What's new

Guide F+4 Reset Combos

I played with this a lot last night in the lab. I was able to pull it off once out of 50 or so times midscreen. The timing is super strict as we all know so I would personally make sure that when you practice you at least get it so that the EN Smoke Bomb hits every time even if it does not reset.

I was also able to do corner/near corner combos off the reset using simpler combos before the first smoke bomb and then landing some hits before the f4.

ie. 3,D1,2,dash,3,2,Smoke Bomb,3,D1,2,F4,EN Smoke Bomb,3,D1,2,JK,Air Throw

I kind of liked the timing better off of that combo since you can walk or dash into the falling opponent before the F4. When you do F4 after the smoke bomb then the opponent just reappears and is falling. That is just my personal preference.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
TrickyNick said:
Smoke has no problem getting meter at all. Smoke away+smoke bombs+ shake on reaction to projectiles. This can be done a few times during a match for a quick bit of meter.
Compared to other characters, Smoke builds meter very slowly.

Smoke drift, shake, and whiffed specials all build negligible amounts of meter. Smoke drift needs to be done 45 times to get a single bar. The others need to be done 17 times. True, the quickest way to build meter with Smoke is to get them to block smoke bombs from full screen, but you it still takes 8 blocked bombs to get one bar. Not very quick.

Otherwise, Smoke doesn't lay down pressure with zoning or rushdown so he doesn't get much meter from blocked normals.

These combine to make a slow meter-building character.

That being said, I would totally go for the reset every time but only as a wall carry or corner combo. That way, there is no chance of the bomb whiffing and the worst that happens is the one bar is turned into 10% uncsaled damage. Still worth it.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
If it is an EX smoke bomb you are using I think they can block it just like the other restet combo, but I could be wrong. Looks like a training mode thing.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
If it is an EX smoke bomb you are using I think they can block it just like the other restet combo, but I could be wrong. Looks like a training mode thing.
I confirmed that it is unblockable in RustyShakleford's thread when he first discovered the reset.

That thread seems to be mysteriously gone though... not even in the netherrealm forum...

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
WOW!!!! Well at least it can only be done near a corner and it seems you have to have EX meter. So it's not a crying shame, but it needs to be fixed.

arydious

Noob
WOW!!!! Well at least it can only be done near a corner and it seems you have to have EX meter. So it's not a crying shame, but it needs to be fixed.
I agree it needs to be fixed but its still nice to have something, but of course im biased as smoke is my main. I am in large debate to fully train for this or continue as normal in preparation fo this getting patched.

I agree it needs to be fixed but its still nice to have something, but of course im biased as smoke is my main. I am in large debate to fully train for this or continue as normal in preparation fo this getting patched.
I have been training on this but instead of doing what the combo videos show where you juggle 3 times and then bomb, f4, en bomb reset. I have been doing my normal combos and instead of jk, air throw, I do the f4 en bomb. That way once they take it out I will just go back to normal.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Ok the numbers are in..

Smoke can get the following damage using the reset.

1 bar 77%

2 bars 111%

3 bars 140%

ALL OF THESE COMBOS ARE DONE "MIDSCREEN".

The 2 and 3 bar combos are so rediculously hard its not funny.

Now i just need to record them, wich is easier said then done.

The damage on the 1 bar combo rivals cyrax's 1 bar reset! the 2 bar and 3 bar totally destroy him!

arydious

Noob
Ok the numbers are in..

Smoke can get the following damage using the reset.

1 bar 77%

2 bars 111%

3 bars 140%

ALL OF THESE COMBOS ARE DONE "MIDSCREEN".

The 2 and 3 bar combos are so rediculously hard its not funny.

Now i just need to record them, wich is easier said then done.

The damage on the 1 bar combo rivals cyrax's 1 bar reset! the 2 bar and 3 bar totally destroy him!
Would love to see a video on it. Is it practical or just for show?

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Would love to see a video on it. Is it practical or just for show?
Ive got a big smoke video in the works. The 1 bar combo would be the most practical out of all them if you could call any of them practical.

The 3 bar combo requires the stages to be about twice as long as what they are now. litterally it juggles them from one side to the other. I just hope i can get it captured, Its definetly the hardest combo i have ever come across.

I think i might be able to get the 1 bar upto 80%

arydious

Noob
Ive got a big smoke video in the works. The 1 bar combo would be the most practical out of all them if you could call any of them practical.

