What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
So I love this combo but anyone help out with some different ones! Basically bnb with good damage!
MID screen: starter, roll, b34 Sai, run b221+3. You can replace the b221+3 with 21u4 for better oki but less damage or b22sai with gives you a gaurnteed fade away for meter build.

Corner: starter, roll, run under b34 Sai, 2, 21u4
These are my bnbs when I'm playing online because I can't consistently land her jump kick telekick combos. @MyronJ I switched to piercing recently so I haven't been labbing ethereal to much. That and the combo thread was a complete mess last time I saw it. Can you hook this guy up with some bnbs.

Jolt

Uprise
@SeanTheGaymer my personal BNB (no meter) is slightly unoptimized (by 1 percent, in favor of execution).

Mid screen: Starter, roll, jump in kick~teleport kick-air sai, b2 sai, optional (but free) fade away. This is a slightly less optimal version of the optimal Ethereal combos found by TakeAChance not long after the Ethereal buff patch.

Basically, jump in kick into teleport kick into air sai followed by b2 sai.

For "optimal" damage do the same thing but instead of b2 sai, you run in b22 sai. I'll link TakeAChance's video:

Now, this was BEFORE the necksnap frame change. Now I do 2 different combos depending on desired positioning/oki.

Starter, roll, jump in kick~teleport kick-air sai, b2 sai, fade away. This is good when you want to be left at a distance.

Starter, roll, b34 sai, run 4u31+2. This leaves them at your feet to make sweet love to them with some mixups on their oki..

If you want to be absolutely optimal for 1 bar, the answers are here: Old video and tech that NO ONE uses (including myself lmao), but it exists. I'd like to see someone push the damage even further. After the jump in, you can use either of the above combos and damage is the same.

I dropped it because I'm an online player so execution is a joke. Consistency over all things.

Basically: I haven't done anything differently than what TakeAChance was doing when Ethereal first got buffed. His combos work well for me so I stuck with them lol.

I don't have a corner BNB, I should probably get one. Most of them I just end in uppercut 4u31+2. Some people don't like that ender, I love that ender.

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to redo that video some time. First of all, to fix the RIP audio, and 2 to get rid of ShareFactory. I feel like the combos are still VERY performable offline and can probably be further optimized by some genius that has come around since then.

I'd like to find multi-bar combos that are worth a damn lol

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I forgot to post this when I found it but I got an easier combo that does the same or like 1% less than the current max damage.

Midscreen:
Starter~roll Deep NJP (it has to be a deep NJP, otherwise It won't work but it's very easy) run B34~sai run B22~sai.

And for the corner:
Starter~roll run B34~sai NJP 21U4 this one is very easy.

Or... Starter~roll run uppercut NJP 2, 2, 21U4

In the corner you can do 4U3 2+4 instead of 21U4 for more damage.

If you need meter:

* Starter~roll run B34~sai NJP 123~sai

* Starter~ roll run uppercut NJP 2, 123~sai

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
For all you Mileena and saltface fans out there. @YOMI RM SaltFace ran sets on Sonic's Sunday stream. Saltface's Mileena was a thing of beauty to watch. Amazing mixups, relentless pressure, optimized combos, crazy confirms, he matched @SonicFox5000 move for move. rough guess is that they went about even...

ps.
Sonic has a CRAZY shotgun Jacqui Briggs

http://www.twitch.tv/zsonicfox/v/52754971

Last edited:

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
For all you Mileena and saltface fans out there. @YOMI RM SaltFace ran sets on Sonic's Sunday stream. Saltface's Mileena was a thing of beauty to watch. Amazing mixups, relentless pressure, optimized combos, crazy confirms, he matched @SonicFox5000 move for move. rough guess is that they went about even...

ps.
Can you link me to the archives

SaltFace NS

Ultimate Mileena Exterminator

ps.

http://www.twitch.tv/zsonicfox/v/52754971
It was one of the best sets I ever ran with SonicFox. I promise to do even better next time.

