What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm terrible at the game, I've been beating all the bosses with cheese tactics. Mimic tear, casting spells from outside the fog door, golden retaliation etc ...

I killed the Black Blade Kindred by shooting arrows from inside the sanctum.
I mean if that’s how you wanna play, but I definitely would advise against it. Most of the fun of these games is getting better, and finally defeating a difficult boss. The gratification you get is unrivaled in really any other PvE game imo. Like I said, you’re gonna play it however you want, I’m just saying you’re missing out on greatness!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm terrible at the game, I've been beating all the bosses with cheese tactics. Mimic tear, casting spells from outside the fog door, golden retaliation etc ...

I'd bet you'd get the hang of it if you tried.

You're doing fine, cheese it up to your heart's content, there is no invalid way to clear the game.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
You're doing fine, cheese it up to your heart's content, there is no invalid way to clear the game.
Honestly I’m doing my best not to cheese it but I’m slowly trying to grade up any self imposed challenges over time as I get better at the game. Like yeah on one of the guys that killed me I shamelessly back stabbed him and ran away till he died the first time, and now I can fight him normally. It’s a minuscule baby step in the grand scheme of the game but it’s progress nonetheless. It reminds me of the principles of strength training when I help new lifters. Some people can’t even bench press an empty barbell, so we start with push ups, sometimes assisted push ups, but eventually the end result is the same, we all just have different starting places. Same thing with games or anything that requires skill and / or time to excel in.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Game's fun. Character started as Dex/Int Prisoner utilizing spells and the Estoc + a magical ash of war. Once completing a certain questline, I got my hands on a more strength oriented sword. Have since respec'd into being a bulky melee mage swingin around said sword. It's EXTREMELY satisfying, mostly due to being someone with a lot of posture damage in melee combat while also being able to cheese out from a distance when the game throws dumb shit at me. I'm through a vast majority of the game with just two areas remaining, one of which being the final area. Around level 156(?) IIRC.

Character #2 is definitely going to be an Arcane Frost/Bleed build once they fix arcane weapons' arcane scaling not existing properly.

This is also by far my favorite spell in the game, so much so that I'm using the Staff of Loss just to buff it. Tossing the arcing projectile to mist up areas with group ambushes, onto big enemies in small spaces they expect you to drop into, on top of myself as enemies charge at me then running just outside of it to push them back in / keep them in it, onto Crystalline enemies cause I'm too stubborn to swap over to a strike weapon, beginning fights by tossing it onto non-aggro'd enemies -- it's all just so damn good. Toss on Old Lord's Talisman, Godfrey's Icon, and Graven-mass Talisman to double down on abusing its power.

