What's new

Exploiting plus frames

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
*Chernyy Volk mode ON: Make d3 +16 but without the pushback of d4 and keep it's low profiling properties. That will make Noob fair now.
This reminds me of another frame data thing I can't believe i didn't mention earlier, because my buddy;s other main is Noob. I've had an issue with Noob throwing a d1 (which I block) and following up with a B1-starter that knocks me out of my retaliatory (mashed) d1 despite me having a roughly 6-frame advantage. Have you ever been able to pull that off with Noob?

This reminds me of another frame data thing I can't believe i didn't mention earlier, because my buddy;s other main is Noob. I've had an issue with Noob throwing a d1 (which I block) and following up with a B1-starter that knocks me out of my retaliatory (mashed) d1 despite me having a roughly 6-frame advantage. Have you ever been able to pull that off with Noob?
I rarely did that online. For me it usually happens if they block my d3, walk back and try to do an advancing mid (9, 10 or 11f). Even after a blocked d3 I was still in range to land the B1 1+3 KB. It's funky stuff that happens online. I'll lab it tonight tho to see what's going on.

I guess it's to practice the timings after you block a poke. I think that happens if you mistime your d1 (It should be faster than 7f).

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I bounce around several - Shao, Nightwolf, Skarlet, and Kano primarily. I'm also messing with Sindel but as bad as her downpoke game is, don't bother, I know what to expect there. :p

Zviko

Noob
I don't believe that unless youre a Jedi Knight. Go record me how you set the dummy in practice mode to crouch and block random combos and if you get 10 d1 jails in a row and instantly block on block, I believe you.
Someone actually asked me to do this before and I admit, I couldn't do 10 in a row. Maybe you do have to be Jedi Knight for that but that doesn't mean you can't confirm D1s and D3s. The thing about that challenge is that it's very exhausting, mentally. You can get a few but you'll fuck up eventually. But that's not even the point. It's not about getting S1 jails after D1 consistently. Only once or twice is enough for you to get 60% of their life bar and respect for your down pokes and +frames. It's to make them block. And against those players you'll confirm D1s very easily because you know it's gonna hit before you even throw it out.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
B1 moves his him backwards a little which could give a frame or 2 of wiggle room only on stubby d1s though

Someone actually asked me to do this before and I admit, I couldn't do 10 in a row. Maybe you do have to be Jedi Knight for that but that doesn't mean you can't confirm D1s and D3s.
That absolutely means that you can't hit-confirm that. You're just doing things. When I play without online delay, I can see d3 being hit-confirmable into s1. d1 it's bullshit though and online it's bullshit too.
Online the whole poking system becomes a game of RPS where you just randomly do shit and hope the other guy just doesn't d2 you.

That absolutely means that you can't hit-confirm that. You're just doing things. When I play without online delay, I can see d3 being hit-confirmable into s1. d1 it's bullshit though and online it's bullshit too.
Online the whole poking system becomes a game of RPS where you just randomly do shit and hope the other guy just doesn't d2 you.
That's exactly what's happening atm. I'm playing with a friend and it's not joke that whenever I do successful d1 or d3 I get flat out d2'd. It's so frustrating asf. I can't predict things like that.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Man isn't that how it goes? I constantly throw after successful d1s just because I know another downpoke is usually coming afterward. What happens is eventually he gets tired of getting thrown and instead of stopping the retaliatory downpokes, he starts mashing d2 instead to avoid the throw. Then I get irritated and start trying to spam d2 just to show him up and round and round we go. :D I just really don't enjoy the decision-making in Mk11 very much.

What's sad about this is I feel like the poke game is so dominant at controlling match pacing that some characters can't reliably use half their tools. I love everything about Shao's design aesthetically but when you play him you essentially use D4 and occasionally D3., S1, his D2 of course, his F3 as his fastest mid (even though it doesn't lead to anything), F2 if you're feeling daring, and jumpins. Anything else, including most of his strings, is just dangerous and inefficient.

Last edited:
Man isn't that how it goes? I constantly throw after successful d1s just because I know another downpoke is usually coming afterward. What happens is eventually he gets tired of getting thrown and instead of stopping the retaliatory downpokes, he starts mashing d2 instead to avoid the throw. Then I get irritated and start trying to spam d2 just to show him up and round and round we go. :D I just really don't enjoy the decision-making in Mk11 very much.
Honestly it's something that needs to be fixed imo. Part of me says "Beat it. Adapt to the new system." but another part of me says to stop playing until the pokes are addressed. I know it's a different game, but in MKX I never had this problem. Sektor's S1 was a 7f high and I could still jail with it successfully. Noob also has a 7f S1 but it's so hard to jail so that you don't get disperected.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
that's what i told my buddy tonight, I don't remember the poke system or all this weird frame data stuff being an issue in either IJ2 or MKX. We're both older so he keeps insisting it's reaction time, but I don't buy it.

