What's new

Enter the Bane: General Discussion

How the hell does Bane deal with wakeup backdash?
Wake up back dash isn't the worst thing to deal with. Even if they escape a set up without a scratch, they push themselves further into the corner, which is where you want them. It's frustrating when you're fighting to get in and your opponent escapes, but they can only back up so far until the wall limits their options (Interactibles and teleports not withstanding).

The biggest adaptation you can make is keeping calm, recognise the positional advantage and press forward. The calmer you remain, the better decisions you will make, and the more wins you'll accrue.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
The sonicfox "tier list" put bane at number 8 do you guys agree with that, hes in top 10 characters?
No. He's most likely basing it on Bio and the tourney showing he's created thus far, where he ran through people who didn't know the matchup and then switched to Harley against players who did/characters that he needed to.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
When I play bane I typically oki conservatively. D1 is my best friend and I'm still trying to be as safe as possible, conditioning is much more important than doing tick throws. For example I'd rather d1 or any string really and stagger it and then grab since once I've done it you have to deal with the grab. If I hit you with it and grab whiffs I just left myself open for full combo. Also when pressuring you on your knockdown I will more often than not go for grabs as it is harder for most characters to punish whiffed grab than a blocked dp or elbow drop.
When venom is out don't be afraid to mb f3 as they may start pushing buttons if your venom is out

Skedar70

Noob
How do you pressure with Bane if at point blank his pokes are too slow? d1 is 12 frames. So I feel like the opponent can just keep doing string after string and I can't get out

Played a few sets offline last night, against a solid friend. Was pretty chuffed to see that I could confirm the b23 tick consistently despite my issues online. After conditioning him to block with b21, the b23-grab/combo confirm and f2d-grab became almost free.

Arzumis

Noob
Whats your guys go to after hitting d1? Also what are his useful strings? Mainly using specials and don't know how to apply his normals ingame.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Whats your guys go to after hitting d1? Also what are his useful strings? Mainly using specials and don't know how to apply his normals ingame.
You can go for a S1 or B2 if you're close enough, otherwsie I either d1 again, command grab or elbow.
His normals outside of d1 are pretty bad, most are too slow to to get much mileage out of, that said, I love abusing the crap out of F2 cancels and F2D when I'm at level 3 venom.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
After d1 on hit Bane is +17, so... whatever you want.

Normals in the neutral? D1, d2, 112d2, b112, b21, b23. Mostly tick throws. Bane really shines after knocking the opponent down, so try to do that first.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
After d1 on hit Bane is +17, so... whatever you want.

Normals in the neutral? D1, d2, 112d2, b112, b21, b23. Mostly tick throws. Bane really shines after knocking the opponent down, so try to do that first.
It's +17 but not everything will reach from a lot of D1 ranges.

At any range other than max range D2 tick is a solid option where they will jailed into blocking the D2.

My go to as of now though is micro step forward then 112D. The D1 on hit restands them so even though 11 starts high they will still be jailed into blocking it. From here he has like 10 different options he can confirm into on hit or block and basically end however he wants:

If they disrespect the D1 on hit then 112D on hit can be confirmed into charge/ring toss for solid damage and side switch, bane bomb/elbow for HKD, or MB B3 for big damage. If mid screen though I recommend just finishing the string into 112D3 for the corner carry and HKD with respectable damage for a lone string.

On block you can 112 dash cancel into whatever, 112D2 for plus frames, 112D xx command grab tick throw, or 112D3 to catch people jumping or dashing the tick throw.

I'm really liking 112D and all the options right now. Currently using micro step forward D1s on knockdown to true punish wake up back dash after the invincible frames into the free 112D options and really liking it

Edit: gonna make a quick vid on this. I think it's really important to his gameplay now

Last edited:
I just recorded the dummy to do d1 followed by 11d2, and then tested it against Joker's d1 (6 frames). I allowed myself to get his by Banes d1, the immediately mashed out a d1 from Joker. It would hit randomly. I then tested it against Joker's d3 (14 frames), and even after getting hit by the d1, he was able to duck, low profile the first 1 of 11d2, cause the second to whiff, and sweep Bane. The second 1 of 11 seems to have either a very narrow hit box that misses due to pushback on the d1, or it isn't a true mid.

Edit: Turns out Joker can duck then mash out a b1, standing 2, standing 3, armoured b3 and f3; basically all of his combo starters.

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I just recorded the dummy to do d1 followed by 11d2, and then tested it against Joker's d1 (6 frames). I allowed myself to get his by Banes d1, the immediately mashed out a d1 from Joker. It would hit randomly. I then tested it against Joker's d3 (14 frames), and even after getting hit by the d1, he was able to duck, low profile the first 1 of 11d2, cause the second to whiff, and sweep Bane. The second 1 of 11 seems to have either a very narrow hit box that misses due to pushback on the d1, or it isn't a true mid.

Edit: Turns out Joker can duck then mash out a b1, standing 2, standing 3, armoured b3 and f3; basically all of his combo starters.
You're not timing the walk forward 1 right then. I'm doing the same thing in training now and he cannot mash or duck out of the 1 after D1 on hit at all

You're not timing the walk forward 1 right then. I'm doing the same thing in training now and he cannot mash or duck out of the 1 after D1 on hit at all
Would it be possible for you to record it so I can see what you're doing that I'm not? I'm doing a walk forward, but that just seems to make it easier to mash out a d1 with Joker.