What's new

EVO 2016's Final Entrant Counts 707 for Mortal Kombat XL!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
A little over an hour ago, registrations for the annual fighting game championship event, Evolution 2016, were closed to the public. Shortly thereafter, @MrWizard released the final counts of pre-registered players for each of the nine games EVO will feature in its roster this year.

Below is MrWizard's Twitter post confirming the numbers!

EVO 2016 Numbers.png
As you can see, Mortal Kombat XL will have 707 players battling it out for a 50K pot bonus, which was courteously provided by NetherRealm Studios and WB Games not long ago! For more on that amazing contribution, see this thread.

While the final entrant count is around 400 players lower than the numbers it received in 2015, 707 is still a respectable number. And with the exciting displays brought about by the Top 8s and even the Top 16s of major events such as CEO and Combo Breaker, we can barely restrain our excitement over what is to come!

As a reminder, EVO 2016 is set to occur on July 15 - 17 in Las Vegas, NV! The Top 8 finals for Mortal Kombat XL, along with four other titles from the roster, will be showcased at the Mandalay Bay Event Center on the 17th!

What are your thoughts?! Let us know in your comments below!

Source: MrWizard's Twitter Account

Attachments

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
It's certainly no where near a dead game, but I think it's pretty disappointing to see fewer entrants than UMVC3, a 5 year old game with no developer support. This is despite the huge pot bonus.

I like the game, but I think it's silly to say people's complaints aren't justified. The numbers speak for themselves. Given how good the character design, developer support, story mode, netcode, and aesthetics are, I think they could be much better. We should be shooting for SFV numbers, not celebrating the fact that we "only" declined by a few hundred. Other old games - SF4, UMVC3 - showed much better decline rates many years after their release. This is year TWO for MKX.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
It's certainly no where near a dead game, but I think it's pretty disappointing to see fewer entrants than UMVC3, a 5 year old game with no developer support. This is despite the huge pot bonus.

I like the game, but I think it's silly to say people's complaints aren't justified. The numbers speak for themselves. Given how good the character design, developer support, story mode, netcode, and aesthetics are, I think they could be much better. We should be shooting for SFV numbers, not celebrating the fact that we "only" declined by a few hundred. Other old games - SF4, UMVC3 - showed much better decline rates many years after their release. This is year TWO for MKX.
I'm surprised THAT many players think they can beat Sonic Fox.

Truth is NONE of them can.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
400 Aliens, 200 Mileenas, 100 misc top tier, 7 random chars.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction. I know this might sound crazy, but I'm gonna back my boy SonicFox and say he will make top 8 and upset the world and win back to back EVO's! A true underdog story.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I think mk9 had just over 600 in its first year, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Also pretty much the people playing melee, are playing wii I assume.

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Why is everyone acting like only 300 people were actually the final number an entire month ago? That was way too early to go off of and that was before the 50k pot bonus was announced. MKXL is a good game and did very well for itself and we should all be thankful to NRS as a whole for all they have done.

Slymind

Noob

I see your point, and i actually agree.

But, i believe that when you look at some games(especially capcom ones), they have way way more history in the competitive scene than the MK series(and there is the asian scene that MK does not have), MK had a following, but it was more of niche from some hardcore players that played MK2/UMK3 back then. MK9/2011 was were it went mainstream, and since then things seems to be improving. I agree it could be better, i just think that it will need more time to keep building it's playerbase, MK joined in the mainstream competitive scene when there were already many games stablished, many competitive players were already invested in other games, and sometimes they just don't want or can't afford to put the time to learn another game, a new community had to rise and since then it's been conquering it's own territory.

Also hopefully from now on, NRS netcode will be always good out of the gate, which might be a very good incentive to some players to stick around.

Slymind

Noob
A 40% drop off from the last Evo guarantees another spot? Without a KP4 and Injustice 2 release, not likely.
Despite this drop, i believe it's still had a decent turnout in other majors(i assume that counts too), and with the new netcode, i think that the game will stick way more from this point.

Injustice could be a potential threat, but, MKX is still above KI and T7 in numbers, so, i do think there is a pretty big chance, it being in evo next year.

NRS support or lack of it, will make the diffence though.