Margit: ultimate filter. Intentionally designed to get you used to how bosses are designed in the game. Rough go at first but came back after exploring all of Limgrave + some of Caelid to crush him.
Leonine Misbegotten: whatever. A miniboss enemy made to be a boss early to teach you how the Misbegotten Warriors work. Went fine with Carian Slicer between his high aggression combos.
Godrick: extremely easy. Genuinely shocked when people have a hard time with him, especially phase 2 where he stuns himself for a good 4-5 seconds breathing easily avoidable fire.
Ancestor Spirit / Greater Ancestor Spirits: best fights in the game hands down. They're both super easy; but the combination of the music, visuals, environment, and buildup in Siofra all make for weirdly peaceful fights. 10/10 content.
Radagon Wolf: same as Leonine Misbegotten. Just a miniboss enemy made to be a boss on your expected first encounter. No deaths, though quite close. Very much just a magical Sif fight.
Rennala: phase 1 is just a puzzle so not hard. Phase 2 is extremely resistant to magic which I didn't realize until after. Took a good 4-5 tries due to how little damage I did to her. Felt like karma of making a boss that's just a DS1 giga caster.
Loretta: cool, if easy. Just a magical Tree Sentinel, though I will say that any enemy that uses a form of the Phalanx spell is always quite scary if you're unprepared.
Wyrm Makar: it's a magma worm but a boss. Not a lot to it nor anything worth remembering.
Radahn: the infamous gravity boy that I gave up caring to "fight" and just cheesed. Typical Fromsoft annoying "big boss" design wherein everything just about one-shots you or combos you to death while being unable to appropriately see what's going on while in close range. Spammed resummons and shot with Loretta's Greatbow from a distance until death. Fuck Radahn. Me and my homies hate Radahn.
Mimic Tear: it's you but stupid and with 1 flask charge. Next.
Dragonkin of Nokstella: I.. honestly don't even remember this fight at all. Got the achievement at least I guess? Clearly not memorable at all.
Valiant Gargoyles: it's two big gargoyles together. One was busy fighting Luhtel while the other fought me. No deaths as it's just a normal gargoyle fight when the other is distracted. Nice callback to DS1.
Astel: hi, Bloodborne boss. Cool as hell and not overly difficult, though by far the strangest fight so far. His attack patterns were very weird when combined with his teleporting.
Elemer of the Briar: lightsaber throwing motherfucker was BRUTAL to me. Honestly shocked I got him down on try 3-4 as that's when I was still dex-focused with nothing resembling posture damage on enemies and just using Estoc + Staff.
Rykard: more of a spectacle than a fight. Fun as hell though, and I wish there was some way to turn that swordspear on during other content.
Mohg (Nokron): did the cheese for the runes. Don't judge me.
Godfrey: definitely did not go down the "expected" route of the game's progression so I walked into the fight with a +10 mimic tear and +10 unique greatsword. He died in about 5 hits from me + the tear's damage. Can't speak to his design at all.
Morgott: obliterated with Melina and Tiche. Fucked up his posture into visceral attacks twice and he was gone. Again, I was way overgeared and overleveled for Leyndell content.
Niall: had already fought his rot variant in Caelid so was prepared. Tear took aggro to start so I could take out his ghostly anime swordsmen. He fell super easily after that cause of his simple attack chains.
Fire Giant: close call on attempt 1, though done deathless. Kinda funny how his arena screams "Use Torrent!" but Torrent is 100% a death wish. Not too bad overall, though trying to safely get damage in on phase 2 wasn't the most fun endeavor.
Mohg (Sewers): made a mockery of. He's a squishy boy who is reliant on bleed chains so he melted with ease.
Fortissax: I actually found him on accident as I was figuring out Fia's questline. Stumbled into her involvement with needing something from Ranni's questline and was curious how it worked. Found Fia asleep and then found myself fighting a dragon. Cool as hell aesthetic with lightning that calls down death clouds. Easy fight overall, though.
Godskin Duo: it's the annoying ass godskins... but together! Tear took on the lanky one and I crushed the chunky one. Watched as chunky respawned alone and died horribly. Done.
Maliketh: can absolutely fuck off. Got him try 3 when he got kinda stuck on one of the pillars mashing one of his wild attack combo strings into the pillar with no threat while I wailed on him. Was struggling to find when it was my turn to get any damage in during this fight. Throw in the max HP reduction from his hits and it was not a good time.
Placidusax: down on attempt 2 after some talisman swapping. Coolest boss attacks I've seen from ANY Fromsoft game so far. Not exceedingly difficult, but definitely designed around hard punishing greed. I will 100% be trying his weapon at some point down the line.

Side note: the frost storm spell works wonders against any and all dragons. It builds a ton of frostbite on them despite their resistances and can be safely done if you roll into / under them during their obligatory 2- or 3-hit chain melee hand slams. A couple hits from a frostbite weapon and they're frostbitten.

Will be heading into the Haligtree soon to take on Loretta 2.0 and Malenia. Interested to see how much Malenia is gunna style on me.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Game's fun. Character started as Dex/Int Prisoner utilizing spells and the Estoc + a magical ash of war. Once completing a certain questline, I got my hands on a more strength oriented sword. Have since respec'd into being a bulky melee mage swingin around said sword. It's EXTREMELY satisfying, mostly due to being someone with a lot of posture damage in melee combat while also being able to cheese out from a distance when the game throws dumb shit at me. I'm through a vast majority of the game with just two areas remaining, one of which being the final area. Around level 156(?) IIRC.

Character #2 is definitely going to be an Arcane Frost/Bleed build once they fix arcane weapons' arcane scaling not existing properly.

View attachment 18555
This is also by far my favorite spell in the game, so much so that I'm using the Staff of Loss just to buff it. Tossing the arcing projectile to mist up areas with group ambushes, onto big enemies in small spaces they expect you to drop into, on top of myself as enemies charge at me then running just outside of it to push them back in / keep them in it, onto Crystalline enemies cause I'm too stubborn to swap over to a strike weapon, beginning fights by tossing it onto non-aggro'd enemies -- it's all just so damn good. Toss on Old Lord's Talisman, Godfrey's Icon, and Graven-mass Talisman to double down on abusing its power.

