What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Pro Tip: Vigor is way more important in this game than in any other Soulsborne game. Both in PvE and in PvP. I’d recommend a minimum base of at least 40 vigor.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Got the full Banished Knight armor set. It’s super good especially since it’s non end game armor. Just takes a little bit of farming. However, you can only get the altered version of the chest piece until late game. Which isn’t a super big deal, but the unaltered version is obviously better and looks cooler, lol. Full set gives you 57 poise btw.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Hmm, beat Starscourge Radahn first try. He was a lot easier than I was expecting. Not only because of all the in game theatrics leading up to him, but also based on what others have said. But apparently he was nerfed in the patch or something? Idk why, maybe being level 80 was overleveled for him? I thought I was underleveled and that I’d be trying to beat him for awhile. But nope, bopped him fairly easily, only used a couple of my healing flasks too…

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
We need to make an elite club for those who beat Radahn before the nerf. He literally killed me 18 times before i managed to kill him, being a glass canon mage did not help in that fight one bit XD

Darth-Nero

Also the serpent slayer does less dmg now against the god-eater serpent (but fb cost got lowered too) so goodluck with that fight when you get there.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
We need to make an elite club for those who beat Radahn before the nerf. He literally killed me 18 times before i managed to kill him, being a glass canon mage did not help in that fight one bit XD
I’m actually kinda pissed a fucking boss was nerfed in a Souls(like) game. And what did they even nerf? Because he was almost pathetically easy. I was around level 80 with a +14 Greatsword that I buffed with a Fire Grease in case anyone was wondering. Oh and the GS just has the Bloodhound step for its AoW, which I DID use for the boss fight.

Darth-Nero

I’m actually kinda pissed a fucking boss was nerfed in a Souls(like) game. And what did they even nerf? Because he was almost pathetically easy. I was around level 80 with a +14 Greatsword that I buffed with a Fire Grease in case anyone was wondering. Oh and the GS just has the Bloodhound step for its AoW, which I DID use for the boss fight.
They significantly dumbed down his AI, before the nerf he was always locked on to you until he gets multiple hits by other summons and as soon as you hit him once he locks on to you again ignoring other summons. The fight was excruciatingly hard for both casters and close combat players alike. However satisfying when you finally manage to beat him, as per usual in souls games.

He was memed to death as one of the hardest bosses in the game, but he isn't. he's just the 1st demi-god you fight in the main quest, ofc the fight is going to be difficult. But instead of learning his patterns and keep trying, i guess it's easier to cry about it until the devs nerf him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They significantly dumbed down his AI, before the nerf he was always locked on to you until he gets multiple hits by other summons and as soon as you hit him once he locks on to you again ignoring other summons. The fight was excruciatingly hard for both casters and close combat players alike. However satisfying when you finally manage to beat him, as per usual in souls games.

He was memed to death as one of the hardest bosses in the game, but he isn't. he's just the 1st demi-god you fight in the main quest, ofc the fight is going to be difficult. But instead of learning his patterns and keep trying, i guess it's easier to cry about it until the devs nerf him.
I only summoned in the NPC Raidd because I figured I had to for the Ranni (and his) questline. First time I’ve actually summoned an NPC into a boss fight (and I NEVER summon in another player), I usually never summon on my first playthrough as I’ve mentioned several times before. But as I said, I’m pretty sure I needed to summon him for some questline shhtuff.

If all they changed was his AI, and not his damage dealt or health, I think I pretty much fought the same Boss as you did. He was on me constantly, I just had good armor a good weapon, and I’m good at the game, lol.

Side note, speaking of the Ranni questline, maaan, it’s probably the longest and most detailed NPC questline I’ve experienced in a Soulsborne game. There may be longer or more intricate ones in this game, but this one is insane. The amount of stuff you have to do, all the lore, the amount of places you have to go, bosses and sub-bosses you have to beat… there’s not a single CHANCE in hell ANYONE would be able to complete this questline without a guide. No possible way. Anyway, at the end of it you get the Darkmoon Greatsword, aka Elden Rings version of the Moonlight Greatsword. Even tho I’m not a mage, I’ve used it in every single Soulsborne game it has been in. And in this questline you get a ton of Larval Tears for respec’ing anyway, so I’ll respec to use it once I get it. I’ll also have to respec for the Rivers of Blood katana build as well. At this point, I don’t really see myself making very many multiple characters like I normally do. There’s just waaaay too much to this game to do it on multiple characters imo. I ain’t got that kinda time. I’m 80 hours in and I’m probably only halfway done with the game at this point, maybe a little over half but not by very much. Can’t imagine doing even a fraction of this stuff over again on a new character. ¯\(ツ)

