What's new

EVO ESPN2 numbers are in

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Okay. We'll see then next year. However, with Twitch being the primary medium for ALL FGC majors, minors, and weeklies, you can bet they hurt the ESPN2 viewership number.
The days of it being on twitch are numbered.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
The days of it being on twitch are numbered.
That's an interesting assessment. Not saying it isn't valid, but I don't think there's a real urgency to get rid of Twitch due to the international crowd viewing the games. Idk. My opinion though. For all I know, 2018 will be the year where everything is televised as opposed to streamed. All I know is that having both isn't advantageous because it splits viewership.

Jynks

That's an interesting assessment. Not saying it isn't valid, but I don't think there's a real urgency to get rid of Twitch due to the international crowd viewing the games. Idk. My opinion though.
It isn't about opinion it is about money. We all want eSports to grow but in doing so the grass roots FGC is going to have to really change to function in a way similar to "real" sports so everyone can make a fortune. Players, Teams, TOs and Broadcasters.

Someone like ESPN will buy the broadcast rights and twitch will not be used at all. This may only be for finals at first. Then those broadcast rights get sold to other broadcast companies for distribution.

You can not have it both ways, you can't have eSports grow, and still have eSports function like Wednesday Night Fights

It isn't about opinion it is about money. We all want eSports to grow but in doing so the grass roots FGC is going to have to really change to function in a way similar to "real" sports so everyone can make a fortune. Players, Teams, TOs and Broadcasters.

Someone like ESPN will buy the broadcast rights and twitch will not be used at all. This may only be for finals at first. Then those broadcast rights get sold to other broadcast companies for distribution.

You can not have it both ways, you can't have eSports grow, and still have eSports function like Wednesday Night Fights
Isn t the hype about EVO the international factor making it ESPN exclusive would antagonize the international players it may even hurt EVO in the long term

haketh

Noob

This makes no sense when you look at DOTA, Leauge, & Tekken in Korea

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
In order for E-sports to grow it must not be E-Sports but competitive gaming. I think calling competitive gaming E-sports hurts us as a group because we come off as the nerd Olympics. We need to be our own thing before we can grow.
I disagree

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
770,000 viewers for a first time FG Covered event that wasn't advertised as much as other shows seems like a pretty decent number. Keeping in mind it was the first time this has been televised.

From the average views the CW gets, chasing the cup was over a million views below the standard and that is not pretty decent as a cw executive.

Evo went over espn2's average by like 20%.

That's ignoring factors like promotion, timeslots, and cw being a free channel without subscriptions and their app

Last edited:

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
It's a competition really more so than a sport, yes it requires physical finesse but we aren't really training our bodies to the limit so much as our minds. I feel we have more in common with chess than we do with most sports.
Chess is actually recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. Specifically a "mind sport." I was wondering the exact same thing as you, so I read some stuff on wikipedia about it.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's a competition really more so than a sport, yes it requires physical finesse but we aren't really training our bodies to the limit so much as our minds. I feel we have more in common with chess than we do with most sports.
Chess is actually recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. Specifically a "mind sport." I was wondering the exact same thing as you, so I read some stuff on wikipedia about it.
^^^

Yea so be on a lookout for a video I'm doing within next month

I honestly do not understand this entire push to get Esports on TV. The target demographic for these things doesn't even watch tv.

I would liken this whole thing to a tv/radio broadcaster desperately trying to latch onto a newspaper for "legitimacy" without realizing that its about to be completely obsolete.

• Sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Pretty sure chess, poker, golf, darts, games, flag football, and whatever else falls under that banner.

I'd compare it to golf honestly. A sport where physical exertion is minimal(outside of walking) and winners are determined by focus, technique, and execution.

gam224

The world's least hype player
  • Sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Pretty sure chess, poker, golf, darts, games, flag football, and whatever else falls under that banner.
If you want to be technical about it yes but at that point rock paper scissors is a sport. We all know there is a difference between curling and the 20m dash

If you want to be technical about it yes but at that point rock paper scissors is a sport. We all know there is a difference between curling and the 20m dash
do we know that? Because I don't. Your personal opinion on the matter is irrelevant it's an objectively defined word.

I'm not actually sure how to respond to this... You're entitled to you opinion, enjoy your day.
typical. It's not an opinion. The word sport is clearly defined. They're the same thing. If you want to debate using something other than misguided intuition and feelings hit me up again.

gam224

typical. It's not an opinion. The word sport is clearly defined. They're the same thing. If you want to debate using something other than misguided intuition and feelings hit me up again.
My point is that some sports require more athleticism than others. You have to train your body much harder to be a sprinter than you do if you want to bowl at a high level. If you want to call MK a sport go ahead and call yourself an E- athlete. If that's the case good luck getting laid

My point is that some sports require more athleticism than others. You have to train your body much harder to be a sprinter than you do if you want to bowl at a high level. If you want to call MK a sport go ahead and call yourself an E- athlete. If that's the case good luck getting laid
thats not true at all lol. It's hard to be the best at anything, even bowling would require ridiculous amounts of time practicing.

gam224

thats not true at all lol. It's hard to be the best at anything, even bowling would require ridiculous amounts of time practicing.
I'm not saying that it wouldn't i'm saying that someone who is sprinting is placing more physical strain on their body. My family owns a bowling alley I know first had how much work some people put in for bowling but they are still not in as good shape as someone who is a sprinter.

Jynks

#OFFTOPIC

I've been part of a movement to bring the Olympics back to what it was about in the ancient world, as in a measure of mankind.. including the mind. They used to have Olympic Sports that were doing Maths, Poetry, Philosophy (basically debating) and stuff like that. There is more to human "perfection" than the physical and despite clinical meaning (as meanings constantly change and the word "sport" is changing right now) but despite that I feel anything that is competitive and requires elite human endeavour could be considered a sport. I mean weight lifting is a sport right? That is just picking up objects.