What's new

EVO 2016's Final Entrant Counts 707 for Mortal Kombat XL!

Just only 707? May not be "dead" but let's be honest here, 707 for a new one year old game (as opposed to the numbers SFV has) is not acceptable. Plus, we're actually behind a 12-13 year old in entrants for Melee? Though congratulations are in order though. Didn't it beat last year's record?

Tweedy

Noob
Just only 707? May not be "dead" but let's be honest here, 707 for a new one year old game (as opposed to the numbers SFV has) is not acceptable. Plus, we're actually behind a 12-13 year old in entrants for Melee? Though congratulations are in order though. Didn't it beat last year's record?
Another game raising the bar, doesn't mean that a good amount of entrants is "not acceptable". Last year MKX raised the bar for NRS games, this year MKX is raising the bar for NRS games again, with the highest numbers for a first and second year game at the event.

At the end of the day, people don't like to admit that they're wrong. If MKX had 4500, it'd be "ha dead cuz stweet fightor".

Another game raising the bar, doesn't mean that a good amount of entrants is "not acceptable". Last year MKX raised the bar for NRS games, this year MKX is raising the bar for NRS games again, with the highest numbers for a first and second year game at the event.

At the end of the day, people don't like to admit that they're wrong. If MKX had 4500, it'd be "ha dead cuz stweet fightor".
Numbers don't lie though so I'm basing my observations purely off of the numbers and tournament outcomes (top 8 specifically.) I would admit if I'm right or wrong but you can't deny people's opinions on this. It's a double-edged sword at this moment.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I wonder if NRS Announced the Pot Bonus Sooner if more people would of ended up regging or preparing. Along with the game being 3/5 at Evo. Good shit to KI for the increase in numbers. Very impressive

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The biggest reason this isn't the case I believe is because they're waaaay to similar in nature.
Dead on. Which is why I keep pushing for and hoping that the gap will be further set apart with each installment. The more different the two series are, the more likely that people will play both titles as opposed to dropping one for the next one.

Leave all the rampant unreactable OH/Low starting 50/50's, free +frame on block run cancels galore, godlike near impossible to AA Jip's that lead to free pressure/mixups/+F, Armor everywhere, half screen advancing fast safe mids, running, small stages, 2 bar full stamina m push block, and variable block stun in the MK series and keep it there for people who like that gameplay.

For Injustice, simply improve on what worked the last game, improve the things that didn't work well like needing a faster walk speed/the damage and blocking interactables/etc, and moving its gameplay style as far from MKX as possible to even more of the good elements of Inj.

With the return of characters keeping their moves from Inj1 to Inj2, and rumors that it is much more footsie based than ever, I can only hope that this is the plan.

Tweedy

Noob
Numbers don't lie though so I'm basing my observations purely off of the numbers and tournament outcomes (top 8 specifically.) I would admit if I'm right or wrong but you can't deny people's opinions on this. It's a double-edged sword at this moment.
I guess so.

Street Fighter isn't dead, I guess, but I mean, look at League of Legends. I mean what the fuck are they doing.

Something else doing really well, doesn't make 700 a meh number for a 2nd year NRS game. Period. There's no sword, no double edge. Just statistics.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
> More numbers than the second year of mk9.
> More numbers than the second year of injustice.
> Compares a 5 year-old community to a 25 year-old community and says it's unacceptable.

MK can't win no matter what

well the Melee players actually go out and support their game....instead of sitting at home whining behind a keyboard

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is the biggest turnout we've ever had in the second year of one our games, to the tune of 300 entrants.

Anyone complaining about it sounds foolish, but the only way to continue to build it is to enter yourself.

Congratulations everyone, and looking forward to yet another blast of a tournament.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Comparing to other games is pointless. The Capcom community has been around in force since long before 2011. As has the Smash community, and the anime fighter community. The Marvel players know this is their last game ever, and they will continue to play it at EVO.

Numbers are not something you just magically get; they are something you have to build. You increase them by growing every year, and that's exactly what we're doing.

So put aside the comparative foolishness and help encourage and support everyone going to EVO to represent us this year.

Last edited:

Indecisive

Comparing to other games is pointless. The Capcom community has been around in force since long before 2011. As has the Smash community, and the anime fighter community. The Marvel players know this is their last game ever, and they will continue to play it at EVO.

Numbers are not something you just magically get; they are something you build. You increase them by growing every year, and that's exactly what we're doing.