Darth-Nero

I only summoned in the NPC Raidd because I figured I had to for the Ranni (and his) questline. First time I’ve actually summoned an NPC into a boss fight (and I NEVER summon in another player), I usually never summon on my first playthrough as I’ve mentioned several times before. But as I said, I’m pretty sure I needed to summon him for some questline shhtuff.

If all they changed was his AI, and not his damage dealt or health, I think I pretty much fought the same Boss as you did. He was on me constantly, I just had good armor a good weapon, and I’m good at the game, lol.

Side note, speaking of the Ranni questline, maaan, it’s probably the longest and most detailed NPC questline I’ve experienced in a Soulsborne game. There may be longer or more intricate ones in this game, but this one is insane. The amount of stuff you have to do, all the lore, the amount of places you have to go, bosses and sub-bosses you have to beat… there’s not a single CHANCE in hell ANYONE would be able to complete this questline without a guide. No possible way. Anyway, at the end of it you get the Darkmoon Greatsword, aka Elden Rings version of the Moonlight Greatsword. Even tho I’m not a mage, I’ve used it in every single Soulsborne game it has been in. And in this questline you get a ton of Larval Tears for respec’ing anyway, so I’ll respec to use it once I get it. I’ll also have to respec for the Rivers of Blood katana build as well. At this point, I don’t really see myself making very many multiple characters like I normally do. There’s just waaaay too much to this game to do it on multiple characters imo. I ain’t got that kinda time. I’m 80 hours in and I’m probably only halfway done with the game at this point, maybe a little over half but not by very much. Can’t imagine doing even a fraction of this stuff over again on a new character. ¯\(ツ)
Nah he was gutted, before the nerf his AoE attacks were so relentless that would catch you even if you were standing behind him.

His dmg was massive too, i had an okay amount of lvls invested in vigor back then and yet everything he does still one shots me. i had to modify my flask to give myself 1 extra hit cuz finishing the fight without taking any hits was extremely difficult. Now i see ppl left and right spamming him to death before he even gets to his 2nd phase. such a shame they'll never know how glorious this fight was.

here’s not a single CHANCE in hell ANYONE would be able to complete this questline without a guide. No possible way.
Yeah man, there was this part when Raidd was locked under ground and you're supposed to get him out. how the fuck were i supposed to know he was berried in that certain spot? :D

Darth-Nero

Also my character is ofc named Lord Raiden. i can't wait to finish the game so i can immediately start a new game plus and invest all my runes into making a full lightning build

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nah he was gutted, before the nerf his AoE attacks were so relentless that would catch you even if you were standing behind him.

View attachment 18559

His dmg was massive too, i had an okay amount of lvls invested in vigor back then and yet everything he does still one shots me. i had to modify my flask to give myself 1 extra hit cuz finishing the fight without taking any hits was extremely difficult. Now i see ppl left and right spamming him to death before he even gets to his 2nd phase. such a shame they'll never know how glorious this fight was.

Yeah man, there was this part when Raidd was locked under ground and you're supposed to get him out. how the fuck were i supposed to know he was berried in that certain spot? :D
Yeah that’s just super disappointing then. I was absolutely ready for an amazingly tough fight that I was going to be agonizing over for over an hour. Them… boop, I beat him. I was expecting a 2nd stage… that’s how easy he was. Ah well.. ¯\(ツ)

Darth-Nero

Yeah that’s just super disappointing then. I was absolutely ready for an amazingly tough fight that I was going to be agonizing over for over an hour. Them… boop, I beat him. I was expecting a 2nd stage… that’s how easy he was. Ah well.. ¯\(ツ)
dw there are many other bosses you'll meet along the way that will not disappoint. i guess they justify the nerf because Radahn is a relatively early game boss and they didn't want too many players getting gatekept by him from advancing the main quest. Hopefully this will be the last nerfs we see for bosses.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
Having a blast with this game, started as wretch, like to explore a LOT and haven’t had crazy hours to throw at it, so not got far. Exploring liurnia lake atm

Been double-scything for a while and just jumped to colossal sword for a change of pace and it’s great fun. Fai/Str build lvl sixty something. Bit of a glass cannon, but enjoying the tension that creates. Worried all the exploration has overlevelled me a bit.