Margit: ultimate filter. Intentionally designed to get you used to how bosses are designed in the game. Rough go at first but came back after exploring all of Limgrave + some of Caelid to crush him.
Leonine Misbegotten: whatever. A miniboss enemy made to be a boss early to teach you how the Misbegotten Warriors work. Went fine with Carian Slicer between his high aggression combos.
Godrick: extremely easy. Genuinely shocked when people have a hard time with him, especially phase 2 where he stuns himself for a good 4-5 seconds breathing easily avoidable fire.
Ancestor Spirit / Greater Ancestor Spirits: best fights in the game hands down. They're both super easy; but the combination of the music, visuals, environment, and buildup in Siofra all make for weirdly peaceful fights. 10/10 content.
Radagon Wolf: same as Leonine Misbegotten. Just a miniboss enemy made to be a boss on your expected first encounter. No deaths, though quite close. Very much just a magical Sif fight.
Rennala: phase 1 is just a puzzle so not hard. Phase 2 is extremely resistant to magic which I didn't realize until after. Took a good 4-5 tries due to how little damage I did to her. Felt like karma of making a boss that's just a DS1 giga caster.
Loretta: cool, if easy. Just a magical Tree Sentinel, though I will say that any enemy that uses a form of the Phalanx spell is always quite scary if you're unprepared.
Wyrm Makar: it's a magma worm but a boss. Not a lot to it nor anything worth remembering.
Radahn: the infamous gravity boy that I gave up caring to "fight" and just cheesed. Typical Fromsoft annoying "big boss" design wherein everything just about one-shots you or combos you to death while being unable to appropriately see what's going on while in close range. Spammed resummons and shot with Loretta's Greatbow from a distance until death. Fuck Radahn. Me and my homies hate Radahn.
Mimic Tear: it's you but stupid and with 1 flask charge. Next.
Dragonkin of Nokstella: I.. honestly don't even remember this fight at all. Got the achievement at least I guess? Clearly not memorable at all.
Valiant Gargoyles: it's two big gargoyles together. One was busy fighting Luhtel while the other fought me. No deaths as it's just a normal gargoyle fight when the other is distracted. Nice callback to DS1.
Astel: hi, Bloodborne boss. Cool as hell and not overly difficult, though by far the strangest fight so far. His attack patterns were very weird when combined with his teleporting.
Elemer of the Briar: lightsaber throwing motherfucker was BRUTAL to me. Honestly shocked I got him down on try 3-4 as that's when I was still dex-focused with nothing resembling posture damage on enemies and just using Estoc + Staff.
Rykard: more of a spectacle than a fight. Fun as hell though, and I wish there was some way to turn that swordspear on during other content.
Mohg (Nokron): did the cheese for the runes. Don't judge me.
Godfrey: definitely did not go down the "expected" route of the game's progression so I walked into the fight with a +10 mimic tear and +10 unique greatsword. He died in about 5 hits from me + the tear's damage. Can't speak to his design at all.
Morgott: obliterated with Melina and Tiche. Fucked up his posture into visceral attacks twice and he was gone. Again, I was way overgeared and overleveled for Leyndell content.
Niall: had already fought his rot variant in Caelid so was prepared. Tear took aggro to start so I could take out his ghostly anime swordsmen. He fell super easily after that cause of his simple attack chains.
Fire Giant: close call on attempt 1, though done deathless. Kinda funny how his arena screams "Use Torrent!" but Torrent is 100% a death wish. Not too bad overall, though trying to safely get damage in on phase 2 wasn't the most fun endeavor.
Mohg (Sewers): made a mockery of. He's a squishy boy who is reliant on bleed chains so he melted with ease.
Fortissax: I actually found him on accident as I was figuring out Fia's questline. Stumbled into her involvement with needing something from Ranni's questline and was curious how it worked. Found Fia asleep and then found myself fighting a dragon. Cool as hell aesthetic with lightning that calls down death clouds. Easy fight overall, though.
Godskin Duo: it's the annoying ass godskins... but together! Tear took on the lanky one and I crushed the chunky one. Watched as chunky respawned alone and died horribly. Done.
Maliketh: can absolutely fuck off. Got him try 3 when he got kinda stuck on one of the pillars mashing one of his wild attack combo strings into the pillar with no threat while I wailed on him. Was struggling to find when it was my turn to get any damage in during this fight. Throw in the max HP reduction from his hits and it was not a good time.
Placidusax: down on attempt 2 after some talisman swapping. Coolest boss attacks I've seen from ANY Fromsoft game so far. Not exceedingly difficult, but definitely designed around hard punishing greed. I will 100% be trying his weapon at some point down the line.

Side note: the frost storm spell works wonders against any and all dragons. It builds a ton of frostbite on them despite their resistances and can be safely done if you roll into / under them during their obligatory 2- or 3-hit chain melee hand slams. A couple hits from a frostbite weapon and they're frostbitten.

