What's new

Exploiting plus frames

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Hey guys,

I could use your wisdom and insight on the best ways to exploit plus frames, especially when the moves only have 1-3 frames of advantage. One of the biggest issues I have with Mk11 is the inability to consistently exploit 1-3 frame advantage moves in situations where people disrespect them and I hard-read that they're doing this.

A friend, who plays Sub Zero and who I've played with for a few years now, has a nearly complete lack of respect for plus frames. The majority of the time after any string, plus-frames or not, he will d1 to interrupt follow-up pressure. I read this frequently and try to interrupt with my own d1 but roughly 1/3 to 1/2 half the time I lose out and get poked AND lose my turn. Occasionally he will throw right after a plus-frame string which often throws me out of my downpoke despite being at several more frames of disadvantage dthan if he'd d1'ed. I can't even describe how much I HATE this. Example strings where this happens a lot are Kano F12+B2 and 112 and Sindel B34+2. The issue with those strings is that at +2 and +3 respectively, it's still really iffy to beat out a 6f d1. I've taken to uber-mashing the follow-up d1 to make it more consistent but it's not really helping.

Option 1: Continue mashing the follow-up d1 and deal with inconsistent results.
Option 2: Block the retaliatory downpoke and try to do something with the 6-frame advantage that gives me. Problem is, if he does a second d1 afterward (which is not uncommon), it restricts reliable options significantly to downpokes or mids faster than 12 frames. That means Kano's B1 and Sindel's... well, nothing. Since B1 only leads to at best a cancelled projectile or kano ball, this option doesn't really lead to anything useful.
Other options: ?

Ultimately, I don't really see the value of moves with small plus-frame advantage against people like my buddy that habitually mash downpokes after essentially everything. Am I missing something? Appreciate feedback. :)

in all seriousness you have to be better at math. keep in mind Sub d1 is 6f. and if you know he will mash and disrespect your plus frame just walk back and whiff punish.

you have to check him with your fastest mid poke when your advantage. but sometimes that wont even matter example jax f4 is +1 and jax fastest poke is d1 7f so we equal if sub mash after that so its not worth it i just walk back and fuck him up on the whiff punish.

DeftMonk

Noob
Exactly like homie said above if ur plus and u know opponent is gonna d1 walk back normal = huge ass combo. Practice the movement in the lab as if u wait and react to d1 to attack ull be too slow. Just shimmy to the side and hit a button into damage.

it's that there aren't enough plus frames to go around combined with low startup mids for you to continue pressure with out risking highs and getting low profiled d1 or d2

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
As stated practice more in the lab. I always take time to know when and how to enforce plus frames with muscle memory and a lot of practice.

Also play as someone with a 9 frame mid? Cassie would get a full combo every time against someone mashing like that. I don't know everyone with a 9 frame mid, but there's gotta be one you like.

Gaxkang

Banned
Since it sounds like it's offline then trying to walk back is something that could be tried.

If it's online, then no.

Otherwise the option 2 OP mentions...that's basically what you do yeah. Just watch out that they don't throw you instead of doing D1.
But there may not be a lot you can do if you land a D1. The game tends to favor being on offense than defense, outside of really unsafe stuff.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I dont know , i play shang and he has a lot of plus frames . For example after a f4 running kick . When I playsomeone new I ALWAYS do b3 after it first time . If they mashed its10f low starter = full combo for me . If they blocked and I know they respect it I can start my throw game . Backing off and whiff punishing is good idea too . Foxy did it a lot with shang . Online has one more factor = lag . If his connection is shit and he knows it allows him to mash , well dont play him lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Since it sounds like it's offline then trying to walk back is something that could be tried.

If it's online, then no.

Otherwise the option 2 OP mentions...that's basically what you do yeah. Just watch out that they don't throw you instead of doing D1.
But there may not be a lot you can do if you land a D1. The game tends to favor being on offense than defense, outside of really unsafe stuff.
Walkbacks work just as well online. I do this all the time.

ryublaze

Noob
Thing with 6f d1 is they dont have much range so you can easily walk back and whiff punish them with a mid

As much as I agree with people here, I do think it’s really dumb that I have to worry about my plus frames being mashed out of. On the other hand, I disrespect Johnny’s plus frames all the time as well. I don’t understand what nrs was going for with the way they designed it p

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
MK11 is a game that you can be disrespectful in general, so if they are -6 or -7 people will try to mash out of it especially if they have 6F D1s, or a 9Fmid. If you're +2 or +3 then you need to enforce them with you fastest mid or as people suggested shimmy and whiff punish.

