What's new

Question Ed Boon asks: "WHO DO YOU THINK ARE THE TOP 5 MOST OP FIGHTERS IN MKXL?"

Who do you think are the 5 most "OP" fighters in MKXL?

• Total voters

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I think everyone will eventually come around to Tarkatan being the best Alien variation, and maybe the best character. I do think that Demo is the best atm, though.

Who even uses Acidic outside of Sonic? I feel like if Acidic weren't such a yolo character, Reo would use it. I mean Reo loves zoning, right? He uses Tarkatan, though.

I've seen some tier lists that don't have Tarkatan in the top 5, or they don't have Tarkatan in the same tier as the best characters. I personally have Tarkatan at #2 and Acidic at like #6 or #7. It's crazy to me.

A character can't lose a match up because they can be option selected with armor, after the opposing character has already blocked a mix up. That doesn't make any sense. I was even saying that Kitana might edge out Tarkatan months back, but that's a total bill. Imo all of Tarkatan's possible losing match ups, besides Flamefist, are just so slight, even Jax. Like they're not even 4-6. Flamefist is only bad because Tarkatan can't play the match up correctly due to this hitbox. If that got fixed, he'd fuck Flamefist up lol.
Well if only the MIX gets touched, that better not get fixed so Tarkatan has a counter :p

CrazyFingers

Mystic is an overlooked bad match for Kotal.

Do anything after B1? Option select EX push or easy lift punish. Ermac is also as fast as Kotal and Kotal has to come in on him.

It's worse than Sub Zero imo. Sub Zero just makes the match hella slow. I don't think it's as bad as Alien, Piercing or Mystic. Just my opinion though.
Honestly, one of the WORST matchups in the entire game for Kotal is Lackey imo. He just has answers to everything kotal does for pressure

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Honestly, one of the WORST matchups in the entire game for Kotal is Lackey imo. He just has answers to everything kotal does for pressure
Using Kotal against F/T is one of the fastest ways to get a heart attack.

About as fast as eating a bucket deep-fried peanut butter sticks.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I puke a little when people post that Alien has safe 50/50s.

Can I get some of those in the next patch? I mean Alien is one of the most unsafe characters in the game. If he's getting hate for something that he doesn't have, can Alien players at least spend some time with it?

Sure he had safe 50/50s for 2-3 weeks, before the hotfix that ruined Triborg. I guess I shouldn't expect much from TYM.

Having to use meter to launch is even worse than just being unsafe. Alien is technically more unsafe than pre patch Ermac and Wrestler Jax, in Acidic.
When people talk about alien safe 50/50s they usually refer to the overhead or the low jailed into gapless, maximally delayed wreckers. That would be a safe 50/50 no?

Same as when people say Kano has safe 50/50s they obviously mean in cutthroat. I think that's pretty obvious...

Tweedy

Noob
Is it really that bad?

What's the issue, 114 xx air grab whiffing? Can you do 114 into sword, or just 114 stagger(still +2)?

Even with bugs I feel like Lackey is so buns that it might still be even lol. Lets talk about it, though.

Tweedy

Noob
When people talk about alien safe 50/50s they usually refer to the overhead or the low jailed into gapless, maximally delayed wreckers. That would be a safe 50/50 no?

Same as when people say Kano has safe 50/50s they obviously mean in cutthroat. I think that's pretty obvious...
From midscreen you can max delay the rekkas and be left safe, if they have no meter, on a lot of the cast.

Under any other stipulation the rekkas are not safe, no. They're definitely more safe than just doing F4 or B3 into EX overhead flip lol.

As an Alien player I would really like Kano's frame data, though, if they're being compared. Rekkas are nothing like a 0 low and a +1 overhead, that can be made +8 and +12 with meter. If Alien is in trouble for eating so many cookies, at least make sure that he had as many as you think. Nah mean? :p

Tweedy

Noob
100% spot on. I'd sooner fight Alien ten times over than fight Mystic, when using Kotal, it's a disastrous matchup.
Yeah

Tarkatan is still pretty bad too. He can punish all swords with rekkas, krawl under EX sunstone, os staggers with EX spin. I think it's Kotal's worst match overall, but Mystic definitely has a case as well.

CrazyFingers

Is it really that bad?

What's the issue, 114 xx air grab whiffing? Can you do 114 into sword, or just 114 stagger(still +2)?

Even with bugs I feel like Lackey is so buns that it might still be even lol. Lets talk about it, though.
Lackey can D1 out of ANY string into EX Disk. He can armor through and gap for free with BF3 since it has armor. Lackey doesn't have to worry about zoning because...well it's Kotal. He has buttons to compete with him and on any stray punish he will go absolute ape shit on his ass can just kill him. Lackey might not be great, but he can absolutely do very well in the Lackey matchup. Oh and on top of that our top pressure string can't combo him. Rip.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
From midscreen you can max delay the rekkas and be left safe, if they have no meter, on a lot of the cast.

Under any other stipulation the rekkas are not safe, no. They're definitely more safe than just doing F4 or B3 into EX overhead flip lol.

