What's new

Enter the Bane: General Discussion

Ive also started adding B23 tick throws into the mix too. Sometimes F2D 1+3 to add to F2D2 if Im really feeling it
I'm in the process of adding b23-tick into my knock down game. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to confirm the tick on block. I'm consistent in training mode, but translating it to an actual match scenario, especially online, is proving a bit tricky for me.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I'm in the process of adding b23-tick into my knock down game. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to confirm the tick on block. I'm consistent in training mode, but translating it to an actual match scenario, especially online, is proving a bit tricky for me.
The B23 tick i think is more effective on long delayed get up because they only block the shoulder then immediate tick but confirming the tick on any blocked B23 is also important. Trying to work the D1 tick OS in but keep messing it up in matches and having it come out on hit but in training is pretty easy

The B23 tick i think is more effective on long delayed get up because they only block the shoulder then immediate tick but confirming the tick on any blocked B23 is also important. Trying to work the D1 tick OS in but keep messing it up in matches and having it come out on hit but in training is pretty easy
I spent soooo long practicing that with Commando Kano. Felt like a boss when it worked though.

On a related note, does f2d-dbf3 work 100% of the time? If I set the dummy to stand and random block, it works on block and hit, but I had it on crouch and block all yesterday (can't remember why), and the throw would whiff after the dummy stood to block the f2d.

Dead5am

Part-Time Baby Maker
Can anyone give a non-bane player a quick rundown on how his venom trait works, please?
Activating venom gives Bane one hit of armor on all of his specials, as well as reduced damage taken and an overall damage boost. After the trait expires, Bane goes into a debuff state where he deals reduced damage, takes extra damage, and has slowed movement/jump speed.

Venom has 3 levels:
  • Level 1 - Smallest damage boost & debuff state, shortest cooldown
  • Level 2 - Medium damage boost & debuff state, medium cooldown
  • Level 3 - Big ol' damage boost, ungodly debuff state, borderline suicidal cooldown length.

Last edited:

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Activating venom gives Bane one hit of armor on all of his specials, as well as reduced damage taken and an overall damage boost. After the trait expires, Bane goes into a debuff state where he deals reduced damage, takes extra damage, and has slowed movement/jump speed.

Venom has 3 levels:
  • Level 1 - Smallest damage boost & debuff state, shortest cooldown
  • Level 2 - Medium damage boost & debuff state, medium cooldown
  • Level 3 - Big ol' damage boost, ungodly debuff state, borderline suicidal cooldown length.
That's perfect. Thank you.

Skedar70

Noob
Why is everyone putting bane so up in the tiers? Doesn't he get zoned out in this game. Or is Bio mopping all the top players in casual sets that nobody has seen?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Why is everyone putting bane so up in the tiers? Doesn't he get zoned out in this game. Or is Bio mopping all the top players in casual sets that nobody has seen?
Even if he is thats a shit reason. They are just scared of an IGAU 1 repeat scenario. No one knows where he is right now at a high level, there are lots of new intricacies to the character that may or may not make the difference in certain match ups.

"There is more work to be done"

I'm pessimistic about his placement personally. It's not like he's bad per se, but it seems like to succeed he needs to commit to a lot of risky stuff to condition the opponent, and play a lot of footsies since it seems like most of his rushdown/oki pressure is gone due to worse dash, less hit adv on his specials, delayed wakeups, risky specials, less plus frames all around, etc.

Which is fine--d1 and grab still work well as footsies tools, so he doesn't necessarily have to be the bulldog that he was in IGAU. It's just that there are a lot of characters that not only play better footsies, but they are safe while doing it. But, we'll see as time goes on.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Maybe he'll end up being top 10 when ppl optimize the character in tournament play, but after what I saw at combo breaker, its pretty hard to put him there right now imo. Bio had to switch to Harley against Reo's Superman and he got mopped by Noobe with pretty much one button. Then there was him being eliminated almost solely because of the refreshing debuff. I don't think that kinda stuff happens to top 10 chars.

But atm, there's only 7, maybe 8 chars that I feel I can comfortably say are probably top tier, so maybe Bane is in top 10. Need more time to know for sure.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Maybe he'll end up being top 10 when ppl optimize the character in tournament play, but after what I saw at combo breaker, its pretty hard to put him there right now imo. Bio had to switch to Harley against Reo's Superman and he got mopped by Noobe with pretty much one button. Then there was him being eliminated almost solely because of the refreshing debuff. I don't think that kinda stuff happens to top 10 chars.

But atm, there's only 7, maybe 8 chars that I feel I can comfortably say are probably top tier, so maybe Bane is in top 10. Need more time to know for sure.

Cheetah's f3 and d3 are stupid as hell, but that doesnt mean that Bane cant do well against her.
I believe Bio probably didnt practice, or didnt know, the MU well enough.

If anything, her sweep and f3 should be nerfed cause having a f3 with that range, being plus on block, leading to a ton of dmg AND being an OH is stupid af.

Her sweep reminds me of DD's sweep which was stupid as hell in IGAU1 (and thats coming from a DD player).

I believe Bane is among the most honest and balanced characters in the game, so far. Top 10? Dont think so. Viable? Totally. Its just that he is a character who really shines depending on the player who uses him.

Characters like Superman or Batman, just to name some, dont require such a strong player to achieve some wins, especially in a tournament/competitive enviroment.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Cheetah is not bad for Bane lol

I didnt see his matches but losing to a new character at a week 2 tournament does not mean its a bad match up

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I wasn't meaning to highlight Cheetah as a bad MU (I haven't played it enough yet to know) but outlining how effective MB B3/F3 is against Bane.

With no multihitting specials and super slow normals, the only reliable way of stopping it I've found so far is his 11 string or level 3 venom. 11 starts with a high and has poor range so if the opponent has a F3/B3 that outranges that string then there's not much risk to it other than level 3 venom, which is as close as you can get to a death sentence, especially in the second round.

And it's not like Bane can just dash up and 11 people either. Aside from it having bad recovery, most characters have projectiles and many can't be dashed thru, which means you have to inch forward, all while they're building meter and you're not. Then there's chars without projectiles, like Catwoman, that still control space very well. My point being that it's overwhelmingly harder and more risky for Bane to deal with MB B3/F3 than it is for just about any char to throw it out.

I've played and watched a shit ton of matches and MB B3/F3 is by FAR the thing I see Banes getting bodied by the most, next being Superman in general lol. If I'm wrong or any of yall know of better ways to deal with it, I'm all ears. Pls...:(

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I know this is hard for people to accept, but maybe the top players putting Bane high are just... wrong? Last I checked nobody that plays NRS games well consistently ever played a non-projectile grappler character before. I think Bane sucks and they're just all wrong. Them having more wins than me doesn't change my opinion.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I know this is hard for people to accept, but maybe the top players putting Bane high are just... wrong? Last I checked nobody that plays NRS games well consistently ever played a non-projectile grappler character before. I think Bane sucks and they're just all wrong. Them having more wins than me doesn't change my opinion.
He doesn't suck, it's just tough for him to get in and stay in

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Mb b3 is a crutch against bane sure but it can be baited and the same way they use armor to beat our armor (by doing it after ours, absorbing our armored move, and hitting us during the recovery frames) Bane can do to them too.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
I feel like most of the people who lose to Bane respect him way too much.

You aren't supposed to give a grappler respect, that's how you lose. I guess my question is if it's the player that commands that or just how the character works himself that make people a little too respectful. Because as mentioned before, characters like Cheetah, Catwoman, and Supes can really give Bane a hard time.