What's new

EVO ESPN2 numbers are in

All things considered, the twitch streams, ESPN 2 being a subscription only channel, no ads or promos, prime time tv ON A SUNDAY, are these numbers bad?

I watched it on ESPN2, but admittedly just for the novelty and how cool it was that it was being broadcast there.

But yeah, I think most people watching on Twitch would just stick to watching it on Twitch where they had Ultra David and Chen announcing.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
We watched it on ESPN 2 for Mike Ross' prime time commentary.

It was really neat. Bummer bout the poor ratings. Also shouts to gooteks interviews.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think if the top 8 was full of LI joe's or more relatable types to the average espn watcher it would have done better. I know tons of people that turned it off after joe lost and we're not into watching Japanese and Koreans that need translators. Just being real yall
I know the same thing happens during the world cup. When America is out some people lose interest. Coincidentally, I went to a water park sometime after and talked to a guy about it who admitted he speed following when America lost.

A person posted statistics on r/kappa. I don't know how good these are but it must be easily verifiable since It's on twitch. The person notes viewership across the board was down from last year. And that there was a peak during LI Joe's last match. He/she didn't account for all the other language streams and other services.

Evo 2016 finals: Twitch.tv peak viewer counts & stats
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/4tdr30/evo_2016_finals_twitchtv_peak_viewer_counts_stats/

I watched it on ESPN2, but admittedly just for the novelty and how cool it was that it was being broadcast there.

But yeah, I think most people watching on Twitch would just stick to watching it on Twitch where they had Ultra David and Chen announcing.
It was Sajam and James Chen on twitch during SFV top 8.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I figured as much. There's always tweets of people being surprised gamIng is on. I don't know what these companies deals are. But I don't get how advertising isn't part of the plan. What's the point of premiering something if no one knows. Capcom ain't Beyonce lol.
It doesn't benefit them to create competition for themselves. They're not in the business of building markets, but buying them.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Sunday night on espn 2 with no advertising...

I think it served its purpose. Anyone being upset that sports weren't on espn 2 after midnight is trolling or looking for attention.

If 10,000 people were affected enough to look up more about the fgc after watching... It's a good thing.

How many people saw SC Top 10? 10's of millions I'm guessing and they all saw how hype that crowd was. I've watched evo since 2011 and it was the coolest moment I've had watching.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It doesn't benefit them to create competition for themselves. They're not in the business of building markets, but buying them.
What do you mean create competition for themselves? If you're talking about ESPN, wouldn't it make sense to try and increase numbers and spread awareness around. Get in on the ground floor sort of and then basically be the source for SFV on TV. I get that they'd rather just bring along already built successes and guaranteed reward. Just seems odd and I'd hate for ESPN to be wary about doing it again when they could make things better on their sides.

I'm sure there's more to the whole process though. This just seemed like ESPN allowed capcom/evo/FGC just broadcast the event using their channel. Which isn't a bad thing really. But it'd be nice if ESPN threw some of their weight behind the scene.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
I honestly havnt watched cable tv in years I have Hulu plus and nextflix but when I was growing up there was a gaming network called g4tv ? I think idk if that's around but wouldn't that been a better fit .spike as well doesn't sound bad ethier
SPIKE TV would be good.

I don't know if G4 TV is still a thing, but that would probably also be a good channel.

yeah ive been saying for years that G4TV should be brought back, its dead and Syfy has the right to my understanding but arent using them for anything. gaming is huge now especially with tournaments and a TV channel like G4 was dedicated to gaming would have been perfect to cover this, not to mention covering E3, SDCC, Blizzcon, and all the other huge video game events and tournaments like CEO or whatever else. its a gold mine nobody is willing to farm

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I saw this posted on Facebook of all places. Look at these tweets...The mentality of the average joe isnt even aware of these big tournaments much less that they're also a spectator "sport". The world just isnt ready yet.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
What do you mean create competition for themselves? If you're talking about ESPN, wouldn't it make sense to try and increase numbers and spread awareness around. Get in on the ground floor sort of and then basically be the source for SFV on TV. I get that they'd rather just bring along already built successes and guaranteed reward. Just seems odd and I'd hate for ESPN to be wary about doing it again when they could make things better on their sides.

I'm sure there's more to the whole process though. This just seemed like ESPN allowed capcom/evo/FGC just broadcast the event using their channel. Which isn't a bad thing really. But it'd be nice if ESPN threw some of their weight behind the scene.
Unless the numbers are there, they are left with the WNBA - meaning its an obligation rather than a money-maker.

What is more likely is a video game channel making it and creating competition for sports. The momentum ESPN could have created could have steamrolled this to fruition.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
yeah ive been saying for years that G4TV should be brought back, its dead and Syfy has the right to my understanding but arent using them for anything. gaming is huge now especially with tournaments and a TV channel like G4 was dedicated to gaming would have been perfect to cover this, not to mention covering E3, SDCC, Blizzcon, and all the other huge video game events and tournaments like CEO or whatever else. its a gold mine nobody is willing to farm

This will open your eyes why G4 will never come back.

WATCHD0G

Noob
On one hand, I understand that the average ESPN watcher would probably not be into our stuff, but on the other, the utter disrespect that some of these people have shown (towards something that thy have absolutely no clue of) is very stupid. Couldn't you forfeit one night of your usual TV time?

If I didn't think it would help us in the long run, I would say the FGC should pull the plug and do things the way we usually did before.