As an Alien player I would really like Kano's frame data, though, if they're being compared. Rekkas are nothing like a 0 low and a +1 overhead, that can be made +8 and +12 with meter. If Alien is in trouble for eating so many cookies, at least make sure that he had as many as you think. Nah mean? :p
If you wanna go that way then overhead or low into regular flip.

Tweedy

Noob
If you wanna go that way then overhead or low into regular flip.
7%, even if you're playing against a character that cannot punish it.

If it were another character, no one would care about a 7% overhead that's -7. It's nothing like a safe launching mix up.

Tweedy

Noob
Lackey can D1 out of ANY string into EX Disk. He can armor through and gap for free with BF3 since it has armor. Lackey doesn't have to worry about zoning because...well it's Kotal. He has buttons to compete with him and on any stray punish he will go absolute ape shit on his ass can just kill him. Lackey might not be great, but he can absolutely do very well in the Lackey matchup. Oh and on top of that our top pressure string can't combo him. Rip.
Do you feel like War God has a much easier time? That's pretty much where i'm coming from, I don't really play Sun God or Blood God.

CrazyFingers

If it were another character, no one would care about a 7% overhead that's -7. It's nothing like a safe launching mix up.
*cough* Kano. Listen I'm not saying, and I know for a fact you're not saying, that Alien isn't a broken piece of unspeakable horrors, but the damn character's 50/50's, while HIGHLY prevalent, isn't the damn problem. We need to stop that notion ASAP.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I think B122 xx Cmd grab with Sun God whiffs on F/T midscreen.

It's been a long time but I remember something shitty happening with that.

CrazyFingers

Do you feel like War God has a much easier time? That's pretty much where i'm coming from, I don't really play Sun God or Blood God.
I mean...im actually not sure. I know his gaps are abusable but idk if he can d1 out of EX Sword toss or not, I know he can still BF3 out of it tho...wait there's a gap there right?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

No, but you and I both know he's fucking stupid with his ridiculous range, ridiculous anti-air presence and armour in the neutral.

The 50/50s are hardly the issue but they are a talking point. It's disingenuous to represent them as bad when they're obviously very good and come from hella ranged normals.

Tweedy

Noob
I mean...im actually not sure. I know his gaps are abusable but idk if he can d1 out of EX Sword toss or not, I know he can still BF3 out of it tho...wait there's a gap there right?
B122 xx EX paddle does have a gap. 114 xx EX paddle does not.

His BF3 is definitely a strange move. He can't be too liberal with that because EX db1 will beat it, but it's all a read, obviously.

Tweedy

Noob
No, but you and I both know he's fucking stupid with his ridiculous range, stupid damage, ridiculous anti-air presence and armour in the neutral.

The 50/50s are hardly the issue but they are a talking point. It's disingenuous to represent them as bad when they're obviously very good and come from hella ranged normals.
They're not a talking point at all.

Put those 50/50s on Jacqui and she's the worst character in the game.

CrazyFingers

No, but you and I both know he's fucking stupid with his ridiculous range, stupid damage, ridiculous anti-air presence and armour in the neutral.

While the 50/50's ARE a talking point, I feel like that point has been talked to death. Anyone who has looked at the character for more than 5 seconds can tell you that it's a HEAVILY 50/50's based character. However you rarely hear people talking about the issues at hand, and THAT is the talking point I'd rather be hearing about.

CrazyFingers

B122 xx EX paddle does have a gap. 114 xx EX paddle does not.

His BF3 is definitely a strange move. He can't be too liberal with that because EX db1 will beat it, but it's all a read, obviously.
Ok so it very well could be better for War God, but keep in mind the other gaps the character has and while EX OH beats raw BF3, it DOESNT beat EX BF3, as that thing has two hits of armor. All in all, the War God matchup is either 5-5, or 6-4 Lackey, I can see him not losing the matchup but I can NOT see him winning it.

loogie

Noob
Don't start with me, dude. Tons of characters have things in the game that do 7% and are less than -7. Regular flip isn't broke just because it's Alien.

Snag is always punishable, unless done from range(which will stop you from doing it off of a mix), by the entire cast.

You know nothing of Alien and probably nothing of this game. If Alien got your suggested nerfs he'd stay (soap bar in my mouth).
I know enough and seen enough to say that if you didn't use Alien nobody would know a thing about you ... this is a very clear case of character helping the player (you) to win vs better players (e.g. brady). this is what I know.

your downplaying is beyond ridiculous

CrazyFingers

I know enough and seen enough to say that if you didn't use Alien nobody would know a thing about you ... this is a very clear case of character helping the player (you) to win vs better players (e.g. brady). this is what I know.

your downplaying is beyond ridiculous
How is pointing out that you can punish stuff and that a 50/50 that does 7% downplaying? That's just straight up stating facts.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
and why is it only the case that only Foxy does well with Piercing?
Surely, if she was as OP as some of the other top tiers we'd see more Piercing action from the other top players.
Again, I am not downplaying her. But she is beatable.
That's the most terrible argument you could have. Sonic fox used a lot of Gunslinger Erron in EVO top 8. Is Erron Black better than Kano now? Is Dualist better than Kano? I mean Dualast made a top 8 so he MUST be better than Cutthroat Kano. She was disgustingly over buffed.