What's new

EVO 2016's Final Entrant Counts 707 for Mortal Kombat XL!

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
It's not a marketing issue -- it's game design decisions. But NRS designs their games for a different target, and that's why MKX sold far more than any of the other fighting games on that list.

Ed Boon and Paulo do what they want to do, and they'd rather experiment than just follow the trends.

This is also why a lot of the people who play NRS games don't regularly compete or place in those other games. It's a drastically different style of fighting game, and they mainly only feel like 'home' to the people who are NRS fans first and foremost.

Not everyone is going to go for a 50/50 fest with pre-set block strings and environmental interactions. It's a niche audience. But the numbers say that our community's niche is growing, and that's what we should be focused on.
Do you really think the gameplay design (the "50/50 fest") is what attracts NRS fans to its games? In my opinion, it's much more about the aesthetics, the story mode, the lore, the character design, etc., which are truly head and shoulders above pretty much every other fighting game franchise IMO. It seems to me most NRS players like the games *in spite* of the 50/50 fest, not because of it.

In terms of the casual audience, I also doubt MKX's vastly superior sales (relative to, say, SFV) can be attributed to the 50/50 fest. It's again down to the factors I mentioned above. I suspect most casual fans would have no idea how to describe how MKX and SFV differ in gameplay mechanics, and to 90% of the people who buy fighting games, they're all just button mashers. GIven that I think the design choice really had no discernible commercial or competitive benefit, it's all the more disappointing.

Where I'm going with this is that I think MKX is doing well (it's very obviously not "dead"), but had the potential to be a lot better.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
707 is a great # honestly for a NRS 2nd year game
-39% drop though is very bad

Overall 707 is positive but you can't ignore that decline when the other games increased or barely dropped. It's interesting

Also 300 + people registering last two weeks is typical Fgc waiting to last min.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Do you really think the gameplay design (the "50/50 fest") is what attracts NRS fans to its games? In my opinion, it's much more about the aesthetics, the story mode, the lore, the character design, etc., which are truly head and shoulders above pretty much every other fighting game franchise IMO. It seems to me most NRS players like the games *in spite* of the 50/50 fest, not because of it.

In terms of the casual audience, I also doubt MKX's vastly superior sales (relative to, say, SFV) can be attributed to the 50/50 fest. It's again down to the factors I mentioned above. I suspect most casual fans would have no idea how to describe how MKX and SFV differ in gameplay mechanics, and to 90% of the people who buy fighting games, they're all just button mashers. GIven that I think the design choice really had no discernible commercial or competitive benefit, it's all the more disappointing.

Where I'm going with this is that I think MKX is doing well (it's very obviously not "dead"), but had the potential to be a lot better.
50/50s no. The 50/50s are one of the more controversial aspects of these games, which is why I put them among the reasons for having a high drop rate from players of other franchises.

Bu relentless offense? Yes. It's the hallmark of MK and one of the main things attracting a lot of the people who like this aggressive style of game. It's why MK typically has its higher chip damage and characters with these extremely powerful and fast offensive tools. It's also part of why Injustice faced opposition from a lot of staunch competitive Mortal Kombat fans.

Last edited:

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
707 is a great # honestly for a NRS 2nd year game
-39% drop though is very bad

Overall 707 is positive but you can't ignore that decline when the other games increased or barely dropped. It's interesting

Also 300 + people registering last two weeks is typical Fgc waiting to last min.
Am I being a dick saying that Boon also announced the Pot Bonus 2 weeks ago and that could have help add the number increase?
I'm happy MK got a good amount more numbers just making some points.

Pig Of The Hut

Am I being a dick saying that Boon also announced the Pot Bonus 2 weeks ago and that could have help add the number increase?
I'm happy MK got a good amount more numbers just making some points.
Maybe I feel like there's two separate arguement a happening in this thread

For me the player base for NRS games is growing but Mkx isn't growing. Does that make sense ?