Regarding my previous post, I already started trying to put more work in myself. Using @TakeAChance 's formula for optimal meter gain (ending in roll, jik~teleport kick~air sai, run b22sai) I increased the damage of the b12 starter, but currently it is a TOUGH link. The jump kick often comes out the wrong direction if you don't time it right.

b12~stationary EX Fade-jump forward 1 (this is the tightest timing of it all), f12b4~roll, b34~air sai, run 4u31+2 - 37%

became

b12~stationary EX Fade-jump forward 1 (this is the tightest timing of it all), f12b4~roll, jik~teleport kick~air sai, run b22sai - 38%

but should get just a little bit more meter lol. More damage and more meter at the price of extra execution. Just theory crafting as always, haha you guys know me :)

EDIT: I need to start doing ALL of my testing before I post lol

Just buffed the original combo to 40%

4~stationary EX Fade-jump forward 1 (this is the tightest timing of it all), f12b4~roll, b34~air sai, run 4u31+2 - 39%

is now

4~stationary EX Fade-jump forward 1 (this is the tightest timing of it all), f12b4~roll, jik~teleport kick~air sai, run b22sai - 40%

so I'm GUESSING that they all will get an extra percent and more meter using Chance's optimal ethereal combo ender. I couldn't get it before because I was breaking the rule. For f12b4, you jump BACK for your kick. Once I did that, I can connect it minimal issues.

EDIT 2: I swear this is the end of it for tonight

21 also works as a starter for 38% (same combo) but you have to use jump in 2, ji1 doesn't offer quite enough advantage to allow f1 to continue combo after that string.

I am now determined to find a way to make f4 work, but it's looking impossible

EDIT 3: OK I'm done.

Iiight, so I had more time to test and f23 works as well, even with a stationary EX fade.(tight timing requires jump in 2) - 40%

So ultimately, all I did was find a way to add a free jump in punch to our existing optimal for more combos. Yay! Hopefully this will stir some creative minds and we can still get even more.

These are NICE off of a connected jump in. The execution is worth it.
OMG, I literally read this yesterday, went home after work last night, tried it for about 15-20 minutes, and can hit these consistently about 8 out 10 times. Hell, if anything I have more trouble hitting the run cancel B22 sai, so I just end with an uppercut. It does the same amount of damage and sometimes 1 percent more depending on the string (38% - 41% WITHOUT a jump in). Personally instant Ji2 is easier for me with all strings other than starting with standing 4 which requires Ji1.

However, 3 string starters do not seem to work for me (F1, or 123, 124). Low starter F4 "IS" possible and waaaaay harder, but instead of EX fade in place it requires EX fade forward. It also depends on what range its started from will dictate what side you reappear on your opponent. From max range you appear on the same side you started where as mid to close range will switch sides so the instant Ji2 will have to be done in the opposite direction followed a F12B4 roll, etc etc.

While tampering around with these, I found out how ridiculous her instant Ji2 is, which is very similar to Sub-Zero's and Alien's. Then the icing on the cake is that both her jump in 1 and 2 are +2 on block, according to in-game stats anyway. Granted everyone jumped on the Piercing bandwagon, I think i'm going to go against the grains and level up Ethereal instead (Eff-You Alien, Leatherface and Liu Kang frame traps).

Looking at the notation your combo is likely easier execution wise than mine so most people should try that first if they want the 50%. The timimg of 2, D1, 4 is tricky if you have never done it before. Would a video help?
Also tried this out for the 1st time yesterday. Very easy to do now that D1 is faster/less recovery frames linking to standing 4 into roll. The trick is...well hell first getting a F343 to land, but if successful press 2 at the peak after you stand so that EX U3 grabs at a good height.

Frenzy

Noob
Can someone tell me why ethereal's ex fade make the opponent's special moves act as if they are blocked sometimes and whiff at other times? I've done it in practice mode with the 12 string. 12 special cancel ex fade in place will make sub zero's slide whiff but if I do ex fade not as a special cancel it makes the slide act as if it was blocked. It's strange.

Frenzy

Noob
This also seems to make moves more negative in a sense because I can punish -14 moves with a 16f move. If this is already known then I'm sorry.