What's new

D'vorah General Discussion

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
The patch buff to D'vorah's ex bug is very significant. It now comes out on block, and if its very early, it reduces the bug count to 2.

This allows for way more gimmicks in pressure. Try experimenting with block strings into EX bug. 2 1 bug. F1 bug. 4 bug.
I've been experimenting with that a bit myself, though most of my time has been with Baraka this week. There's no "good" way to do it, but if you've got respect it's nice.

Even if people start a punish on you, it can be worth it. Definitely makes me feel better about using it in the neutral, too.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes. I don't want to sound snarky but I'm pretty sure everyone has known that since launch. Just saying.
Has that been posted anywhere? And how are people complaining about that move if that’s the case?! You can get a safe, essentially free 25%+ for 1 bar of meter in the neutral! I’m not at my computer to test, but if b34 launches into a full kombo with this setup, then a jk should as well, right? So then a jk blocked and linked into b34 is a plus-on-block overhead-low into 25%+. Which can become an overhead-overhead if linked into f4. So on top of everything else, it’s a 50/50, and it jails into the bugs if they block it, so you actually get a 2nd safe 50/50 if they manage to block it. Am I missing something? Because I’ve been straight up dismantling people with this move, especially now that it comes out on block.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Has that been posted anywhere? And how are people complaining about that move if that’s the case?! You can get a safe, essentially free 25%+ for 1 bar of meter in the neutral! I’m not at my computer to test, but if b34 launches into a full kombo with this setup, then a jk should as well, right? So then a jk blocked and linked into b34 is a plus-on-block overhead-low into 25%+. Which can become an overhead-overhead if linked into f4. So on top of everything else, it’s a 50/50, and it jails into the bugs if they block it, so you actually get a 2nd safe 50/50 if they manage to block it. Am I missing something? Because I’ve been straight up dismantling people with this move, especially now that it comes out on block.
I mean there's no TYM post about it, but most don't post this stuff here. It's all covered in things like Honeybees early tutorial videos, and all the discord discussions where we do most of our tech talk.

Second Saint

Part of it is that you have to get people to actually respect you and not block low. I've had a great deal more success in making people let go of block entirely than in making them not block low. Most strep setups are not advantageous enough to guarantee a b3 without sacrificing even more damage than usual, and because of this one of the most common counter measures to the throw, jumping, also beats your low because of the slow start up and poor vertical hitbox. This combined with the recovery on b3 just means they get a slap on the wrist for disrespecting the setup.

I've also found it wildly inconsistent midscreen. Which is weird. That might just be me, but I can't find a setup that they have to respect, and still combos b34 midscreen.

Yes, I think the fact that we have to spend 2 bars for the chance to get the mix and damage most of the rest of the cast just has is unimpressive. Especially since we still must deal with all the wakeup options, since the strep does nothing to actually stop them, just limits the follow ups.

Also, the bugs don't jail. There are gaps between all of them, which some can actually d2 you through. Found that out the hard way when I was going for chip damage and that involved a f1.

B34 conversions were posted in the combo and video thread by me and the official guide or whatever by somebody else. This info has been disseminated.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I mean there's no TYM post about it, but most don't post this stuff here. It's all covered in things like Honeybees early tutorial videos, and all the discord discussions where we do most of our tech talk.
Gotcha. I wish people would post that shit here, because seriously, fuck Discord. And when people do post useful info on TYM, maybe not shit on it, even if it’s already posted elsewhere. Because not everyone likes hunting down tech in badly-organized chat apps. Not to sound snarky.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Part of it is that you have to get people to actually respect you and not block low. I've had a great deal more success in making people let go of block entirely than in making them not block low. Most strep setups are not advantageous enough to guarantee a b3 without sacrificing even more damage than usual, and because of this one of the most common counter measures to the throw, jumping, also beats your low because of the slow start up and poor vertical hitbox. This combined with the recovery on b3 just means they get a slap on the wrist for disrespecting the setup.

