4 xx EX smoke bomb, whatever your preferred ender is. With the corner loop into 214 you can get up to 77% off of this.

In my experience it's much easier if you get both hits with f4. If the opponent is already in the corner by the time the smoke bomb connects, you need their head to be just a bit above Smoke's waist when the f4 hits; i generally do it right as . Difficult, but doable with practice!

One more thing - if the opponent reaches the wall during the 3d12 juggle, b2 will whiff. Use d1 or d4 xx smoke bomb instead.

I wonder if the opponent falls faster from the smoke bomb the more hits you have in the combo...that could lead to some easier alternatives if that's true.

KT Smith NYC,

In the corner (especially, mid screen...eh), it seems that the 214 string can also reset with EX Bomb, im not creative or good enough to come up with good combos so I wanted to see if you could experiment with it. Just something I came across.

*Edit* Apparently b3 midscreen works as a reset too if timed right. Looks like Smoke could take over as reset king! But once again, you are far more skilled than I am, so please test this.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Far more skilled than you? How can you be so sure lol.

It seems like what you're describing is an iteration of the original Tom Brady naked smoke bomb reset; the one where if a human player is holding block it won't work. There are many many set ups for this; it has a chance of happening whenever an opponent is juggled to a high fall level and then an ex bomb is thrown at them as they hit the ground. As far as I can tell, the only true reset is out of f4.

Could be wrong though. You could test with 2 controllers to see if it's blockable.

Trust me, I'm sure lol.

The way ive been doing it with the 214 string is I launch them with either d312 or 32 followed by a njp and then the 214. Right before they hit the ground I throw an EX Bomb and it resets the hit counter and puts them in the air again for a juggle. I'll have to test with 2 controllers to be sure, but it works so far vs other players no problem.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Ok, so the patch is out for 360, but wont be for ps3 until next week (apparently).

So could someone with a 360 test to see if the resets got removed? There is nothing about Smoke that I've seen in the patch notes.

Altsa

Living in EU so we most likely wont get the patch on ps3 ever(you know what I mean), but I´d still like to know if the resests still exist. Can you do them in the training mode? The f+4 is still in the game? Ex bomb after airthrow is still there? If they both are, maybe the resets are still in, too.