The 3 bar combo requires the stages to be about twice as long as what they are now. litterally it juggles them from one side to the other. I just hope i can get it captured, Its definetly the hardest combo i have ever come across.

I think i might be able to get the 1 bar upto 80%
Nice, looking forward to it

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I've been busting my ass trying to get a corner reset that starts with 214 and after every combination of strings I could think of I kind of overlooked the obvious:

214 > smoke bomb > 32 > 32 > 32 > f4 > EX smoke bomb > 32 > 32 > 32 > 214

Linking in the f4 after the three 32's is so tight I thought it wasn't possible and was about to give up when I finally caught it correctly.

SZSR

Noob
I've been busting my ass trying to get a corner reset that starts with 214 and after every combination of strings I could think of I kind of overlooked the obvious:

Linking in the f4 after the three 32's is so tight I thought it wasn't possible and was about to give up when I finally caught it correctly.
Sounds really cool, and pretty adequate in a match if you can get an opponent in the corner.

Do you know if you can follow up the 2, 1, 4 at the end with an :en Smoke bomb unblockable damage?

If you can, he can probably be a corner monster with finishing combos.

arydious

Noob

Man i can barely get in the 3, 32's I generally just do two of them and then f4. Can you land it consistently or is it dropped a lot?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Man i can barely get in the 3, 32's I generally just do two of them and then f4. Can you land it consistently or is it dropped a lot?
Get it every time. There's actually a lot of wiggle room to get 3x 32 into 214.

Sneaking in a f4 is much much harder.

arydious

Noob
I just realized my issue is connecting with 3 23's at 3d12 lol, i see this is actually really possible i just landed it 5 for 5. So VERY NICE!!

From midscreen > corner I've been using this

jip > 3d12 > 32 > 4 xx bomb > wait just a few frames, no dash > f4 xx EX bomb > 32 > 32 > 214 > invisibility.

It seems like when I practice and this is my first combo of the day, I'll hit it about 5 times in a row. But the more I do it, the less consistent I get with it. T____T

EDIT: Tony-T not to be ungrateful but how's your Smoke video coming along? I'm super excited to see it!

TONY-T

Mad scientist
From midscreen > corner I've been using this

jip > 3d12 > 32 > 4 xx bomb > wait just a few frames, no dash > f4 xx EX bomb > 32 > 32 > 214 > invisibility.

It seems like when I practice and this is my first combo of the day, I'll hit it about 5 times in a row. But the more I do it, the less consistent I get with it. T____T

EDIT: Tony-T not to be ungrateful but how's your Smoke video coming along? I'm super excited to see it!
Ive got about 11 combos capped so far, i need about another 19 or so. I capped the 1 bar 80% midscreen combo last night. Tonight im gonna try for the 111% 2 bar midscreen one.

I have all the remmaining combos in my head and i know they will all work 100%, the problem is that it takes time. This is easily the hardest combo vid i have ever had to make and the reason being is because the reset is so random. I would just ask everyone to be patient. I can guarantee the vid will be very entertaining. :)

Ive got about 11 combos capped so far, i need about another 19 or so. I capped the 1 bar 80% midscreen combo last night. Tonight im gonna try for the 111% 2 bar midscreen one.

I have all the remmaining combos in my head and i know they will all work 100%, the problem is that it takes time. This is easily the hardest combo vid i have ever had to make and the reason being is because the reset is so random. I would just ask everyone to be patient. I can guarantee the vid will be very entertaining. :)
How are you landing the reset after the sb hits? I like to jump in and wait till they are about half way down the screen then hit 1 or 2 and follow it with f4.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I wonder how long it will be before they can patch this out... I doubt it will be in the upcoming patch. Seems like it's too late to include.
After playing it more I don't think there needs to be a patch for this. Just patch the fact that you can do it multiple times in a row.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
After playing it more I don't think there needs to be a patch for this. Just patch the fact that you can do it multiple times in a row.
I disagree; there should not be a way to lock someone down for that much damage, even if it is a gamble.

If I had my way we would get a global damage nerf. I think MK9 gets too much damage out of combos on the whole.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I disagree; there should not be a way to lock someone down for that much damage, even if it is a gamble.

If I had my way we would get a global damage nerf. I think MK9 gets too much damage out of combos on the whole.
Now an overall nerf I can deal with and is needed, but that will likely be the next mk game, unfortunately.