I've also found it wildly inconsistent midscreen. Which is weird. That might just be me, but I can't find a setup that they have to respect, and still combos b34 midscreen.

Yes, I think the fact that we have to spend 2 bars for the chance to get the mix and damage most of the rest of the cast just has is unimpressive. Especially since we still must deal with all the wakeup options, since the strep does nothing to actually stop them, just limits the follow ups.

Also, the bugs don't jail. There are gaps between all of them, which some can actually d2 you through. Found that out the hard way when I was going for chip damage and that involved a f1.

B34 conversions were posted in the combo and video thread by me and the official guide or whatever by somebody else. This info has been disseminated.
I legit don’t know what you expect to get for less than a bar of meter, since you start regenerating as soon as you drop the sack, which sounds like the filthiest sentence of all time. Can any other character spend a bar to get 2 50/50’s into 25%+? Yes, there are gaps. Yes, you have to be careful about specific ways to interrupt. But it’s a bar. And it’s very easy to get out, especially now that it comes out on block.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Gotcha. I wish people would post that shit here, because seriously, fuck Discord. And when people do post useful info on TYM, maybe not shit on it, even if it’s already posted elsewhere. Because not everyone likes hunting down tech in badly-organized chat apps. Not to sound snarky.
I'm not shitting on it. Ex bug into mixup is good. If you hit back34, or sweep, you can get combo. It's good. There wasn't any way to say "this is known" without sounding dismissive. But there are other places people go these days and info is spread out.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm not shitting on it. Ex bug into mixup is good. If you hit back34, or sweep, you can get combo. It's good. There wasn't any way to say "this is known" without sounding dismissive. But there are other places people go these days and info is spread out.
Ok, but that response on TYM is not helpful
to anyone if that info is not already posted on the site. This is the MK forum. If the info has to be searched for on other platforms then fuck TYM, right? This site is fucking doomed...

Second Saint

I legit don’t know what you expect to get for less than a bar of meter, since you start regenerating as soon as you drop the sack, which sounds like the filthiest sentence of all time. Can any other character spend a bar to get 2 50/50’s into 25%+? Yes, there are gaps. Yes, you have to be careful about specific ways to interrupt. But it’s a bar. And it’s very easy to get out, especially now that it comes out on block.
I had this big long post getting ready to refute some of these points, but I had to do my homework on some of them. God forbid I say something inaccurate, right?

I was going to say that you don't get two 25% 50/50's in the corner. Well I was wrong about that. You get a 33/33/33, then 2 50/50's, provided the first two attempts are overheads. You still have enough time to convert off the low on the second attempt if the overhead is blocked. I just sacrificed the damage from the setup for maximum hit advantage so they have to hold the low and you have so many options. I'm still not a fan of how much you have to leave on the table to start it, but you can nearly make that up in chip damage if you go expressly for that. Also, since the maximum hit advantage corner combo is [starter] amp db1, 4~df3, I'm fairly certain it works just fine if they breakaway, though I have not checked this.

So I'm just going to go ahead and say I was wrong about it's effectiveness, but I stand by the points I've made about it's inconsistencies. My conversions and frames shouldn't be so tied to random chance.

Should.....should meter regeneration be called the refractory period now? I mean, it fits. Although not all bars are equal and df3 has an especially long, turgid cool down to account for the time it tends to take up.

Second Saint

Oh, and what combo do you do from b34 after amp strep? I get about 280 off b34, bugs, 4, 4~df2, but I think I could squeeze out a little bit more, though I've yet to land it.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Oh, and what combo do you do from b34 after amp strep? I get about 280 off b34, bugs, 4, 4~df2, but I think I could squeeze out a little bit more, though I've yet to land it.
I haven’t had much time to lab since learning b34 kombo’d. I’m wondering if it’s possible to go into any air time bug setups into another df3.

Second Saint

I haven’t had much time to lab since learning b34 kombo’d. I’m wondering if it’s possible to go into any air time bug setups into another df3.
Definitely not. I've been down the air ticking time bug route, and the move has so much recovery you can't make it positive on hit. However, in the few matchups where you can actually zone, that might work.