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Maybe I feel like there's two separate arguement a happening in this thread

For me the player base for NRS games is growing but Mkx isn't growing. Does that make sense ?
Ya it does. I think that statement is true. I still consider our community young. Since MK9 was sort of a reboot/Start to our community. Injustice 2 will probably have the same sort of drop but not as much. Although i wonder what would happen if there was no Pot bonus. Hmmmmm

Pig Of The Hut

Ya it does. I think that statement is true. I still consider our community young. Since MK9 was sort of a reboot/Start to our community. Injustice 2 will probably have the same sort of drop but not as much. Although i wonder what would happen if there was no Pot bonus. Hmmmmm
Well I also imagine 99% of the people that registered last two weeks know they have no chance at any pot bonus

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Also, this is not even the biggest drop ever. The biggest was probably from MK9 2011 (510) to 2012 (256), which was roughly a 50% drop, and then IGAU in 2013 was from 582 to 311, which is a 46% drop. This has a pattern of always happening, but now this new drop of 39% is suddenly game killing. Talk about revisionist history.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Also, this is not even the biggest drop ever. The biggest was probably from MK9 2011 (510) to 2012 (256), which was roughly a 50% drop, and then IGAU in 2013 was from 582 to 311, which is a 46% drop. This has a pattern of always happening, but now this new drop of 39% is suddenly game killing. Talk about revisionist history.
The ironic thing is that the drop has gotten less every year as the games get better, but yet people are talking like it's the end of the world.

Community continues to grow at a steady pace.

haketh

Noob
Keep in mind that probably half of UMVC3 numbers will be from dedicated SFV players, who are just signing up for that as well.

MKX is dope and you trolls should feel bad.
Their hasn't been much crossover between SF & Marvel for years

Numbers are still good but a drop off like this is worrying. Need to look into why a drop this big happened & ways to retain numbers.

Pig Of The Hut

The ironic thing is that the drop has gotten less every year as the games get better, but yet people are talking like it's the end of the world.

Community continues to grow at a steady pace.
The NRS community is growing but Mkx is not

We've grown a lot since 2011 and will continue to grow but the game is on the decline but not dead

707 is a great number and the next game will probably have even more people w a 20% decline but top go from 1300 to 1100ish

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
707 is a great number and the next game will probably have even more people w a 20% decline but top go from 1300 to 1100ish
Yeah, I figure the way our numbers move also stems from the fact that a new game comes out every 2 years.

If you're thinking about getting into it, but you haven't yet, you can basically say "I'll just wait till the next NRS game drops and then I'll start fresh with everyone else".

Ex. anyone who's on the fence about MKX right now will probably just wait till Injustice 2 comes out.

Last edited:

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I don't see why this is so hard to understand. NRS games are biennial flavor of the month games for a significant amount of people, but the core community is still steadily growing.

Also, I feel like the effects of the pot bonus are being overstated. The vast majority of entrants into this tournament know very well they have no shot at top 8.

trufenix

bye felicia
You came at a good time.

Use EVO to go all over the world where the strong people are.

I'm praying for a healthy battle.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So is it too late to still register to EVO period? Is there no registration at the door or anything?
It's possible to do it, but you'd have to be really serious about registering and contact the right people asap (like tonight/tomorrow).

It's certainly no where near a dead game, but I think it's pretty disappointing to see fewer entrants than UMVC3, a 5 year old game with no developer support. This is despite the huge pot bonus.

I like the game, but I think it's silly to say people's complaints aren't justified. The numbers speak for themselves. Given how good the character design, developer support, story mode, netcode, and aesthetics are, I think they could be much better. We should be shooting for SFV numbers, not celebrating the fact that we "only" declined by a few hundred. Other old games - SF4, UMVC3 - showed much better decline rates many years after their release. This is year TWO for MKX.
Being old is not the reason the game is losing numbers. Melee is older than all the games at evo and it's numbers just get bigger every year. People want personalities, a very high skill ceiling while also being great for spectators, no broken bull shit, a constant evolving meta, and above all else... A LOYAL FAN BASE THAT STICKS WITH THEIR GAME. You guys are gonna drop this game as soon as injustice 2 comes out and yet you complain that other people show no love for it. That looks so bad on you guys, it seriously does. 2 years sounds like alot but it really isn't enough time for a community and game to evolve. Melee in it's second year didn't look anything like it does today. You guys just have to learn to love your game before other people do.

400 Aliens, 200 Mileenas, 100 misc top tier, 7 random chars.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction. I know this might sound crazy, but I'm gonna back my boy SonicFox and say he will make top 8 and upset the world and win back to back EVO's! A true underdog story.
I'll make sure to have my Jim Ross voice impersonation ready so I can easily commentate his glorious upset of Mr.McMahon.. erh, Mr. McmAlien and Mrs. McMileena.