Will be heading into the Haligtree soon to take on Loretta 2.0 and Malenia. Interested to see how much Malenia is gunna style on me.
I think at a lvl 156 and +10 mimic you will destroy whatever is left in the game without much thought.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Man, Hoarfrost Stomp is OP in PvE and PvP. Probably one of the best Ashes of War based on how good it is and overall utility and versatility. Plus, it’s really cool how with the Ashes of War work as far as being able to choose the affinity. Meaning if you don’t want the Hoarfrost Stomp to change your weapon to split its damage with Frost or Magic, you don’t have to, and can just choose “Standard”. If splitting damage is anything like previous Soulsborne games, it’s never a good idea to have a weapon that has split damage built in, and always better to have a standard, keen, heavy, or quality affinity and then just buff your weapon with either a consumable buff or a spell/incantation.

Unfortunately, I think with this Ashes of War system, PvP is gonna boil down to people using the same handful of Ashes with the “best” weapons. But I guess we’ll see.

People haven't figured out they can jump the stomp yet. I've been keeping it on a backup weapon just in case I see someone tryin to use death aura on me, but so far haven't seen one yet lol.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I think at a lvl 156 and +10 mimic you will destroy whatever is left in the game without much thought.
Strongly disagree on the "without much thought" piece. Being this level and having a maxed tear / Lhutel / Tiche mostly just provides a ton of damage output while bosses still chain massive damage attacks that have the ability to potentially combo you to death. That, or they leave you near death and needing to retreat to heal while having to perfectly avoid whatever comes next to even get that chance. They definitely considered summons when balancing bosses, both in their damage output and their mobility. Singular mistakes are very costly so the typical Fromsoft learning cliff of each boss still is present, even if you and your summon can pump out thousands of damage when given the chance. Maliketh is a perfect example as he's flipping around everywhere while doing large arc swings and explosions, leaving the player with minimal windows of opportunity to safely get in damage or heal. Fortissax, Placidusax, and Fire Giant are also great examples as they're extremely difficult to chain enough big hits to stagger, have multiple attacks to punish whatever avenue of attack you're going for on their bodies, regularly move themselves outside of harm's way while also attacking, put down hazard areas that absolutely must be avoided, will shave off well over half your life even with the "small" hits without multiple damage resistance talismans, and have more than enough AoE to shut down both you and your summon at the same time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What does a “+10 mimic” mean? Or “maxed tear”?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Referring to a specific spirit ash summon.
Gotcha. I’ve been using the Lhutel around +4 or so and he’s fcking insanely good in boss fights. Might stop using spirit ashes, for me it makes some of the boss fights a bit too easy, especially with ones like Lhutel which feels essentially like a summon.

I haven't leveled any of mine yet, I can't decide who I want to invest in lol.
Love the Marionette Soldiers though, their flailing is too funny.
Bubble shield from the one perfumer is pretty rad though...

Lhutel seems sick too, see this is my problem.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I haven't leveled any of mine yet, I can't decide who I want to invest in lol.
Love the Marionette Soldiers though, their flailing is too funny.
Bubble shield from the one perfumer is pretty rad though...

Lhutel seems sick too, see this is my problem.
You get more than enough upgrade material to upgrade several of them to test them out upgraded ;)

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Strongly disagree on the "without much thought" piece. Being this level and having a maxed tear / Lhutel / Tiche mostly just provides a ton of damage output while bosses still chain massive damage attacks that have the ability to potentially combo you to death. That, or they leave you near death and needing to retreat to heal while having to perfectly avoid whatever comes next to even get that chance. They definitely considered summons when balancing bosses, both in their damage output and their mobility. Singular mistakes are very costly so the typical Fromsoft learning cliff of each boss still is present, even if you and your summon can pump out thousands of damage when given the chance. Maliketh is a perfect example as he's flipping around everywhere while doing large arc swings and explosions, leaving the player with minimal windows of opportunity to safely get in damage or heal. Fortissax, Placidusax, and Fire Giant are also great examples as they're extremely difficult to chain enough big hits to stagger, have multiple attacks to punish whatever avenue of attack you're going for on their bodies, regularly move themselves outside of harm's way while also attacking, put down hazard areas that absolutely must be avoided, will shave off well over half your life even with the "small" hits without multiple damage resistance talismans, and have more than enough AoE to shut down both you and your summon at the same time.
I don't know, I do not think it is too far off. I had not reached any of those bosses you mentioned so I just picked fortisaxx and b-lined to him. The only thing hard about that boss is the fucking shitty camera making the fight harder than it needed to be. Once I realized to stop using lock on I beat him first try and it took 4 tries total. My vigor barely at 30 and I was lvl 80 also using the talisman that makes you take more damage. He did not hit very hard at all with plenty of time to heal.

