What's new

EVO 2011 - MK9: The favorites!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I realize this thread will be completely arbitrary, but I figure it would cause some sort of hype. I'm going to post some of the "favorites" I have to win MK9. You are more than welcome to post your own. But keep in mind, this thread is strictly for fun and to generate some hype. Any flaming or nonsense will not be tolerated. Also, a top player who you think has a chance may not be going to EVO this year, which is fine. Just post them anyway.

REO

Personally, after playing with REO for years, I have faith in his abilities. I mean, he picked up UMK3 quicker than anyone I've ever seen. And now he's considered one of the top players in the game. He's also dominated in nearly EVERY MK game! Now with MK9, he's making strong showings in every tournament he attends. Not only that, he switches characters nearly every week and STILL dominating the competition. If that doesn't show true skill and talent, I don't know what does. I honestly don't know which character he is going to use, but word is he's going to be using his fresh new Mileena! Who is going to take down the master of MK?

Michaelangelo

Arguably the best MK9 player in the USA. He's won nearly every major he's attended, on the WC and EC! Just dashing through the competition with his Kabal, is there no one that can put an end to his domination?

CrazyDomincan

CD has been a force in the MK community for awhile now. Being regarded as one of the best UMK3 players in the US is no small ordeal. He's breezed through the competition in UMK3 for years, now he's doing the same in MK9. With his fierce Kitana, is he going to instant air fan to victory?

CD Jr

CD Jr is obviously CrazyDominican's brother. And since that fact is apparent, you know he's no slouch in MK9. His Jax is probably the best in the world, but his Smoke seems to just be flat out better. Are the Dominican's going to body the EVO competition?

ChrisG

The jack of all trades, and master of all! ChrisG is a top player in every single fighter I've seen him play. And MK9 is no exception. His Reptile is just sick. His rushdown is just frightening. Is Chris's vast knowledge and experience in a variety of fighters going to prove advantageous this year at EVO? Is his Reptile going to Elbow Dash to the Grand Finals?

Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez

Sabin is just so solid in fighting games. His Reptile is the most well rounded I've witnessed. With a combination of zoning and rushing, beating Sabin in MK9 is a headache. Will Sabin's years of tournament and EVO experience overcome the field?

Tom Brady

Tom Brady is basically the face of MK9. He's been a top MK player back when I was in diapers. And he's still going strong today. His Sub-Zero is nasty. Who is going to be man enough to destroy the MK man himself? Is Tom Brady going to use Kung Lao for EVO and dive kick his way to top 8?

These are my favorites. As an East Coaster, my favorites may be a bit biased, but they are my favorites. So, who are your favorites for MK9 this year at EVO? Do agree with these guys, or do you have a different opinion? Will there be upsets? What's going to happen at the very first EVOLUTION MK TOURNAMENT?!?

GET FUCKING HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm just ready to see CD and Konqrr duke it out to prove who has the best Kitana. If Perfect Legend is going there and playing MK9 too, I'd put him up at the top as well.

Red

Noob
OMG.. its gunna be Epic...

this is like a Pride Fighting Championship Grand Prix back when it was crocop, mark kerr, Ken Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Kevin Randleman, guy mezger, Igor Vovchanchyn, Kazuyuki Fujita, Royce Gracie, and Mark Coleman.

This EVO will be remembered for a decade..

Its gunna display the best MK matches in history.

Red

Noob
dont forget shock...

Shock & Konqrr. practically legends of MK..
The Lewis & Clark of Mortal Kombat..
I remember watching combo videos of them when i was like 13...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm just ready to see CD and Konqrr duke it out to prove who has the best Kitana. If Perfect Legend is going there and playing MK9 too, I'd put him up at the top as well.
Forgot about Konqrr and PL, very good chance they will take the title too!

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
OMG.. its gunna be Epic...

this is like a Pride Fighting Championship Grand Prix back when it was crocop, mark kerr, Ken Shamrock, Bas Rutten, Kevin Randleman, guy mezger, Igor Vovchanchyn, Kazuyuki Fujita, Royce Gracie, and Mark Coleman.

This EVO will be remembered for a decade..

Its gunna display the best MK matches in history.
Please dont compare guys like Randleman, Fujita...etc to guys like Konqrr, Reo, Brady...etc. The present UFC LW div or PRIDE 2005 LHW GP or even the Bushido tourney that Gomi won are all better comparisons if you wanna tall stacked tournies/divisions.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
DetroitBalln and MortySeinfeld actually have really good shots at winning Evo. I think they are going to shock a lot of people this year.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I can't call it definitively having never seen a good example of Brady's Kung Lao.