So put aside the comparative foolishness and help encourage and support everyone going to EVO to represent us this year.
we don't know if this will be the last marvel game ever. They could make a new one. In ten 10 years

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
we don't know if this will be the last marvel game ever. They could make a new one. In ten 10 years
It's definitely the last one for the forseeable/near future.

Until they have the legal rights to do something like that, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Indecisive

Until they have the legal rights to do something like that, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Just give it 10 Years. Maybe Hopefully. :c

Also Here is a nice chart showing the games and the drop/increase
SF4-SF5 Mind you
Game 2015 2016 Change
Street Fighter V 2227/ 5065 +127%*
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU 1926/ 2637 +37%
Killer Instinct 397/ 540 +36%
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1869/ 2350 +26%
Tekken 7: Fated Retribution 458/ 543 +19%
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 816/ 770 -6%
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 968/ 903 -7%
Mortal Kombat XL 1162/ 707 -39%

MasterBelmont

Aspiring competitive MKXL/MVCI player from Oregon
Aw, that's significantly less than last year, but oh well, that's still 707 players, so it's definitely not something to laugh at. Honestly, I think there will be a new champion this year; no disrespect to Sonic Fox, but not only is the Evo curse a real thing, but predicting the winner out of 707 players is kind of ridiculous.

Also, those Pokken numbers are really surprising. The game seemed like the joke of the Evo roster when it was revealed, but I guess this community will prove me wrong.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
The numbers from 2 years ago (IGAU's second year) put this in perspective:

EVO 2014

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 1,979
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 1,014
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 970
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma - 508
Killer Instinct - 338
King of Fighters 13 - 319
Injustice: Gods Among Us - 311
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 257

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

They do have the legal rights lol. Actually head of marvel games (some Japanese guy) went to twitter not long ago saying he knows fans want a new mvc but he can't really say much.

Also 700 isn't bad, but games still not gonna live too far past evo. Especially w sfv revving their engines and throwing Capcom players a bone w story mode.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015

EVO 2014

Killer Instinct - 338
Injustice: Gods Among Us - 311
With these numbers, it's comforting to note that the fgc as a whole has grown five fold in two years.

Indecisive

EVO 2014

Killer Instinct - 338
Injustice: Gods Among Us - 311 Pot bonus: Some T-Shirts
MKX Pot bonus: 10K

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
707 is a pretty good turnout. I mean 700 people decided a while ago they were getting to Vegas to play MK. That's a big deal. But their should be two causes of concern that matter. 39 percent drop in attendance and Injustice 2 is on the way. Also that pot bonus must entice a few players. So I'd worry if at least a fraction of that money stays with MKx. MKx has a very polarizing game style and some work would definitely have to be done to grow numbers. Not just on the community but NRS's side as well.

Capcom could do a capcom only VS style game. Or get a different license. TvC was well received and it's a shame that game was regulated to Wii status.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Wow this is fucking good

People stop comparing it to the other games on the list

We are still a new breathe that's western based game going against World based games with a lot of legacy for the most cases.

We are up 2 games and just under UMvC3 that's super good. (I know kinda hypocritical lol but fuck it)

Plus best 2nd year for an NRS games and 2nd best turnout for an NRS game(right?).

Who knows if a pot bonus would of being announced earlier(or if it was more or less would numbers be different) and if it was 3/5 but that's just speculation.

Fact is its evidence we are growing in the FGC, no matter how much pessimistic turns you try to pull on it.

Numbers are facts.

Last edited:

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
If only Alien was banned, I know there would have been more players this year, I for certain would have entered, I mean MKX is super succesfull, we should be aiming for the SFV numbers godammit..

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Just give it 10 Years. Maybe Hopefully. :c

Also Here is a nice chart showing the games and the drop/increase
SF4-SF5 Mind you
Game 2015 2016 Change
Street Fighter V 2227/ 5065 +127%*
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU 1926/ 2637 +37%
Killer Instinct 397/ 540 +36%
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1869/ 2350 +26%
Tekken 7: Fated Retribution 458/ 543 +19%
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 816/ 770 -6%
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 968/ 903 -7%
Mortal Kombat XL 1162/ 707 -39%
All those games changed significantly between EVOs except Marvel and Melee. Xrd was -sign last year, KI was in the midst of season two, Smash 4 has been patched a bunch and had several new characters, Tekken 7 didn't have a sub title (and didn't really exist in the west) and we were playing MKX not XL. The world of fighting of fighting games changes a lot after than it used to.