Midscreen, [starter] amp db1, jik~bf1 puts a bug under them at a good distance and you're only -9 or so. You could make a mind game out of that which involves putting down a bug to make it even worse to approach you.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Definitely not. I've been down the air ticking time bug route, and the move has so much recovery you can't make it positive on hit. However, in the few matchups where you can actually zone, that might work.

Midscreen, [starter] amp db1, jik~bf1 puts a bug under them at a good distance and you're only -9 or so. You could make a mind game out of that which involves putting down a bug to make it even worse to approach you.
Yeah, air bug is such a bill right now due to the insane recovery. The amount of time she just stands there after landing is insane. I play against Kotal and Jacqui a lot, and it's nuts how easy it is for them to completely avoid the bug and punish by just walking forward on reaction.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’ve played no one but D’Vorah for the past few weeks. I’ve had a ton of success with her, but she absolutely has some serious issues, so here are my patch requests.

First, what problems need attention:
  • It’s no secret that her punish game is non-existent, but I don’t think just boosting her damage is the right way to go. Thanks to her loops and frame traps, she can actually melt health bars pretty consistently, so I worry that an overall damage buff would be too much. She just needs maybe a tiny overall buff, and a major buff to her punishes and metered kombos.
  • Her air time bomb bugs need attention. The long air recovery is fine, but the amount of time she spends stuck after landing is insane.
  • Her db1 seems to be all but useless right now. The recovery is just so long and the payoff so little that the risk isn’t worth it, especially when you can just drop a Strepsiptera instead and go for better setups.
  • Her recovery on whiff is pretty extreme. Combined with her bizarre hitboxes, she is at more risk throwing out normals than almost any other character.
  • Her strepsiptera is inconsistent on hit. Other juggling moves, like Lao’s spin and Raiden’s orb, always pull the opponent into the same animation, regardless of the spacing when they were hit, allowing for consistent conversions.
  • The priority of her normals is atrocious. If another character sneezes, their sneeze will beat her normals. You would think that wish such lackluster zoning, characters like Skarlet and Shang wouldn’t be able to steamroll her so easily in the neutral.
So here are my proposed fixes:
  • Fix her punish game by allowing 12 to kombo into amplified db1. This would at least allow her to kombo as a punish. Amp db1 should also do maybe 4% more damage, allowing her to reach close to 25% 1-bar if she ends with standing 1 into a meterless setup. This would help her catch up to other characters damage-wise without affecting her loops or other pressure whatsoever.
  • I think a long delay for air time bomb bug makes sense, but not once she lands. I think she should recover almost instantly upon landing. That’s assuming it’s meant to be used for defense and setups. It could be made into a more traditional zoning tool by keeping the recovery the same but increasing the damage to 6%. Though I’d rather have low damage, short recovery.
  • I think if they reduce the recovery of db1 slightly, it will help her a lot. And maybe increase the hitbox width of amplified db1.
  • Reducing the whiff recovery on some of her normals would go a log way towards reducing the unnecessary risks associated with her kit.
  • On hit, when juggling, I think strepsiptera should allow the same consistent conversions as Lao spin and Raiden orb. I love strepsiptera and think it’s a very strong move, but the inconsistencies make it too easy to waste meter on a botched setup.
  • I’m not sure what to do about the priority of her normals, I just know it isn’t right that she gets bulldozed by characters with so much stronger zoning. I do think the 2nd hit of f22 should always connect if the first hit connects. As it is now, her viable range isn’t nearly as good as it seems since she needs to be in range of that 2nd hit, not the first hit. One idea, though this could be totally overkill, would be to remove the hurtboxes from her extra legs. So f22, j1, the 2nd hit of 12, b1, f4, and maybe even b4 wouldn’t have hurtboxes.
  • Oh, and if the first bug in amplified bf1 hits, then the 2nd bug should hit consistently. I’m sick of opponents getting hit with the first bug but sometimes being able to block the 2nd for no apparent reason.
  • With those changes, I think she would sit comfortably at upper mid tier, somewhere around Skarlet, Shang, Lao, and other not-totally-broken characters.