Only other From game I’ve played is bloodborne, which I loved, but this is easily more fun than anything I’ve played in years.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Having a blast with this game, started as wretch, like to explore a LOT and haven’t had crazy hours to throw at it, so not got far. Exploring liurnia lake atm

Been double-scything for a while and just jumped to colossal sword for a change of pace and it’s great fun. Fai/Str build lvl sixty something. Bit of a glass cannon, but enjoying the tension that creates. Worried all the exploration has overlevelled me a bit.

Only other From game I’ve played is bloodborne, which I loved, but this is easily more fun than anything I’ve played in years.
I would def say over leveling trivializes a lot of bosses and content more so if you got a +10 weapon. I would say try to hold off for a long while at least until after 3-4 main bosses if you can if your worried.

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I would def say over leveling trivializes a lot of bosses and content more so if you got a +10 weapon. I would say try to hold off for a long while at least until after 3-4 main bosses if you can if your worried.
I’ve kept my weapons +6 for now, which helps I guess. Cheers, will crack on with some bosses to catch up

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I’ve kept my weapons +6 for now, which helps I guess. Cheers, will crack on with some bosses to catch up
Don't let anyone tell you how to play the game but also if your worried about over leveling just lay off and buy out all merchants inventory with your runes.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m still amazed at just how much I can improve in a particular new FromSoft Soulsborne game even though I’ve played every single one (including Sekiro of course), at least once all the way through. Like, I’ve put so many hours into both the PvE and PvP of all the Souls games. But every game is always just different enough to where I of course start off way ahead of say a beginner, but the games are different enough to where I suck at the beginning. Well, “suck” in this context is super relative, considering compared to someone that Elden Ring is their first Miyazaki FromSoft game, I’d be top tier in comparison, but I think y’all know what I mean. But getting better at a new “Souls” game is always a process, you’re never just automatically godlike in a new “Souls” game. Like, the whole process of learning all the new mechanics, unlearning habits developed in previous Souls games that don’t work anymore or that aren’t as good in the new one, learning all the new bosses and their patterns, etc etc.

Anyway, I’ve improved so much since the beginning. Obviously I have way better gear (armor, weapons, AoW’s, Spirit Ashes <which I almost never use SA’s anymore bc I think they’re too good>, higher level, etc etc), but I’m better at the game on a fundamental level.

That feeling of true progress, that gratifying realization that you’ve improved so much on a fundamental level, that type of genuine satisfaction of seeing and feeling the benefits of the time and work you’ve put into the game and getting better, THAT’S what I want for all Elden Ring players (Very similar feeling to finally beating a player in a FG that you’ve always struggled against, namely in a tournament match). That’s why I of course absolutely believe you should play however you like, but also strongly encourage you do certain things that don’t just make every big boss fight or big moment trivial and anticlimactic because you get carried by summons or you never get close to a boss and just use OP pew pew magic. Trust me, I’ve done it all, I’ve played Souls games in just about every legit way possible. I know how much of a difference going in blind AND beating a difficult boss is on your own VS summoning randoms or your overleveled friends to bum rush ‘em while you sit back and Harry Potter ‘em to death. I’m not saying there’s anything necessarily wrong with doing that, I’m just saying on your first playthrough, with all my years and thousands of hours of experience in these games, that absolutely gratifying feeling is only achieved via going into a boss fight blind and on your own. I want everyone to experience that feeling. I want people to struggle vs a tough boss and instead of getting lazy and overleveling, or summoning 2 friends + an NPC, I want them actually analyzing why they lost, studying the bosses movement and patterns, and getting better through their own determination and then finally beating that boss. Because man, ime there’s no other single player game that can offer you that type of truly self gratifying experience I don’t think.

