What's new

EVO ESPN2 numbers are in

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I think having the twitch stream hurt these numbers, but even with that chasing the cup has more views.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Unsurprising. My dad was trying to watch ESPN2 on that night and as soon as he had seen the games being played instead of sports news, he turned it off. A lot of folks also took to Twitter and basically just bagged on the FGC and their VG tournament.

Unpopular Opinion: EVO should never do something like this again, at least on a channel like ESPN2, where that demographic will gnaw at the heels of anything that isn't sports related. There's this stigma with eSports that is just prevalent amongst regular sports fans. I actually wonder if there are any video game channels that would be better to sign onto?

At any rate, the numbers would maybe be higher if Twitch wasn't a factor at all.

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
To be fair, I loved it being on espn, but I still watched the twitch and recorded the ESPN one. Don't know if numbers include recordings.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Ouch. To be fair though, a lot of people (including me) have the TV set to the CW for most of the time. Especially since its free where I live (IDK about anywhere else) not doubting mk being able to pull in those numbers though.

As far as SF, splitting the broadcast between ESPN2 and twitch maybe wasn't the best idea. I believe the twitch stream maxed out around 220K. Add that to these numbers and you have over 400K (which I still don't know is good or bad).

Regardless, I expect to see sf continue climbing the ranks in e sports. I don't think it'll ever reach lol or dota level tho

Edit: I think SPIKE TV would be the best channel to air EVO on.

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
I think the numbers would have been much better if it had only been on espn2 and had no twitch stream. People were already watching the stream and no reason to switch to espn

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
yeah I agree that If it was just aired on ESPN2 and not on twitch the numbers would be better. And being a cable subscription hurt it compared to CW where anyone can watch.

Extremely agree that it should be on SPIKE that would be perfect. Don't they host Video Game Awards too?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I have to be that guy cos i have no idea wtf you guys are talking about.
What's ESPN?
Why would they show it on that as well as twitch?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It seemed like there was way more tweets in support of SFV on espn 2 than there were against it. Even people going "wtf" then saying that their glued to the tv now. I've seen tweets/stories of people being approached families and strangers because they recognized the sticks or the evo badge.

Idk how well advertised it was. Did ESPN2 show ads for it at least the week of? I feel like if capcom cup was on tv, the viewersip would just increase. Especially if it was marketed right.

I think they should still do twitch and network broadcast while it's still growing.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
It seemed like there was my more tweets in support of SFV on espn 2 than there were against it. Even people going "wtf" then saying that their glued to the tv now. I've seen tweets/stories of people being approached families and strangers because they recognized the sticks or the evo badge.

Idk how well advertised it was. Did ESPN2 show ads for it at least the week of? I feel like if capcom cup was on tv, the viewersip would just increase. Especially if it was marketed right.

I think they should still do twitch and network broadcast while it's still growing.
I follow the scene and watch sports and I had no idea when this would be aired. ESPN spent no effort on making it known.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Helpfull...
I would also ask who that's a gif of but I suspect I wouldn't get an answer. Just some condescending image.

ESPN 2 is a subscription channel, at least here in California you have to purchase the package or the channel as a premium channel, I tried watching in on ESPN 2 only to find out I had to purchase the channel subscription, so I watched EVO finals on twitch, like I imagine many many did.
Ok thanks, so it's just a TV channel :)

What is the average of viewers normally for espn2? If the average is around MLS then those numbers seem good.

Still shocked about chasing the cup numbers. Nobody can say there isn't an audience for competitive mk

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I follow the scene and watch sports and I had no idea when this would be aired. ESPN spent no effort on making it known.
I figured as much. There's always tweets of people being surprised gamIng is on. I don't know what these companies deals are. But I don't get how advertising isn't part of the plan. What's the point of premiering something if no one knows. Capcom ain't Beyonce lol.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Helpfull...
I would also ask who that's a gif of but I suspect I wouldn't get an answer. Just some condescending image.

I'm a bit rusty, I think thats someone named Payton Manning?

ESPN I think stands for Entertainment Sports Programming Network or something. It's a channel where they show American Football and the such.

Helpfull...

Yes, ESPN is a sports television network company. One of the biggest in the world. They have an ESPN channel,espn2,espn classic,etc.