Last edited:

Second Saint

I’ve played no one but D’Vorah for the past few weeks. I’ve had a ton of success with her, but she absolutely has some serious issues, so here are my patch requests.

First, what problems need attention:
  • It’s no secret that her punish game is non-existent, but I don’t think just boosting her damage is the right way to go. Thanks to her loops and frame traps, she can actually melt health bars pretty consistently, so I worry that an overall damage buff would be too much. She just needs maybe a tiny overall buff, and a major buff to her punishes and metered kombos.
  • Her air time bomb bugs need attention. The long air recovery is fine, but the amount of time she spends stuck after landing is insane.
  • Her db1 seems to be all but useless right now. The recovery is just so long and the payoff so little that the risk isn’t worth it, especially when you can just drop a Strepsiptera instead and go for better setups.
  • Her recovery on whiff is pretty extreme. Combined with her bizarre hitboxes, she is at more risk throwing out normals than almost any other character.
  • Her strepsiptera is inconsistent on hit. Other juggling moves, like Lao’s spin and Raiden’s orb, always pull the opponent into the same animation, regardless of the spacing when they were hit, allowing for consistent conversions.
  • The priority of her normals is atrocious. If another character sneezes, their sneeze will beat her normals. You would think that wish such lackluster zoning, characters like Skarlet and Shang wouldn’t be able to steamroll her so easily in the neutral.
So here are my proposed fixes:
  • Fix her punish game by allowing 12 to kombo into amplified db1. This would at least allow her to kombo as a punish. Amp db1 should also do maybe 4% more damage, allowing her to reach close to 25% 1-bar if she ends with standing 1 into a meterless setup. This would help her catch up to other characters damage-wise without affecting her loops or other pressure whatsoever.
  • I think a long delay for air time bomb bug makes sense, but not once she lands. I think she should recover almost instantly upon landing. That’s assuming it’s meant to be used for defense and setups. It could be made into a more traditional zoning tool by keeping the recovery the same but increasing the damage to 6%. Though I’d rather have low damage, short recovery.
  • I think if they reduce the recovery of db1 slightly, it will help her a lot. And maybe increase the hitbox width of amplified db1.
  • Reducing the whiff recovery on some of her normals would go a log way towards reducing the unnecessary risks associated with her kit.
  • On hit, when juggling, I think strepsiptera should allow the same consistent conversions as Lao spin and Raiden orb. I love strepsiptera and think it’s a very strong move, but the inconsistencies make it too easy to waste meter on a botched setup.
  • I’m not sure what to do about the priority of her normals, I just know it isn’t right that she gets bulldozed by characters with so much stronger zoning. With its 20 startup frames, I almost think f2 should be a mid. I do think the 2nd hit of f22 should always connect if the first hit connects. As it is now, her viable range isn’t nearly as good as it seems since she needs to be in range of that 2nd hit, not the first hit. One idea, though this could be totally overkill, would be to remove the hurtboxes from her extra legs. So f22, j1, the 2nd hit of 12, b1, f4, and maybe even b4 wouldn’t have hurtboxes.
  • Oh, and if the first bug in amplified bf1 hits, then the 2nd bug should hit consistently. I’m sick of opponents getting hit with the first bug but sometimes being able to block the 2nd for no apparent reason.
  • With those changes, I think she would sit comfortably at upper mid tier, somewhere around Skarlet, Shang, Lao, and other not-totally-broken characters.
I agree with 95% of this. If you took the hurtbox off of j1, as much as I would love that, she'd probably cause some problems. Do you use nj1 in the corner? Specifically after a forward throw. It beats all wakeup u3's, all u2's except Kabals, forward rolls, basically everything but getting up and then anti airing her. Take that hurtbox away and I don't think there would be counter play. Just straight up hold this j1 in the corner after forward throw. Which I would definitely abuse if given the chance, but I think that's probably not the best decision.