And to be as clear as I possibly can, I’m very obviously not saying you HAVE to do this. Not even saying you OUGHT to do this. Just sharing that in my experience I have found that this is the absolute optimal way to get the most out of the game and experience at least in your first playthrough. I know how I felt the first time I did it (giggity), and I know how it still feels to this day when I do it (giggity). All this is is me strongly suggesting people try this approach out with at least one tough boss in their playthrough. If you still don’t care for it after that, you at least attempted it (and in this hypothetical were successful). I KNOW it takes way more work and is harder, that’s kinda the entire point. To truly appreciate the highs, you have to go through and endure the lows. And sure, success on its own is nice, most can agree on that. But succeeding despite all the hardships, constantly struggling, and relying on nothing but yourself and your will to win, being successful after that is just a new a better feeling entirely.

And again to reiterate, this is only my suggestion. Which is based on, as I said, playing through all of these games in almost every different way you can. If you don’t care and just want to beat the game as easily and quickly as possible, that’s your prerogative. If you want to overlevel to the moon so that you’re a God in the game, go nuts! I’m not some elitist saying this is how you HAVE to play or that if you don’t play the game a certain way you’re not a real gamer or anything like that. I simply just want people to experience the joy that I have experienced, that is all.

Anyway, Elden Ring = GOTC (Game of the Century)! :);)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Found out there’s a super OP Physick. Haven’t been able to test it (don’t even have it yet), but it seems way too good. The only thing I can think of on how to “counter” it, is to run around for 3-4 mins (however long it lasts) until it runs out. Basically, it super lowers your equip load, so you can go from “overloaded” to being able to mid roll for as I said, 3-4 minutes. Which is insanely good for PvP, especially for duels. Here’s a short video explaining it.

Like I said, I don’t even have the Tear or whatever it’s called to use in the Physick, so haven’t been able to test it. But it just seems like a ridiculously OP Physick item. And also as I said, the only thing I can think of on how to counter it is to try and stall out the time on it so that it runs out. But if everyone is using it in PvP/duel, that means everyone will take so much longer, granted you even are able to survive that long anyway. Definitely can see a nerf coming for this to reduce the amount of equip load it itself reduces.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’m surprised at how much I’m loving it! Although I’m honestly still pretty shocked that they thought the performance on PS5 / XSX was acceptable, there’s no reason this game shouldn’t be locked at 60 fps at least in the performance mode, considering the graphical fidelity isn’t exactly mind blowing either.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m surprised at how much I’m loving it! Although I’m honestly still pretty shocked that they thought the performance on PS5 / XSX was acceptable, there’s no reason this game shouldn’t be locked at 60 fps at least in the performance mode, considering the graphical fidelity isn’t exactly mind blowing either.
I’ve had zero performance issues on my PS5 with this game. In HDR mode on my 4k LG NanoCell smart TV, the game graphically looks absolutely stunning, especially when take into account the sheer vastness of the game. The graphics were probably not too high of a priority, and it still looks incredible. Not just purely the graphics, but also all of the animations, and the fluidity of the gameplay with those animations.

Not sure if you or some others aren’t using the correct settings, or if you don’t have a TV that supports HDR or whatever, but like I said, considering the vastness of this game and world, the online/multiplayer aspect, the unimaginable amount of detail, the unquestionably deep and well rounded combat & combat mechanics, not to mention all the time it had to take to balance the colossal amount of weapons, armor, Ashes of War/Weapon Arts for both PvE and PvP, all the story telling within the plethora of items that are in the game, the seemingly hundreds of side quests and long & detailed NPC questlines (most, afaik, being optional), with all that taken into consideration, the game visually looks impeccable. In fact, even if you don’t take all of that into consideration, the game still looks… untarnished (yes, pun absolutely intended).

¯\(ツ)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’ve had zero performance issues on my PS5 with this game. In HDR mode on my 4k LG NanoCell smart TV, the game graphically looks absolutely stunning, especially when take into account the sheer vastness of the game. The graphics were probably not too high of a priority, and it still looks incredible. Not just purely the graphics, but also all of the animations, and the fluidity of the gameplay with those animations.

Not sure if you or some others aren’t using the correct settings, or if you don’t have a TV that supports HDR or whatever, but like I said, considering the vastness of this game and world, the online/multiplayer aspect, the unimaginable amount of detail, the unquestionably deep and well rounded combat & combat mechanics, not to mention all the time it had to take to balance the colossal amount of weapons, armor, Ashes of War/Weapon Arts for both PvE and PvP, all the story telling within the plethora of items that are in the game, the seemingly hundreds of side quests and long & detailed NPC questlines (most, afaik, being optional), with all that taken into consideration, the game visually looks impeccable. In fact, even if you don’t take all of that into consideration, the game still looks… untarnished (yes, pun absolutely intended).