I think the odds on favorite is Michaelangelo, and I'm looking forward to seeing what REO does this time around.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I think Michaelangelo will make top 8, but I don't think he'll win the tourny. He's proven himself to be a force to be reckoned with, but not a Daigo just yet, so people might be more prepared to handle his Kabal tactics.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I think fundamentals will win Evo not some gimmicky strategy designed to burn through average players. CD and CD jr showed really strong fundamentals last night on kombat network.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Love Michaelangelo, but I don't think he's taking it. Great person and presence for the game, but he hasn't shown the dominance I'd expect from an Evo champion. To be honest, I haven't seen that kind of play from anyone thus far. Maybe Evo will bring it out of someone.

Eight

I am the salt
While I would be rooting for Tom Brady if he hadn't abandoned Sub-Zero, I'm now throwing my support behind the speedwagon:

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

:moonwalk::moonwalk::moonwalk:

While I would be rooting for Tom Brady if he hadn't abandoned Sub-Zero, I'm now throwing my support behind the speedwagon:

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

R
E
O

:moonwalk::moonwalk::moonwalk:
Fuck yeah, go Reo! Definitely my favorite player to watch.

Red

Noob
Please dont compare guys like Randleman, Fujita...etc to guys like Konqrr, Reo, Brady...etc. The present UFC LW div or PRIDE 2005 LHW GP or even the Bushido tourney that Gomi won are all better comparisons if you wanna tall stacked tournies/divisions.
hmm sorry that you dont agree with me..
when i listed all those fighters i was refering to the 2000 Pride Grand Prix..
I'm an old mma fan and I love the classic fights... that time was really when the sport of mma was just being birthed.. No one hardly watched mma then.. now it is a trend ... a program for tools...

i compare the old mma tourneys to this years evo .. because this is a big year for MK.. history will be made...
MK will officially be recognised as a whole..

so do not counter my comment with nonsense when you truly seem dumbwitted and cannot understand the true meaning I was deriving from.

Red

Noob
also..

i think evo is really anyone of the top players taking..

i tihnk its all aboiut the matchups..

seeing so many top players from around the world in one tourney...

its literally too hard to call..

i mean think about it.. what if theres a really early matchup... with 2 top guys..... someone gets sent to losers early.. and it throws their game off.. and they make it to finals but still get booted..

shit happens.. and shits gunna happens.. were gunna see upsets...
i hope we see a early match of chris G vs michaelangelo...

im not a fan of either one.. but im not deliberately against the.. but Im rooting for REO... so id love to see crazy things happen..

its gunna be a war no doubt..

what is the schedule for MK.. is it saturday or friday?

Kwon

---->----
My favorite is and will always be Tom Brady as Sub-Zero.
I will 100 % support Team Brady if our guiding light and bringer of wisdom Maestre Tom Brady will still play Sub-Zero at EVO.

If not, Michelangelo will be my clear favorite!

Evo will be an epic tournament indeed, just like those old Pride-tournaments.

Tom Brady as Sub-Zero would be the equivalent to Shogun and Michelangelo would the the equivalent to Ricardo Arona during this tournament.
REO = Wanderlei Silva, WonderChef = Randleman.
Sabin = Fujita.

Can't wait to see this Epic event!

No need to start throwing out insults.

I believe pools for MK are all day Friday, nothing Sat, and Top 8/16(not sure?) on Sunday.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Sorry to put a damper on your hopes and dreams Kwon, but Brady already said he's playing Kung Lao at Evo.

Kwon

---->----
Sorry to put a damper on your hopes and dreams Kwon, but Brady already said he's playing Kung Lao at Evo.
Dammit! :D

And here i was hoping to see the Master take the title with Sub-Zero, or at least display his excellent skills with Sub!

Kung Lao is not interesting at all for me!

I believe the Final will be between Michelangelo and Chris G then!

shura30

Shura
i'll definitely look forward to Michaelangelo
since i'm a kabal user i can't wait for him to rampage through each cheap tier with NDC

i just hope for character variety less cage/lao/reptile and more show of skills
that is another reason why i'll support Michae's kabal

btw will there be any live stream?i would really like to follow the event from italy!