When I play Kano and they block F12B2 (he's +2) I'll do a D1 and it'll catch them cause I know they tryna mash after that. If you don't enforce your frames, people will steal turns. There aren't many respectful players and honestly, unless you play a character with trash buttons up close, then you shouldn't be respecting + frames either. Obviously, if they're + 6-7 and more then it's probably best to not press buttons but anything under is fair game.

Alternatively, if you play Cassie or a character with a 9F mid (that can be confirmed into a full combo), you can just wait for the poke and once blocked, you let the mid rock. It will work 9/10.

Zviko

Noob
I think MK11's netcode is good enough for this to not be a problem. I really do. Unless you or your opponent is on wifi or ms is really high because of the range between you, even +1 is enough to make your opponent respect you with your D1. Of course in your case is different since his D1 is faster but you should still be able to trade with him.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
So much to respond to here...

This happens periodically online with my friend, but Ironically this really hit the fan the last time we played offline. Normally it's not that big of an issue but for some reason that night it was rampant. One match I got thrown out of d1s after either of Kano's +2 strings four times. At least two of those treated my downpokes as failed escapes despite me ultramashing after the plus frames. I lost my shit.

re: disrespect, I actually don't think it's intentional in a lot of cases. Disrespect everything, learn your lesson about the moves you literally can't ever disrespect, and you circumvent needing a bunch of extra game knowledge. Not my M.O., but whatever.

In the end I'm on MrArcher's wavelength - I don't really like the Mk11 interplay between downpoke mashing and most of the cast not having the tools to consistently and/or easily deal with it on read.

I might add that if you're + after a successful d1 or d3 on hit, I had many players just flat out neutral jump on me and punish me for trying to follow up with my + frames. Same goes for jailing after a poke on hit. It's non-existent to me online as a Saibot player and they get free d2 KBs smh...

I might add that if you're + after a successful d1 or d3 on hit, I had many players just flat out neutral jump on me and punish me for trying to follow up with my + frames. Same goes for jailing after a poke on hit. It's non-existent to me online as a Saibot player and they get free d2 KBs smh...
Most characters can jail off a successful d1 or d3 into s1 or s2. The only problem is that you can't really hit confirm that unless you're a jedi knight. So if you land hit d1 or d3 you basically have to go straight into 11, 12 or 21 and you'll get a full hit-confirmable combo if they did anything besides blocking after getting hit.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Jailing on a poke hit (i.e., more plus frames) is another pet peeve - it's nonexistent for most characters that don't have fast mids. My first character in this game was Shao Kahn and I had to learn the hard way that successful downpoke options are limited to another downpoke, throw, or F3 (which doesn't lead to anything useful or dangerous).

Most characters can jail off a successful d1 or d3 into s1 or s2. The only problem is that you can't really hit confirm that unless you're a jedi knight. So if you land hit d1 or d3 you basically have to go straight into 11, 12 or 21 and you'll get a full hit-confirmable combo if they did anything besides blocking after getting hit.
The timing is so tight that I haven't really bothered doing that online anymore. It's not a big issue offline. Online i'm only limited on doing B1 and B2. B2 being my only guaranteed mid after a successful poke or ghostball (+5)

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
The timing is so tight that I haven't really bothered doing that online anymore. It's not a big issue offline. Online i'm only limited on doing B1 and B2. B2 being my only guaranteed mid after a successful poke or ghostball (+5)
Yeah, I haven't even bothered trying this because the vast majority of my play is online.

You can hit confirm D1s and D3s. They are usually + enough so you can react with S1 in time. It just takes some practice.
I don't believe that unless youre a Jedi Knight. Go record me how you set the dummy in practice mode to crouch and block random combos and if you get 10 d1 jails in a row and instantly block on block, I believe you.