What's new

Erron Black General Discussion Thread

jakehk

Noob
Ok i can officially say erron black has the worst brutalities in the game by a country mile. Supposedly theres one left i havent found but it will have to be amazing to change that opinion

Can anyone help me with EB’s game plan a bit? Like I get that he’s quite strong, but playing him I’m not really clear what I should be going for at any given moment. He doesn’t really seem to follow the poke/bait/punish game as clearly as traditional characters do, or else I’m not reading the character right.

HAMMER

Noob
Ok i can officially say erron black has the worst brutalities in the game by a country mile. Supposedly theres one left i havent found but it will have to be amazing to change that opinion
Come on duke. The one where his opponent picks up the dynamite on some ACME shit is funny AF.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Can anyone help me with EB’s game plan a bit? Like I get that he’s quite strong, but playing him I’m not really clear what I should be going for at any given moment. He doesn’t really seem to follow the poke/bait/punish game as clearly as traditional characters do, or else I’m not reading the character right.
Just gotta mix him up as much as you can. Check out some high level matches on Youtube and pick up on some things they're doing so you can implement them. His game is basically outpacing the opponent and constant pressure. That being said, he's still a great zoner as long you don't telegraph what your next move is going to be. Lots of cancels and mixups turn him into an absolute beast.

So ah... out of curiosity, and I mean no disrespect, but does Erron actually have any obviously bad matchups currently?

So ah... out of curiosity, and I mean no disrespect, but does Erron actually have any obviously bad matchups currently?
I've had some issues with Cetrion getting in coz of all the projectiles she has but I didn't get enough games with the person to find a way around it.

BlondeWolf411

Cowboy Pioneer
The only characters I’m currently struggling with are Scorpion and Sonya both feel like a nightmare upclose, I can never really start my offense or gain momentum especially vs Scorp

Rorshock

Noob
What are my options against this dude's drop kick F4? It's safe on block, and he can do the MB shot to make me scared to try and take a turn after the kick. I'm scared to block low because of the kick, but I'm scared to block high because he still gets acid setups off of the low slide (which is punishable, on the bright side).

Genuinely at a loss as to how to fight this character rn. I am scared of him at all points on the screen lol.

Dont shoot me, I'm not an Erron Black player but looking for matchup advice.

As a person who plays more traditional FGs and is kinda new to MK, I'm wondering with him having a low that's 21 frames and an OH that's 26 frames that both start with a run, how do I know which way to block when he does either on wakeup? I say I'm not an MK player bc I see people doing it in videos and just saying "he doesnt know F4 is an OH lol" but I've been in that situation and know how hard it is to tell his slide from his F4 so I got to thinking maybe MK players are just used to blocking things like this? The closest thing I've seen to this in another game is UMvC3's Spencer having an OH that resembles his dash which most people agreed was dumb for him to have that. Is there something I'm missing like a voice line?

Edit: slightly funny that we asked about the same mixup at the same time

I'm pretty sure big boot is punishable.

Erron has literally zero anti-airs so I would say maybe try jumping in with an attack after blockin the boot. From memory I don't think he recovers fast enough for a d2 (could be wrong)

Krackatoa

BEES? BEES!
You can just rhythm block. Block low, then look to block the overhead at the last possible moment. As you said, one hits later than the other.

Espio

Kokomo
I like the duration of meter burn command grab because your meter starts regenerating during the whole animation.

That's actually a really good thing in terms of a lot of Erron's stuff like his back throw is great cause of how long it takes to complete you can regen a decent amount of meter so I'm more willing to use meter as a result.

The 2nd variation is, no question. The startup for his netherbeast trap is slow, it doesn't last terribly long, and it takes up 2 ability slots which is ridiculous... not to mention it's probably the most obvious move ever. It's really only useful when you amplify it for a combo setup, but he honestly has way better options.
That's not the second variation. The second variation has TNT toss, command grab and slide/boot cancels. The main prominently used variation is better, but that one is fine.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
So EB's rifle stance is nerfed in ranked matches to have no popups?

edit: nvm was in the wrong variation... I was gonna say WTF.

Last edited:

RizRaz

Errons with combos - always hot.
I can't find a way to make Erron's 2nd variation worth anything. I love that commgrab, but losing out Enhanced LnL really hurts - and I've no clue how to use dynamite safely.

pH34rZ

Noob
Uhm so what strings jail on hit with this dude?
Apparently I’m ass at frame data
You can d1 into 21212, jails on hit.
D4 on hit is +16, you can dash and pressure - although I need confirmation on this.

Another thing I haven't seen written here:
Sweep on block is -1 and you can use 2*bf4 (8 frames) to try and bait counterhit.
Saw this on one of Sonic's matches, works on some opponents.

You can d1 into 21212, jails on hit.
D4 on hit is +16, you can dash and pressure - although I need confirmation on this.

Another thing I haven't seen written here:
Sweep on block is -1 and you can use 2*bf4 (8 frames) to try and bait counterhit.
Saw this on one of Sonic's matches, works on some opponents.
I also saw that 2xxBF4 but was wondering why it is better than going for 21212 hitconfirm in that cases (he also did frequently). If opponent low profiles it does not matter. On hit 21212 can be comboed too. On block 2xxBF4 options are not that good.

I am new to Erron but learning from Sonicfox's matches - it is fun to watch. Rarely drops unsafe 50/50 but plays strong neutral. :)