¯\(ツ)
Game is great and I don’t expect it to look as good as games like Horizon Forbidden West or even Demon’s Souls remake for all the reasons you mentioned.

I have a very good TV as well with, supports HDR, 120hz, HDMI 2.1, all that good shit the Best Buy nerd laid out for me, and the game looks very good, I just feel it should run at a locked 60. Look at the digital foundary review if you wanna know what I mean. That’s my only issue with the game is that 60 fps should be the standard now on console, across the board. Graphically, the game is certainly acceptable, but the 11/10 art style and world design is what makes it such a great looking game to me. I don’t care too much about graphics just because the game is as fun as it is.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Game is great and I don’t expect it to look as good as games like Horizon Forbidden West or even Demon’s Souls remake for all the reasons you mentioned.

I have a very good TV as well with, supports HDR, 120hz, HDMI 2.1, all that good shit the Best Buy nerd laid out for me, and the game looks very good, I just feel it should run at a locked 60. Look at the digital foundary review if you wanna know what I mean. That’s my only issue with the game is that 60 fps should be the standard now on console, across the board. Graphically, the game is certainly acceptable, but the 11/10 art style and world design is what makes it such a great looking game to me. I don’t care too much about graphics just because the game is as fun as it is.
I feel you man, it is very hard to go back to locked 60fps after playing at 144+ for 4 years. It is almost nauseating in a 3d game when panning the camera around (which is booty btw) Souls games animations are timed to the frame rate like a fighting game I assume that is the only reason they stay locked at 60fps.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I feel you man, it is very hard to go back to locked 60fps after playing at 144+ for 4 years. It is almost nauseating in a 3d game when panning the camera around (which is booty btw) Souls games animations are timed to the frame rate like a fighting game I assume that is the only reason they stay locked at 60fps.
See Iv only ever played on console so that’s not as big of a transition for me, but yeah sounds awful. The thing is though is that elden ring is SUB 60 FPS on console which is unacceptable to me because other games that are more demanding can do it.

I have talked about it too much though lol, because even with that in mind this is the most fun iv had with a game in a while. Like iv never played a game with performance this bad that iv enjoyed this much.

I still am not far in the game, but have done a ton of exploring. I’m lvl 40 something and I my weapon one hits almost everything in limgrave, I finally washed the tree sentinal and agheel dragon (I’m not bragging I know you guys are actually good at the game but I’m excited still), but I’m worried I might be over leveled for Margit the fell. I just keep getting distracted, I am running around and just see something that looks more exciting to me. Should I go fight him now and do some main quests before going back to exploring?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
See Iv only ever played on console so that’s not as big of a transition for me, but yeah sounds awful. The thing is though is that elden ring is SUB 60 FPS on console which is unacceptable to me because other games that are more demanding can do it.

I have talked about it too much though lol, because even with that in mind this is the most fun iv had with a game in a while. Like iv never played a game with performance this bad that iv enjoyed this much.

I still am not far in the game, but have done a ton of exploring. I’m lvl 40 something and I my weapon one hits almost everything in limgrave, I finally washed the tree sentinal and agheel dragon (I’m not bragging I know you guys are actually good at the game but I’m excited still), but I’m worried I might be over leveled for Margit the fell. I just keep getting distracted, I am running around and just see something that looks more exciting to me. Should I go fight him now and do some main quests before going back to exploring?
Oh damn my bad didnt realize it was running at less than 60fps that is utter shite than and you have every reason to be super salty.

I would say you def should stop leveling and I know its hard when you literally are drowning in runes from side content. Don't worry about runes they are so easy to farm it makes them pretty much a non issue.

I did the same as you but I chose not to lvl up past 14 -15 before I fought margit. I did not want to waste points due to not knowing how many respec items you will get on a single play through. later I found they relatively plentiful not infinite though. I stayed at lvl 41 through ranni quest line which I believe 3 main bosses in to be able to fully complete.

I would say get to the point where you can respec and maybe rethink where you should allocate points if needed and go from there. Also depending on your build and items you can make them game drastically easier regardless of lvl to a point.

If you want a challenge try not to lvl until you feel like you have no other choice but at the same time no one wants to spend all day on a boss for internet clout except nerds.