I will try some of the other ones but I have like 4-5 main bosses to go and don't know how to get to them. I will try the Maliketh boss if I can reach him from where I am in the story. I am no souls pro, the only one I completed was demon souls on ps3 way back in the day and that game felt 100x more difficult than this game.

The only thing hard about this game so far is the shitty camera and lock on system and I will die on that damn hill lol.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Not a spoiler, just a screenshot in a starting area. But I really love the atmosphere. This game is beautiful.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My very first invasion. Tbh the only reason I did it was to try it out but also to try and kill the host to get a Rune Arc, because I was completely out. But yeah, my build definitely isn’t setup for PvP yet at all, my weapons DO do a lot of dammy tho, so that’s nice, this invasion was pretty hilarious, got 3v1’d which I assume is gonna be the norm for invasions. I doubt there’s gonna be many people using the Taunter’s Tongue (the item that allows you to be invaded if you’re solo).

Anyway, here it is:
Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, I’m level 77. Oh and still not even close to beating the game. After this invasion (only did this one because I did it while I was getting ready for work, lol), it makes me want to do more PvP before I get too high leveled to where everyone has insane builds. So I probably will get the infinite invading finger thing and do a bunch of invasions. It’ll be good to practice and plus I need to stock up on Rune Arc’s anyway.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bro that wasn't quite a 1v3; you had the lift on your team lmao.
Also lol at the quick "hey" before the fight broke out.
Good kill.
That shit had me dying, they kept making it so easy on me. Such a nice group eh? Lmao

Oh and I actually looked for them for a couple of minutes before I realized that there’s those 3 consumables you get when you invade that can either TP you near them, or away from them. Once I realized it, I TP’d right to them, that in itself made me laugh considering how long I was looking for them. AND based on where I spawned, it woulda taken me forever to get to them if it weren’t for that item. Definitely a dope addition to the invaders in this game!

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
That shit had me dying, they kept making it so easy on me. Such a nice group eh? Lmao

Oh and I actually looked for them for a couple of minutes before I realized that there’s those 3 consumables you get when you invade that can either TP you near them, or away from them. Once I realized it, I TP’d right to them, that in itself made me laugh considering how long I was looking for them. AND based on where I spawned, it woulda taken me forever to get to them if it weren’t for that item. Definitely a dope addition to the invaders in this game!
You can spot their direction in the compass.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can spot their direction in the compass.
Gotcha, I figured that’s what that was on my compass, which is why I angled my camera that way before I TP’d (no idea if that matters or not, first time I’ve ever used it lol).

Pretty sure you can use the tp finger during combat as an escape if you need to regroup, too.
Yup, that’s what I meant by “TP’ing away”. I saw a few videos/clips of people doing that during the Network Test.

Anyway, yeah, definitely looking forward to doing more invasions after I get off of work. Like I was saying earlier, the earlier I can try out PvP, both level wise and just overall time wise, the better. I get to play against people that don’t have fully developed builds, or PvP builds, and I bet most people you’re going to invade (at least for right now) are more than likely not going to be amazing at the game (considering they’re summoning people to help them, unless of course it’s as I said and it’s the rare occurrence of someone using the Taunter’s Tongue), and the fact that right now there’s probably not A LOT of amazing PvP’ers yet. Time to stock up on that PvP experience and Rune Arc’s!

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Anyway, yeah, definitely looking forward to doing more invasions after I get off of work. Like I was saying earlier, the earlier I can try out PvP, both level wise and just overall time wise, the better. I get to play against people that don’t have fully developed builds, or PvP builds, and I bet most people you’re going to invade (at least for right now) are more than likely not going to be amazing at the game (considering they’re summoning people to help them, unless of course it’s as I said and it’s the rare occurrence of someone using the Taunter’s Tongue), and the fact that right now there’s probably not A LOT of amazing PvP’ers yet. Time to stock up on that PvP experience and Rune Arc’s!
Invasions not really fun to me at least. You are always facing 3 people if not they summon them right away. They stay in one spot out in the open and just wait. Usually a mage and a tank you get close they do rot breath while mage shoots magic at you and the other person chases you down with the other shooting lightning bolts at you. I have done at least a hundred invasion and 90% of them are just as I described.

You may get lucky and catch people while they are fighting a tough open world boss but thats random. I was super excited for them but they ended up pretty lame and not worth the time. I may be missing something but once you start invading people that are geared and grouped it is rough as fuck.