I think a possible solution to the damage problem from her setups is to make s3 special cancellable. S3 has pretty much the same hit advantage (+40), only varying by 1 or 2 if you hit them really high up, no matter when it's used in a combo. With some decent cancel advantage on that, she'd be able to do longer combos into a proper setup more consistently, which is effectively a damage buff, and a normal that's rarely used would become a staple. Not sure if it would help midscreen though.

I'm always going to want s2 to be a mid. It'll probably never happen, but I think it should. It's just not fun when the answer to someone mashing d1 is that I have to mash d1 or throw back. It would be a good block string and lead to nothing more than that, outside of amp strep setups in the corner.

While some of the changes you've mentioned would effect the character as a whole, I don't think they address a lot Arachnophobia's issues. To see that variation playable, I'd like to see:

The last hit of f224 as a special mid. Meaning if they're blocking, it gets blocked, but they can neutral duck it to punish it. I think this was actually the intent, given how the KB's on parasite work, but because it gets ducked while blocking, that doesn't really work. Why else would you block that overhead late, especially when you can't stagger f22?

Faster startup on Widow's Kiss so that it can be more useful as an anti-zoning tool and preferably enough to use it as a combo ender.
Let's make these real.
I never found a way to make it an HTB like I wanted, but that's some restand pressure right there.

Deadly Swarm needs a full on overhaul to be good, imo. It simply costs too many resources as it stands now, and ironically you end up sacrificing damage to apply all the bugs at once with amp bf4 because the startup is changed and can only be linked from different combos that overall do less damage than if you'd gone for the reg bf4 ender. Either way, you end up with a choice between [starter] amp bf4 into a d1/throw mixup, then call back the bugs once you've got some hit advantage and distance, or you do a launch combo and have to wait forever for the chance to call back your bugs because you're out of offensive meter.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad design, but the sheer cost of it keeps it from being that useful. If there was a way to cash out meterlessly, that would be amazing. Either a meterless call back that does half damage or what I would prefer is that the bugs come back if you land a throw.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Second Saint Great points, and I certainly agree that removing those hurtboxes could be overstepping. It also just makes sense that they would have hurtboxes since they're part of her body. And yeah, I legit forgot Deadly Swarm was a variation. That teleport can be nice in some matchups, but the damage scaling is too severe, considering the slow startup and negative frames.

One thing I forgot to mention is that f222d(1+3) is an overhead that can whiff on crouch-blocking characters, getting D'Vorah full-kombo punished. What? Why not making an anti-air that whiffs on airborne opponents, it would make just as much sense.

How is anyone getting pass people that just walk backwards (killing her set ups)? When I pursue the opponent I get beat out because none of her buttons are fast enough.

Second Saint

How is anyone getting pass people that just walk backwards (killing her set ups)? When I pursue the opponent I get beat out because none of her buttons are fast enough.
Sounds like you need to trade damage for more hit advantage. What setup are you using? Max hit advantage one I know midscreen is [starter]~amp db1, micro dash 21~df3

Ok.... what did I miss? Since when does the Strep bug come out when you block an attack??!!

Second Saint

Ok.... what did I miss? Since when does the Strep bug come out when you block an attack??!!
It's always done that if you were advantageous enough, and a couple of hot fixes ago amp df3 started coming out with 2 bugs if you blocked an attack. At the time, I wondered if it had always actually done that, but it's something I'm sure I checked, and it seems odd that it would have been some sort of mass hallucination.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
It's always done that if you were advantageous enough, and a couple of hot fixes ago amp df3 started coming out with 2 bugs if you blocked an attack. At the time, I wondered if it had always actually done that, but it's something I'm sure I checked, and it seems odd that it would have been some sort of mass hallucination.
@iAteUrLife yeah, it was definitely changed the last patch that had a bunch of game fixes. They didn't announce it. But ex bug used to not come out. Now it does, but it removes one of the bugs which limits it's ability to covert.