Gaxkang

Banned
Walkbacks work just as well online. I do this all the time.
People can try their mileage.

In setting up some strings that Sub Zeros typically do...seemed like just one allow for a walk or dash back, not counting the string that is simply punishable by S1 etc anyways.

Using Kano ( 7f d1)

Sub strings (or strike) and what one can do before their upcoming D1 hits you.

b321: d1, sweep, kano ball

f24: Punish with S1 or S2 string etc

f143: dash back, walk back, jump, d1

f2: d1

b21: d1, sweep, kanoball

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
Man, people can't even block a 19f move consistently and you expect me to confirm D1s 10 times in a row which is 3-4f window. All that while also blocking on block and with no other information about my opponent or kounter hit message etc.

Man, people can't even block a 19f move consistently and you expect me to confirm D1s 10 times in a row which is 3-4f window. All that while also blocking on block and with no other information about my opponent or kounter hit message etc.
I don't expect you to do that, man. I'm just saying what I dislike about the game. I don't like the poking system being a 50/50 guess when other fighting games let you hit-confirm single normals into specials.
I think it'd be great if they had some hitstop on pokes so you could actually confirm them.

that's what i told my buddy tonight, I don't remember the poke system or all this weird frame data stuff being an issue in either IJ2 or MKX. We're both older so he keeps insisting it's reaction time, but I don't buy it.
I don't buy it either. My friend knows he can disrespect my pokes on hit and F2, S1 & 21 and just flat out do d2's. Honestly, the game is not enjoyable this way.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Im not sure for everyone else but i have no problems hitconfirming d3. Then again i play on pc without the console inputdelay.

Guess I have no other way than trying to lab d3 to hitconfirm successfully with my 7f S1. It sucks that I'm only limited to 1 poking option to later hit-confirm. D1 could be used only to interrupt attacks, I guess...

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Guess I have no other way than trying to lab d3 to hitconfirm successfully with my 7f S1. It sucks that I'm only limited to 1 poking option to later hit-confirm. D1 could be used only to interrupt attacks, I guess...
What character do you play? 9-15f mids frametrap from most pokes on hit too. If you‘re only limited to highs it‘s pretty shitty but doable after some practice

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Can you jail D1 for Noob into S2?

I've noticed most standing 1's don't jail off of a D1, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Can you jail D1 for Noob into S2?

I've noticed most standing 1's don't jail off of a D1, which I don't think is a bad thing.
Noob's d1 is +11 on hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my S1 is 7f startup. So, in theory, it should jail. D3 is +10 on hit and it jails with S1 (Timing is strict, tho). So I'm wondering why in the hell i'm getting d2'd to dead because of this.

S2 is 8f Startup, it should also jail with either d1 or d3. I'll lab all of this tonight.

If I use b1 it's no problem and they eat the KB, if I make the right read.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Noob's d1 is +11 on hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my S1 is 7f startup. So, in theory, it should jail. D3 is +10 on hit and it jails with S1 (Timing is strict, tho). So I'm wondering why in the hell i'm getting d2'd to dead because of this.

S2 is 8f Startup, it should also jail with either d1 or d3. I'll lab all of this tonight.

If I use b1 it's no problem and they eat the KB, if I make the right read.
Noob's D3 is +12 on hit, which is likely why it works but with a strict timing.

I play Raiden, and I run into the same issue trying to jail a S1 off a D1. The math might technically work out, but I think the problem is the hit box for S1 is higher, or possibly the range is just a touch too short, which is why it's not jailing.

In general I don't think S1's were meant to jail off of D1's. S1 and S1 strings normally seem more like punish strings than strings that were meant to be jailed into.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I usually think of D1 more of as a way to interrupt the opponent or poke out of pressure than an opportunity to try and hit confirm into a jailing string or frame trap or anything.

Im not sure for everyone else but i have no problems hitconfirming d3. Then again i play on pc without the console inputdelay.
I play on console and I can hit-confirm Scorpion's d3 into his s1 if I turn off the online delay. The thing is that most d1s jail into s1 and most d3s jail into s2, which makes me think they designed it that way. Also in one of the patches they corrected most pokes frame advantages so most can jail that way.

Thing is, if it's designed that way why I couldn't confirm d3 into s2 or d1 into s1 if my life depended on it neither offline nor online?

I dunno and I don't like it. You'd think they'd design this game with this great netcode in a way so that offline and online play don't differ too much from each other, but as it stands the whole poke system is trash as soon as you go online, and I don't like that.

Also can't really talk about how it works offline, since I don't have a local scene for this game.